MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
michgyver

AirAsia’s Fernandes Caterham Jet Acquired Berjaya Air

Just a wayang to start up turbo prop flights in Subang... FAX comes to mind.

Hmmm,I'm thinking the same thing too.

If AK wanted to start turbo prop operation from SZB they could have done so when FY started. They might still be looking at jet operation which is "banned" at the moment.

If AK wanted to start turbo prop operation from SZB they could have done so when FY started. They might still be looking at jet operation which is "banned" at the moment.

I am not so sure - Lion Air felt that the best way to challenge Airasia in Indonesia is to keep Airasia Malaysia busy using Malindo Air. So TF may be using the same philosophy - compete with Malindo Air on the turboprop market so that it does not have it so easy out of SZB. Firefly is making money on its turboprop ops as their fares are high - perhaps AK wants to ensure that Malindo's profit margins are not too high so that it can subsidise the KLIA jet ops.

Berjaya Air to undergo makeover
KUALA LUMPUR: A network review and the appointment of Datuk Eddy Leong as CEO of Berjaya Air Sdn Bhd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Berjaya Land Bhd suggest that a makeover is underway for the airline.
Sources said Berjaya Air is going through a business review, which includes the suspension of flights to Langkawi, Pangkor, Penang and Hua Hin, as well as the acquisition of a Bombardier jet.
“Berjaya Air has already started talks with Bombardier,” said a source.
The changes come hot on the heels of talk that AirAsia Bhd’s Tan Sri Tony Fernandes and his partner Datuk Kamarudin Meranun will emerge as shareholders through their vehicle, Caterham Jet.
It has been speculated that Caterham Jet, which is controlled by Fernandes and Kamarudin, is looking at acquiring 49% of Berjaya Air while 51% remains with Berjaya Land.
Fernandes and Kamarudin did not reply to queries. However, sources close to Berjaya Group said it is likely for the airline to continue to be wholly owned by Berjaya Land.
The fact that Leong stepped down as CEO of Khazanah Nasional Bhd’s Destination Hotel and Resorts Sdn Bhd to join Berjaya Air as CEO, signals that operational changes are underway for the airline.
Leong joined Berjaya Group in September and was seconded to Berjaya Air as CEO at the end of October to oversee the business review. He is no stranger to the airline business given his experience as former managing director of Firefly, the turboprop unit of Malaysian Airline System Bhd.
Berjaya Air officials did not comment on the shareholding changes. According to sources, the company is reviewing its network starting from next week due to operational reasons.
Market watchers are of the view that the review is to pave the way for the offering of premium jet services by the airline but this was not confirmed by the officials.
Caterham Jet had previously failed to get a Malaysian air operator certificate (AOC) that would allow it to run a commercial jet operation from Subang Skypark.
In 2011, Fernandes said that he was launching a new premium airline called Caterham Jet to compete with the Emirates, Cathay Pacific, Thai Airways and Singapore Airlines and aimed at high-flying executives in Asia.
If Caterham Jet gets a substantial stake in Berjaya Air, which operates both scheduled and chartered flights, it will allow the super-premium carrier to start operations without applying for an AOC.
Caterham Jet’s premium jet services involve comprehensive business aviation services that will appeal to professionals who want a quicker exit via Subang Skypark instead of the Kuala Lumpur International Airport.
Berjaya Air, Firefly and Malindo Air operate from Subang Skypark. Currently, Berjaya Air operates two ATR72-500 and three Dash 7 aircraft. Sources said it is likely for the airline to expand its fleet to incorporate Bombardier CRJ jets with higher seat configurations in its bid to target the business and first-class travel segments.
Berjaya Land’s share price, which hovered around 92 sen in October, closed lower yesterday at 82 sen.
This article first appeared in The Edge Financial Daily, on November 27, 2013.

The Star is also speculating: http://www.thestar.com.my/Business/Business-News/2013/11/27/Berjaya-Air-may-go-it-alone.aspx

French government confers Tony Fernandes with country’s top award – Bernama

NOVEMBER 27, 2013

The French government has conferred AirAsia Group Chief Executive Officer Tan Sri Tony Fernandes (pic, left) with the Commander of the Legion d' Honneur award for his outstanding contribution towards France's aviation industry.

The Legion d' Honneur award, established by Napoleon Bonaparte in 1802, recognises outstanding service of individuals to France, and the Commander of the Legion d' Honneur is the highest rank of honour that the French government can award to a non-French citizen.

"It is truly an honour to be conferred the Commander of the Legion d' Honneur and I am humbled with the recognition given by the government of France.

"As the Group Chief Executive Officer of AirAsia, I am proud that we have positively contributed both directly and indirectly towards many peoples' lives," he said in a statement, adding that it was a great motivation for him to continue steering the group to greater heights. – Bernama, November 27, 2013.

Aha.

See my post in this topic #75.

And my remark, "Or, conspiracy mode on, Berjaya Air need some help?"

On the other hand, i wish to congratulate TSTF with the accolades the French government has given him.

Well deserved.

Cheers

A.

The training for its CRJ pilots is ongoing.. And from the number of them,we can expect rapid growth from Caterham jet company.. They even train some of the current Berjaya's ATR pilot to be absorb into jet operations soon

Edited by Syukri

I think Berjaya Air will morph into Caterham jet or something as the latter couldn't get an AoC.

And it is not really a premium private jet service like a G-V service, go-as-you-please Netjets service. Premium here means not low cost, not "just 5 pax in a jet-plane". And I think there will be lots of seats and a fixed schedule.

http://www.jetcraft.com/blog/2013/09/05/bombardier-crj-200lr-7864/ - was this aircraft not intended to be the first "Caterham Jet"

Was comparing VP-CPP (the so called 'Caterham Jet') with the aircraft in the website and they both have different MSN. VP-CPP is MSN 7625 while the one for sale is MSN 7864. But I don't think there's another CRJ2 in the same livery anywhere else...

Edited by S M Tang

Heard through the grapevine that TF has pulled out from Berjaya...

Challenger is not CRJ.

Challenger 850, 870 and 890 are all factory conversions of the CRJ-200, 700 and 900 respectively, but you are correct, the article is not referring to a Caterham order.