MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

Airline foods

i wonder how those people survive for months long on board ISS up there.

Years................................ :D

Is there space to cook in plane...would love Chef Wan onboard in my flight :)

It was MH. With AK, it has always been that way !

Flew a few times with AK with overweight and was NEVER charged extra; just lucky, or good passenger's service ?

From UA's description of their international meal service:

After dinner liqueurs, Port Wine and Starbucks coffee complete a memorable dining experience.

I don't think anyone can consider, with a straight face, Starbucks coffee as 'memorable' or even an actual 'dining experience.' :S

And that's in First class...

at least airline food is way better then space food.

you guys ever try freeze dry food. I did try some when i was at the space center at Houston. Freeze dry is just, ......hate to say about it, OK imagine sucking a cold soup out of a plastic :wacko: of course they could heat it up.

i wonder how those people survive for months long on board ISS up there.

Azuddin

f we want on board chef, maybe airline should install exaust for outtake for the cooker hood :D :D . it's like having a chimeny :lol: :lol: .

Azuddin

OS has an onboard chef don't they? From Do and Co to boot.

An update on my colleague - got whacked a fortune for excess baggage, apparently not a single kg excess allowed without charge. They ARE serious this time round !!

A friend of mine was required to pay excess baggage charges on his Shanghai-KL MH flight two days ago. He offloaded some items to be within the limit and had the excess stuff brought down on a later flight by a friend. He is a regular flyer around the world (quite a lot on MH) and always flies biz class. He told the staff that that is the standard weight he carries on all his flights and he never was charged excess baggage before. On United they would always check if the flight was full and if it wasn't he would be allowed to carry even more. On that particular MH flight, the plane was about a third empty, so what was the fuss? These little things can turn loyal customers away.

sorry attan sir, but i disagree with you....today if you're gonna allow a pax to carry excess baggage juz coz the plane is 1/3rd empty....tomorrow...the word spreads around and next time when a pax isnt allowed excess weight coz the plane is full, he or she is gonna be making hell of a noise there...this makes things difficult for ground staff..its a matter of all or none..either u implement it totally and thoroughly or dont implement it at all....thats the only way pax will know that rules are meant to be followed....

someone told me this once

It is a waste to bring people from tawau to have seafood, one, It burns a whole in your pocket, two, it is substandard to the stuff we get in tawau right SV?

4 tiger prawns to a KG.. abit crazy la.. .but wonderful to eat :lol: :lol:

Edited by Ken K. Kour

On that particular MH flight, the plane was about a third empty, so what was the fuss? These little things can turn loyal customers away.

Attan,

In the ticket, it stipulates how much you can carry free-of-charge: in business and first-class this is (even) 30 kilos, not the regular 20 kilos...so what's the fuss ? Obide by the rules !!!

MH is not the only strict carrier nowadays; AF-KL have introduced also a strict weight policy, and after initial moaning from the passengers, it subsided away now, and everyone knows (and passenger traffic still gaining in percentage, so they're not turning away, apparently); besides, it's a good income generator for the airline...agree with Sanjay, it should never have anything to do with the actual load onboard...that's why, I was soooo surprised, that AK was so lenient to me the times I flew with them and had more than 15 kgs of luggage :o (see also above reply by me)...

Sandeep, Pieter

Thanks for your responses. I'm all for strict enforcement of the excess baggage rules. It makes life easier for the check-in personnel. However, some airlines adopt a more flexible approach and in a competitive environment they are more likely to retain their customers.

Off topic, just to add a bit on the excess baggage thing. How do pax know that the weighing scales is calibrated? Do passsenger have the right to check with the airlines that when the check-in counter says the bag weights 20kgs, it is actually 20kgs?

I have experienced different weights when I checked in at KUL, and at KCH, for the same bag with nothing taken out and nothing added in. I was on my way to Mukah from KUL and transit at KCH for the Twin Otter flight. There was a difference of 2 kgs at KCH!

