MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Pieter C.

Skyteam news

But, MH and KL have been together for 12 years. If this relationship favours MH entry into ST, it would have happened when MH showed their interest back 5-6 years ago. However, I'm still hoping MH will join ST or any other alliances (VS wants to set up fourth global alliance).

Now, wouldn't that be interesting if MH ended up being a founding member of another global alliance?! The already have a close relationship with Virgin Blue and their FF programme where you can earn status credits from either. I wouldn't be too shocked if there ends up being another global alliance that includes Malaysia Airlines, the Virgin Group (Virgin Atlantic, Virgin Blue, V Australia and Virgin America) and Etihad as the founding memebers...

Now, wouldn't that be interesting if MH ended up being a founding member of another global alliance?! The already have a close relationship with Virgin Blue and their FF programme where you can earn status credits from either. I wouldn't be too shocked if there ends up being another global alliance that includes Malaysia Airlines, the Virgin Group (Virgin Atlantic, Virgin Blue, V Australia and Virgin America) and Etihad as the founding memebers...

Unless Singapore 49% stake in Virgin Atlantic, RB investment in D7, and relationship between TF and RB doesn’t count.

From what I've read form another forum, AR plan to acquire ex-QR A346 is out of the window. However, they do plan to take more A343 in and A333 or A332, I can't remember.

I do recall under IJ time, he said MH doesn't find being in an alliance beneficial as it requires you to cut ties with some existing code share partners and going into bed with new ones. At that time, MH just didn't have the time to do that as it was busy 'plugging the hole on the sinking boat'. To expand in it network, MH signed gazillion amount of code sharing deals with numerous airlines throughout the Earth. Grab a copy of MH's Going Places, you will know what I mean.

The situation might have changed now as most big FSC of SEA are now in alliance. MH may really need to buckle up for another roller coaster ride. Hopefully FY will supplement MH network and not cannabalising into MH's own bread and butter route. :rolleyes:

Don't forgot Emirates and Qatar Airways as well. 2 bid Middle-Eastern players :yahoo:

Don't forgot Emirates and Qatar Airways as well. 2 bid Middle-Eastern players :yahoo:

The only reaon why I singled out Etihad is that they've got a huge partnership with Virgin Blue/V Australia now.

The only reaon why I singled out Etihad is that they've got a huge partnership with Virgin Blue/V Australia now.

ahh i see. pardon me for my ignorance.

ahh i see. pardon me for my ignorance.

You have been pardoned! ;)

read airliner mag that Etihad will be joining Star Alliance.

Could Star Alliance be looking at wooing Virgin Blue into their fold? They used to have Ansett (RIP) and now they have no access into Australia and the Oceania region except through Air New Zealand and the Asian carriers.

Ultimately, I still see MH being a better fit into SkyTeam than any other alliance out there.

Could Star Alliance be looking at wooing Virgin Blue into their fold? They used to have Ansett (RIP) and now they have no access into Australia and the Oceania region except through Air New Zealand and the Asian carriers.

Ultimately, I still see MH being a better fit into SkyTeam than any other alliance out there.

Personally I dont think so...as this has been discussed somewhere in this forum.....In SEA, we now have Garuda( going to join) n Vietnam Airlines in Skyteam....if MH joins, it will be too many cooks will spoil the soup....however if they do join, im glad.....as I can start reusing my Enrich which has been in storage for years.....

Spoke to a colleague today (yes, had to work on Christmas-day :( ), and he told me, MH will go back to KL handling @ AMS next year and they (MH) will become Associate Member of Skyteam in 2011; with the recent JV signing between MH and KL, it's obvious who will be the 'sponsor' for them within ST... :pardon:

Spoke to a colleague today (yes, had to work on Christmas-day sad.gif ), and he told me, MH will go back to KL handling @ AMS next year and they (MH) will become Associate Member of Skyteam in 2011; with the recent JV signing between MH and KL, it's obvious who will be the 'sponsor' for them within ST... pardon.gif

Hi Pieter, what is the diff between full member and Associate Member ?......

Copy from ST website...

