MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
alberttky

Penang Airport Upgrading Project

1. PEN airport can accept MLDW (max landing weight) even for B747

2. Any aircraft can land on it's MTOW (max takeoff weight) in emergency. It is called overweight landing and a special inspection is required. It is always preferable if the crew could jettison or dump the fuel first to max landing weight

3. Based on 3300m runway, PEN can accept MTOW provided temperature is low.

I am very happy that the airport has been upgraded, looks very spacious. I just hope they retain the carpet flooring in waiting lounge because I feel very comfortable walking on it(they keep it, aren't they?).

I just landed in PEN yesterday! The airport itself looks fantastic! My flight was on AK so I got to access the newer end of the terminal whereas MH using the aerobridge had to use the older part. It's clean and efficient and very modern! Will post some pics soon!

I am very happy that the airport has been upgraded, looks very spacious. I just hope they retain the carpet flooring in waiting lounge because I feel very comfortable walking on it(they keep it, aren't they?).

I sure do hope so. It gives out that kind of warm and cozy feeling that Changi has.

more pic

IMG-20111224-00061.jpg

Departure Area

Still under construction

The above roof is still leaking when it rains so water will be dripping down on the smoking area along the pillars.....dunno if this has been fixed

Glidepath to replace Penang airport’s baggage-handling system

24 November 2011

Print Email

Malaysia's Penang International Airport has selected airport baggage handling and security systems provider Glidepath to expand its checked bag security facility.

The project involves replacing the 15-year-old check-in conveyor system with a 100% fail-safe inline baggage security screening system.

"Glidepath is proud to continue the bilateral cooperation between the Malaysian and New Zealand governments, its companies and its people involved in the upgrade of Malaysia's airport systems, and in particular Penang International Airport, which is a repeat project for Glidepath," says Glidepath Group chairman and founder Sir Ken Stevens.

The company will provide a complete suite of baggage management software that offers equipment control and enables bag tracking, allocation, sortation and reconciliation.

The suite includes GlideControl software, which has a range of functionality, from intelligent power saving to 100% bag-tracking accuracy.

GlideView will also offer maintenance and diagnostic tools, web-based reports, an extension to mobile PDAs and integration into other airport systems.

The project is to be completed by 1 July 2012.

Penang International Airport is located in the Bayan Lepas area of Penang, and is the main airport for the northern region of the country, serving approximately 4.16 million passengers.

Why cant BKI and KCH have this system? Why must we check our luggage before we check-in? So old fashion!

Is there anymore checks for this kind of system after the luggage's been checked in? Because one can easily slip in prohibited items between the scanning machine and check-in. I guess one can easily do that in busy airports like Penang, nobody's watching.

Is there anymore checks for this kind of system after the luggage's been checked in? Because one can easily slip in prohibited items between the scanning machine and check-in. I guess one can easily do that in busy airports like Penang, nobody's watching.

Primitive as it sounds...the security would stick an ugly sticker around the zipper, it it was tempered with, they expect the check-in agent would know...very silly don't you think?

Edited by Kenneth Chong WT

Primitive as it sounds...the security would stick an ugly sticker around the zipper, it it was tempered with, they expect the check-in agent would know...very silly don't you think?

Well one can carefully remove the sticker and then replace it so it doesn't look like it's been tampered with. But then the sticker is so fragile, I reckon there isn't any difference between damage due to handling and being tampered with?

Judging by the attitude of check in agents I encountered at airports with this kind of system, I don't think they actually care about the stickers :pardon:

Guan Eng flays MOT over ‘shameful’ Penang airport

By Shannon Teoh

March 12, 2012

KUALA LUMPUR, March 12 — Penang blamed the federal government today for the “state of severe distress” at the Bayan Lepas airport which has been flooded by up to an inch of water for the past few weeks.

Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng wrote to Datuk Seri Kong Cho Ha today over defective work for the RM250 million airport expansion project, which he said is already behind schedule.

“The works being carried out are defective, resulting in not only leakages but also flooding. I am sure YB Minister will agree that it is an extreme embarrassment to the country to have one inch of water floating inside the terminal of an international airport,” he wrote.

The DAP secretary general called on the transport minister to rectify the situation which “is extremely serious and reveals a systemic failure in the whole project.

“It is therefore imperative that YB Minister take immediate action on this matter, and if possible to visit and see for yourself the sad and shameful state of affairs at the Penang International Airport,” Lim said.

The state government had also proposed on Friday a joint task force with the Penang Freight Forwarders Association (PFFA) to help resolve problems faced by cargo handlers at the seaport and the airport in the state.

Lim had said the task force could convey relevant problems and issues to the transport ministry since both ports fall under the purview of the federal authorities.

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/guan-eng-flays-mot-over-shameful-penang-airport/

I know that Malaysia is now behind Thailand and trying to catch up.

But there is no need to emulate their flooded airport lah! :rofl:

I know that Malaysia is now behind Thailand and trying to catch up. But there is no need to emulate their flooded airport lah! :rofl:

For all we know, they could have been trying to emulate Sendai airport instead and failed miserably :p

With all the expensively assembled gaggle of consultants made mandatory nowadays for all these 'projeks' - these embarassing episodes are getting more frequent somewhat. Always wondered if it's a case of too many cooks spoiling the broth :)

As a foreigner, something that intrigues me is that we arrive at the now very impressive modern Penang terminal but are forced to use a very run-down, old, dirty and often unsafe fleet of taxis. VERY third-world and probably one of the worst fleets I have seen in SE Asia. On my last arrival I walked up the line of taxis dismissing the first five in the line with bald tires, run down poorly maintained appearance, and dirty untidy looking drivers. The taxi I eventually was forced to use was not so impressive, and the driver was a maniac on the road and became argumentative when I asked him to slow down. Of course as a passenger we don't have much leverage as we have already paid.

I look forward to the day when the standard of airport taxis in Penang match that of the new terminal. Until then, it remains very third-world.