MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Seng Lim

MAS Travel Fair 2007

I found the ad bit weird <_>

Can't wait to check out the discount price, I hope when the fare cut 70%, the tax doesn't raise 70%. EWR-ARN-EWR at USD199 :blink:

If this 70% off air ticket prices keeps up, maybe I can come back to Malaysia this year :yahoo: :yahoo:

International fares outbound from Malaysia has been released as well:

http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/matf2007/p...07_malaysia.pdf

All price quoted are One Way basis and travel period is 24 Feb to 30 Sep (must complete by 30 Sep). Seems like they didn't have 'min/max stay' restriction anymore which is good. However can definitely noticed the price for some destinations like Australia is higher compared to previous offers. Higher price is traded for one way flexibility and no restriction on max stay I guess (maybe due to certain level of directly flight monopoly as well).

Good luck for everyone.

Some selected destinations, return fare inclusive of tax and surcharges...

Hong Kong

299 x 2 + tax 259 = 857

Maldives

409 x 2 + tax 541 = 1359

Tokyo

669 X 2 + tax 573 = 1911

Perth

599 X 2 + tax 749 = 1947

Dubai

799 x 2 + tax 590 = 2188

Istanbul

842 x 2 + tax 614 = 2312

Sydney

799 x 2 + tax 792 = 2390

Paris

949 x 2 + tax 749 = 2647

Amsterdam

999 x 2 + tax 727 = 2725

Cape Town

1099 x 2 + tax 671 = 2869

London

999 x 2 + tax 976 = 2974

Los Angeles

1099 x 2 + tax 879 = 3077

Some selected destinations, return fare inclusive of tax and surcharges...

Hong Kong

299 x 2 + tax 259 = 857

Maldives

409 x 2 + tax 541 = 1359

Tokyo

669 X 2 + tax 573 = 1911

Perth

599 X 2 + tax 749 = 1947

Dubai

799 x 2 + tax 590 = 2188

Istanbul

842 x 2 + tax 614 = 2312

Sydney

799 x 2 + tax 792 = 2390

Paris

949 x 2 + tax 749 = 2647

Amsterdam

999 x 2 + tax 727 = 2725

Cape Town

1099 x 2 + tax 671 = 2869

London

999 x 2 + tax 976 = 2974

Los Angeles

1099 x 2 + tax 879 = 3077

any full service competitor airlines in this region can out price the above with tax and fuel surcharge included. not mention better cancellation t&c. the only disadvantage is to have 1-stopover instead of non-stop flight, which most leisure travellers won't mind.

I cannot even log in into MAS's website... But anyone saw how AirAsia responded? Haha...

MAS sales will only start this midnight (00:00 31 Jan) so far there wasn't any congestion on their website.

99% discount by AirAsia, haha.

Their economy class sales fares to aussie cities in the past as followed:

SYD, MEL, BNE, ADL = RM1300 return excluding taxes and surcharge.

PER = RM1000 return excluding taxes and surcharge.

how bout AKL? <_<

how bout AKL? <_>

Pls refer to the link at Post 29 or go to Malaysia website directly, the whole list is there.

I think the best way to avoid web congestion (a la Air Asia sales) is to make phone booking at 1300883000 and make the payment/collection at any MAS town office or agent (in KL, i recommend KL Sentral MAS Office). I wouldn't want to risk making large amount of payment over the internet and getting "cannot display page" message once you click the submit payment details button. :angry:

KLM is also having special offers ex-KUL, with very competitive fares to Europe and North America. Booking until Mar 31, travel from 26 Mar.

http://www.klm.com/travel/my_en/special_of...ffers/index.htm

RM 2725.-- for AMS is an excellent deal: come, guys, grab it and I'll show you around :pardon:

Well if you pay by Mastercard u'll get a chance to win air tickets as well :

Book with your MasterCard branded card during the sale period via Malaysia Airlines Ticket Offices, Travel Agents, Kuala Lumpur Call Centre or Online and you will get a chance to win one of seven pairs of Economy Class tickets to any destinations in Malaysia and ASEAN countries of winner’s choice serviced by Malaysia Airlines.

Platinum MasterCard cardholders will get a chance to win a pair of Business Class tickets to any destinations in Malaysia and ASEAN countries of winner’s choice serviced by Malaysia Airlines.

I did my bookings with MAS & AK before during their sales period and touch wood so far everytime has been alright. You just need to try several times. If it's appear 'cannot display page' that means the transaction didn't go through due to traffic congestion. Just keep trying and once it's has gone through you'll receive the confirmation + phone call from the credit card center shortly (foreign bank always very fast in calling while local banks depends) for the online transaction verification purposes.

any full service competitor airlines in this region can out price the above with tax and fuel surcharge included. not mention better cancellation t&c. the only disadvantage is to have 1-stopover instead of non-stop flight, which most leisure travellers won't mind.

Agreed. I'm pretty sure SQ would come out with something very soon.

You are quite right about that. MH so-called sale fares are not that cheap after determining the out-of-pocket amount payable. EK's fares tend to be very good with hardly any of those fuel surcharge nonsense, and it is pretty obvious they spend more $$ for food per pax in Y versus MH.

Agreed. I'm pretty sure SQ would come out with something very soon.

However SQ always restrict their special promo fare on GV2 basis (min 2 to go). This has been the main reason why I couldn't fly with them for the past few years although I always prefer SQ over MH at anytime.

