MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
H Azmal

Ipoh airport runway not long enough

Ipoh airport runway not long enough for AirAsia planes

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?f...4206&sec=nation

POH: There were cheers when low-cost carrier AirAsia began its four weekly Ipoh-Senai flights at the under-utilised Sultan Azlan Shah Airport here on Feb 1.

But the cheers have now turned into dismay as the carrier had to suspend the sector from Monday.

The reason is that the runway at the airport cannot accommodate the newly acquired A320 Airbus.

AirAsia chief executive officer Datuk Tony Fernandez said the airline had no choice but to suspend its services.

“The airport’s runway is simply too short for our Airbus,” he said on Friday.

Fernandez said there had been discussions to extend the runway.

The state government officials had informed the airline that they were looking into the matter now.

POH: There were cheers when low-cost carrier AirAsia began its four weekly Ipoh-Senai flights at the under-utilised Sultan Azlan Shah Airport here on Feb 1.

But the cheers have now turned into dismay as the carrier had to suspend the sector from Monday.

The reason is that the runway at the airport cannot accommodate the newly acquired A320 Airbus.

AirAsia chief executive officer Datuk Tony Fernandez said the airline had no choice but to suspend its services.

The state government officials had informed the airline that they were looking into the matter now.

I think it's just an excuse given by AK. It'll still be a while before AK starts deploying their Airbuses on this route and till that time comes, they would still use the B733s. I think perhaps the true reason is due to poor loads.

But I noticed the 320 usually rotates earlier then the 737, well that's what I normally see in KCH anyway.

Not sure what is the runway length needed for the 320 to land though.

I wonder...... B734 has ben doing it for years, and B732 as well.

Fact, or fiction?

Boeing 737 is BETTER than Airbus A320 when it comes to short runway...period.

Now we know who is the best....learn..study and experience it.

If not long enoguh, they can use the 733 still instead of going to A320. What happen when the gov. lenghten the runway, then AK will say, the runway too long??? :pardon: Agree with Sing Yew, just a cover up reason to at least protect AK good name............................................. ;)

Say what? :o

Hey, Tony, lookee here:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Get ori pdf here: http://snipurl.com/whi9

Min. of Transport website

IPH's runway: 1798 X 37 (metres, or about 5850 ft). Biggest aircraft landed: B737.

See: http://www.mot.gov.my/BM/stat/udara/JADUAL%204-2-2.pdf

I think it's just an excuse given by AK. ....

I think perhaps the true reason is due to poor loads.

I agree with you 100%......it's not runway not long enough but pax not enough!

I agree with you 100%......it's not runway not long enough but pax not enough!

Absolutely agree with u.... this is such a PR bs.....

but seriously, with such good land transport network in place, how much Ipoh will really lose without an airport? economically, the impact of having an airport may not be significant i guess.

This is a good reason for MH, if they ever wants to replace the B734, to get the A320. So that the government can't force them to go to IPH again.

Anyway, does that means no airlines operates into IPH now?

Seriously eh, ???? Discussion extending the runway??? Sure, we belive ya :rolleyes:

Wow, gov. want to look into this??? Poor people, been cheated alive!!!(this one is pure Manglish) :D

Got one Capt., its from indonesia, forgot what airline, and guess what, its B732..

Iz that mean IPH is an international airport? :help:

Got one Capt., its from indonesia, forgot what airline, and guess what, its B732..

yerp..its Jatayu Airlines.. IPH-MED..a friend from told me its only RM300++ return..

IPB ImagePlease read this. Nation Saturday September 16, 2006

Perak CM says AirAsia should not suspend flights to Ipoh

IPOH: The reason given by AirAsia to suspend its four weekly Ipoh-Senai flights is unacceptable, Perak Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Mohamad Tajol Rosli Ghazali said.

Responding to a news report that AirAsia will be suspending the sector because the runway at the under-utilised airport could not accommodate the newly acquired A320 Airbus, Tajol Rosli said:

"The reason that the runway is not extended is unacceptable. If they can begin the flights last time, why do they want to stop them now?" he asked.

"If the airline had cited reasons like the flights were not economical or the low-cost carrier was losing money for the sector, it is a different story."

A visibly upset Tajol Rosli said the state government had not even been informed of the airline's decision to suspend the flights.

"We are disappointed that the Transport Ministry too had not informed the state government on the matter," he said on Saturday after a gathering with special children and old folk in conjunction with the National Day celebration here.

"If flights from here to Senai are stopped, they might as well close down the airport or surrender the airport to the state to manage it," he said.

"This means the airport will only be used by Indonesian airlines. We have an airport not used by our local airline but by foreign airlines. That is hebat (great)," he added cynically.

AirAsia chief executive officer Datuk Tony Fernandez was quoted as saying that flights from here to Senai would be suspended from Monday because the runway at the airport here could not accommodate the airline's airbus.

Tajol Rosli said the present runway had the capacity to accommodate flights from here to Senai but had to be extended if the airline wanted to fly from here to other parts of the region like Chennai, Bangkok and Indonesia.

If there was commitment from AirAsia and the Federal Government, he said the state was willing to extend the runway.

"But there is no point in spending RM28mil for it if the extended runway is not used." "If there is use for it, we will stop all other projects to extend the runway because the runway means development and jobs for Perak," he added.

I bet Yati wont fly on that route la Tango Alpha.. :lol:

Correct me if i'm wrong... stop this service (if we leave the reason given aside) is purely a commercial decision. So do they need to inform the ministry, the state etc etc? or "seek" approval from relevant authorities?

and i think he maybe right by saying whether Ipoh needs an airport after all. Can somebody tell us how Ipoh stands to loose without an airport? (Perhaps can covert it to a racing track with a huge shopping?) Airlines, like other business, should not be run according to the likes of certain officials, just look at how MAS performed in the last decade when it was operated more like a political entity than a business unit.

Time to wake up to face the reality..... like it or not, AA real competitors may not be MAS, but Tiger, Jetstar, Cebu Pacific, Nok Air etc........ the govt can deliver service to the people in many ways other than persuading a business to adopt certain unsound business decision.

cheers

Airlines, like other business, should not be run according to the likes of certain officials, just look at how MAS performed in the last decade when it was operated more like a political entity than a business unit.

......... persuading a business to adopt certain unsound business decision.

cheers

I agree that politicians should not dictate business. However the problem most people at this forum have is with the excuse used by AK, that is runway length. Don't lie lah..... if not enough load just say so!

An airport like IPH needs an airline with aircraft with 50 seat capacity to provide frequency for business travellers to fly in and out on the same day and not a longer runway. one flight a day with a B737 or A320 will not attract business travellers and there are not enough leisure travellers from a small market like IPH to sustain ops of aircraft with 140+ seats

Edited by Alan B.

Yup, agree with you...

But people like me and many others, need and eager to fly on that route..

Why ?? if on express bus, JHB - IPH will took about 7 hours of 'flight'..wasting your time on the road one whole day..

If we can fly, it tooks only an hour to reach IPH and back..

See that..??

For me, AK's plan on stopping that route is unacceptable...

Yup, agree with you...

But people like me and many others, need and eager to fly on that route..

Why ?? if on express bus, JHB - IPH will took about 7 hours of 'flight'..wasting your time on the road one whole day..

If we can fly, it tooks only an hour to reach IPH and back..

See that..??

For me, AK's plan on stopping that route is unacceptable...

It is unacceptable that AK fly JHB-IPH for only save time alternative transport but not base on load, then MH axed EWR also unacceptable as it waste more time for people to get to KUL/EWR vv.......... :)

Edited by Seth K

Sign in to follow this