MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Pieter C.

China orders passengers back to their seats

October 13, 2006

China is cracking down on airline passengers who change seats, smoke and wander the cabin at inappropriate times, threatening them with fines of up to 10,000 yuan (USD$1,300), local media reported on Friday.

Airlines in China, a relatively new player in air travel, have previously taken a relaxed attitude to the flouting of in-flight rules, with cabin staff invariably ignoring the stowing of oversized luggage and allowing fliers to swap seats at will.

But in a sign of changing times, 18 Chinese air marshals last month completed two weeks of training in the United States on how to be armed undercover officers aboard passenger jets.

Under new regulations, passengers who changed seats without cabin staff permission would face "fines from 500 to 10,000 yuan", the Beijing News said.

"At the same time, passengers who leave their seats or open luggage compartments during take-off, landing or turbulence would also be fined," the paper said.

The rules also allowed fines for ignoring cabin staff orders, smoking, stowing oversized and overweight hand luggage, "creating disturbances" and 13 other sorts of behavior, the paper said.

Separately, China's aviation authority is under fire after a computer failure caused a series of check-in service breakdowns in major airports this week, Xinhua news agency reported.

The failure on Tuesday afternoon delayed check-in services and postponed 33 flights in Beijing, and others in Shanghai and Guangzhou, the report said.

A similar failure had resulted in the breakdown of the departure control system in January, affecting airports in Beijing, Shanghai, Chengdu and other cities, Xinhua said.

China's commercial aviation industry is expanding faster than the country can build infrastructure and train pilots.

Strained airports and cramped flight space monopolized by the Chinese air force have caused increasing flight delays and cancellations and regular reports of furious passengers staging sit-in protests on planes and demanding compensation.

(Reuters)

"At the same time, passengers who leave their seats or open luggage compartments during take-off, landing or turbulence would also be fined,"

What about during taxi?

Passengers used to open the luggae compartments even before docking into the gate :pardon:

October 13, 2006

"At the same time, passengers who leave their seats or open luggage compartments during take-off, landing or turbulence would also be fined," the paper said.

Yeah, never see one of this event happen, but this fine thing is nonsense :help: Another making money propaganda........... <_>

October 13, 2006

China is cracking down on airline passengers who change seats, smoke and wander the cabin at inappropriate times, threatening them with fines of up to 10,000 yuan (USD$1,300), local media reported on Friday.

Bad news for TR makers :rofl: No more wonder around in China Airspace, solution~~fly non-Chinese airlines :pardon:

What about during taxi?

Passengers used to open the luggae compartments even before docking into the gate

I believe that also happened in our backyard. ie. our domestic flights. I have seen some uncivilised behaviour, some even kept their cellphone on!

It becomes apparently at AK flights too :D The rush to grab the "first class seats" :)

There's a saying - Chinese can only be ruled by the Chinese themselves. The British tried and they failed :lol:

The "fines/penalties" system seem to be the only thing they understand about. Although it can get heavier, it will not stop these problems.

What was described in the article is hardly the tip of the iceberg. These are what I experienced, all these didn't occured on some domestic Chinese airlines...but onboard CX regional HKG-TPE or HKG-SIN!!!

- opening my overhead compartment to take out my/neighbour's stuff and leaving it on the aisle/moving it to a few compartments behind my seat, so that they can put their stuff in my space.

- taking my stuff from my seat-pocket...those are in English such as Economist, BusinessWeek or Forbes. I wonder if they could find it interesting.

- I left my seat to go to the loo, and when I came back my belongings were moved to an aisle seat or another row.

If I am muscular like Arnold - I would have slapped the back of their heads each time they do these annoying things.

I believe that also happened in our backyard. ie. our domestic flights. I have seen some uncivilised behaviour, some even kept their cellphone on!

It becomes apparently at AK flights too :D The rush to grab the "first class seats" :)

There's a saying - Chinese can only be ruled by the Chinese themselves. The British tried and they failed :lol:

Heard before that China is going to 'ban' those 'uncivilised' China citizen from travelling to oversea :blink:

As a former cabin crew, I must say that the bad behavior that the other members have mentioned are most likely done by people who are flying for the first time. They may think that it's ok on a bus or train so why not on a plane. It is more due to ignorance rather than bad manners. They don't understand the announcement because most likely in a language they don't speak.

China has the hardware (world class infrastructures etc) but not the software (populations that are still pretty uncivilised).

China has the hardware (world class infrastructures etc) but not the software (populations that are still pretty uncivilised).

You have hit the head of the nail! It takes years and even generations to change bad habits. Check out the old generation of Malaysians, we are not much different :D

taking my stuff from my seat-pocket...those are in English such as Economist, BusinessWeek or Forbes. I wonder if they could find it interesting.

- I left my seat to go to the loo, and when I came back my belongings were moved to an aisle seat or another row.

If I am muscular like Arnold - I would have slapped the back of their heads each time they do these annoying things.

Still that's pretty outrageous. For sure I do not like sitting next to a mainlander, especially those loud and rude Northerners.

October 13, 2006

That is the most idiotic thing ever :angry: :angry: !!!!; Well for starters, why China Airlines, China Eastern Airlines, Xiamen Airways, etc. forbid passengers from wandering around the cabin :blink: <_>

Edited by Andrew Ong

That is the most idiotic thing ever :angry: :angry: !!!!; Well for starters, why China Airlines, China Eastern Airlines, Xiamen Airways, etc. forbid passengers from wandering around the cabin :blink: <_>

It's Air China (CA), not China Airlines (CI). China Airlines is a Taiwanese carrier, you may also call it Chinese carrier but it's not a Mainland China carrier, just to make everything clear :)

So wil there be like a traffic cop on board issuing summons?

hahaha wow.. but it is a problem.. even in India.. the plane's wheels smack terra firma, and Muttu, Singh and Vikram are all hopping out of their seats to get their bags and walk to the doors.. all before the thrust reversers have even been applied.. I saw one fella fly down the aisle once.. he learn't his lesson.. the crew couldn't even attend to him until after the plne had exited the runway.. to compund matters worse, his bag fell out of the overhead compartment (which he had opened) on top of him.. not sure where it hit him cos I was on the other side of the plane..

It's Air China (CA), not China Airlines (CI). China Airlines is a Taiwanese carrier, you may also call it Chinese carrier but it's not a Mainland China carrier, just to make everything clear

LOL, if you recognised the one china policy, China Airlines (CI) is indeed a Chinese airline. Only thing is that, since 1949, it will run the risk of being shot down upon entering mainland China without prior arrangement :D

LOL, if you recognised the one china policy, China Airlines (CI) is indeed a Chinese airline. Only thing is that, since 1949, it will run the risk of being shot down upon entering mainland China without prior arrangement :D

Has China Airline's plane have ever been shot down?

So wil there be like a traffic cop on board issuing summons?

hahaha wow.. but it is a problem.. even in India.. the plane's wheels smack terra firma, and Muttu, Singh and Vikram are all hopping out of their seats to get their bags and walk to the doors.. all before the thrust reversers have even been applied.. I saw one fella fly down the aisle once.. he learn't his lesson.. the crew couldn't even attend to him until after the plne had exited the runway.. to compund matters worse, his bag fell out of the overhead compartment (which he had opened) on top of him.. not sure where it hit him cos I was on the other side of the plane..

Lovely......

If I heard people standing up before the aircraft docked, I feel like giving a sharp jolt of braking....... Now everybody can fly. :drinks:

If I heard people standing up before the aircraft docked, I feel like giving a sharp jolt of braking....... Now everybody can fly. :drinks:

:good: :good:

:)