MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

3 hours ago, jahur said:

DXB is more of the city not financing planning proper drainage system for a torrential rain that originally happens once every few years. But same time their gov is doing 180ish annual cloud seeding to secure water and agriculture stability. So even 45minutes of torrential rain is enough to put the city into a halt now made worse with unintended result potentially from cloud seeding.

Also, I was shocked after knowing that until few years ago Dubai didn't have extensive sewerage pipelines. Meaning that all those human wastes were transported by trucks to designated treatment plants. There was a video that was showing sewage trucks lined up the highway in the outskirts of Dubai. It was claimed that Burj Khalifa didn't even have the sewerage pipeline installed.

46 minutes ago, Craig said:

That and also this was once in a century storm. Not saying that they shouldn't invest in proper drainage system, but countries do not usually build drainage to handle a year's worth of rain in 24 hours. If KL had 140+mm (5+ inches) in 24 hours, it'd overwhelm our drainage system too but of course it wouldn't be as bad as what Dubai experienced, but good luck to Sri Muda or Puchong.

Are there still a lot of post-raya demand? I still see MH 7xxx series flying around so I assume there will be some backlog. What does black/blue box on your map indicates?

Yes post raya traffic still around suppose down to end of this week. Black means certain restriction in place related to the eruption as for blue i have no idea. It seems Sarawak condition is improving but not Sabah for now. At least for KL if it is flooded water will recede within few hours. For Dubai i heard its been 24hours and not much condition has improved.

levated SO2 readings were recorded in Tawau and its raining hours ago have yet to see MET issuing out notices for public to stay indoor during rain. Forecast indicates it is moving slightly northwest.

Screenshot_20240418_143544_Windy.png

Screenshot_20240418_135000_Windy.png

Edited by jahur

Are BI’s plane built differently? They seem to have somewhat normal operations. 🤣

59 minutes ago, jahur said:

At least for KL if it is flooded water will recede within few hours. For Dubai i heard its been 24hours and not much condition has improved.

We have relatively decent drainage system but sometimes it does get overwhelmed. But developers are eyeing a few of those retaining ponds for development. So who knows in the future. 

And I am also surprised that some people don’t understand why SMART tunnel is closed during heavy downpours and blame poor planning when the tunnel floods 🤣

7 minutes ago, Craig said:

Are BI’s plane built differently? They seem to have somewhat normal operations. 🤣

We have relatively decent drainage system but sometimes it does get overwhelmed. But developers are eyeing a few of those retaining ponds for development. So who knows in the future. 

And I am also surprised that some people don’t understand why SMART tunnel is closed during heavy downpours and blame poor planning when the tunnel floods 🤣

CX A359 and Hong Kong A330 just flew right on top of moutn kinabalu at 39000feet hours ago heading north while the rest skiddled out the borders. Sometimes special dispension given by their respective flight ops. As for BI saw one cruising at 18000feet only.

Another look seems almost easily 70% of the pax in BKI KCH do not have travel insurance lol.

Forecast for friday and saturday. Operations should resume recovery by late Saturday.  

Screenshot_20240418_185712_Windy.png

Screenshot_20240418_185822_Windy.png

Screenshot_20240418_194349_Windy.png

Stranded travellers offered free itinerary change or full refund

PETALING JAYA: Malaysia Airlines is offering passengers affected by flight cancellations due to the Mount Ruang volcanic eruption with the choice of a one-time itinerary change at no cost or a full refund.

The airline said it understood the inconvenience caused to its passengers as the flight cancellations have disrupted their travel plans.

“Affected customers who wish to change their flights or cancel their travel may do so via ‘My Booking’ on our website.

“Alternatively, customers may also reach out to our Live Chat support available on the website or call our Global Contact Centre.

With so many pax unable to fly now, will MH be deploying A330s to clear the backlog when flights resume?

1 hour ago, flee said:

With so many pax unable to fly now, will MH be deploying A330s to clear the backlog when flights resume?

I see MH2668 KUL-SDK being operated by an A330 later today

OD1002 KUL-BKI is on its way now with an A330, as will MH2614, 2616, 2638 and  2640 later in the day

Edited by BC Tam

20 minutes ago, BC Tam said:

I see MH2668 KUL-SDK being operated by an A330 later today

OD1002 KUL-BKI is on its way now with an A330, as will MH2614, 2616, 2638 and  2640 later in the day

That sdk flight is likely an flightradar24 error its been that way for months. BKI also.

Seems like a few regional flights have been affected due to partial closure around Kota Kinabalu FIR. MH603 to SIN and MH784 to BKK  has been canceled. As a result, MH788 to BKK will be up gauged to 332.

