MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
S V Choong

New winglets for Airbus A320

Well, Boeing design is the best out there :good: Even the bus wants them :good: Guess, bus firgured out their winglet sux :lol: Anyway, is this going to effect the A380 winglet too?

Very turned off with the new design...it's very "let's-copy-Boeing" (then again they seem to keep doing it recent years.) Start disappointed with the designs after A346... If can, I hope they add back the small winglet below with this new design.

All the way A330 and I now start to appreciate more B777 than last time. :yahoo:

Edited by Adrian M

All the way A330 and I now start to appreciate more B777 than last time.

I read from Flight International that Boeing and the winglet manufacturer is now looking at producing winglets for 767s and even 777s!

wow, jetblue got the first. looks more like ERJ-195 at first sight

Just to clear some confusion on the matter. Jetblue have simply leased this undelivered airframe as a testbed to Airbus, whilst they compare two different designs on winglets. There are no plans at present for Jetblue to start equipping their A320's, or anyone else's A320's until the studies are complete.

Honestly, it looks very cheap. Compare that with the blended winglet winglet design from Aviation Partners which presently looks at home on every a/c type fitted with them. Rumours around that Air Canada will be leasing a 767 to Boeing very very shortly to allow the commencement of flight testing of winglets.

Oh and copy of Boeing? Not entirely true. With the cost of oil prices now-a-days it simple to see why manufacturers have walked on common ground, I mean look at Raytheon who's now fitting winglet as standard on Hawker 800XP's (re-branded 850XP as a result), and is offering a retrofit to older builds!

Edited by Liam Gibb

Not exact copy of Boeing guys, if you check the 737's winglet, the 737 winglet has a smooth curve sweeping upward, while the A320's one has an angle to it.

Not exact copy of Boeing guys, if you check the 737's winglet, the 737 winglet has a smooth curve sweeping upward, while the A320's one has an angle to it.

agree, boeing 737 winglet looks more futuristic, very smooth curve.

Airbus does have a second design of the winglet which looks a lot more like the Boeing 737's one. Expect to see it in the next couple of months.

Edited by TW Teo

Teo, any preview for us? Nothing wrong with this angled design. Is the second set of winglets manufactured by Aviation partners?

Flight tests for the second set should start in July and they're from Airbus's own design with another from Winglet Technology LLC if I'm not mistaken. I don't think Aviation Partners are involved. :unknw:

agree, boeing 737 winglet looks more futuristic, very smooth curve.

agree too.... :lol: i like boeing design very much.... :yahoo:

yeah, 737's winglet look much more nicer... let's see what's airbus next design then..

yeah, 737's winglet look much more nicer... let's see what's airbus next design then..

maybe downwards instead of upwards? :p :lol: :pardon: who know???

agree with Tze Shan - delta winglets look better (unique feature).

anyway, found an artcile on FlightGlobal.com. A320 Enhanced, apparently.

click to read

Love the mood-lighting feature on the 'new' A320...

Airbus are also about to start building A320's with larger overhead bins and the option of a "turn off your mobile phone light"

Tony et al,

FWIW, A330 "Enhanced" and A340 "Enhanced" are those flying with FBW rudder control and LCD flightdeck as well as updated FMGEC. In short, A345/346 improvements incorporated to the older model. QF was launch customer, with VH-EBA being the first A330E

Sign in to follow this