MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Waiping

BKI/WBKK 2015

VERY NICE PLACE TO SPOT.... THUMB UP

The spotting location is at Kipungit Hill. There is an observatory point on the side of a lane-way off Jalan Bunga Tasbeh.

Long zoom required? 200 mm ish?

I use 70-300mm zoom lens, most of the shots were taken ranging from 100 to 200mm. I cropped most of them. :)

VERY NICE PLACE TO SPOT.... THUMB UP

Alif....splendid!

Thanks! :)

Just to add a few more...

Taken with 100mm...

18643252819_3924674a9c_b.jpg

Can see as far as Kuala Penyu/Pulau Tiga on the horizon...

18803178636_ab65c35c69_b.jpg

The view from the observatory deck. I think some of you already know this location/vantage point, judging by past photos I think I saw taken from up here before.

18803420536_1b9163db7f_b.jpg

The spotting location is great to see take-off actions from runway 02, and landings from runway 20. Plus, there are no security officers to deal with, although located at posh neighbourhood (Taman Bukit Shangrila), you are there with good intention. I saw cars going back and forth from the houses, and no one seemed to be bothered (or complaining) of what I did. I hope this atmosphere continues. I also went there at night, but the dogs (in the housing premises) don't like stranger(s) lurking around in the neighbourhood at odd hours. The location itself is truly treated as observatory deck, complete with bollards and metal railing, and cement pavement. There is a bench under the canopy tent too. I am not sure whether the observatory deck was built by DBKK or sponsored by local residents, but either way this is a contribution very well done. :) You can even smell jet fuel from up there, especially when there is sea breeze. :D

Edited by Alif A. F.

GREAT LOCATION!!!
will try it out when time permited. haha...

Anyway, the island you spotted is Dinawan Island. Pulau tiga is right outside or Kuala Penyu which need to take 1 1/2 hour of boat ride from kk jetty.

Can see as far as Kuala Penyu/Pulau Tiga on the horizon...

18803178636_ab65c35c69_b.jpg

The spotting location is great to see take-off actions from runway 02, and landings from runway 20. Plus, there are no security officers to deal with, although located at posh neighbourhood (Taman Bukit Shangrila), you are there with good intention. I saw cars going back and forth from the houses, and no one seemed to be bothered (or complaining) of what I did. I hope this atmosphere continues. I also went there at night, but the dogs (in the housing premises) don't like stranger(s) lurking around in the neighbourhood at odd hours. The location itself is truly treated as observatory deck, complete with bollards and metal railing, and cement pavement. There is a bench under the canopy tent too. I am not sure whether the observatory deck was built by DBKK or sponsored by local residents, but either way this is a contribution very well done. :) You can even smell jet fuel from up there, especially when there is sea breeze. :D

B-1915 Xiamen Airlines operating MF870 enroute CGK - FOC.

11734016_10153750087526091_1677792013_o.

cx%20at%20bki.jpg
"Cathay Pacific's Lockheed L-188 Electra at Jesselton International Airport, 1964."
This is for sure not 2015 vintage :)
Pic lifted from https://www.facebook.com/northborneohistory?fref=nf
(my apologies in advance for any copyright infringement)
One of those ancient rare treasures that pop up once in a while :)

Edited by BC Tam

I hate to see this arrogant statement from that lady. I was at KK T2 last monday and was hot sweaty when this lady arrive from KUL. The claimed Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad (MAB) had yet to prepare proper facilities for them to move into Terminal 1 but in reality what have they done to pax using t2? i guess they are trying to say what have MAHB done top ensure our profit is not affected, nothing is about the passenger but their profit. Oh yeah, who say Air asia is low cost? Nasi Lemak is selling at Rm14 leh wey... murah ka?

Problem faced at Terminal Lousy Cattle Class (i would call it).

1. Not enough seat

2. long queue security n immigration

3. limited car park

4. hot, humid terminal

5. overall, its congested

6. the toilet is very dirty... shame to Malaysia when tourist arrived and found the toilet is so dirty

7. lastly at there are people SMOKING in the toilet... what is this?

I learnt my lesson last monday.

1. Only travel AK only when I am out of choice

2. when at Lousy cattle class terminal, and found a seat, stick ur butt to the chair and only move to toilet when they boarding announcement is made and joining the line after the toilet break

3. mesti ada hati batu- when u see got ppl in need i wont give up my seat... or else i will have to stand in hot steamy sweaty boarding hall...

