MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Pieter C.

Austrian Airlines to terminate Australia flights

VIENNA - Austrian Airlines considers to reduce or even suspend their flights to Australia, according ATW. The routing to Australia is extremely expensive because of the high fuel costs. Per flight, the company spends around 400,000 Euros just for operational costs. Also, there is a lot of competition of Middle-East airlines.

Austrian Airlines is the only European Continental airline with scheduled flights to Australia. The airline operates 9x per week from Vienna with Boeing 777 equipment (6x per week to Sydney and 3x per week to Melbourne).

I suppose this one is big time coming, they are the only (miraculously) continental carrier still flying to Australia when all others have pulled out over the years. I suppose it's not very far-fetched to see BA one day leaving Australia altogether; it wasn't that many years ago that they served multiple OZ/NZ cities, followed by the rather surprising withdrawal of MEL only last year. Judging by BA's close cooperation with Oneworld partner QF's via SIN, I guess even BA's days are numbered.

With OS leaving Australia, I can't see why KUL should be kept; the route can easily be covered by LH & TG. SIN may be a Star Alliance hub but don't count on it being safe either; SIN was introduced a few years after KUL and now remains at a mere 3x weekly.

Keith,

Nothing definite yet, they're considering....

Anyhow, guys, take pictures of those Tripples (at SYD/MEL/KUL and SIN) before they're gone ;)

Keith,

The possibility is still distinctly alarming...

Anyhow, guys, take pictures of those Tripples (at SYD/MEL/KUL and SIN) before they're gone ;)

But they come here at night.... :(

But they come here at night.... :(

no tripod, captain ? :pardon:

My sis flew on Austrian Airlines to Vienna last June. Flight from KL just a little past midnight, return from Vienna arrived at KUL at 0350!

Is Austrian looking for a scapegoat now ? :blink:

July 25, 2006

Austrian Airlines (AUA) has asked the country's competition watchdog to investigate Austrian oil and gas group OMV's pricing of kerosene, it said in a statement on Tuesday.

The loss-making, state-owned airline said it suspected OMV -- state-controlled as well -- of abusing its dominant position in producing and delivering kerosene to overcharge AUA by a total of EUR35 million (USD$44 million) a year.

AUA, which consumes 70 percent of the kerosene sold in Austria, said it had made three futile attempts to resolve the conflict "at the highest levels" and that it had no choice but to revert to the competition watchdog.

Italy's anti-trust agency last month fined six companies, including Italy's ENI, EUR315 million over unfair competitive practices in the jet fuel market.

(Reuters)

Bye-bye to tripple seven to KUL :sorry:

As I've not seen any NG/OS long-haul fleet, look at my signature ;) :

AMS-TXL-VIE-TXL-AMS 16oct06 AB8023/AB8268/AB8763/AB8148

Thanks for the good search Keith.

Bye-bye to tripple seven to KUL :sorry:

As I've not seen any NG/OS long-haul fleet, look at my signature ;) :

AMS-TXL-VIE-TXL-AMS 16oct06 AB8023/AB8268/AB8763/AB8148

Thanks for the good search Keith.

Didn't even try. Just saw it on flyertalk. :p

More discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=582819

Seems like KUL and SIN will be pulled as well. Another rumour entails KUL being pulled to increase services to SIN and commencing codeshares on SQ services to Australia.

It is indeed going to be sad news for KUL if they really leave Malaysia.

Well, we can conveniently believe the reason behind this is the rising oil prices

but I think there are more reasons to stopping the SYD/MEL routes which

directly involve KUL and SIN as a destination for OS. :huh:

I am not too bothered with the SIN withdrawal but KUL should be a good

reason to fly in especially now that MH is the only option to SYD and many

other EU & US destinations. :help:

Lets hope OS remains in KUL at least.....how are we going to visit the DANUBE RIVER

if OS stops flying ?? :nea:

I am not too bothered with the SIN withdrawal but KUL should be a good

reason to fly in especially now that MH is the only option to SYD and many

other EU & US destinations. :help:

Personally, I think, SIN is a good reason to fly in, better connection, more airlines operated, and it's a Star Alliance hub-exactly fit Austrian operation in SEA. SIN has more option to SYD/Australia than KUL :)

Personally, I think, SIN is a good reason to fly in, better connection, more airlines operated, and it's a Star Alliance hub-exactly fit Austrian operation in SEA. SIN has more option to SYD/Australia than KUL :)

ATW reported as follows today, 26jul06:

AAG confirmed its intention to end its nine-times-weekly services to Australia by March (ATWOnline, July 21). The move could include en route destinations Singapore and Kuala Lumpur as well. High fuel prices made the Australia routes uneconomical and the airline does not think the current 80% load factor can be improved. It also may close one of its three North American destinations (New York JFK, Washington Dulles and Toronto). It said it will focus on serving fewer destinations with more frequencies and that every route in the network will be investigated. It also will evaluate whether or not to maintain its relationship with its Lauda Air subsidiary.

Seems they're in worse shape than previously thought of, even closing a N-Atlantic destination :o

Keith,

Captured in March 2006.

IPB Image

Excellent capture, Tony, with that background: how many mm ?

Thanks, Pieter. Focal length is 67mm.

Baaahhhhh, Tony, is SYD downtown THAT close ??? :huh: :o :pardon:

Agreed.

Baaahhhhh, Tony, is SYD downtown THAT close ??? :huh: :o :pardon:

Ahh...I think I forgot to mention something, Pieter. That shot was taken at eskyBar, SYD's viewing deck.

And downtown is in fact close to the airport, 16km from airport. After taking off Rwy34L, gears up, clean the flaps/slats etc, and CBD is just to your right! Comes free with Sydney Harbour Bridge view too! B) Guess I'll miss this place when I'm done with my degree here in down under. :(