MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Tony

Virgin Blue is Now Virgin Australia

Both Pacific Blue & V Australia will be under Virgin Australia by years end, SQ gave them their blessings to use the Virgin brand outside of Australia. Polynesian Blue will stay the same, rumoured to become Virgin Samoa or Virgin Polynesia.

Love the new name but love V Australia's livery better.

Yeah. V Australia's livery is miles better. Of all the Virgin's livery, i think this Virgin Atlantic's livery is the best (below). A combination of red, blue and silver. The union jack winglet logo is very nice too.

1912281.jpg

I agree, not sure about the massive Virgin word at tail. Overall livery seems out of whack :facepalm: They should have followed VS livery, slick and classy.

But then, the new VS livery is not exactly very good. The body is painted mostly in white. In the old livery, it was mainly silver i believe :good:

Virgin come with really interesting and striking TV ads

+1 :drinks:

Edited by Isaac

Both Pacific Blue & V Australia will be under Virgin Australia by years end, SQ gave them their blessings to use the Virgin brand outside of Australia. Polynesian Blue will stay the same, rumoured to become Virgin Samoa or Virgin Polynesia.

They may but for the record, Polynesian Blue is only comprised of one single B738 only, which is ZK-PBF, if memory serves me right. They even have to borrow some of Pacific Blue's plane to service the Pacific Islands. Tony Chow can shed some lights perhaps!

Yeah. V Australia's livery is miles better. Of all the Virgin's livery, i think this Virgin Atlantic's livery is the best (below). A combination of red, blue and silver. The union jack winglet logo is very nice too.

Love VS' new livery too, in white. Hopefully I will get to fly Virgin Atlantic from SYD to HKG or HKG to LHR soon and on their A346!

Edited by S V Choong

Not likely - Virgin Australia is only for domestic branding. Check out Will H's article here: http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2011/05/03/356217/picture-virgin-australia-new-name-for-virgin-blue.html

Don't know how accurate this news is. Local Australian news (The Age) reported the following.

"The airline has also successfully negotiated the renaming of its longhaul off-shoots V Australia and Pacific Blue, with both to be rebranded Virgin Australia."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/business/branson-gives-virgin-a-new-name-20110503-1e6h5.html#ixzz1LNMtrNcp

This means Pacific Blue, V Australia and Virgin Blue will all get the Virgin Australia branding. Currently Pacific Blue is NOT serving domestic NZ flights anymore after a join venture/ code share came to existence with Air NZ. Pacific Blue is now flying strictly trans-Tasman international routes only between Australia and New Zealand. V Australia is a funny one as it has code share in place with Etihad Airways and don't know what they are going to do with their B777-300ERs in the future, after a lot of their international routes have ceased to exist (Nadi, Fiji and Phuket, Thailand and Johannesburg, South Africa comes to mind).

I was on a Virgin Blue flight during early February and read the in-flight magazine that the new A330-200s (ex-Emirates birds) will be used on the SYD-PER route.

Edited by S V Choong

Virgin Australia's 2 A330-200s will primarily serve the SYD-PER route. When they get the additional 2 next year, the widebody service will be expanded to include MEL-PER and BNE-PER.

I'm curious as to what the airline code will be? Will it remain as DJ or will it change to VA? It really should become VA (for Virgin Australia).

I agree that the new Virgin livery makes the new MH look really good by comparison!

Hopefully I will get to fly Virgin Atlantic from SYD to HKG or HKG to LHR soon and on their A346!

Do it soon and write us a trip report :p

why don't they just keep V Australia livery? It looks much better than this.

I second this !

Do it soon and write us a trip report :p

Will see how it goes... might need to head off to Hong Kong next month... still waiting for news!

If the price is right, I will certainly fly Virgin Atlantic from SYD to HKG! If not, will have to wait until next year when I visit my bro in the UK! Are they able to accumulate SQ Krisflyer points, I wonder!?

Will see how it goes... might need to head off to Hong Kong next month... still waiting for news!

Good luck bro !!! :drinks:

If the price is right, I will certainly fly Virgin Atlantic from SYD to HKG! If not, will have to wait until next year when I visit my bro in the UK! Are they able to accumulate SQ Krisflyer points, I wonder!?

Yes. You can. Not sure if it's applicable to deeply discounted EY ticket though.

KRISFLYER

Am surprised that you guys are comparing a low cost airline's livery to that of a 5 star airline and saying that MH one looks a little better.

For those looking for a bargain, the A330s will operate the last Sat service exSYD to MEL, just book the Premium Economy fare and you might just be lucky to try out the

Business Class seats! So VA will have a single weekly SYD-MEL service using the A332s.

Am surprised that you guys are comparing a low cost airline's livery to that of a 5 star airline and saying that MH one looks a little better.

A livery is a livery, no matter what type of airline.

For the record...not all DJ's fare qualify under "low-cost" you know...Hahaha! And, on some days, MH do have "low-cost" fare too! Hahaha!

After a while, the line separating "low-cost" and "full fledge" just gets thinner...Low cost airline offering 5 star experience and 5 star carrier offering low cost option...it's a mad world out there! HAHAHA!

Virgin Blue may have started as an LCC but they have since evolved from that to something they called "New World Carrier".

As noted on Wikipedia:

"After several years operating as a low-cost carrier it improved its services to become a so-called (self-described) "new world carrier" - essentially a business model with aspects of the "no frills" approach of low-cost carriers but offering services more in line with full-service airlines[3] - in order to compete more effectively with Qantas in the business travel market."

As noted by Kenneth Chong, VB's airfare is a lot more expensive when it comes to comparison with Tiger Airways and Jetstar in the local Australian market. VB's fare is closer to QF's fare level.

Edited by S V Choong

Virgin Blue may have started as an LCC but they have since evolved from that to something they called "New World Carrier".

As noted on Wikipedia:

"After several years operating as a low-cost carrier it improved its services to become a so-called (self-described) "new world carrier" - essentially a business model with aspects of the "no frills" approach of low-cost carriers but offering services more in line with full-service airlines[3] - in order to compete more effectively with Qantas in the business travel market."

As noted by Kenneth Chong, VB's airfare is a lot more expensive when it comes to comparison with Tiger Airways and Jetstar in the local Australian market. VB's fare is closer to QF's fare level.

is FY also using the new world carrier business model??

Sign in to follow this