MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
S V Choong

Royal Brunei Airlines B777-200ER

So where do you get this info? and I wonder when all the 4 777 will enter service?

So all 6 767 will be phase out immedaitely?

I work for a company contracted to BI. All should be around in the next 6 months or so. Not all the 767's will be phased out as a result, although one is already earmarked to replace 763 P2-ANG at Air Niugini

i always thought RBA buys new planes....

They have bought (leased-in?) used planes before, such as the F50s, the ex-Swissair F100s, ex-Olympic 762.

Even their current 319/320s are leased.

They don't have access to unlimited cash...contrary to popular belief, the roads in brunei are not paved with gold...

Edited by mushrif a

..... contrary to popular belief, the roads in brunei are not paved with gold...

Be that as it may, they sure are built to a better spec (hence by extrapolation, cost more) than those here (ie. Sabah) :)

Had a look at Bandar Seri Begawan's urban planning with Google Earth the other day, it seems that Brunei and Malaysia are of different worlds when it comes to Urban planning strategy. Brunei follows the formal patterns of suburbia similar to those in the West, but those in Malaysia are a bit more chaotic. Wouldn't say which is better than which as Western ideas may not be suited to the East, but hope you follow what I mean.

Back to the topic. Here's one for you, BC. V8-RBA and V8-RBB Boeing 757-2M8 are Royal Brunei for the public, whilst V8-RBC are a royal craft for the sultan. V8-RBC was sold to the government of Uberkistan when the narrow bodies are not a thing for the Sultan ;)

Ah, so V8-RBC was the one with the fabled golden taps in the loo then ?! :)

BTW, any idea as to its cabin configuration ? Normal 'public transport' scheme or the 'private bird' luxury ?!

Any which way, you have to say the RBA colours was very striking on the 752's. Hard to explain, but that is how things go !

Touching back on urban planning, it only works if fruit of the 'planning' bit is observed and adhered to. Unfortunately, it seems we here have new plans and ideas each and every time a new chap comes on board - which inevitably messes up whatever good intentions the original planners had in the first place :rolleyes:

Edited by BC Tam

Back to the topic. Here's one for you, BC. V8-RBA and V8-RBB Boeing 757-2M8 are Royal Brunei for the public, whilst V8-RBC are a royal craft for the sultan. V8-RBC was sold to the government of Uberkistan when the narrow bodies are not a thing for the Sultan ;)

Myth...not fact.

All 3 757-200s were for public use by BI, although the Sultan and/or family may have leased (borrowed?) one for personal use some many yrs ago for adhoc flights, but I supposed this was when they only had 727s. (They then had a fleet of GVs, A310, 747SP, A340s, 767, 744...who needs airline-standard 757s?)

V8-RBA/B/C all operate scheduled flights with normal airline seats, and they were the first 3-class 757s with extended range (ER). The first class cabin (I think 16 seats) had gold plated metal fittings, including the loo, and comes with leather seats (2 by 2 across). Busines was 3-2 across and Y was the standard 3-3. There were no PTVs but TV screens were located on top of the centre aisle every 3-4 rows. They were probably the most nicely equipped 757s when delivered in 1987 (but probably nothing great based on what's available these days) and flew as far as BWN-DXB-LGW on scheduled flights.

Before the 767-200s arrived, the older 737s were also re-furbished to 757s standards, with the same styled F seats with gold plated fittings.

RBA Introduces Boeing 777 into Fleet Family

Royal Brunei Airlines will be acquiring Boeing 777 Extended Range aircraft on lease with the first due to arrive in the 3rd Quarter of 2007. The B777 aircraft will be used mainly on the long-haul routes to Europe and Australia. This aircraft will vastly improve Royal Brunei Airlines' capabilities by offering a higher passenger and cargo load capacity. The aircraft will also present the opportunity to operate direct flights to London.

The B777 aircraft offer a seat capacity of 273 seats, which is significantly higher than the current Boeing 767 capacity. It will have a three-class configuration, encompassing Royal Executive Class with 12 seats, Darussalam Class with 46 seats and an Economy Class with 215 seats. The introduction of the new Royal Executive Class gives premium travellers the opportunity to upgrade to a class that offers "cocoon" flatbed sleeper seats, which provide plenty of space and privacy.

The leased B777 aircraft are an interim solution to the airline's re-fleeting programme, which, in line with RBA's Strategic Business Plan, aims to phase out the current Boeing 767 aircraft. Under the re-fleeting programme Royal Brunei Airlines will also acquire new Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft that have been ordered and are due for delivery in late 2009.

RBA B777-200ER will be offering 273 seats.

Royal Executive Class : 12 seats

Darussalam Class : 46 seats

Economy Class : 215 seats

Nothing about the seat pitch or IFE yet. Lucky for BKI spotters. Knowing BI, the B777-200ER (and soon the B787) will be a common visitor at BKI.