Edited by Dr Chuo Hock Tieng

I hate to see this arrogant statement from that lady. I was at KK T2 last monday and was hot sweaty when this lady arrive from KUL. The claimed Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad (MAB) had yet to prepare proper facilities for them to move into Terminal 1 but in reality what have they done to pax using t2? i guess they are trying to say what have MAHB done top ensure our profit is not affected, nothing is about the passenger but their profit. Oh yeah, who say Air asia is low cost? Nasi Lemak is selling at Rm14 leh wey... murah ka?

Problem faced at Terminal Lousy Cattle Class (i would call it).

1. Not enough seat

2. long queue security n immigration

3. limited car park

4. hot, humid terminal

5. overall, its congested

6. the toilet is very dirty... shame to Malaysia when tourist arrived and found the toilet is so dirty

7. lastly at there are people SMOKING in the toilet... what is this?

I learnt my lesson last monday.

1. Only travel AK only when I am out of choice

2. when at Lousy cattle class terminal, and found a seat, stick ur butt to the chair and only move to toilet when they boarding announcement is made and joining the line after the toilet break

3. mesti ada hati batu- when u see got ppl in need i wont give up my seat... or else i will have to stand in hot steamy sweaty boarding hall...

Not to forget long immigration queue during afternoon peak hours 3-4 arrivals but only 3 ccounter operating plus heavy rain. I experienced it few months back queu was long up to the apron haha.

On terminal change I doubt there is anyy extra space around T2 that would warant an extension(TF has been pushing this for years instead of moving to T1) unless it involves removing a school nearby or GA hangars at the other side.

Aireen said the low-cost carrier company had five to ten-year plans to bring in at least 20 aircraft to be based in Kota Kinabalu, which would not be possible if AirAsia was to make the move to Terminal 1.

She described MAB’s call to move AirAsia to Terminal 1 as merely a short-term plan without proper long-term plans in terms of maintenance and growth.

Aireen suggested to possibly privatise Terminal 2, albeit with approval from the government or agreement to work together with AirAsia for such plans.

“There are suggestions to privatise Terminal 2 and work together with the state government to turn it into a big low-cost carrier terminal. We are willing to work together with the state government if they’re open to that.
“But whatever it is, as long as there are firm plans to facilitate a permanent low-cost terminal, yes, we will consider moving to Terminal 1. But they will need to discuss with us on this, because we don’t want a repeat of what we’re facing at KLIA 2 where they built something that just completely doesn’t facilitate the operations in a way that we would like it to be.

Read more at: http://www.theborneopost.com/2015/07/29/airasia-to-stay-put-at-kkia-terminal-2/

Maybe it is time for Airasia to build their own airport, like Bangkok Airways did at Koh Samui.

The reason I always fly with AK. Cant remember the last time I travel with them.

So you have not travelled by air for as long as memory serves you ?! :D

I don't see how this matter can be resolved soon. AA has their point about them looking into a further long term plan, and I totally agree that MAHB however like other services have a no long term planning and only do first then sort out later attitude, and hence no long term sustainable growth. It's the same for the country's policies really. So expect AA to stay put in T2 even though MAHB wants them to move to T1.

Yes T2 is in a bad state - air con virtually not working, lack of places to sit and long queues outbound and inbound. But people still take AirAsia! I also agree that T2 can't be expanded anymore - and it really is retarding AA's growth and the tourism industry. There is many hot air but no concrete resolutions to this KKIA issue, sad. Our airport's potential isn't fully tapped.

Looking back at Aireen statement of her concern of the airport tax will affect the pax, i did small research.

AK flies to 9 international destination (HGH, CAN, HKG, TPE, CRK, CEB, DPS, CGK, SIN) = 9 daily international flight

AK Domestic flight (TWU SDK KCH MYY JHB KUL PEN KBR)

BKI TWU x 4 daily

BKI SDK x 3 daily

BKI KCH x 3 daily

BKI MYY x 2 daily

BKI JHB x 1 daily

BKI KUL x 2 daily

BKI PEN x 2 daily

BKI KBR x 14 daily

total domestic flight = 31

just assume other factors ceteris paribus , which market are the one actually Aireen should look into? domestic route pax or International route pax? That airport tax are just merely excuses...kong kong kong, ketuk tin kosong

BKI KUL x 2 daily

BKI KBR x 14 daily

The first one, very underserved

The second one, impossibly unsustainable

(assuming it is only A320s being deployed on routes)

:D

Sign in to follow this