MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
H Azmal

Rude and inconsiderate

We always hear/read cases of flight/ground crew being rude and unpleasant to passengers. However, I'm sure the reverse case far outnumbers these, just that I think when you're in such service you're trained to absorb abuse - there's no avenue for them to complain (correct me if I'm wrong).

Have you ever witnessed incidents where passengers are rude to other fellow passengers or flight crew, or even an air rage? The following letter to Utusan Malaysia is what prompted me to start this topic:

Utusan Malaysia

Malu orang kita tidak beradab

PADA 27 Mei 2002, saya dan keluarga telah pulang ke tanah air dari Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam dengan menaiki pesawat Penerbangan Malaysia MH0758.

Perkhidmatan yang diberikan sepanjang perjalanan amat memuaskan. Senyuman sentiasa diberikan kepada penumpang.

Bagaimanapun satu kejadian mencemarkan penerbangan yang manis itu.

Ketika ketua pramugari mengumumkan bahawa hidangan akan dihidangkan, saya lihat seorang wanita asing merungut kepada pasangan di sebelahnya mengenai sesuatu.

Rupa-rupanya penumpang di hadapannya telah membaringkan kerusi hingga sukar baginya untuk bergerak.

Walaupun diminta menegakkan kembali kerusi, penumpang di hadapannya tetap tidak bergerak.

Wanita asing tersebut mengadu kepada seorang pramugara yang kebetulan sedang menghidangkan makanan kepada penumpang-penumpang.

Sopan-santun

Dengan penuh sopan-santun, pramugara tersebut mengejutkan penumpang di hadapan wanita terbabit dan memintanya menegakkan kembali kerusinya agar penumpang di belakang dapat menikmati hidangan dengan lebih selesa.

Apa yang memeranjatkan para penumpang lain, pramugara terbabit telah diherdik dan dimarahi oleh penumpang itu.

Apa yang lebih memalukan kami sekeluarga ialah penumpang yang bersikap tidak beradab itu ialah warganegara Malaysia.

Kata-kata kesatnya ialah ‘‘Can’t you see that I am trying to sleepd10t! Go to hell with you... stupid crew! (tak nampak ke saya hendak tidur bahlul! Pergi jahanam... bodoh!).”

Saya selaku rakyat Malaysia berasa sungguh malu dan kecewa dengan sikap penumpang itu. Tambahan pula, lebih separuh daripada penumpang adalah warga asing.

Sebaliknya, sikap profesional pramugara tersebut, amat saya kagumi kerana beliau tetap meneruskan kerjanya dengan senyuman walaupun saya tahu beliau pasti amat kecewa dan malu dengan kejadian tersebut.

Dan menambah aib, penumpang yang angkuh itu telah memanggil Ketua Pramugari dan melaporkan kononnya pramugara tersebut telah bersikap kurang ajar terhadapnya.

Saya percaya ketika laporan ini disiarkan, pramugara tersebut barangkali telah dipanggil untuk penyiasatan tatatertib di atas dakwaan kesalahan yang tidak dilakukannya.

Saya memanjangkan cerita ini dengan harapan agar rakyat Malaysia tidak melakukan sebarang perbuatan atau bersikap yang menjatuhkan imej negara dan kita semua, terutama di hadapan orang asing.

- PENUMPANG SETIA MAS,

Damansara Utama,

Kuala Lumpur.

Edited by H Azmal

This sort of people, I wish I can open the door and throw them out.

Wonder who the reald10t is.....

Capt,

hahahahaha... really nice one... :lol:

-cheers-

One day, I flew to Cochin with my girlfriend for a youth conference. We were seated in business class, and thus we expected the other passengers to possess suave, professional mannerisms.

However, by the end of the flight, 1 F/A was punched unconcious, another obviously traumatized after being insulted to the point of apparent suicide, and the first officer broke a finger.

Why? :huh:

4 arab "teens" went on a rampage after their requests for extra vodka were turned down because they had already surpassed their personal limits (drunk out of their minds).

Some passengers spoil the experience for many others. It is unfortunate, but these people exist worldwide. :mellow:

We always hear/read cases of flight/ground crew being rude and unpleasant to passengers. However, I'm sure the reverse case far outnumbers these, just that I think when you're in such service you're trained to absorb abuse - there's no avenue for them to complain (correct me if I'm wrong).

Have you ever witnessed incidents where passengers are rude to other fellow passengers or flight crew, or even an air rage? The following letter to Utusan Malaysia is what prompted me to start this topic:

Thanks for sharing the news,Azmal.I'm so shamed to see some of our people is so rude and inconsiderate...Looks like it's time to teach our people about manners...

I agree with you,Capt.Radzi.Just throw that person out of the plane...Buat malu negara kita saja...(just make our country embarassed only)

Edited by Tamizi TS

Priorities first - make sure you have the bird back on terra firma BEFORE you initiate above-referred course of action !