Edited by Isaac

Wow, they running the 772 for BKI, hv to fly on one of this flight! Been 11 years since I've been to Brunei! :yahoo:

Just a quest, how BI fare compare to others?

Edited by Seth K

Nothing about the seat pitch or IFE yet. Lucky for BKI spotters. Knowing BI, the B777-200ER (and soon the B787) will be a common visitor at BKI.

We 9M-BKI members will be most elated.

Just a quest, how BI fare compare to others?

Well, i know BI is cheaper than MH for the flight to LHR. BI flight to LHR from BKI has 2-stops compared to MAS 1-stop (BI @ BKI-BWN-DXB-LHR) and (MH @ BKI-KUL-LHR). And there is no alchoholic drinks served on BI flights.

This is undoubtly a great news! Thanks for sharing Issac!

Seth, the fare BI offered is always lower then other Asia major airline, eg MAS and SQ. And their service is always good too!!

By the way, the name "Darussalam Class" is from Brunei's complete name - Negara Brunei Darussalam

Well, i know BI is cheaper than MH for the flight to LHR. BI flight to LHR from BKI has 2-stops compared to MAS 1-stop (BI @ BKI-BWN-DXB-LHR) and (MH @ BKI-KUL-LHR). And there is no alchoholic drinks served on BI flights.
Exactly, i paid RM4,753 for a Q Class fare from BKI-KUL-LHR on MH and my mum only pay RM2500++ for a return prompotional fare on BI. The ticket on RBI is refudable with a penalty of RM300 for a full cancellation. A change on the date outbound journey is subject to RM100 and inbound is not subjet to any penalty. The fare offer by MAS on the Malaysia Travel fairs is priced at RM3,800++ with no changes at all since it is a L fare. :rolleyes:
We 9M-BKI members will be most elated.
Just cant wait to see the 1st B787 landing in BKI soon...guess RBA will be the 1st operator to use this plane to land in BKI. Yahoo....gentlemen pls get urself ready for this plane soon :rolleyes:

Since the aircraft is an ex UA machine (prior to going to RG), it would probably retain the same UA 777 hardware like seats and IFE equipment etc.

Thanx for the fare info Chan and Isaac :drinks:

I think they might just keep and add more seats to the plane bcuz iirc United have 240F/C/Y onboard their 772ER.

With this, we can confirm that BI will order some 787 :yahoo:

Edited by Seth K

Since the aircraft is an ex UA machine (prior to going to RG), it would probably retain the same UA 777 hardware like seats and IFE equipment etc.

I think below is the seat map for BI 772

CLICK ME !

- Royal Executive (ex-United Airlines First Class, also current First product) has 78" pitch

- Darussalam section (ex-United Airlines Connoisseur Class) has 48" pitch

- Economy section (**pre-introduction of United Airlines Economy Plus). All has standard seat pitch = 31".

Edited by Isaac

Hello. This is my first post, and i've decided to post here being a Royal Brunei enthusiast myself. By the way, i saw on Rolls-Royce's website that its customers for the Trent 1000 engine for the 787 Dreamliner includes Royal Brunei Airlines, so i guess this confirms their speculated orders, though it should be any day now that Boeing makes an official announcement.

Hello. This is my first post, and i've decided to post here being a Royal Brunei enthusiast myself. By the way, i saw on Rolls-Royce's website that its customers for the Trent 1000 engine for the 787 Dreamliner includes Royal Brunei Airlines, so i guess this confirms their speculated orders, though it should be any day now that Boeing makes an official announcement.

Hello Mr/Ms RBA, welcome to MWings. Hope you have a pleasant and fruitful (no to mention fun) time with all of us here.

Yes, the RBA's new developments on its 777 additions has been exciting indeed.

Oh yes, RBA, we have a sort of a policy here (but we see it as being 'as real as possible') that we are on "real name basis" here at MWings. Not to say that "full name" is necessary, though. Contact Gavin our very garang but cuddly (!) admin for your username to be made more appropriate. We don't want to forever call you Mr/Ms ArBeeAye, do we?

:drinks:

Once again, glad to have you in the circle, Mr/Ms ArBeeAye (see?)

Heheheheh.....

Welcome abord MW..hope ur stay here in a pleasant one...i just wonder what is ur real name? :clapping:

Hello again. Thanks for the warm welcome, guys. I guess you can just call me Shaiful. About Mr. Arbeeaye...i guess i could use that as my alias in my I.C....hahaha... I look forward to my great stay here too!

Thanks for the news Isaac.

By the way, since when has RBA ordered the 787s??? I can't locate their logo on Ewan's signature!

By the way, since when has RBA ordered the 787s??? I can't locate their logo on Ewan's signature!

I'm not sure either. Neither does Boeing nor Royal Brunei Airlines had make any official announcement about it. Initially it was the Bruneian newspapers that made it like it was official (about the B787 order) even though BI itself never released any statement regarding the B787 orders. But since it was mentioned in RBA recent news release about their B777-200ER, i believe it's true. These BI B787 orders could still be listed under Boeing's UFO list.