MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

17 hours ago, sweekee said:

TPE AKL JED MED BKK PER

I remember reading on here that during an MH townhall they announced that were going to put A332/A333's on some Singapore flights. Im guessing that this is shelved owing to the lack of aircraft?

TPE AKL JED MED BKK PER

I mean once MH receive sufficient 339s. I always thought AKL will be the first one to switch to 339.

TPE AKL JED MED BKK PER

I mean once MH receive sufficient 339s. I always thought AKL will be the first one to switch to 339.

1 additional A359 to be register as 9M-MAH is expected to receive by this November 2023 while another one is still under negotiation process with lessor with expectation to deliver by March 2024. Yet, Don’t get suprised that the first A339 destination would be Melbourne. 

2 hours ago, Mr.Bandit said:

1 additional A359 to be register as 9M-MAH is expected to receive by this November 2023 while another one is still under negotiation process with lessor with expectation to deliver by March 2024. Yet, Don’t get suprised that the first A339 destination would be Melbourne. 

That's a great news,I wonder where's the aircraft lease from?

4 hours ago, Mr.Bandit said:

Interesting. As sweekee mentioned - where is this aircraft leased from and what cabin will it come in?

The first one coming from ex-SAS aircraft (SE-RSB) while second one remains unknown, most probably come from ex-SAS too. The cabin config though I didn’t get much info on this matter.

1 hour ago, Mr.Bandit said:

The first one coming from ex-SAS aircraft (SE-RSB) while second one remains unknown, most probably come from ex-SAS too. The cabin config though I didn’t get much info on this matter.

Thank you. Interesting. SAS A359 is configured with 40J/32W/228Y (where as MH's 359 is 4F/35J/27E+/220Y). I am curious if MH is planning to introduce W (Premium Economy) or will they reconfigure this cabin, not that anything is wrong with SAS' cabin. I've been on SE-RSE and I love their 350 (and J seats on 330/359).

20 minutes ago, sweekee said:

But I thought SE-RSB belongs to China Airline

Screenshot_20230811-214522.png

Probably negotiations failed for CI. Same way a while back MH failed to negotiate for the CX frames.

14 minutes ago, jahur said:

Probably negotiations failed for CI. Same way a while back MH failed to negotiate for the CX frames.

Interesting. I am curious if MH is looking at 35-40 J seats for their 359s since CX/SK have similar capacity. And I didn't know SK is trying to get rid of their 359s. I thought they are short of planes too.

Just now, Craig said:

Interesting. I am curious if MH is looking at 35-40 J seats for their 359s since CX/SK have similar capacity. And I didn't know SK is trying to get rid of their 359s. I thought they are short of planes too.

They had a big fight with the pilots a while back and now they're downsizing a bit of the fleet.

SAS downsizing by disposing 2 a350 and 3 a333s

5 hours ago, Riza said:

If I'm not mistaken, those AY 333 were wet-leased to QF for their SIN flights.

I think this is a separate issue that you are talking about. FinnairA330 are operating QF flights to SIN and BKK from Australia.  

SAS are putting 5 aircraft in storage… opportunity for MAS really!

3 hours ago, Izanee said:

I think this is a separate issue that you are talking about. FinnairA330 are operating QF flights to SIN and BKK from Australia.  

SAS are putting 5 aircraft in storage… opportunity for MAS really!

SAS is only letting go 2 a350 though which MH is already midway taking. The remaining 3 are A330-300Enhanced equipped with trent 700 which is also not technically the same as the Neo's trent 7000. Dont think kedekut MH has to stomach to operate PW 4170,  RRTrent 700 plus 7000 up to 2027.

As of now with the 2 SAS frames out there's about less than 11 left + - . Compared to earlier this year nearly 30plus but note some were taken and lease back by their former operators.

On 8/12/2023 at 6:51 PM, jahur said:

SAS is only letting go 2 a350 though which MH is already midway taking. The remaining 3 are A330-300Enhanced equipped with trent 700 which is also not technically the same as the Neo's trent 7000. Dont think kedekut MH has to stomach to operate PW 4170,  RRTrent 700 plus 7000 up to 2027.

As of now with the 2 SAS frames out there's about less than 11 left + - . Compared to earlier this year nearly 30plus but note some were taken and lease back by their former operators.

Good to see the fleet developing. I believe there might also be some "Azul" A350s up for grabs from Brazil. 

On 8/12/2023 at 6:51 PM, jahur said:

TBH, I will only believe the news when they are actually delivered in MH colours. China Airlines has officially announced back in June they are taking one leased A350-900, to be delivered in Q4, 2023 (a lot of news portal were reporting it is MSN 378 ex-SAS SE-RSB) and another was under negotiation for delivery in Q1, 2024. https://www.china-airlines.com/tw/en/discover/news/press-release/20230616

If MH is indeed taking up MSN 378 and MSN 391, what happened to another two more? Recalling MH was looking to secure four additional A350s on top of their current six.

