MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mushrif A

Rats and snake onboard AK flight to MYY

Local Couple Nabbed With Snake And Rats A Miri Airport

By Liza Mohd

Bandar Seri Begawan - It was indeed a live enactment of the hit movie snakes on a plane when a real life snake allegedly smuggled by a Bruneian couple on budget carrierAirAsia caused a frenzy over one-hundred flight passengers boarding a tight from Kuala Lumpur to Miri on Sunday morning, the Malaysian daily newspaper Berita Harian reported.

The married couple however denied smuggling the pet snake which was spotted by a horrified passenger on the floor of the aircraft but admitted to illegally importing forty-six baby rats that they stored in a box, hidden inside a backpack they carried into the plane.

The Berita Harian reported Malaysia Airport Berhad (MAB) vas carrying out thorough investigations as to how the reptile and mammals managed to infiltrate the safety control of the budget carrier airport in Sepang on Sunday.

The MAB Miri Manager Sunif Naiman responding to the incident said they had submitted a report to the MAB headquarters in Kuala Lumpur to investigate the findings of forty-six baby rats and a pet snake on flight AK5254 which touched dour from KL at 7.45 in the morning.

Nevertheless, as soon as the aircraft landed in Miri airport the authorities failed to locate the thumb-size thick pet snake claimed by a passenger to have spotted it on the floor of the aircraft.

The MAB representative went on to say that baby rats were discovered inside a backpack belonging to a Brunei couple.

"The couple admitted to bringing baby rats by concealing them inside a box which they stored in a bag they carried into the plane. The baby rats were smuggled to feed the pet snake," the official was quoted as saying in Berita Harian.

"Despite that, the couple also denied bringing the pet snake" he said adding that flight passengers were in total chaos and lifted their legs when they spotted the uninvited reptile on the floor of the plane.

The mystery of the snake caused a delay on the return flight back to LCCT from 10.05am on the same day to I .40pm, as soon as authorities were satisfied on the safety guarantee of passengers who boarded the flight.

Meanwhile, all the rats found in the air carrier were seized and sent to the Veterinary Dept at Miri Agriculture Department.

The official Dr Sajim Jinim said while confiscation was made, the Brunei couple failed to produce a health certificate of the imported rats, apart from not possessing an official permit to import the rats into the country.

"The baby rats are in quarantine, waiting for further instructions from the department headquarters in Kuching on the next action to be taken against the Bruneian couple," he stated.

AirAsia spokesperson when contacted by the daily newspaper said they were handing the matter to MAB for further investigation.

They were quoted as saying, "It's up to MAB to take further action on this matter". -- Courtesy of Borneo Bulletin

lousy security..yet MAB want to increase RM5 for their security charge per head...

it was 9M-AFI by the way..

Who knows there is another person actually smuggling the snake, and the Bruneian couple was so unlucky because their rat got catched, while the other person escaped, you know what is the security....

What the heck..... :blink: ????

Wahhh.....this is totally crazy,man.Totally crazy.

I really can't believe it at all <_>

Many years ago one of my passengers managed to bring a snake onboard my flight in JHB. While my crew were arranging the items in the overhead bin, an Indonesian passenger asked her to be careful as his bag had a snake! We called security who checked and found the snake and removed it. At that time I too asked the question didn't MAB security spot the snake when the bag went through the x-ray?

How do they answer? *OT

Of course not <_ i use to wonder why had write voyage report everyday....... never get replies.>

MAB security will make sure your bags goes thru the security machine and check your boarding pass / crew ID. Whether they actually look at the monitor diligently is anybody's guess. For domestic flight, the security I think is minimum.

ive just watched snakes on a plane two days ago.

its not nice at all having snakes on a passenger flight.

didnt the scanning machine at the airport detected the snakes?

Why should security be minimum in domestic flight ?

Peoples lives are at stake here ..

I think its important that safety procedures should be standard for all flight and terminals..

Maybe AK should start doing something instead of leaving it to MAB..

it is indeed totally craz for bringing animals into the plane,,,wat to say a reptile a snake!!!

have u ever wonder how if the snake get the chance to get out from the cage and moving around the plane,,

and and and how if there is passenger saw it while the plane had oledi take off..will the passenger(s) shout for help???

and cause all the passengers onboard tad plane to be panic oso

than wat should the pilot do??

do u want to make all the people on the plane to be panic and pilot to be confuse just bcoz of u!!

think bout it!!!