MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

AirAsia 10th Anniversary & Tony Fernandes to Resign 'Soon'

AirAsia is 10 and there is a 10 sen sale going on now.

An Uncle TF is tweeting sentimental:

About this time 10 years ago we signed to buy airasia from drb hicom. 2 planes , 254 staff and 4 routes. Thank you drb hicom and malaysia for giving us the chance. And thank you asean.

To my staff. All 9000 of them you have been incredble. Through sars bird flu tsunamis earthquakes oil price credit crisis you have been unbelievable and just always found a way. You are awesome and thank you very much.

To our guests. We are far from perfect and always looking to improve. Thank you to the 140 milion people who have flown with us. We will get better. We relook at certain charges we keep fighting for better internet system.

ive been waiting for almost 30 minutes to be directed to the booking page...seems that now they have designed a virtual "waiting room" where you have to que up to make your booking....they really think people will put up with all these hastle just to get a so-called "cheap fare"??...they are becoming more non-sensical each and everyday

Tony Fernandes May Leave AirAsia, No Timeline Set

SEPANG, Dec 8 (Bernama) -- AirAsia chief executive officer, Tan Sri Tony Fernandes, today hinted that he may leave as the supremo of the budget airline.

Without giving the exact timeline, he said, the company can expect a new leadership soon.

Fernandes, the brain behind the frills-free carriers' meteoric rise, dropped the hint at the airline's 10th anniversary celebrations today.

When asked on where will be AirAsia in the next 10 years, he said: "Next 10 years will be a new ceo, my time is coming to an end soon.

"Yes, all three of us (chairman Datuk Aziz Bakar and deputy chief executive Officer Datuk Kamaruddin Meranun) will have to go together.

Fernandes said leadership was all about change and about bringing new people on board.

"Yes. We are coming to a point where there will be a leadership change. It's inevitable. A good leadership is to know when to go and to refresh the organisation with young and energetic leaders," he said.

Asked what he intends to do after leaving AirAsia, Fernandes joked, saying "I plan to open a low-cost television."

On a serious note, he said: "No. The three of us have plenty of things to do."

Fernandes, however, said he has not identified a potential successor, but hinted that it would be an internal change.

He said the new leadership will have to keep up with the airline's aspirations such as keeping the airfares low and to explore most of the Asian region.

"AirAsia also hopes to grow from 100 planes to 300 planes and we think we would like to cover the most of Asia.

"We already have AirAsia Japan now, who knows maybe AirAsia India or AirAsia China (in future)," he added.

Tony Fernandes May Leave AirAsia, No Timeline Set

SEPANG, Dec 8 (Bernama) -- AirAsia chief executive officer, Tan Sri Tony Fernandes, today hinted that he may leave as the supremo of the budget airline.

Without giving the exact timeline, he said, the company can expect a new leadership soon.

Fernandes, the brain behind the frills-free carriers' meteoric rise, dropped the hint at the airline's 10th anniversary celebrations today.

When asked on where will be AirAsia in the next 10 years, he said: "Next 10 years will be a new ceo, my time is coming to an end soon.

"Yes, all three of us (chairman Datuk Aziz Bakar and deputy chief executive Officer Datuk Kamaruddin Meranun) will have to go together.

Fernandes said leadership was all about change and about bringing new people on board.

"Yes. We are coming to a point where there will be a leadership change. It's inevitable. A good leadership is to know when to go and to refresh the organisation with young and energetic leaders," he said.

Asked what he intends to do after leaving AirAsia, Fernandes joked, saying "I plan to open a low-cost television."

On a serious note, he said: "No. The three of us have plenty of things to do."

Fernandes, however, said he has not identified a potential successor, but hinted that it would be an internal change.

He said the new leadership will have to keep up with the airline's aspirations such as keeping the airfares low and to explore most of the Asian region.

"AirAsia also hopes to grow from 100 planes to 300 planes and we think we would like to cover the most of Asia.

"We already have AirAsia Japan now, who knows maybe AirAsia India or AirAsia China (in future)," he added.