As for A330-300 fleet, I agree with you. MH is getting rid of A330ceo fleet soon, I don't they will take in those ex-SAS A330-343 with Trent 700 engines, for a few months when their own A330-941neo is due some months down the road. MH is not that smart to work out a deal with Airbus for bridging fleet deal. Take in three A330-343s for ground/ maintenance crew to learn RR engines, while waiting for A330-941neo to arrive. That would be wet dream for local spotters.

On the A350 availability on the used market: only nine are available, the rest have all been mopped up by Lufthansa (8), Delta (9), Air India (6), Iberia (2) and Fiji Airways (4). Thai Airways is looking to add 11 more A350-900, two delivered, looking for another nine now.

1. MSN 124 (ex-Hong Kong Airlines B-LGA), currently with Azul, rumoured to be leaving
  2. MSN 153 (ex-Hong Kong Airlines B-LGB)
  3. MSN 168 (ex-Hong Kong Airlines B-LGC), currently with Azul, rumoured to be leaving
  4. MSN 187 (ex-Hong Kong Airlines B-LGD)
  5. MSN 235 (ex-Hong Kong Airlines B-LGE)
  6. MSN 246 (ex- Hainan Airlines B-308G)
  7. MSN 256 (ex- Hong Kong Airlines B-LGH)
  8. MSN 378 (ex- SAS Scandinavian Airlines SE-RSB)
  9. MSN 391 (ex- SAS Scandinavian Airlines SE-RSC)

52801484042_68cfde4c0f_c.jpg

"Active ramp", Victorville - California by Colin Parker, on Flickr

52731940683_82a5744b7e_c.jpg

SE-RSC Airbus A350-941 SAS s/n 391 * Tarbes 2023 * by @Eurospot, on Flickr

Edited by JuliusWong

46 minutes ago, JuliusWong said:

TBH, I will only believe the news when they are actually delivered in MH colours. China Airlines has officially announced back in June they are taking one leased A350-900, to be delivered in Q4, 2023 (a lot of news portal were reporting it is MSN 378 ex-SAS SE-RSB) and another was under negotiation for delivery in Q1, 2024. https://www.china-airlines.com/tw/en/discover/news/press-release/20230616

If MH is indeed taking up MSN 378 and MSN 391, what happened to another two more? Recalling MH was looking to secure four additional A350s on top of their current six.

As for A330-300 fleet, I agree with you. MH is getting rid of A330ceo fleet soon, I don't they will take in those ex-SAS A330-343 with Trent 700 engines, for a few months when their own A330-941neo is due some months down the road. MH is not that smart to work out a deal with Airbus for bridging fleet deal. Take in three A330-343s for ground/ maintenance crew to learn RR engines, while waiting for A330-941neo to arrive. That would be wet dream for local spotters.

On the A350 availability on the used market: only nine are available, the rest have all been mopped up by Lufthansa (8), Delta (9), Air India (6), Iberia (2) and Fiji Airways (4). Thai Airways is looking to add 11 more A350-900, two delivered, looking for another nine now.

1. MSN 124 (ex-Hong Kong Airlines B-LGA), currently with Azul, rumoured to be leaving
  2. MSN 153 (ex-Hong Kong Airlines B-LGB)
  3. MSN 168 (ex-Hong Kong Airlines B-LGC), currently with Azul, rumoured to be leaving
  4. MSN 187 (ex-Hong Kong Airlines B-LGD)
  5. MSN 235 (ex-Hong Kong Airlines B-LGE)
  6. MSN 246 (ex- Hainan Airlines B-308G)
  7. MSN 256 (ex- Hong Kong Airlines B-LGH)
  8. MSN 378 (ex- SAS Scandinavian Airlines SE-RSB)
  9. MSN 391 (ex- SAS Scandinavian Airlines SE-RSC)

3rd frame already in discussion but will only enter Q3 next year there is a rumor the aircraft is still operating with the previous airline so it is waiting for the lease term to end. 4th frame no news but the intention was to have it enter by Q4 2024.

Note MH from what i noticed months back was only interested in the CX(Now no longer available) and Hong Kong Airlines frame. The SAS frame was something the lessor informed MH around March-April this year and only around late Q2 this year something was agreed upon in signing.

Also A339 1st 2 aircraft delivery delayed to Q3 2024. Est a330neo entering next year around 3 units only. with around 8-9 frames in 2025

47 minutes ago, jahur said:

3rd frame already in discussion but will only enter Q3 next year there is a rumor the aircraft is still operating with the previous airline so it is waiting for the lease term to end. 4th frame no news but the intention was to have it enter by Q4 2024.

Note MH from what i noticed months back was only interested in the CX(Now no longer available) and Hong Kong Airlines frame. The SAS frame was something the lessor informed MH around March-April this year and only around late Q2 this year something was agreed upon in signing.

