MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
David.W

France says Malaysia can build jets if it buys Rafale

by Staff Writers
Paris (AFP) March 26, 2013

France dangled Tuesday the possibility of manufacturing its Rafale fighter plane in Malaysia if the nation selected the aircraft as its new combat jet.

" We are considering an assembly line in Malaysia," said Eric Trappier, chief executive of the Rafale's builder Dassault Aviation, in a telephone interview from the Langkawi air show in northern Malaysia.

Malaysia is looking to buy 18 combat fighters to replace its ageing Russian Mig-29s, with the Eurofighter, Boeing's F-18 and Saab's Gripen also in the running.

The multi-role Rafale, which entered service in the French military in 2001, can carry out air-ground or air-sea attacks, reconnaissance, aerial interception or nuclear strike missions.

France is keen to make its first foreign sale of the Rafale, which has struggled to find buyers, to support a project that has cost tens of billions of euros.

India has selected the Rafale, with most of the 126 fighter jets they plan to buy expected to be built there if the final contract is signed this year as hoped.

Malaysia is keen for its local companies to be involved in the manufacturing, and Trappier said that Dassault has spent considerable effort in lining up local suppliers should the Rafale be selected.

Dassault has already signed deals with Malaysian companies CTRM, Zetro Aerospace and Sapura, he noted.

by Staff Writers
Paris (AFP) March 26, 2013

France dangled Tuesday the possibility of manufacturing its Rafale fighter plane in Malaysia if the nation selected the aircraft as its new combat jet.

" We are considering an assembly line in Malaysia," said Eric Trappier, chief executive of the Rafale's builder Dassault Aviation, in a telephone interview from the Langkawi air show in northern Malaysia.

Malaysia is looking to buy 18 combat fighters to replace its ageing Russian Mig-29s, with the Eurofighter, Boeing's F-18 and Saab's Gripen also in the running.

The multi-role Rafale, which entered service in the French military in 2001, can carry out air-ground or air-sea attacks, reconnaissance, aerial interception or nuclear strike missions.

France is keen to make its first foreign sale of the Rafale, which has struggled to find buyers, to support a project that has cost tens of billions of euros.

India has selected the Rafale, with most of the 126 fighter jets they plan to buy expected to be built there if the final contract is signed this year as hoped.

Malaysia is keen for its local companies to be involved in the manufacturing, and Trappier said that Dassault has spent considerable effort in lining up local suppliers should the Rafale be selected.

Dassault has already signed deals with Malaysian companies CTRM, Zetro Aerospace and Sapura, he noted.

Sources : http://www.spacedaily.com

so if Rafale choosen by Malaysia they are planning to set up shop both in India and Malaysia? can we really trust their words.. desperate time desperate measures.. in the end we once again probably will just manufacture those tiny screw or bolts&nuts for Rafale. :D

Btw, heard the same thing when SIEMENS bid the rolling stock for our upcoming MRT saying that they will consider to manufacture it here... after the award it all went silent.. i hope they prove me wrong :)

so if Rafale choosen by Malaysia they are planning to set up shop both in India and Malaysia? can we really trust their words.. desperate time desperate measures.. in the end we once again probably will just manufacture those tiny screw or bolts&nuts for Rafale. :D

Btw, heard the same thing when SIEMENS bid the rolling stock for our upcoming MRT saying that they will consider to manufacture it here... after the award it all went silent.. i hope they prove me wrong :)

Not just Siemens - CSR Zhuzhou has also announced plans to set up plant in Perak - even when they only have an order for 20 or so rolling stocks for Ampang Line extension.

Considering the huge AirAsia (and Lion Air) A320 backlogs we should push to have an A320 line set up somewhere too...

Considering the huge AirAsia (and Lion Air) A320 backlogs we should push to have an A320 line set up somewhere too...

Yes, this is what I've been saying. The buyers should have done a deal on local manufacturing, and as it is now, huge capital leaving the country.

Its hard do believe this, as Our airforce intends to get only a handful of jets probably not more then 20 of them so why are they considering having the jets made here. Does not sound financially viable. If the plan is to have over 100+ jets in out fleet then it might be more realistic but opening a plant to just to make 20 jets?

Its hard do believe this, as Our airforce intends to get only a handful of jets probably not more then 20 of them so why are they considering having the jets made here. Does not sound financially viable. If the plan is to have over 100+ jets in out fleet then it might be more realistic but opening a plant to just to make 20 jets?

The plant is not meant for only building the jets malaysia airforce requires.. they can be used to build jets for other buyers too~

The plant is not meant for only building the jets malaysia airforce requires.. they can be used to build jets for other buyers too~

Most probably not... as they will also offer nearly the same thing to other nations...

built and manufacture Rafale fighter jets in M'sia?? very, very, very doubtful.... :nea:

maintenance and service center for those jets in M'sia? its do-able & realistic...

web.jpg

In the time I was at LIMA 2013, I noticed that the Rafale did the most number of joyride sorties. The Rafale was developed because the French disagreed with the Eurofighter Typhoon specs. They did not want a heavy fighter and they wanted something lighter and more agile. They are now trying very hard to win more orders, now that the French Air Force orders are running out...

How many Mongolian translators/intermediaries will be required if a Rafale production line is to be established here ? :D

web.jpg

In the time I was at LIMA 2013, I noticed that the Rafale did the most number of joyride sorties. The Rafale was developed because the French disagreed with the Eurofighter Typhoon specs. They did not want a heavy fighter and they wanted something lighter and more agile. They are now trying very hard to win more orders, now that the French Air Force orders are running out...

And I thought Typhoon is already a lightweight fighter jets.. Rafale must be in featherweight class hehe..

And I thought Typhoon is already a lightweight fighter jets.. Rafale must be in featherweight class hehe..

Personally, there would be a better choice than Typhoon ...... :unsure:

:hi:

I believe both Rafale and Typhoon is in the same category. Gripen is considered lightwieght while Su30 and F15 is heavyweight... So Rafale and Typhoon along with the Superhornet could be middleweight. I read somewhere that Rafale is an attack oriented multirole aircraft while Typhoon is air superiority oriented multirole.