Some update from The Edge:

http://www.theedgedaily.com/cms/content.js...c21000-df4e0c52

Tremendous response to Malaysia Airlines Travel Fair 07

The week-long Malaysia Airlines Travel Fair 2007 (MATF) got off to a tremendous start on Jan 31 with the airline reporting RM1 million sales via the Internet for the domestic sector within the first hour.

MAS commercial director Datuk Rashid Khan said on Jan 31 this was excluding the international ticket sales and Golden Holidays packages.

“Our call centre received 6,400 calls within the first two hours today and on Tuesday there were 14,500 calls enquiring on MATF. On a normal day, we receive about 8,500 calls,” he said.

He was speaking to reporters after visiting MAS ticketing office at the Kuala Lumpur Sentral Station on Jan 31. Also present to brief the press was MAS senior general manager for network and revenue management, Bernard Francis.

MAS senior general manager for network and revenue management, Bernard Francis with MAS commercial director Datuk Rashid Khan

Bernard said MAS was offering a total of five million seats with discounts of up to 70% on its annual fair from Jan 31 to Feb 6 for travel period from Feb 24 until Sept 30, 2007.

Many passengers were seen queuing at MAS ticketing office at Kuala Lumpur Sentral to snap up the bargain fares especially to popular destinations in Europe and Australia.

Rashid said MAS was confident of maintaining or surpassing the RM180 million sales achieved at last year's MATF as the point of sales has been extended to 2,900 agents in Asean apart from the 527 local agents in 2007.

He said MAS recorded an average RM27 million in ticket sales daily on a normal day.

The airline is also offering 250,000 domestic seats with fares as low as RM9 as part of its Visit Malaysia Year 2007 (VMY) promotions with bookings from Jan 30 to Feb 6.

The fares, which range from RM9 to RM199, were offered exclusively online at www.malaysiaairlines.com for 23 destinations for travel within a seven-month period starting March 1.

Rashid also dismissed a suggestion that MAS was resorting to a price war, as he said the airline faces competition from 300 airlines globally everyday.

“After the domestic route rationalisation, Malaysia Airlines can sell at any price depending on the demand and supply as well as the economics of running the airline.

“This is our strategy for Visit Malaysia Year,” he said.

“We can offer such competitive fares following the efficiency we achieved under – Project Omega – by looking at fares available in the market and realigning it with our reservations,” he said.

My parents made a few calls yesterday, but the offer doesn't seem attracting enough, price low, but plus tax =@ . Try to book KUL-HKG, MH offer MYR60 lower than CX onboard MH A333 with no better IFE, Naah, let just go for CX A333 <_ the domestic saver one sounds great perhaps a side trip to kk and tgg i darn sure miss awana kijal so much src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_yahoo.gif" alt=":yahoo:">

Edited by Seth K

My parents made a few calls yesterday, but the offer doesn't seem attracting enough, price low, but plus tax =@ . Try to book KUL-HKG, MH offer MYR60 lower than CX onboard MH A333 with no better IFE, Naah, let just go for CX A333 <_ the domestic saver one sounds great perhaps a side trip to kk and tgg i darn sure miss awana kijal so much src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_yahoo.gif" alt=":yahoo:">

I tried the online booking for flights to Australia. Looks like they only do one way and return fares online. I am still figuring out how to book an open jaw ticket (KUL-BNE, then MEL-KUL) looks like I need to phone them up.

Seth you're right, the fare doesn't seem attractive... even SQ normal web fare (min 2 ppl travelling together) is about RM200+ cheaper... :(

Was looking for KUL/CGK/KUL with MH. The travel fare price was more than RM600. The normal web fare from KL is RM400 plus and EK RM526. So what's so special with the MH? why pay more to fly on their B734/A333 when for less I can fly the KL's B744 or better still EK's B773 with in-seat IFE! My final choice? EK!

why pay more to fly on their B734/A333 when for less I can fly the KL's B744 or better still EK's B773 with in-seat IFE! My final choice? EK!

Do you really need IFE for a 1 hour 30 minutes flight ? Wonder if EK will even switch on their IFE on such a short stretch :huh:

If you want to 'collect' a nice KLM souvenir (Delft-blue house), why don't you try KLM business-class (upper-deck) for around RM 1300 return ? :p

Yes I have to agree the sales price for some of the route wasn't really that attractive, indeed they have increased the price for certain routes. One of the best example would be on Australian route where they have increase RM200 to RM300 per return flights across the board (supersaver/Matta for Syd/Mel/Bne/Adl is $1300++ while Per is $1000++ but this year travel fair they increased it to RM1600++ for East Coast Aust and RM1200++ for Perth).

Although they have lifted the min/max stays restriction and can purchase the ticket on one way basis but still the increase of 20%+ compared to previous sales price was kinda dissapointing. I'm sure a lot of bargain hunter will stay out from this round of sales and wait for the coming MATTA fair (16-18 March).

I guess this explained why there are still lots of sales fares availability for most of the international routes.

I'm going to Beijing in June, with this offer, maybe i can go HK in May

Do you really need IFE for a 1 hour 30 minutes flight ? Wonder if EK will even switch on their IFE on such a short stretch :huh:

If you want to 'collect' a nice KLM souvenir (Delft-blue house), why don't you try KLM business-class (upper-deck) for around RM 1300 return ? :p

Yes they do have the IFE on. I have flown KL on that route and it was a good flight. But EK is a far superior product.