MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
H Azmal

Ipoh airport runway not long enough

Perak playing Tony's bluff. Good, good. Let's see how he wriggles out of this. :clapping:

The Star

Friday September 22, 2006

Ipoh to extend runway

IPOH: Perak is prepared to relocate residents to extend the Sultan Azlan Shah Airport runway here, said Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Mohamad Tajol Rosli Ghazali .

“We will build new houses for them (the residents) if we have to acquire their property,” he said.

“We have land in the vicinity. That is why we have not given out land in the area,” he said yesterday, adding that the state would not consider building a new airport to replace the present one.

Speaking at a news conference after handing over keys to house-owners of Permai Lake View in Tambun here yesterday, Tajol Rosli said AirAsia and other airlines must demonstrate their commitment that they planned to operate from the airport.

“Otherwise, the investment (of extending the runway and building the houses) would not be justified,” he said.

Tajol Rosli said the state needed to upgrade the runway so that if any airline wanted to fly from Ipoh to places further away like Madras and Guangzhou, they could do so.

“We need a full load of fuel to fly to these places,” he said, adding that an airline has expressed interest in providing Umrah flights from Ipoh to Saudi Arabia.

AirAsia chief executive officer Datuk Tony Fernandes recently announced that the airline was suspending its four-times-a-week Ipoh-Senai flights starting Tuesday.

One of the reasons given for this was that the runway was not long enough.

Tajol Rosli said he would meet Transport Minister Datuk Seri Chan Kong Choy to discuss the matter.

Ha ha... Great fun there!

But I've never been to IPH my whole life till now... Should start to consider a visit there... Wanna see the freaky terrain how freaky...

my frens said the airport looked like medan selera. hahahahah :yahoo:

(wut do we call medan selera in english?LOL)

my frens said the airport looked like medan selera. hahahahah :yahoo:

(wut do we call medan selera in english?LOL)

food court. :rofl:

Aiya, it CANT be worse than the Kuala Terengganu Airport...aiyo...it's really like Medan Selera, and when you check in right, your bag that you put on the conveyor belt directly goes out to the airfield area! Damn cheapo one LOLOL

..... and when you check in right, your bag that you put on the conveyor belt directly goes out to the airfield area! Damn cheapo one LOLOL

Sounds remarkably similar to what Labuan used to be like :)

I can't believe the government spend tonnes of money extending the runway and relocating the resident just to see 4 flight a week by AirAsia :blink:

Edited by Seth K

I can't believe the government spend tonnes of money extending the runway and relocating the resident just to see 4 flight a week by AirAsia :blink:

I think they are just trying to out-bluff each other. Let's see who blinks first. B)

Aiya, it CANT be worse than the Kuala Terengganu Airport...aiyo...it's really like Medan Selera, and when you check in right, your bag that you put on the conveyor belt directly goes out to the airfield area! Damn cheapo one LOLOL

The Kuala Terengganu Airport is under renovations anyway. I was there recently. The taxi driver told me the upgrading was to be done long ago, but when the state fell to the opposition party it put on hold. Now that "U Must Not Oppose" got back the state the project is in full swing.

The Kuala Terengganu Airport is under renovations anyway. I was there recently. The taxi driver told me the upgrading was to be done long ago, but when the state fell to the opposition party it put on hold. Now that "U Must Not Oppose" got back the state the project is in full swing.

Ha Ha! Good one Maarof, kind of brighten up my Monday morning :rofl:

IPH is within 2.5 hours drive from KUL, it can do without a airport. What IPH need is regular express bus service to KUL.

As local politicians don’t commute by bus and bus service doesn’t bring glory, bus service at KUL is the poorest among international airports.

May be AK should consider commence bus service to town like Ipoh, Melaka, Muar, Mentakab, Kuantan, etc.

There is a local bus company in Ipoh called 'Yoyo' which provide scheduled bus service between Ipoh and KLIA.

Those who fly between IPH-KUL in the past with MAS majority are international flights connecting passagers. Based on my experiences in the past flying this route the load are pretty full most of time, but of course the flying distance is the reason why airline cannot make money on this route due to the 'regulated domestic fares'.

Bring in the commuter 50 seater or 19 seaters...........

Yes ... agree to this

and

open up Sg Besi Airport as City Airport to cater for

the commuting businessmen... (they planned for this sometimes ago..

but :pardon: )

Instead of harping on MH and AK, maybe Perak State government should start their own airlines. "Silver Airlines" perhaps? Remember the "fly now, pay later" airlines they were talkng about sometimes ago?

By 2008 a high speed intercity rail service between Ipoh and KL Sentral should be a reality. By then that could pose a real threat to any airline flying into IPH.

Instead of JHB, maybe PERAK Government should also consider

IPH-BKI or IPH-KCH or IPH-SIN route..

If IPH-SIN ever materialises, SIN would be my preferred hub.

Sign in to follow this