MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Chan CS

MAS chided for ‘down-grading’

MAS chided for ‘down-grading’

KUALA LUMPUR: A Senator yesterday slammed Malaysia Airlines (MAS) for “downgrading” its service, likening it to the low-cost service of its subsidiary, FireFly.

Senator Datuk Wira Syed Ali Syed Abbas Alhabshee alleged that MAS seemed to have lost direction and was no longer focused on providing its service.

“When (low-cost carrier) AirAsia was to be formed before, all kinds of things were said, including in this chamber, but today, now that AirAsia exists, the government has approved its scope (of operations) as well as that of MAS, but recently a MAS subsidiary named FireFly has been set up,” he said during the debate on the motion of thanks to the Yang di-Pertuan Agong for his address when opening the current session of Parliament.

“I cannot understand why FireFly was set up. Does it want to compete with AirAsia? What I see is that MAS has lowered its service to become a budget airline.”

MAS describes FireFly, officially launched last month, as a community airline serving destinations which are not financially viable for MAS and which caters to the budget traveller.

Syed Ali raised the issue when he interjected as Senator Datuk Musa Sheikh Fadzir spoke about the tourism industry in his speech supporting the motion of thanks to the Yang di-Pertuan Agong.

Syed Ali said MAS as a national carrier must concentrate its efforts on raising the performance of its international flight services and not compete with AirAsia.

“AirAsia is not its competitor … MAS as a national carrier bears the nation’s name; its real competitors are Singapore Airlines or Emirates Airline which serve at the international level,” he said.

If MAS truly focused on its international service it could become the best airline in the world, he said, urging that the government review what the airline’s direction should really be.

“We don’t want MAS, because of its intense desire to compete with AirAsia, finally end up being taken over by AirAsia,” he said.

Referring to Visit Malaysia Year (VMY) 2007, Syed Ali questioned whether all the promotional efforts had really helped increase visitor arrivals.

“We have spent millions of ringgit to promote VMY 2007 but has this resulted in drawing more tourists? If the increase in arrivals isn’t that much more than recorded in previous non-VMY years, it’s better to have used the money for other things.”

Syed Ali felt that domestic tourism should in fact be better promoted by tour agents as well as foreign and local airlines, especially during VMY 2007.

“Why aren’t domestic tourism packages being sold? MAS, for example, should offer low cost fares to encourage both foreign and local tourists to travel around the country,” he said.

“Instead, most of the low fare packages are for foreign destinations,” he said, proposing that the electronic media be roped in to help promote local tourist destinations.

–Bernama

http://www.theborneopost.com/?p=18385

What you all say? Really pity MAS sometimes...

The senator is just talking from his "behind". ...like many others.

MAS is not reducing service to FY levels, with both operating as separate entity. Just like MI and SQ.

In fact, FY now is operating one of the routes which MH was asked to re-introduce after the so-called rationalisation exercise, i.e. PEN-LGKvv.

As for his nonsense on why MH is not offering packages for people to visit M'sia, he is just being naive and ignorant (what's new there?). One should just visit MH's website for other countries and inbound packages to M'sia are plentiful.

In fact, the Senator should criticise his colleagues in the government for backtracking on the rationalisation exercise where MH, in the guise of FY or some other vehicle, may have to operate the RAS.

They are just senator... no need to worry about what they say...

I second that. But quite scary that someone in power talk when he don't know what he is talking about.

I recall an opposition leader (can't remerber weather Lim Kit Siang or Karpal Singh) once said that senators are political has beens. In a sense some of them really are 'expired' politicians.

Though the focus of that article is on Domestic travel, I'd like to say that the service for International travel has deteriorated significantly. Just look at the inflight meals - smaller portion and more plasticwares introduced onto the tray!! :angry:

Though the focus of that article is on Domestic travel, I'd like to say that the service for International travel has deteriorated significantly. Just look at the inflight meals - smaller portion and more plasticwares introduced onto the tray!! :angry:

Not quite. MH has been gradually improving on this recently . Casseroles are gradually coming back to replace those awful alum. throwaways. Now if only MH can reintroduce menus.

Now if only MH can reintroduce menus.

And cheese plates!

A friend went on MH C in March and said that there was no cheese. Is the cheese and port service back? Can't imagine a major airline without a cheese and port service.