Also A339 1st 2 aircraft delivery delayed to Q3 2024. Est a330neo entering next year around 3 units only. with around 8-9 frames in 2025

Thank you for the information. CX will be bringing all their fleet back into operation by end of 2024 sans those A320 and 77W exiting the fleet, currently at 60%, recently reported during their Q1 result. Placing new order 32 A320neo and leasing another 18. Therefore, not surprised their airframe are no longer on offer. As for HNA Group airframes, they have been available for a long time, MH could have moved faster and attain all four from same source at least maintenance wise will be easier.

Quite curious where the third airframe is coming from, as every airline is trying to hold onto their fleet now. Both SAS airframes MSN 378 and MSN 391 were previously being put up to auction. https://www.aviacionline.com/2023/06/two-airbus-a350-from-sas-to-be-auctioned/ Did MH secured them before the auction took place? MSN 391 is still being listed for public auction https://www.airstream.aero/aircraft/#SALE https://www.airstream.aero/airstream-exclusively-mandated-to-sell-one-a350-900-aircraft/

Edited by JuliusWong

30 minutes ago, JuliusWong said:

Thank you for the information. CX will be bringing all their fleet back into operation by end of 2024 sans those A320 and 77W exiting the fleet, currently at 60%, recently reported during their Q1 result. Placing new order 32 A320neo and leasing another 18. Therefore, not surprised their airframe are no longer on offer. As for HNA Group airframes, they have been available for a long time, MH could have moved faster and attain all four from same source at least maintenance wise will be easier.

Quite curious where the third airframe is coming from, as every airline is trying to hold onto their fleet now. Both SAS airframes MSN 378 and MSN 391 were previously being put up to auction. https://www.aviacionline.com/2023/06/two-airbus-a350-from-sas-to-be-auctioned/ Did MH secured them before the auction took place?

From the looks both frames were auctioned to some Japanese company i dont think MH got them from the auction. It is likely MH is one of the few airlines that is in contac with the Japanese company that went to the auction.

My bets the third frame would be ex hong kong airlines. Cause MH is only finding frames with that herringbone seat. But again with what was said that the plane is still flying awaiting lease term ending so it is also confusing to which frame it will be. Expect we will only see some clue early next year.

Edited by jahur

3 hours ago, jahur said:

Do I remember correctly that MH was expecting to receive their 1st A339 sometime Q4 2023 and now it has been pushed further back to Q3 2024? Does this mean the A332 will serve AKL for at least another year (unless the leased A359 will take over AKL)? CX 350 would have been a nice addition.

2 hours ago, jahur said:

My bets the third frame would be ex hong kong airlines. Cause MH is only finding frames with that herringbone seat. But again with what was said that the plane is still flying awaiting lease term ending so it is also confusing to which frame it will be. Expect we will only see some clue early next year.

According to Hong Kong Airlines fleet page, they still have 2 A359 in operation (can't tell when the website was last updated) but FR24 doesn't show any active A359 with HX. Their seat map seems to indicate reverse herringbone seat. And if MH is insisting with that herringbone seat, I assume they don't want to change the cabin and lease it as it is.

20 minutes ago, Craig said:

Do I remember correctly that MH was expecting to receive their 1st A339 sometime Q4 2023 and now it has been pushed further back to Q3 2024? Does this mean the A332 will serve AKL for at least another year (unless the leased A359 will take over AKL)? CX 350 would have been a nice addition.

According to Hong Kong Airlines fleet page, they still have 2 A359 in operation (can't tell when the website was last updated) but FR24 doesn't show any active A359 with HX. Their seat map seems to indicate reverse herringbone seat. And if MH is insisting with that herringbone seat, I assume they don't want to change the cabin and lease it as it is.

CX is retiring or has retired some B77Ws, replacing them with A350s, therefore they won't be letting go any A350. Hong Kong Airlines has phased out A350s for good, no current pilot is A350-type rated. MH has extended A330-223 lease extension for another five years. A330neo delivery has scheduled to delivery from Q3, 2024 when the order is placed.

Edited by JuliusWong

5 minutes ago, JuliusWong said:

CX is retiring or has retired some B77Ws, replacing them with A350s, therefore they won't be letting go any A350. Hong Kong Airlines has phased out A350s for good, no current pilot is A350-type rated. MH has extended A330-223 lease extension for another five years.

I understand that CX's 359 aren't available. Just saying that would have been a nice (missed) addition. Thank you for HX's 359 status - I didn't know that the 359s are gone from HX for good and that they don't have any 359-rated pilots. 

As for MH's 332, I read further up that their lease was extended for another 5 years but I wasn't expecting them to fly to AKL for another year given the challenges these planes pose for this long-haul sector. The 339s were primed for AKL but I also recall (correctly, I hope) that they were expecting their first plane Q4 2023 but it seems like it has been delayed by another 3 quarters.