MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
flee

Turkish Airlines In Talks for 10 A380s Including MAS A380

Jan 26 (Reuters) - Turkish Airlines is in negotiations to obtain 10 or more Airbus A380 jets in a deal potentially worth $4 billion based on a direct purchase at catalogue prices, two people familiar with the matter said.

A deal, if finalised, would be the first airline order for the double-decker jet since Dubai's Emirates boosted its order at the Dubai Airshow in November 2013, but the people cautioned there had been false alarms about a Turkish order in the past.

Sales of the world's largest airliner have gone through a lean patch amid a slowing economy and indirect competition from Boeing's largest twinjet, the 777X, which is planned to seat 406 people compared with the A380's standard layout of 535.

Turkish Airlines and Airbus declined to comment.

A senior executive at the airline said last week it was considering expanding its fleet and was studying a list of Airbus and Boeing models including the A380.

Fast-growing Turkish Airlines has long been on Airbus's target list as a potential customer for the aircraft.

In September, industry sources said it was considering leasing the aircraft. It was not immediately clear whether the deal now being discussed would involve outright purchases or leases, or a mixture of both.

Airlines usually get steep discounts on plane orders.

Airbus has said it is confident of winning at least one new customer for the jet this year after failing to do so in 2014.

Earlier this month, Fabrice Bregier, head of the planemaking subsidiary of Airbus Group, insisted "the best days of the A380 are ahead" after the company's finance director appeared to leave the door open to axing the four-engined aircraft if it did not win more sales.

Airbus says traffic growth and a shortage of capacity at airports like Istanbul will lead to a recovery in A380 sales.

Boeing says airlines prefer smaller twin-engined jets like its own 777X that are efficient and easier to fill.

Edited by flee

well , I know they are intresting with A350 seriously. But I didn't heard that about A380 in here. Some of destinations are really good about loaded but not much enough for filling up an A380. They can be fix the capacity problem with increasing frequency with the same size aircrafts. Nowadays 777 is seems like the best options for Turkish Airlines. Even they don't interest 747s!

In priority, Turkish Airlines would be needs cargo planes. Last two A310 (converted pax to F) will be retired in following months and an era (A310 operatings) will be end for Turkish Airlines. So probably, cargo planes orders can be expects about A330F or B777F becouse of they have just only 5 A330F for cargo and operations increasing almost %20 in every year.

I am not sure if the MH A332F is still on lease to TK.

Somehow, I don't think the A380 is going to be at TK. They are just using it to negotiate a better deal for the 777X. ;) So if TK gets the A380, they must be getting a darn good price from John Leahy that will be hard for Boeing to match!

If it's true, probably it would be for 5 years later when new 3rd airport opened to operations. Because of IST doesn't have any gate for A380, alos doesn't have any parking slot such as this size aircraft :) Parking slots, ramps are the most important issue for IST today. There is a new construction on the south side of airport about removing some of military shelters and create new parking space. If an aircraft has long grounded time (late turnaround), pulling this area for resting until flight time. So, there is no chance to find a place for A380 in IST ramps :)

I said that, there is no A380 news in here. After reuters, a few aviation source began to service about A380 news at the noon. Still no official release by Turkish Airlines or Airbus.

According some rumours after Reuters news and people who are working in aviation in here(never has been talk about before); Turkish Airlines intresting with 2XA380 of Qantas for rental (I don't know renting conditions ACMI or WET,etc). Also another rumours that is comes from Turkish Airlines HQ, GM of THY Mr. Kotils says that " we are interesting with last minute opportunities of manufacturers like as unclaimed or cancelled orders with lower list prices" without any aircraft type name given. It is possible becuase of aged A340s will be retire when they have a hance to replace with new planes. Honestly, they are much closer to twin engines rather than 4 engines because of fuel effiency and maintenance (human power and budget). BEsides, there is no place for A380 in IST. Maybe it could be in new 3rd airport but it is impossbile for IST. Only 1 parking slot up to 747 in terminal and gate area with two bridge which are not suitable or modifyable for A380. Thatswhy no 747 operates to IST unless get the park position in remote ramps.

Edited by Hakan

Aircraft swap would be great too: MH A388 with TK 77W! Speaking about bridging the gap left by the "whale"...