Well, this is an example of sum1 not so big, talking bigger than himself, yet not sure bout the real fact.. There's a reason FY is being set up & he does not understand it.. Well, a 6-year-old would know the simple logic of "don't know, ask..". Well, here, not only he failed to bring MH's level down, he brought himself down.. he should be ashamed & i think he owes MH an apology for being so naive..

Though the focus of that article is on Domestic travel, I'd like to say that the service for International travel has deteriorated significantly. Just look at the inflight meals - smaller portion and more plastic wares introduced onto the tray!! :angry:

What??? No way........inflight meals are significantly improve, significantly! Smaller portion? I dunno about that, I think it's average, I dunno if you hv big stomach Tony :rofl: Regarding about the plastic wares, I dun find that change important, infact I didn't realize it after you mention it. Good for airlines plastic=light, but not so good for "classy" pax :rolleyes:

How FY downgrade service? The use the exact same aircraft/seat/metal like they used before? Politicians around the world are the same :diablo:

What??? No way........inflight meals are significantly improve, significantly! Smaller portion? I dunno about that, I think it's average, I dunno if you hv big stomach Tony :rofl:

Yes I do have a big stomach, Seth. :D

MAS as a national carrier bears the nation’s name; its real competitors are Singapore Airlines or Emirates Airline which serve at the international level,” he said.
So why on earth Government allow AKX to even start? It's not MH try to compete with AK but it's AK who want to compete with MH! does he ever think of that? Now with AKX the Govt have to negotiates for both MH and AKX when sending envoy to other country for possible landing right. Instead of just MH as nationals carrier.

If MAS truly focused on its international service it could become the best airline in the world, he said, urging that the government review what the airline’s direction should really be.

So again why on earth the Government interfere with MH bussiness decision? Like keeping EWR route and giving back to RAS to MH? SQ is the best airlines because nobody interfere with their bussiness decision. and nobody to tell SQ to do this and that.

“We don’t want MAS, because of its intense desire to compete with AirAsia, finally end up being taken over by AirAsia,” he said.

But the Govt is the one who responsible for it if it's happen for bowing to a lot of AK request. Like LCCT why would the govt have to build it just for AK? when in DUB, AerLingus, Ryanair, AerArann can all share the terminal? After all the airport fees are being paid by the pax not the airlines. So why AK whinging for high airport tax in KUL? And of course the govt probably open KUL-SIN before 2009 another decision in favour of AK. Who's screwing who? this is exactly what happen to many GLC

This YB talking bla bla bla, so that they will called concerned YB ...

This Yb already get 25 % discount still want to complaint ?

Better u buy your own aircraft and fly yourself ...

Pure stupidity......cant imagine ppl like that speaking that way..either they've not been reading enough newspapers..or, they are purely ignorant...FY is NOT competing with AK...how is it a competition when they service routes which AK doesnt???

As usual these so called senators do not understand the system at all. They only know how to comment like they know something but they do not realize that they are actually commenting how "bodoh nak mampus" they are in front of the public.

Edited by Ivan Ong

Guest Michael

Ok fair enough I see new and larger casseroles are actually coming with the enhancement to the meals.

..... I see new and larger casseroles are actually coming with the enhancement to the meals

Wow, they going to serve the sand-wic in casserole dishes ?!

And "enhancement to the meals" is just advertising hype at this point in time as far as us joe public are concerned, nothing in reality, yet. On the contrary, I believe there is more than ample evidence just within this forum alone to suggest 'dis-enhancement' is the more likely scenario

There are a couple of less than complimentary MH flight reviews currently posted on Skytrax.

Little Malaysian Hospitality shown by some.

As stated previously, if IJ & co persue this 5* LCC nonsense then my next trip to Oz/NZ will be on SQ or NZ.

There are a couple of less than complimentary MH flight reviews currently posted on Skytrax.

Little Malaysian Hospitality shown by some.

As stated previously, if IJ & co persue this 5* LCC nonsense then my next trip to Oz/NZ will be on SQ or NZ.

Yes the latest reviews gives MH 1 star!

O/T, you are better off with SQ. NZ does not fly to SIN, BKK or KUL anymore. Unless of course you could bother to catch NZ from HKG or PVG. If you come to Auckland, NZ after mid-May, you could fly on the 777-300ER.

Sign in to follow this