I have experienced different weights when I checked in at KUL, and at KCH, for the same bag with nothing taken out and nothing added in. I was on my way to Mukah from KUL and transit at KCH for the Twin Otter flight. There was a difference of 2 kgs at KCH!

Good point there, Rozhan, there should be a calibration sticker on the scales with the date on it; if not, I would ask for a supervisor and debate the excess bagage payment...

talking bout weights.. i find MAS had changed their international economy class allowable cargo weight from 30 to only 20kg!!! This is not fair.. Why are they doing these? Fares are up.. and getting these!!! :angry: :angry: I know i know off topic!!! :p

talking bout weights.. i find MAS had changed their international economy class allowable cargo weight from 30 to only 20kg!!! This is not fair.. Why are they doing these? Fares are up.. and getting these!!! :angry: :angry: I know i know off topic!!! :p

Maybe they want passangers to carry light, so to free up space for cargo. Well, take it as a small step from you (or us) to help MH regain profitability by carrying more cargo :p

Haha.. . I think they want to save fuel lah.. less weight less fuel burn.. :lol:

Mas was known to be lenient on excess luggage but without giving customers some ‘extra’ allowance, most customers won’t be happy to pay for excess luggage.

Mas has the rights to collect excess luggage fees but how much customers good will is lost?

Believe most people who have paid the excess luggage fees will opt for another airline when they travel next.

This is not fair.. Why are they doing these?

Why not fair...this is to streamline with other mainline carriers...moreover, I believe, when they want to join an Alliance, all members should have equal "rules and limitations"...just my 2 sen...

Over here in NZ, regardless of any flights or any airline you take. You will be allowed only 7kg of hand luggage into the cabin and no more than 2 small bags or 1 large bag. How is that for a change?

The MAS manager here is a busy guy ensuring that everyone that gets onboard every MH flight carries only 7kg or less. If you are carrying more weight, he will ask you to take it down to the undercarriage....

Beside safety, hand luggage limitation is for the benefits of airport duty free shops.

Airport authority tends to check pax hand luggage piece, size and weight before entering duty-free shops but not after.

Airport authority tends to check pax hand luggage piece, size and weight before entering duty-free shops but not after.

In the case of Auckland, they check you just before you board the aircraft.

Does anyone know whether actual or estimated weight of pax's luggage is used in determining the aircraft's take-off weight ? I noticed baggage allowance on flights to some destinations (US?) allow for number of pieces of luggage, instead of the normal kg spec. Are these baggages weighed after checked in by pax ?

i think they count it by 30kg or whatever it is the passenger max weight luggage.

Plus with the average weight for an adult man i tihnk 70kg, adult woman blahblahblahblah + all the things on board, the seat the meals blahblah.

They weigh the plane this way and find the most economical takeoff settings

CORRECt me if im wrong.

Edited by Walter Sim

Hmm.. I never knew that MAS used to allow 30kg. Usually I only get 20kg and it says so on the ticket. But when checking in, they were usually lenient and don't make a fuss unless it is more than 30kg. I guess the only change now is that they impose the rule strictly. Only once I got 30kg, but it was a special "ethnic fare" for Malaysians travelling home to Malaysia.

Some airlines in Europe already have this policy in place. Maybe they will allow 22 or 23kg, but above that, you start paying! So I don't really know if you can call it unfair. From an airline's point of view, if it says 20kg on the ticket, then it would be unfair for passengers to expect to carry an extra 9kg for free.

US flights used to allow 2 pieces per passenger. Now it is still 2 pieces, but each piece cannot weigh more than 32kg. Not sure why, but I think it has something to do with protecting the health of their baggage handlers.

but it was a special "ethnic fare" for Malaysians travelling home to Malaysia.

Wah, I don't know they have that kind of special treat. That is a great way to appreaciate customers :D

Sign in to follow this