MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
KK Lee

Klia express

Klia express pax volume was impacted by grab before COVID-19.

Since COVID-19, all airlines have closed their check-in counter at kl sentral.

Current reduced frequency during early morning and evening doesn't help to attract pax.

Without gomen support, klia express is commercially not sustainable.

They are under heavy price pressure too - Grab and even metered taxis have not increased their fares. So KLIA Express had to retain their fares too - if they increased it, there will be even fewer pax. Their USP is speed - so if they cut frequencies, their attractiveness is no longer there.

On 6/9/2023 at 4:50 PM, flee said:

They are under heavy price pressure too - Grab and even metered taxis have not increased their fares. So KLIA Express had to retain their fares too - if they increased it, there will be even fewer pax. Their USP is speed - so if they cut frequencies, their attractiveness is no longer there.

It maybe quick but it's often a pain to get to the city centre to pick up teh train. Many times Ive just missed it due to traffic and wished that I had just taken a grab straight from home. They should extend it on from KL Sentral be it west, east or north to generate more traffic. Integrating with the planned ECRL Gombak terminus would be nice... plus its close to home haha

klia express and kl mrt are both on standard gauge. it may be financial feasible to extend mrt to klia or mrt corp to take over klia express.

49 minutes ago, KK Lee said:

klia express and kl mrt are both on standard gauge. it may be financial feasible to extend mrt to klia or mrt corp to take over klia express.

U can take MRT to Putrajaya and change over to klia transit. Save some money too.

On 6/12/2023 at 10:22 PM, KK Lee said:

Or the flipside, extend ERL to Seremban and more.

On 6/9/2023 at 4:50 PM, flee said:

Grab has increased their prices. Something like RM75 plus tolls. KLIA express is convenient if you are a tourist or if you live somewhat close to a public transit station. It's much faster than Grab and who knows how long you'd be stuck on Mex/Elite during rush hours.

On 6/12/2023 at 4:41 PM, Robert said:

It maybe quick but it's often a pain to get to the city centre to pick up teh train. Many times Ive just missed it due to traffic and wished that I had just taken a grab straight from home. They should extend it on from KL Sentral be it west, east or north to generate more traffic. Integrating with the planned ECRL Gombak terminus would be nice... plus its close to home haha

I have missed the train a few times back when they were running it at 30 minute frequency. The Express service need to run every 15 minutes like last time. 30 minutes frequency is not feasible especially if you want to catch the 9AM bank out of KUL as the 20 minute frequency only runs between 10-20h. E.g. I need to take the 07:00 train to reach there by 07:30 for a 09:00 flight. If I missed that train, then it's taxi for me as I'll be there when bag drop/check-in closes. Getting a grab from my home to KL Sentral at 06:30 can be a challenge and getting a grab back from KL Sentral back to my place between 17-1930h is also another huge challenge.

Extend it to Gombak/KLCC/PJ would require major work and land acquisition. Would be nice to have something similar to the RER/S-Bahn but Malaysia government only knows how to build roads when studies have shown that the more roads you build, the more congested roads will become. Alternative is to have a rail line instead of PJD (link) highway connecting Subang Airport/Damansara Jaya area all the way down to TBS

On 6/21/2023 at 12:44 PM, jani said:

Or the flipside, extend ERL to Seremban and more.

Yes please - although I don't know how they actually extend the line south when there's a runway just at the edge of the train line at KUL T2. It'd have to take quite a big detour to Seremban. An alternative would be to Port Dickson and then onwards to Malacca city center but I don't think the demand justify this.

Edited by Craig

22 hours ago, Craig said:

Grab has increased their prices. Something like RM75 plus tolls. KLIA express is convenient if you are a tourist or if you live somewhat close to a public transit station. It's much faster than Grab and who knows how long you'd be stuck on Mex/Elite during rush hours.

I have missed the train a few times back when they were running it at 30 minute frequency. The Express service need to run every 15 minutes like last time. 30 minutes frequency is not feasible especially if you want to catch the 9AM bank out of KUL as the 20 minute frequency only runs between 10-20h. E.g. I need to take the 07:00 train to reach there by 07:30 for a 09:00 flight. If I missed that train, then it's taxi for me as I'll be there when bag drop/check-in closes. Getting a grab from my home to KL Sentral at 06:30 can be a challenge and getting a grab back from KL Sentral back to my place between 17-1930h is also another huge challenge.

Extend it to Gombak/KLCC/PJ would require major work and land acquisition. Would be nice to have something similar to the RER/S-Bahn but Malaysia government only knows how to build roads when studies have shown that the more roads you build, the more congested roads will become. Alternative is to have a rail line instead of PJD (link) highway connecting Subang Airport/Damansara Jaya area all the way down to TBS

Yes please - although I don't know how they actually extend the line south when there's a runway just at the edge of the train line at KUL T2. It'd have to take quite a big detour to Seremban. An alternative would be to Port Dickson and then onwards to Malacca city center but I don't think the demand justify this.

actually I quite liked the peak service operating last near. Every 10 mins and stopping at all stations with the journey time extending  to 38-40 mins.

34 minutes ago, Robert said:

actually I quite liked the peak service operating last near. Every 10 mins and stopping at all stations with the journey time extending  to 38-40 mins.