Edited by J. Suri

Here's to hoping they do this after July! I've got an F ticket booked with MH using Avios. Certainly would be horrible news if they cancel the A380 to CDG after April when BA's new avios rates apply.

It's not easy to lease A380 neither MH nor any other airlines.

1- there is no parking lot in IST Ataturk airport, especially in terminal areas. Thatswhy, a new remote apron has ben remodified took away from military ramp. It would be very interesting if they want to use stairs for passangers :) I don't talk about air-bridge problems.

2- honestly, A380 alternate airport is biggest problem on the list priority. Istanbul Ataturk Airport has been used for A380 but she was "empty" not fully load for long haul flight.

Sometimes I'm going to airport side for watching takeoffs and landings. Especially in summer session, it seems really hard to takeoff for fully load A340s,B777 and A330. Many A340/330 pilots confirms that about limitations. So, I think A380 is not suitable for existing runways. The worst, no space to extend of runways anymore.....unless if they could find a solution like as "engineering" (example like as Madeira)

But seriously, all the rest of airports are not able to be an alternate airports by runways configuration (surface density, width, taxiways,terminal areas etc,) if they want to use, must be disembarking with only one airbridge!

When 3rd airport finished, A380 might becomes operable but alternate airport problems will be existing still.

We are waiting for general election in june. So government trying to make some "shows" what they have done. Turkish airlines is a sign of success and if they show a A380 in Turkish Airlines colours, it would be positive counts in their company during election.....even be that A380 grounded in IST....it doesn't matter for Turkish Politics and politicians!

Edited by Hakan

Aircraft swap would be great too: MH A388 with TK 77W! Speaking about bridging the gap left by the "whale"...

TK's appetite for growth makes it highly unlikely they'll lease out any planes. As it stands they can't seem to get their orders fast enough.

So 2 will go, which leave MH with 4 airframes, which should suggests that the 2 daily LHR service will stay and that's about it.

CDG is not doing badly to be honest, so I seriously doubt it's going away.

Which leaves us MH4 - considering that BA's KUL flight slots in at the same time as MH3 from LHR, I see no reason why MH needs to maintain MH4/3 (hopefully they will rent the LHR slot ISO selling it).

Why not codeshare on BA?

CDG is not doing badly to be honest, so I seriously doubt it's going away.

CDG is not doing badly because they're dumping fares to fill up the plane.

Which leaves us MH4 - considering that BA's KUL flight slots in at the same time as MH3 from LHR, I see no reason why MH needs to maintain MH4/3 (hopefully they will rent the LHR slot ISO selling it).

Why not codeshare on BA?

BA's schedule is not around the same time as MH3/4. Departure time ex LHR is 2 hours earlier than the flagship MH1. The return journey from KUL is 1 hour earlier than the flagship MH2.

BA0033 LHR KUL 20:15 16:05* BA

BA0034 KUL LHR 23:05 05:25* BA

If MH relinquish MH3/4, it will lose a daytime flight from KUL and LHR and further in the case of MH1/2, it has to compete with BA.

I see no reason why MH needs to maintain MH4/3 (hopefully they will rent the LHR slot ISO selling it).

If there's no MH4, there's no MH1.

This may not be right thread but I believe if they should just revert CDG into a B772 and utilise an A330 to DPS, DAC, MEL, HKG instead. Perhaps they could maintain all LHR flights and lease the two A380s to TK. Just a thought.

I think MH should maintain their A380 service to CDG, reducing LHR to 1daily A380 only and introduce 1 daily A380 to AMS. They need to further leverage their partnership with KLM and at the same time try to score a new codeshare agreement with BA.

I think MH should maintain their A380 service to CDG, reducing LHR to 1daily A380 only and introduce 1 daily A380 to AMS. They need to further leverage their partnership with KLM and at the same time try to score a new codeshare agreement with BA.

I think LHR cannot be changed due to the aircraft rotations to perform those flights. If both LHR and CDG is doing OK (at least, not losing money), they should be left alone and MH should not tinker wtih them till some other time.

As for leasing two A380s to TK, I doubt it that will happen. There are other more urgent problems for MH to tackle...