High SO2 concentration now over at South China Sea but will gradually be weaken starting tonight and by the time it reaches Vietnam in Sunday it should not impact flights over that region. Sabah and Sarawak as of now is almost completely covered in it.

KCH, BTU, SBW has started recovery attempts with most flights tracking more from the south using Jakarta and Singapore FIR.

MYY, BWN, BKI, SDK, TWU severe restrictions still around. Limited flights crossing south china sea with limited altitude clearance of less than 35000feet and below plus limited corridor in amount of traffic allowed. Expect more flights restoration by tomorrow evening.

Flights operated by MASwings remains completely unaffected as their ATR-72 can cruise lower height without any fuel penalty.

BKI KCH widebody rescue can expect MH to only supply 1-2 dedicated aircraft back to back. OD and AK the same. Expect teething problems in clearing stranded backlog to persist down to next week.

Edited by jahur

59 minutes ago, Craig said:

Seems like a few regional flights have been affected due to partial closure around Kota Kinabalu FIR. MH603 to SIN and MH784 to BKK  has been canceled. As a result, MH788 to BKK will be up gauged to 332.

Wonder why MH603 was cancelled. 

I was that MH704 to Manila was delayed by 5 hours. Aircraft used had sat on the ground for ages. I thought the route used was farther north of the ash cloud

20 minutes ago, jahur said:

Screenshot 2024-04-19 121620.png

Screenshot 2024-04-19 121801.png

Looks like its heading towards us :(
Haze was bad yesterday until the evening storm. Wonder if it will affect KL/Singapore?

3 hours ago, Robert said:

Looks like its heading towards us :(
Haze was bad yesterday until the evening storm. Wonder if it will affect KL/Singapore?

From the looks of it it may be heading more towards vietnam and maybe pahang but before reaching land the so2 concentration wouldve depleted quite a lot so not much a hazard by then.

1 hour ago, jahur said:

From the looks of it it may be heading more towards vietnam and maybe pahang but before reaching land the so2 concentration wouldve depleted quite a lot so not much a hazard by then.

Doesn't it also affect the airways of the South China Sea? Anyway, FR24 seems to be showing quite a bit of traffic now,

13 minutes ago, flee said:

Doesn't it also affect the airways of the South China Sea? Anyway, FR24 seems to be showing quite a bit of traffic now,

Intensity of so2 intensity is depleting so much more flight dispension can be offerred. As a result of the ash cloud getting less intense and thinning unlike yesterday, more various off track and more altitude assignments can be use now. Should expect moderate service recovery for Sabah by tomorrow evening. 

Edited by jahur

Seems like EK still hasn't recovered from their meltdown a few days ago. Pictures of people sleeping on the terminal floor, bags taking forever (if they are ever found/delivered), no communications from EK, poor IT, no weather waiver. There has been a few people complaining about how MH handled this Mt. Ruang situation too. They can't rebook online nor can they cancel online (not too sure if they booked via OTA). MH could learn a few things from American/European carriers by issuing travel waivers due to force majeure and enable their IT to allow passengers rebook themselves (rebook themselves to another day within a window or full refund if their flights are canceled).

1 minute ago, Craig said:

Seems like EK still hasn't recovered from their meltdown a few days ago. Pictures of people sleeping on the terminal floor, bags taking forever (if they are ever found/delivered), no communications from EK, poor IT, no weather waiver. There has been a few people complaining about how MH handled this Mt. Ruang situation too. They can't rebook online nor can they cancel online (not too sure if they booked via OTA). MH could learn a few things from American/European carriers by issuing travel waivers due to force majeure and enable their IT to allow passengers rebook themselves (rebook themselves to another day within a window or full refund if their flights are canceled).

Post covid many flights to/from Singapore were being cancelled. 99% of the time I book via the MH site and in the event of a cancellation you or put on another flight and given the choice of alternative flights.dates. Either the system has an issue or its caused by booking it via an OTA.

On a side note MH needs to be more competitive against the OTA prices and then more people will book directly.

38 minutes ago, Robert said:

Post covid many flights to/from Singapore were being cancelled. 99% of the time I book via the MH site and in the event of a cancellation you or put on another flight and given the choice of alternative flights.dates. Either the system has an issue or its caused by booking it via an OTA.

I have used that function during covid as well (granted they were all domestic flights then). I don't recall a huge schedule change or cancelations with MH for my post covid travels with them, so I wouldn't know. My MH experience is usually delays on the day of travel and it's too late to do anything about it. But a travel waiver is a bit different. It allows passengers to rebook themselves if they are flying on these dates, whether or not their flight is canceled/delayed.