Well if you happen to get to the express platform and the train closes the door on you and the next train is in 30 minutes, there's not really a way for you to get over to the transit platform with another train leaving in 3 minutes. So the previous setup was better when everything was departing from the transit platform. Express trains running at 30 minutes intervals between 06:30 and 10:00 is a nightmare especially when there are so many flights leaving KUL between 08:00 and 10:00. Their "peak hour" sounds like delayed office hours instead of peak flight arrival/departure hours.

34 minutes ago, Craig said:

Well if you happen to get to the express platform and the train closes the door on you and the next train is in 30 minutes, there's not really a way for you to get over to the transit platform with another train leaving in 3 minutes. So the previous setup was better when everything was departing from the transit platform. Express trains running at 30 minutes intervals between 06:30 and 10:00 is a nightmare especially when there are so many flights leaving KUL between 08:00 and 10:00. Their "peak hour" sounds like delayed office hours instead of peak flight arrival/departure hours.

It could be a tactic by klia express to entice gomen to pay them more subsidy to operate higher frequency.

KLIA Express back to a 20 min frequency from Aug 1

https://www.edgeprop.my/content/1906722/klia-ekspres-train-frequency-raised-every-20-minutes-starting-aug-1

KUALA LUMPUR (July 26): Come Aug 1, KLIA Ekspres trains that connect KL Sentral to KLIA Terminal 1 and 2 will run every 20 minutes every day, including national holidays, said its operator Express Rail Link Sdn Bhd (ERL).

In a statement on Tuesday (July 26), ERL said the first train from KL Sentral will be at 5am, while the first train departure from KLIA Terminal 2 will be at 4.55am. Meanwhile, the last train will depart from both terminals at 12am.

"For KLIA Transit, the train schedule remains the same except for the removal of one trip from Putrajaya & Cyberjaya Station toKL Sentral at 07.59am on week days. Service frequency during weekday peak hours is maintained at every 15 minutes," said the operator.

The express load is better than transit? Y only improve the frequency for express?

Or the current rail system with mix express and transit can only improve on express schedule?

It will be better to have 15 min for transit schedule too since the weekday peak hour can archive that frequency.

On 7/27/2023 at 3:43 PM, prosibu1 said:

The express load is better than transit? Y only improve the frequency for express?

Or the current rail system with mix express and transit can only improve on express schedule?

It will be better to have 15 min for transit schedule too since the weekday peak hour can archive that frequency.

I think the notion that the Ekspress and Transit are TWO separate services needing pax to use different platforms at Sentral is somewhat laughable. In many countries (e.g. Japan), trains to the same destination (but stopping at different stations) all run from the same platform. So it is up to you to choose which train you wish to board. That way, the frequency of service is higher.

16 minutes ago, flee said:

I think the notion that the Ekspress and Transit are TWO separate services needing pax to use different platforms at Sentral is somewhat laughable. In many countries (e.g. Japan), trains to the same destination (but stopping at different stations) all run from the same platform. So it is up to you to choose which train you wish to board. That way, the frequency of service is higher.

Those countries have far more extensive rail networks that necessitate the shared use of platforms. Chances are, the stations weren't purpose-built for a dedicated airport service. I'm confused how fewer platforms = higher frequency.

Not sure what makes the current KLIA Ekspres/Transit split so laughable. At Sentral you can see the next departures on a screen to make a decision, so it's not like you're going in blind. Once you get to the platform you know exactly what service you're boarding. Combine the services, and I can bet you a lot of armchair transport experts will be roasting the government for having a confusing setup.

9 hours ago, KK Lee said:

If we're throwing darts at train services around the world, the LHR, HKG, NRT, FRA, VIE express trains are more expensive, to name a few.

One of my colleagues never knew that KLIA Transit service even exists. He always thought that ERL plies KL Sentral to KLIA non-stop. It was then when we boarded the ERL at Putrajaya station then he realized that reaching KLIA can also be done with the same train (albeit with stops).

4 hours ago, Alif A. F. said:

One of my colleagues never knew that KLIA Transit service even exists. He always thought that ERL plies KL Sentral to KLIA non-stop. It was then when we boarded the ERL at Putrajaya station then he realized that reaching KLIA can also be done with the same train (albeit with stops).

During CV19 it was all one service but they are 2 separate services using different rolling stock (most of the time).

2 hours ago, Robert said:

During CV19 it was all one service but they are 2 separate services using different rolling stock (most of the time).

I see. But, my colleague said this in way back in 2017😄.

Pakatan launch their Selangor elections manifesto recently and one of them includes linking Tanjung Sepat and Sungai Pelek with KLIA (I assume the KLIA express extension?). I have absolutely no clue where those places are and I had to look it up.

20 hours ago, Alif A. F. said:

I see. But, my colleague said this in way back in 2017😄.

also possible during weekend engineering works or when they run a combined service owing to an incident,

On 8/1/2023 at 10:34 AM, Craig said:

Pakatan launch their Selangor elections manifesto recently and one of them includes linking Tanjung Sepat and Sungai Pelek with KLIA (I assume the KLIA express extension?). I have absolutely no clue where those places are and I had to look it up.

Tg.Sepat & Sg.Pelek is probably going to be more of a "community service" extension as a lot of KLIA staff live around Sepang oldtown area. 

On 8/25/2023 at 4:45 PM, Robert said:

KL Sentral Check-in returns effective 1 Sept 2023 for MH customers.

Any idea how oversized baggage is handled at KL Sentral ? Would it be accepted for check-in or only accepted at KLIA

Sign in to follow this