Ewan Shamsudin

PEN - KCH

From the NST:

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Mon...icle/index_html

Now everyone can fly from George Town to Kuching direct

01 Jan 2007

By Sulok Tawie

KUCHING, MON:

Kuching City and George Town, Penang, will have direct air links when low-budget carrier AirAsia flies between these cities next month.

The airline will fly on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday in the middle of February between these two cities.

Sarawak Assistant Minister of Tourism Datuk Hamden Ahmad said today the airlink would enable foreign tourists in Penang to also come over and spend their holidays in Sarawak.

Waaah... now Penang and Kuching folks can cut travelling times, not to mention costs! What's next? KBR-BKI??? I'd fly back more often if it happens hahahah...

Georgetown, Penang? :blink: :blink:

Got airport in georgetown ah? :rofl:

haha.. Of course no la bro.. Penang is too small for 2 airports. Not to mention in the middle of the city summor.. I tink they meant the Bayan Lepas 1.. haha.. Media mistakes.. :rolleyes:

I think most of the goverment servants espeacially teachers if they posting to KCH next time will more easy to travel to this palces already because they no need to transfer their fright in KUL if they really want to fly with AK!!! :rolleyes:

What's next? KBR-BKI??? I'd fly back more often if it happens hahahah...

May be. Who knows :) Because BKI is getting a non-stop flight to PEN too (AK).

haha.. Of course no la bro.. Penang is too small for 2 airports. Not to mention in the middle of the city summor.. I tink they meant the Bayan Lepas 1.. haha.. Media mistakes.. :rolleyes:

maybe they just started a new airport / waterport dekat Padang Kota...sea plane maybe and land on the Sarawak River then moored up Kuching Waterfront...hmmm why not..never know kannn...

May be. Who knows :) Because BKI is getting a non-stop flight to PEN too (AK).

BKI and PEN are popular with their resorts and nature beauty, I bet nature lovers aka tourists will take flight from X(ex. MNL,HKG etc) fly to BKI>>PEN>>Phuket>>BKK with AK nonstop...............

Edited by Seth K

This is great. I see AK is a firm believer in point to point flights as opposed to MH's hub and spoke, which waste people's time and create artificial traffic for KUL, just so KUL could be the 'best' airport in 'x' million of passengers a year.

Since Penang taxi fares, especially out of PEN is relatively obscene (e.g. RM50+ to Batu Feringghi) perhaps there should be a SkyBus service too, if PEN gets to become AK's northern hub and become busier. By the way AOR is also vying for that too.

Edited by Rozhan

A great news, this is, i must say. Never thought of this... it has always been PEN-KUL, KUL-KCH, vise-versa. and now, PEN-KCH. great! and yes, more flights and traffics in PEN, it will be.

Ah yes, congrats to AK for their 50th A320. 50th already? man, that's fast... say buh-bye to B733...

A great news, this is, i must say. Never thought of this... it has always been PEN-KUL, KUL-KCH, vise-versa. and now, PEN-KCH. great! and yes, more flights and traffics in PEN, it will be.

Ah yes, congrats to AK for their 50th A320. 50th already? man, that's fast... say buh-bye to B733...

I think 15th is more likely. We have a total of 26 alphabets, and I don't think AK has finished using AF"X" registration series.

Ya... i thought it was 15th too and maybe i misread it. but after shifting through stacks of Star newspaper here in my office, YUP... it is 50th.. believe it or not...

Try Star newspaper 27th Dec, Star Biz section, 1st page titled 'AirAsia embarks on 2nd chapter'. Go to 4th last chapter. it reads... 'The carrier received its 50th A320 aircraft last week,...'

If you look through 26th Dec Star (think so), there's a full page advert of Airbus thanking mr tony for 50th airbus...

The alphabet does have 26 letter but have you checked AK's 'store' (hangar or whatsoever-place they keep the brand-news...)

Hmm... how do you hide enormous vehicles from prying eyes...? Belum forest?

Edited by Yusoff

Ya... i thought it was 15th too and maybe i misread it. but after shifting through stacks of Star newspaper here in my office, YUP... it is 50th.. believe it or not...

Try Star newspaper 27th Dec, Star Biz section, 1st page titled 'AirAsia embarks on 2nd chapter'. Go to 4th last chapter. it reads... 'The carrier received its 50th A320 aircraft last week,...'

If you look through 26th Dec Star (think so), there's a full page advert of Airbus thanking mr tony for 50th airbus...

The alphabet does have 26 letter but have you checked AK's 'store' (hangar or whatsoever-place they keep the brand-news...)

Hmm... how do you hide enormous vehicles from prying eyes...? Belum forest?

