MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Waiping

BKI/WBKK 2015

Nope. It was a case of waiting for the DC3 to depart but the MiGs showed up. Afternoon around 3.30pm

Hi Waiping,

did the MiGs did a low level pass/touch and go and then did another circuit? That is what I heard from the radio.

By the way I think the AirAsia pilot sure had fun saying lineup behind the departing MiG lol. Not something you can say often.

Must be super cool for you to see them in real action! I am so jealous.

Hi Eddy, they did just a low fly pass. Was hoping they would do T&G since higher chance of getting better pics.

ok thanks Waiping. I was able to listen to them on radio, great catch and thanks for the info. Not easy indeed to get good pics for the MiGs.

Oh yes S V Choong, see previous page (page 2,lowest part) for info according to Zamir it appears at Subang and KK airport a few times already apparently. Canadian reg plane. No idea what it is doing. Has been parking there since Friday 20/2/15 I believe. It's small, had a look of it from Terminal 1 but view was limited.

ok thanks Waiping. I was able to listen to them on radio, great catch and thanks for the info. Not easy indeed to get good pics for the MiGs.

Oh yes S V Choong, see previous page (page 2,lowest part) for info according to Zamir it appears at Subang and KK airport a few times already apparently. Canadian reg plane. No idea what it is doing. Has been parking there since Friday 20/2/15 I believe. It's small, had a look of it from Terminal 1 but view was limited.

Ah okay. Thanks Eddy. Looks like she has a pair of new engines too! Don't suppose she is here to offer some scenic flights?

The DC-3 aircraft bears the name of 'Bell Geospace'. Upon quick check in Google yields a company called Bell Geospace, which market themselves as 'World Leaders in Gravity Gradiometry'.

The DC3 just departed.

After some digging I found some info about the plane:

C-FTGI is a Basler BT-67, originally a DC-3 built in 1944 but modified and modernized by Basler Turbo in 2008.

http://www.aerocanada.com/bt-67/c-ftgi/Airborne%20Survey%20Aircraft%20BT-67%20C-FTGI.htm

Legendary... isn't it? It's so much older than us and still flying up into the skies.

A bit more about the plane here:

http://bellgeo.com/basler-turbo-67s/

So maybe something to do with offshore oil exploration over here.

** the BT-67 we saw in WBKK is Reg C-FTGX not C-FTGI. **

Inside of the plane:

http://www.aerocanada.com/bt-67/c-ftgx/index.html

By the way Waiping, she's back at the far end of terminal one.

Edited by Eddy Liew

I have no academic knowledge about O&G sector, but the words 'Petronas' and 'onshore', for layman like me would think that there is potential for onshore oil discovery.... :D

doesn't sound right. I think atc suggests offshore. based on altitude of flight. Might be a different project they are contracted to.

Edited by Eddy Liew

Please please let me photograph you in better light...

10653312_10153497200476091_3694050880742

It definitely is hard to shoot the plane as it parked in the far end of T1. Guards around the entrance.

When it came from Subang I went to see it from Jln Selangor, hoping it will do like MasWings ATRs landing and taxi via Golf, instead it landed and taxied to Juliet. I was like what!? I was totally caught out. and I didn't bring my binoculars. Lesson learnt.

Hi Waiping,

did the MiGs did a low level pass/touch and go and then did another circuit? That is what I heard from the radio.

Hi Eddy,

So you reckon there was only 2 planes flying to BKI that day? I was in Labuan this afternoon and when my plane took off, I saw 4 parked in the hangar along with 2 Hawks. What a sight! Unfortunately no photos though. :(

Hi Waiping,

from the radio I can confirm 2 made contact with WBKK ATC for the low pass.

Must be quite a sight to see all of them at their Labuan Airbase indeed. We should be proud of them doing a challenging job, and flying an expensive plane well.

Jesselton.jpg

Jesselton_1959.jpg

In the 1950s - 60s DC-3 were very popular in BKI. It must have been a while since BKI had received a DC-3.

Photo credits to their respective owners, as I found them from the internet search engine.

Oh my, I think I see that open air 'waving gallery' adjacent to the ATC tower :)

And yes, you did get a whiff of kerosene with a favourable breeze (I don't recall no smoking zones being enforced too strictly back then too) :D

Edited by BC Tam

Oh my, I think I see that open air 'waving gallery' adjacent to the ATC tower :)

And yes, you did get a whiff of kerosene with a favourable breeze (I don't recall no smoking zones being enforced too strictly back then too) :D

My recollection of the terminal in the 1980s were different. The original terminal must have been expanded to cater for the widebodies - namely the A300 and DC-10-30. The open-air viewing gallery was still there, completed with sliding windows. I wonder if the terminal from the 80s were the same terminal of the original "terminal 2" that was demolished less than 10 years ago?

BC do you have any photos of the BKi terminal from the 1970 and 80s?

There was a time in 1980's when one of the proposed stops of the then Concorde world tour is BKI. But it was not allowed.

I wonder if the terminal from the 80s were the same terminal of the original "terminal 2" that was demolished less than 10 years ago?

If memory serves me right, the old original BKI terminal was left to rot disused for quite a few years after things all moved to Petagas (where T1 is nowadays) What remained after that period of neglect was largely discarded to make way for what you have termed "the original terminal 2" roughly about time red Air Asia arrived, which in turn was eaten up by the current T2 when the red buses outgrew their home

BC do you have any photos of the BKi terminal from the 1970 and 80s?

Unfortunately, the only pic I recall from the family album had Dad carrying me on his arm :)

So no, I guess photographic skill and cost were way beyond me during that stage (still largely so too I guess) :)

There was a time in 1980's when one of the proposed stops of the then Concorde world tour is BKI. But it was not allowed.

I don't think many window panes in vicinity would have survived :lol:

Edited by BC Tam

Weather was poor today. :(

10805575_10153504905251091_8587389911513

Sign in to follow this