MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

MAS Introduces Mandatory Self Check-in

KUALA LUMPUR, July 8 (Bernama) -- Malaysia Airlines (MAS) has introduced a the mandatory self check-in requirement for all economy class passengers flying out of the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) from July 15.

The airline said in a statement that customers can save valuable time and reduce the hassle of checking in via the self check-in option.

For up to 48 hours prior to a flight, customers can choose to either check in via MHweb check-in on www.malaysiaairlines.com or the MHmobile check in on flymas.mobi.

They can also use the self service check-in kiosks located at the KLIA and Putrajaya Express Rail Link station.

"There are currently 34 kiosks available throughout the KLIA. Smart phone users may also download the free MHmobile app for easy check-in. First class and business class passengers who opt for the self check-in, may do so through any of the options available," MAS said.

Customer Services Director Datuk Salleh Ahmad Tabrani said the self check-in is a prelude to implementation of the automated baggage drop and self tagging.

"Once fully implemented, the self service check-in kiosk will allow passengers to take control of their check-in experience and manage their time accordingly.

"Using this technology and innovation to automate the check-in process will also ease congestion at check-in counters.

"Our guests will benefit as it reduces the time spent waiting in queue. We urge all MAS guests to take note of this new development," he added.

Customers will only need their booking reference or the 13-digit E-Ticket number to perform the self check-in.

Support and gives oppotunity about self check-in kiosk are acceptable but "mandatory".....it's really weird!

The queue will not be shortened or waiting time lessened! Bag drop queue and waiting time usually much longer than traditional counter check in queue for international economy in KLIA. Many exasperating reasons why MH should have solved this problem but didn't. So I prefer to bag drop/check in at KL Sentral whenever feasible. One incident I remembered well in KLIA - I ditched bag drop queue after waiting for 5m yet queue didnt move. Joined the shorter counter check in queue and completed check in faster than bag drop queue.

It's good in a way as it saves cost (staff and etc) but it will take time and needs good support.

Edited by kandiah k

A lot of the issues with the bag drop counter is caused by pax treating it like any other check-in counter. They saunter up to the counter and start requesting seat changes, upgrades etc etc, they have too heavy, too big, too much bags and the like.

If everyone just drop their bags off things would be much smoother.

A lot of the issues with the bag drop counter is caused by pax treating it like any other check-in counter. They saunter up to the counter and start requesting seat changes, upgrades etc etc, they have too heavy, too big, too much bags and the like.

Passengers who do not fulfil the bag drop criteria should be asked to queue at the check-in counter. They should be politely told that the bag drop counter is for those who only need to drop off their checked in luggage. That way, the purpose of the bag drop counter will soon be understood by passengers.

Passengers are there to give MH 'issues' all the time. It is how MH respond and treat the said 'issues' that matters. In the incident that I mentioned, only 2 bag drop counters were operating vs 4 usual check in counters, during morning peak hours. Initially 4 bag drop counters were open, then 2 staff nonchalantly sauntered off, I suppose for their protected tea break. The bag drop queue twisted and turned, headed for the entrance door. Go figure.

Edited by V Wong

another issue is that MAS MANDATORY online check in is only for 48 hours prior departure. hence if my return sector is >48 hours i have to queue at self check in and then queue for luggage drop... very inefficient. The prior departure check in time should extended to at least a week, so travellers can save time from queuing at check in kiosk.

another issue is that MAS MANDATORY online check in is only for 48 hours prior departure. hence if my return sector is >48 hours i have to queue at self check in and then queue for luggage drop... very inefficient. The prior departure check in time should extended to at least a week, so travellers can save time from queuing at check in kiosk.

Nobody edits flights a week out.

The prior departure check in time should extended to at least a week, so travellers can save time from queuing at check in kiosk.

Yes, those who go to long haul destinations like LHR will probably not return for at least two weeks. So 48 hours is a little bit short...

i used to be business travellers. hence i depart on monday, back on saturday... so if this rules implies back then, i would hv problem checking in on the return sector while on travel with no smart phone n 3Gs back then...if they allow online check in a week earlier, i will do my check in on return leg before my departure.

Edited by Dr Chuo Hock Tieng

i used to be business travellers. hence i depart on monday, back on saturday... so if this rules implies back then, i would hv problem checking in on the return sector while on travel with no smart phone n 3Gs back then...if they allow online check in a week earlier, i will do my check in on return leg before my departure.

Aircraft aren't usually even assigned that far out - it's fine if you're AK/QZ and gang with only one ac type.

Not very many carriers allow you to do OLCI one week in advance. Not EK not CX not NH not SQ, not BA, not QF, not EY, not TG . MH isn't being unfair/stupid/unreasonable as it may appear to be to some here.

Not very many carriers allow you to do OLCI one week in advance. Not EK not CX not NH not SQ, not BA, not QF, not EY, not TG . MH isn't being unfair/stupid/unreasonable as it may appear to be to some here.