Star is definitely wrong here; it might be 50th aircraft (both Boeing/Airbus) and not 50th A320 :angry:

Only 15 A320's have been delivered sofar: AFA u/i AFO...

This is great. I see AK is a firm believer in point to point flights as opposed to MH's hub and spoke, which waste people's time and create artificial traffic for KUL, just so KUL could be the 'best' airport in 'x' million of passengers a year.

Since Penang taxi fares, especially out of PEN is relatively obscene (e.g. RM50+ to Batu Feringghi) perhaps there should be a SkyBus service too, if PEN gets to become AK's northern hub and become busier. By the way AOR is also vying for that too.

A SkyBus kind of service would do just great! Many can benefit from the service, may it be AK or other airline passengers since there is virtually ONE terminal at PEN. Possible route would be Airport - Bayan Lepas town - Georgetown - Jetty - [reverse the sequence]. A direct bus serive to the Butterworth bus terminal would be good also as passengers can catch connections to the other major mainland towns such as B.M., S.P., Alor Setar, Parit Buntar :lol: , etc...

Star is definitely wrong here; it might be 50th aircraft (both Boeing/Airbus) and not 50th A320 :angry:

Only 15 A320's have been delivered sofar: AFA u/i AFO...

:angry: huh!!!... mislead by the media again... :angry:

Good to know that AK is launching PEN - KCH direct service!! :clapping: Lets hope the load will be good and won't end up like the others AK shortlived routes such as IPH-JHB, KBR-JHB, BKK-BKI, KUL-BPP!

..... AK shortlived routes such as ..... BKK-BKI, .....

Still flying afaik !

Actually MH did try KCH/PEN/KCH previously - obviously not too successful then

Still flying afaik !

Actually MH did try KCH/PEN/KCH previously - obviously not too successful then

Not too long ago, MH2610 did the direct but-not-non-stop single plane service between PEN & KCH with a stop in KUL. The same aircraft then flew to BKI via MYY and LBU.

So, one can do a direct PEN-BKI on the same plane with 4 stops in between. Must be fun with all the landings and take-offs.

Edited by mushrif a

Not too long ago, MH2610 did the direct but-not-non-stop single plane service between PEN & KCH with a stop in KUL. The same aircraft then flew to BKI via MYY and LBU.

So, one can do a direct PEN-BKI on the same plane with 4 stops in between. Must be fun with all the landings and take-offs.

Yeah, I did the route once on a business trip to BKI from PEN. Really really fun with 4 stops in between. But my business associate who were travelling with me and who were not so fond of flying, weren't that happy.

A SkyBus kind of service would do just great! Many can benefit from the service, may it be AK or other airline passengers since there is virtually ONE terminal at PEN. Possible route would be Airport - Bayan Lepas town - Georgetown - Jetty - [reverse the sequence]. A direct bus serive to the Butterworth bus terminal would be good also as passengers can catch connections to the other major mainland towns such as B.M., S.P., Alor Setar, Parit Buntar :lol: , etc...

Good idea about the SkyBus Penang version. But they must definitely upgrade or build a new modern and dedicated bus terminal in Butterworth.

It is a shame, real shame that Penang, one of the most developed state in Malaysia and a major tourist destination and transit point has one of the worst bus terminal in the country. And this has been the condition for many many years since the original Butterworth bus terminal was destroyed by fire.

As a Penangite, I think the state of the state is getting from bad to worst in recent years. I did a drive around the Penang Island on Tuesday, and what I saw prompt me to believe that Penang is NOT really ready for Visit Malaysia Year 2007.

Good idea about the SkyBus Penang version. But they must definitely upgrade or build a new modern and dedicated bus terminal in Butterworth.

It is a shame, real shame that Penang, one of the most developed state in Malaysia and a major tourist destination and transit point has one of the worst bus terminal in the country. And this has been the condition for many many years since the original Butterworth bus terminal was destroyed by fire.

As a Penangite, I think the state of the state is getting from bad to worst in recent years. I did a drive around the Penang Island on Tuesday, and what I saw prompt me to believe that Penang is NOT really ready for Visit Malaysia Year 2007.

I agree on a new, true bus terminal in Butterworth. The eixsting one is like a rural serive bus terminal!

Fitri, could you please elaborate on what areas Penang should step up to be ready for the VMY 2007? I'd personally suggest the streets (cleanliness and pot holes)...

I am not expert in Penang area, but I've been there and I did use the bus terminal. If I remember correctly, the bus terminal is pretty comfortable and new, the one that is situated beside the flyover. Is it?

Edited by Seth K

Sign in to follow this