MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
alberttky

Chinese man warned after in-flight door mistake

HONG KONG (AFP) - A Chinese man needed to be restrained after he tried to open the emergency exit thinking it was the toilet door during a flight to Hong Kong, an airline said on Friday.

Crew of the Hong Kong Airlines flight from Bali, Indonesia, were shocked to see the 52-year-old man rise from his seat halfway through the journey and start pulling on the emergency door handle, the airline said.

The door failed to open and crew stepped in to physically restrain the man, who was identified only by his surname Peng.

"When the police questioned him after landing, he said he thought it was the toilet door, since this was the first time he had traveled on an aircraft," an airline spokeswoman said.

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/asia/story/chinese-man-warned-after-flight-door-mistake-20120928

This guy is a mainlander judging by the spellings of his surname. His argument is weak because he should be able to see the sky as there is normally a small window at the door.

May be he is looking for a heavenly toilet in the wilderness :)

Edited by S V Choong

This guy is a mainlander judging by the spellings of his surname.

It wouldn't surprise me if he was one!

May be he is looking for a heavenly toilet in the wilderness :)

He should go to the toilet alone, not bringing everybody else with him.

He should go to the toilet alone, not bringing everybody else with him.

As with the usual case in mainland China... the individuals normally consider themselves first and others come last or sometimes none at all.....

I wonder if it can be opened as well. I understand the plug type like those on 737s non-ng cannot be opened due to cabin pressure as it has to be pulled inwards first. The NG series opens outwards, and many planes open outwards as well. Going back to the plug type, when below 10,000 feet when pressure is low, can one open it with some force? We dont want to be in a flight with crazy people or those with suicidal tendencies!

It happened on my flight in MEL a couple of years ago where a mainland Chinese took showers in the aircraft toilet after he found out that the water is warm enough and very refreshing for it. Luckily it was still on ground and initially the cabin crew thought it was a leak from the toilet. She knocked the door and instead of that guy came out from the toilet, he asked for a bath soap ...... It was hilarious ..... :air_kiss:

:hi:

From my experience, i found out that the crowd flying with MH/SQ/CX they are behaving quite good especially for long haul routes as compare wih crowd in QR/EK in Y of course :)

Edited by nrazmoor

Of course no other national grouping can be as sophisticated and worldwise as Malaysians .

Chinese travellers tend to be a bit more peculiar, especially those new to travelling.. In general terms, they have less regard for hygiene, but this is getting better and better by the day as the country becomes richer and its people more exposed to the world. I once saw a mother letting her child urinate into the sink in McDonald in full view of patrons. For them it was no big deal, just turn on the tap and let the water run.

Of course no other national grouping can be as sophisticated and worldwise as Malaysians .

Self glorifying statement here.... The reality is that there are good and bad people everywhere.

In terms of politeness and consideration for others, the Japanese will defeat Malaysian easily when compared.

Self glorifying statement here.... The reality is that there are good and bad people everywhere.

In terms of politeness and consideration for others, the Japanese will defeat Malaysian easily when compared.

Errrrr.... I was being facetious ....... ...

LOL! Good one. Sarcasm duly noted.

After speaking with several FAs on my flights, they often dread flying to two destinations: China and India.

So, did Peng sifu get to pee in the end after all the restraining?

I guess in this regions, pre-flight briefings would include showing the locations of the toilets besides the emergency doors.

I have foreign workers who do not even know how to open a car door to get in, and to get out. This was hilarious as my colleague waited in the car for them to get in, only to find them all standing anxiously looking at the car. My colleague ended up opening doors to these "VIPs".

And obviously they are not toilet trained as well. Its as if a nuclear bomb has just exploded in the cubicles.

Anyway, with patience and understanding from all, they are now as civilized as their Malaysian colleagues.

Maybe they are used to traveling in Alphards or similar ones with touch button doors.

I wonder if it can be opened as well. I understand the plug type like those on 737s non-ng cannot be opened due to cabin pressure as it has to be pulled inwards first. The NG series opens outwards, and many planes open outwards as well. Going back to the plug type, when below 10,000 feet when pressure is low, can one open it with some force? We dont want to be in a flight with crazy people or those with suicidal tendencies!

737 families using the same plug type door including NG.

as long the cabin different pressure is there, the door can't be open....:-)

Just for a refresher, can anyone please list out the the aircraft types in service nowadays with doors that

1) open 'outwards' (does this exist ?)

2) plug type

3) slide upwards/sideways

4) any other tricks ?

Many thanks in advance :)

Sign in to follow this