But they also do not require you to compulsorily self check in.

But they also do not require you to compulsorily self check in.

BA does require world traveller/domestic/euro traveller (economy passengers) to self check in before proceeding to bag drop off, they usually have ground agents enforcing this as well as helping passengers out should problems arise.

The exception to this rule when flying economy is if you have status with oneworld.

Edited by Ashley Lee

BA does require world traveller/domestic/euro traveller (economy passengers) to self check in before proceeding to bag drop off, they usually have ground agents enforcing this as well as helping passengers out should problems arise.

The exception to this rule when flying economy is if you have status with oneworld.

BA's self check in process might be easier and better implemented than MH's. We are loooking at the end result here - will MH be inconveniencing all its pax by this mandatory self check in process? Is this process well thought out? Is the rest of MH equipped for this change? Are there sufficient kiosks at the airport for those who cannot web check in? etc. etc.

Our experience with Malaysian companies (especially GLCs) is not good. Very often things are half baked when introduced as they have not thought through all the processes in detail. End result - CHAOS...

So, lets see what happens on the 15th July 2014... ;)

BA's self check in process might be easier and better implemented than MH's. We are loooking at the end result here - will MH be inconveniencing all its pax by this mandatory self check in process? Is this process well thought out? Is the rest of MH equipped for this change? Are there sufficient kiosks at the airport for those who cannot web check in? etc. etc.

Our experience with Malaysian companies (especially GLCs) is not good. Very often things are half baked when introduced as they have not thought through all the processes in detail. End result - CHAOS...

So, lets see what happens on the 15th July 2014... ;)

I guess things are chaotic enough as it is to warrant a change in "strategy" haha. I guess Enrich status holders can see this as a positive enhancement to the program seeing that they are allowed to check in "normally". Personally, I always prefer self check in to preselect seats, too cheapskate to prebook seats at a fee.

Same here - I prefer to do everything myself as these days, those serving on the counters seem to be slow and inefficient. But at KLIA, check in is a breeze if you arrive early for your flight.

We should also give some allowance to Malaysian passengers - many are from rural towns and flying for the first time. To them, a computer is like a magician's box. Perhaps MAS is moving too quickly for them!

My experience with KLIA was that the baggage drop off counter lines were way too long, snaked to the door. Usually I will move over to counter check-in line which moves faster even though I had checked-in online myself. Once I asked the counter staff how come the baggage drop off counters are proceeding so slowly when it was supposed to be just drop off and document check, she responded:" Tak Tahu..."..

Hmmmmm.........

On the note that passengers abused the baggage drop off, MAS should have deploy enough staff on the ground to check all pax if they have check in online or otherwise and segregate prior to joining the line.....Well, this is a good opportunity to create more jobs, not that MAS is 'too bloated' right? :p

My experience with KLIA was that the baggage drop off counter lines were way too long, snaked to the door. Usually I will move over to counter check-in line which moves faster even though I had checked-in online myself. Once I asked the counter staff how come the baggage drop off counters are proceeding so slowly when it was supposed to be just drop off and document check, she responded:" Tak Tahu..."..

Hmmmmm.........

On the note that passengers abused the baggage drop off, MAS should have deploy enough staff on the ground to check all pax if they have check in online or otherwise and segregate prior to joining the line.....Well, this is a good opportunity to create more jobs, not that MAS is 'too bloated' right? :p

The counter check in staff that served me just too a glance across the looooong bag drop queue, heaved a resignatory sigh, and did her job wordlessly. I think she was also hoping that the management could come up with a better check in plan.

Compared to MH, AK has many more check in counters opened during peak hours, in relation to the number of flights. One would think that MH is understaffed....

Edited by V Wong

Compared to MH, AK has many more check in counters opened during peak hours, in relation to the number of flights. One would think that MH is understaffed....

AK staff perform more functions - you will see the same check in staff at the gates, directing passengers to the aircraft too. So they can be flexible and redeployed at potential chokepoints and bottlenecks whenever necessary.

The MH agent in HKT do check to ensure you that you have done your web check in before allowing you to be in the line for baggage drop. They have a list with them, but I guess it is not practical here since there are so many flights.

Aircraft aren't usually even assigned that far out - it's fine if you're AK/QZ and gang with only one ac type.

so what the fuss being MANDATORY to online chk in? is it improvement? more efficient? more trouble making for pax? saving on staff cost, saving on boarding passes cost? what is the reason for doing so? as far as i know, maswing on KCH SBW for eg, only ATR 72 and B738 used, KCH KUL only 738 used. At one point they only use 1 ac type, but on the other point those different configuration makes them stupid as u say. f you cannot provide convenient the word MANDATORY is very very rude...

well, i may not know the exact reason they do so, to what extent they will provide services to reduce the effect from the MANDATORYness of check in by pax themselves.

What ever it is, just wait and see what will happen...

Sign in to follow this