I suppose if you're the captain in command of the flight, can really ajar dia orang betul betul (Pieter : 'teach them a real good lesson') Declare an uncontrollable air rage incident on board, divert to nearest airport and then let the rule of law show the said passenger real meaning of idiocy !! :p

One day, I flew to Cochin with my girlfriend for a youth conference. We were seated in business class, and thus we expected the other passengers to possess suave, professional mannerisms.

However, by the end of the flight, 1 F/A was punched unconcious, another obviously traumatized after being insulted to the point of apparent suicide, and the first officer broke a finger.

4 arab "teens" went on a rampage after their requests for extra vodka were turned down because they had already surpassed their personal limits (drunk out of their minds).

Some passengers spoil the experience for many others. It is unfortunate, but these people exist worldwide. :mellow:

Maybe airliners should have straightjackets in addition to lifejackets.

Priorities first - make sure you have the bird back on terra firma BEFORE you initiate above-referred course of action !

I suppose if you're the captain in command of the flight, can really ajar dia orang betul betul (Pieter : 'teach them a real good lesson') Declare an uncontrollable air rage incident on board, divert to nearest airport and then let the rule of law show the said passenger real meaning of idiocy !! :p

You're right,Bing Chu...if i'm watched that situation,sure i will hantam(beat) that passenger with my shoes!

agree captain! dont supply them parachute as well.

You're right,Bing Chu...if i'm watched that situation,sure i will hantam(beat) that passenger with my shoes!

For the record, I DID NOT prescribe the "hantam with shoes" remedy, under any circumstances :D

Sounds nasty. I thought arab people are Muslims, and I thought alcohol is forbidden under Islam law.. Hmm..looks like I'm wrong here :blink:

Sounds nasty. I thought arab people are Muslims, and I thought alcohol is forbidden under Islam law.. Hmm..looks like I'm wrong here :blink:

First of all, Not all Arab's are Muslims. "Arabs", is the terms used to describe people who originate from countries who are members of the Gulf Co-operation Council (GCC). Aside from Islam, Christianity and Judaism are practiced in these countries and thus have their own following of Arabs.

Secondly, Alcohol IS completely and utterly forbidden in Islam. Even it's use as a disinfectant is severely frowned upon by most Islamic scholars, though not forbidden per say. Believe it or not, many Arabs (especially those who belong to my generation) do not adhere to the rules of Islam comletely and thus you find Arabs consuming alcohol, making use of prostitutes, and participating in the collection of interest (Riba').

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. :good:

Edited by Imran K.

First of all, Not all Arab's are Muslims. "Arabs", is the terms used to describe people who originate from countries who are members of the Gulf Co-operation Council (GCC). Aside from Islam, Christianity and Judaism are practiced in these countries and thus have their own following of Arabs.

Secondly, Alcohol IS completely and utterly forbidden in Islam. Even it's use as a disinfectant is severely frowned upon by most Islamic scholars, though not forbidden per say. Believe it or not, many Arabs (especially those who belong to my generation) do not adhere to the rules of Islam comletely and thus you find Arabs consuming alcohol, making use of prostitutes, and participating in the collection of interest (Riba').

I'm agree with you on this statement,Imran.

GOing slightly offtopic here ;) :

In fact, 20% of Arab Palestinians are Christians - and they have been living side by side with their Muslim Arab neighbours for centuries. In total, Arabs make up about only 18% of the world's Muslim population (The country with the biggest Muslim population in the world is our neighbour Indonesia). There is currently about 15m Arabs professing the Christian faith worldwide. FYI. :) ;)

Edited by H Azmal

Captain, you are in control of the flight... :D

Aside from Islam, Christianity and Judaism are practiced in these countries and thus have their own following of Arabs.

Unlike Islam and Christianity, Judaism is kinda a ethnic belief, just as there is this traditional Chinese belief (the Tokong China stuff). There are non-Jew who embraces Judaism but I have not come across non-Chinese who embraces the ethnic Chinese belief, neither with the Hindu belief (or perhaps I'm just ignorant). Has any of you come across one who does that? Just curious...

Most Balinese are Hindus.

Oh... Ok... That is understandable; the case is more like Judaism in Biblical time till now. But, as for the Chinese religion, so to speak, it's kinda strange. Never come across an example.

Maybe airliners should have straightjackets in addition to lifejackets.

Captains of KLM flights do possess plastic handcuffs in the cockpit, in case of circumstances like above...

Captains of KLM flights do possess plastic handcuffs in the cockpit, in case of circumstances like above...

Yup, most commercial airliners have restrainer kits onboard (in the cockpit) and used at discretion of the Captain. Anyone to confirm that?

Dear Capt

Sadly with all that air resistance flying at Mach 0.78 and the aircraft pressurize that would be virtually impossible. Am I correct to say that?

Thanks

A

Dear Capt

Sadly with all that air resistance flying at Mach 0.78 and the aircraft pressurize that would be virtually impossible. Am I correct to say that?

Thanks

A

Hence the word 'wish' ... :D ;)