A typical PR stunt. :clapping:

Fernandes says to exit as AirAsia boss ‘soon’

UPDATED @ 06:21:13 PM 08-12-2011 By Yow Hong Chieh December 08, 2011

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/fernandes-says-to-exit-as-airasia-boss-soon/

SEPANG, Dec 8 — AirAsia boss Tan Sri Tony Fernandes said today he may step down as chief of Asia’s largest budget carrier soon.

According to Bernama, he dropped the hint at AirAsia’s 10th anniversary bash here today but did not provide an exact timeline.

“Next 10 years (there) will be a new CEO. My time is coming to an end soon,” he told reporters when asked where the airline will be in 10 years.

“Yes, all three of us (chairman Datuk Aziz Bakar and deputy chief executive officer Datuk Kamaruddin Meranun) will have to go together.”

The trio bought AirAsia a decade ago from DRB-Hicom for a token sum of RM1 and its liabilities when it was just a two-plane operation.

Fernandes explained that leadership was about bringing new people onboard and that AirAsia was coming to a point where there would be an “inevitable” change in leadership.

“Good leadership is to know when to go and to refresh the organisation with young and energetic leaders,” he said.

The airline’s new bosses will have to keep to its aspirations to keep fares low and explore most of the Asian region, he stressed.

Fernandes said he has yet to identify a potential successor but hinted it would be an internal change.

Malaysian sovereign wealth fund Khazanah Nasional Berhad owns 10 per cent of AirAsia after a share swap with Fernandes’ company Tune Air Sdn Bhd, which now holds 20.5 per cent of flag carrier Malaysia Airlines (MAS). Both Fernandes and Kamaruddin are also non-executive directors in MAS.

Loss-making MAS is now going through another turnaround plan with new management despite two earlier turnaround plans.

The new plan includes setting up a super premium regional airline which will not compete with AirAsia. The low-cost carrier also has operations in Thailand, Indonesia and soon in the Philippines and Japan.

Fernandes has used his fortune made from AirAsia’s success to venture into owning a Formula One racing team named Caterham F1 Team and the Queens Park Rangers football team playing in the English Premier League. He is also said to be looking to launch Caterham Jet, a premium business jet service, next year.

The man himself has spoken:

@tonyfernandes Not resigning from airasia . All I said is next 10 years we must prepare for new leadership and my time is coming up soon. First a ceo for malaysia and I focus on group functions as group ceo. Good leadership is to prepare for succession. Not going anytime soon though.
Edited by S M Tang

Tony Fernandes refutes quit report

KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 8 — Tan Sri Tony Fernandes has denied he will resign as AirAsia boss soon, pointing out that he had only told reporters the airline must prepare for new leadership.

“Not resigning from AirAsia. All I said is next 10 years we must prepare for new leadership and my time is coming up soon,” he said on micro-blogging site Twitter at around 7.40pm.

“First a CEO for Malaysia and I focus on group functions as group CEO. Good leadership is to prepare for succession. Not going anytime soon though.”

Bernama reported earlier today Fernandes (picture) had hinted he would soon step down as the head of Asia’s biggest budget carrier at AirAsia’s 10th anniversary bash in Sepang.

“Next 10 years (there) will be a new CEO. My time is coming to an end soon,” the state news agency had quoted him as saying when asked where the airline will be in 10 years.

“Yes, all three of us (chairman Datuk Aziz Bakar and deputy chief executive officer Datuk Kamaruddin Meranun) will have to go together.”

Bernama later issued an urgent notice to editors that it was retracting the story at AirAsia’s request, adding that there would be no replacement story.

Malaysian state investment arm Khazanah Nasional Bhd owns 10 per cent of AirAsia after a share swap with Fernandes’ company, Tune Air Sdn Bhd, which now holds 20.5 per cent of Malaysia Airlines (MAS).

Both Fernandes and Kamaruddin are also non-executive directors in the ailing flag carrier.

Loss-making MAS is now going through another turnaround plan with new management despite two earlier turnaround plans.

The new plan includes setting up a super premium regional airline which will not compete with AirAsia. The low-cost carrier also has operations in Thailand, Indonesia and soon in the Philippines and Japan.