The SkyTeam Associate Program caters to carriers in strategic regions who are interested in becoming affiliated with SkyTeam and its alliance benefits. Passengers traveling with an Associate carrier receive the same benefits offered to passengers traveling with the 11 current SkyTeam member airlines, including frequent flyer programs and improved access to airport lounges.

Associate member such as TAROM and Kenya Airways has adopted Flying Blue as their FFP. Will MH adopt Flying Blue or they will stay with their Enrich?

Edited by suadrif

Associate member such as TAROM and Kenya Airways has adopted Flying Blue as their FFP. Will MH adopt Flying Blue or they will stay with their Enrich?

Why would they have to adopt Flying Blue when they already yave their own FF programme (Enrich) which they can use in reciprocation?

Actually, this has got me thinking about Virgin Blue and whether they'd be considering a global alliance. They already have reciprocal FF arrangements (earning, redeeming and status) with MH as well as lounge useage for international Virgin passengers in SYD and MEL. They've also just finalised an arrangement with Delta. Delta is in SkyTeam and MH looks like it could be joining in the not too distant future...

Copy from ST website...

The SkyTeam Associate Program caters to carriers in strategic regions who are interested in becoming affiliated with SkyTeam and its alliance benefits. Passengers traveling with an Associate carrier receive the same benefits offered to passengers traveling with the 11 current SkyTeam member airlines, including frequent flyer programs and improved access to airport lounges.

IMHO TAROM & Kenya Airways don't have a strong frequent flyer program, which is why they've easily adopted KLM's frequent flyer program as their own. MH's Enrich is a different story.

Pieter, good news for MH finally. Finally, KL have managed to help pull MH out of the muddy water!

Apart from the JV with KLM, i think one of the earlier signs was that MH moved to Terminal 4 in Heathrow - this is where most of the skyteam carriers operate from.

Edited by Izanee

MH already have code-share and hub&spoke arrangements with both KLM and Alitalia in Europe. They also have Delta as their Enrich partner.

However, I don't think MH have any code-share or flight agreements with AF. Is this right? MH's website states that AF is a partner of Enrich but I have never been able to earn Enrich miles when I fly AF. Does anybody have an explanation for that???

Copy from ST website...

Will ST gold and platinum FFP cardholders permit to use Enrich lounge at KUL?

Will ST gold and platinum FFP cardholders permit to use Enrich lounge at KUL?

Unfortunately, yes... The Golden Lounges will become more crowded if MH joins SkyTeam...unless there are some restrictions. It's like SQ's lounges in StarAlliance. If I had a choice between an SQ lounge an a UA lounge, I know what 99% of passengers would choose. MH's lounge in LHR T4 will become much more crowded because people would prefer that lounge to other SkyTeam members' lounges. I've heard that some of AF's lounges are pretty bad... :(

The Golden lounge in KUL will also become more crowded. You'll have China Airlines, Garuda, KLM and China Southern passengers using that lounge... <_>

Edited by Josh T

The Golden lounge in KUL will also become more crowded. You'll have China Airlines, Garuda, KLM and China Southern passengers using that lounge... <_>

Do not forget Vietnam Airlines; they're also part of ST and operate into KUL...

Do not forget Vietnam Airlines; they're also part of ST and operate into KUL...

Good lord...I forgot about them! I know the Golden Lounge in KUL is big but it won't be anywhere near as pleasant to be in if MH joins SkyTeam... :(

MH deem Golden lounge superior than others. Unequal ‘privilege’ was a reason cited for MH not joining alliance :pardon:

On one hand, the CEO declared recently joining alliance is not benefiting MH but on the other hand, MH is becoming an associated member of ST :sorry:

MH deem Golden lounge superior than others. Unequal ‘privilege’ was a reason cited for MH not joining alliance :pardon:

On one hand, the CEO declared recently joining alliance is not benefiting MH but on the other hand, MH is becoming an associated member of ST :sorry:

Let me tell you that MH Golden Lounges are far superior to a lot of lounges I've been to and these include flagship lounges such as Austrian's lounge in VIE, BA's Galleries lounge in LHR T5, all UA Red Carpet Club lounges (they're the worst!). I've heard that QF's First Class lounge is one of the best and so is TG's First Class lounge in BKK.