MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Denny Yen

AirAsia pics

These were circulated on the Net for some time. Should the air brakes by down position instead of up? Leaving it up position could pose obstacles to passengers who slide down the wings.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Retraction of the speedbrakes is not an item on the 737 evacuation checklist.

Evacuating pax who leave through the overwing exits will proceed to the trailing edge of the wing and not over the main wing itself.

Evacuating pax who leave through the overwing exits will proceed to the trailing edge of the wing and not over the main wing itself.

ya..agree. I think that's not an obstacle ;)

Says who? can you please get the source of this as my checklist is a bit different there.

Says who? can you please get the source of this as my checklist is a bit different there.

Pontius,

Don't mess around - this guy knows what he is talking about !!

:D :D :D

Hmm...

If they were sold on the streets...I wouldn't mind picking it up Pontius..

Get real...

C'mon guys. Keep the heat down in MW. :)

Pontius, mind telling us a bit more especially about the AK checklist? Perhaps you work with AK? ;)

And you think I don't?

Check it out on the AK checklist.

My apologies if I sent the wrong message out - never meant to doubt anyone's words there !

I agree with Pontius, the passenger will exit via the trailing edge, so the retraction of the speedbrake will not be an obstacle. If memory serves me right, the 737s, be it classic or NG, do not seemed to have speed brakes over the trailing edge. Check out this MAS B737-200 safety card posted by Rozhan a while ago, which demostrated how passengers will leave. Thanks Rozhan ;)

IPB Image

Edited by S V Choong

well... i think this is just the difference between each airlines. maybe MAS do not allow it and AA allow it?

Ummm get a reality check I surpose.. hehe.. that naughty boy speed brakes were up during the incident right.. anyone got stuck to it? No.. rite.. so guess its not an obstacle. The main cause in that incident IIRC is due to faulty reversers which the pilot lupa and continue using it during landing.. so apa macam bother about speedbrakes hehe.. Just my half cents.. :lol: :lol:

Boeing checklist is there...So as Boeing Customer checklists.. :)

But an Airline can change it after approval with boeing.

so AK and MH may have a different evacuation checklist.

what ever it is, checklist has to be done accordingly.

if it is done...no one can touch you.

as for MH 737 ...speedbrake has to be stowed. base on MH QRH that i have and also Boeing QRH.

maybe Pontius can highlight something from AirAsia evacuation checklist.

for info...From Preflight to shutdown and evacuation checklists, Boeing customer can customize their checklist, so any updates manuals or QRH (Quick Refference Handbook) are updated accordingly to Boeing Customer.

as for flight sims Pilots...the 777 checklist that you have in the Electronis Checklist are different from the one in MH 777...so as SQ 777.

have a pleasant flight. :)

A question for real life pilots (flight simmers don't count !) :

Are you chaps expected to be able to recall those checklists from memory ? And is it a long list of procedure ?

Scenario may be the bird has crash landed, you have a panicky load of pax clamouring to exit, smoke starting to cloud visibility, scent of Jet-A1 starts to fill the air and remember, pilots have basic human survival instincts too. How on earth do you flip through a procedural manual under such circumstances ?! I suppose this is where the 'professionalism' factor comes into play doesn't it ?

Not all items are required to be done by memory in the checklists. Only the important and urgent ones which is critical for safety of flight. Some example will be

Engine Fire and Failures

Emergency Decompression

Like TK said, all depends on company and manufacturer recomendations. by memory or not, it is best to access the situation first before quickly jumping into conclusions to do a checklist.

Check out this MAS B737-200 safety card posted by Rozhan a while ago, which demostrated how passengers will leave. Thanks Rozhan ;)

Glad to be able to share something from the past SV Choong. I love those older style cards. Hope the images of real pics as in the scan will be quickly recalled should anyone here get into such circumstances on a B737.

This is the MH 737 Evacuation checklist.

IPB Image

And all these while I thought the major items are all the same for all airlines :rolleyes:

And now, can I see the AK checklist, please?

Edited by Radzi

Wow..THanks Capt.Radzi.

What if pilot perform flapless landing(situatuion not allowed) ?

Or pilot must perform fullflaps landing during emergency?

..... it is best to access the situation first .....

From a layman's point of view, that quote of yours would be paramount consideration !

Consider the pics of the stranded AK bird and what is depicted in the safety card. If I'm a pax evacuating, I'll jump off the leading edge of the wing instead of sliding down the flaps at trailing edge ! Also, wouldn't it be safer if they had not deployed the escape slides at the front door and allowed pax to jump down to terra firma ?

Again, the benefits of hindsight !

Wow..THanks Capt.Radzi.

What if pilot perform flapless landing(situatuion not allowed) ?

Or pilot must perform fullflaps landing during emergency?

I dont think it is possible to do a flapless landing.

If it is really performed, i think it would be quite a dangerous act.

Imagine landing very fast with high sink rate.

There is a possibility of fire underneath the fuselage, which may prevent passengers from sliding down the flaps. In this kind of chaos, passengers would normally react by running along the wings to direction without fire.

This is Continental's 737 checklist. Take note of what "Easy Victor" means.

IPB Image

I dont think it is possible to do a flapless landing.

If it is really performed, i think it would be quite a dangerous act.

Imagine landing very fast with high sink rate.

Not only it is possible to do flapless landing, it is commonly practised in the sim. And it is not as difficult as it seems.

The Continental evac cxlist that Denny put on, it is actually the same as the one used by MH. The wording might be different but the actions are basically the same. Evacuation used to be a memory item cxlist but not any more; now you pull out the book to do it. That is why it is on the back cover of the QRH.

Sign in to follow this