Fernandes has used his fortune made from AirAsia’s success to venture into owning a Formula One racing team Caterham F1 Team and the Queens Park Rangers football club playing in the English Premier League.

He is also said to be looking to launch Caterham Jet, a premium business jet service, next year.

Source

Well having read both the original and revised reports, I think it is more a case of incorrect interpreting the reports. People are just very quick at jumping into conclusions.

i gave up!....a headache way before my actual holiday is the last thing that i need in my holiday planner....good luck for others who are more patient to wait,,,

waited for 10 mins, and finally was able to check KUL-SGN-KUL: it came out to EUR 339 for the 2 of us, excl. the baggage-fee: NO THANKS... :finger:

waited for 10 mins, and finally was able to check KUL-SGN-KUL: it came out to EUR 339 for the 2 of us, excl. the baggage-fee: NO THANKS... :finger:

Wow, when was the travelling date?

this airline keeps on giving BS in doing their business...stay away...

Tale spinning to arouse attentions..that's the specialty of the press. Otherwise, who would read news anymore.

Easily misinterpreted since TF's rumors of him resigning is already quite some time. And some times perhaps TF's twitting habits have gone into his verbal speech. Short, concise, and easily misinterpreted.

Originally Posted by rgen View Post

I have no intention to disrespect Dato' Tony Fernandez in whatsoever way and I believe he is a great businessman with great vision.

However, I received this forwarded email today and i think it is really funny.....

"Spare a thought for Uncle Tony F, Chief Executive of 'Air Asia"......

Arriving in a hotel in KL Sentral he went to the bar and asked for a pint of

draught Guinness. The barman nodded and said, "That will be one Ringgit

please, Uncle Tony."

Somewhat taken aback, Uncle Tony replied, "That's very cheap," and handed over

his money.

"Well, we try to stay ahead of the competition", said the

barman. "And we are serving free pints every Wednesday evening

from 6 until 8. We have the cheapest draught in Asia"

"That is remarkable value" Uncle Tony comments

"I see you don't seem to have a glass, so you'll probably need one of ours.

That will be 3 Ringgit please."

Uncle Tony scowled, but paid up. He took his drink and walked towards a seat.

"Ah, you want to sit down?" said the barman. "That'll be an extra 2 Ringgit

You could have pre-book the seat, and it would have only cost you a Ringgit"

"I think you may to be too big for the seat sir, can I ask you to sit in this

frame please"

Uncle Tony attempts to sit down but the frame is too small and when he can't squeeze in

he complains "Nobody would fit in that little frame".

"I'm afraid if you can't fit in the frame you'll have to pay an extra surcharge of RM 4

for your seat sir"

Tony swore to himself, but paid up. "I see that you have brought your

laptop with you" added the barman. "And since that wasn't pre-booked

either, that will be another 3 Ringgit"

Uncle Tony was so annoyed that he walked back to the bar, slammed his drink on

the counter, and yelled, "This is ridiculous, I want to speak to the

manager".

"Ah, I see you want to use the counter," says the barman, "that will

be 2 Ringgit please." Uncle's face was red with rage.

"Do you know who I am?"

"Of course I do Mr Fernandes

"I've had enough, What sort of Hotel is this? I come in for a quiet drink

and you treat me like this. I insist on speaking to a manager!"

"Here is his E mail address, or if you wish, you can contact him between 9 and 9.10

every morning, Monday to Tuesday at this free phone number. Calls are free,

until they are answered, then there is a talking charge of only 10 sen per second provided you use Tune Talk using other mobile carriers would incur our normal charges of 30 Sen per second

"I will never use this bar again"

"OK Uncle , but remember, we are the only bar in Asia selling pints for one Ringgit...so that Now everyone can drink "

:yahoo:

MAS had a turnaround plan 10 years ago. Today it is still trying to turnaround.

AirAsia also had a turnaround plan 10 years ago. Today, it is making money despite tough economic conditions.

Conclusion: MAS turnarounds are cosmetic only, no real substance. AirAsia's turnaround was built on a solid foundation and it is going from strength to strength.

Sign in to follow this