MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sri Ramani K.

MH A/C Skidded Upon Landing?

Yesterday around 11.30PM or so Runway 32L/14R was closed up till about 3-4AM. Many aircrafts were delayed and were asked to hold at many different areas. Landing was on 14L and takeoff was from 32R A9 due to work still in progress at A10 & A11. Hon Kit alerted me when 14 was in use and watching the radar was simply mind boggling, 14L landing, 32R take off!

I heard it was a MH aircraft that skidded which resulted in a tyre burst? Anyone with any genuine info?

Here's a picture showing AK722 holding while waiting for 9M-MPP to take off via 32R.

hold.jpg

is this related?

MAS plane landed without full set of wheels

Posted by: ALVINTS

I was in flight MH781 from Bangkok to KL on 30th March 2011. Just before liftoff, the tyre beneath the right wing burst. The whole plane could hear and feel the loud noise and strong vibration from steel wheel rolling on the runway without any rubber. Nobody knew how serious it was until we got off the plane. Shocking to see wheels without tyres. We landed safely thanks to the very skilled pilot. It appears that we have touched down using wheels on one left side of the wing. My compliments to the captain. Anyway, everybody applauded when we managed to come to a complete halt without any mishap.

What happens after that was the torturous part. We touched down at about 10.45pm and the plane stopped at the runway and was not able to get to the airport building. We were left in the plane for nearly 2 hours. It was only at 12.25am that 2 buses came to fetch the passengers. So my complaints are these:

1. Why is MAS using such old planes which are not safe anymore? I know its old because my table can't even be stowed away properly. Had the tyre burst on touchdown, we would have a major acccident already as the plane would have been out of control. It could also have caught fire if we touch down at that kind of speed from the friction between steel and the runway tarmac.

2. KLIA handled the situation so badly that it's embarassing to be a Malaysian. Why can't the passengers be let off? The pilot mentioned that there were no buses available. What was that all about? We also didn't see any fire engine or any emergency team on standby. Also, after all these and we got to the terminal building, we still had to wait for our luggages. What were they doing in those 2 hours when we were sitting there in the plane? We don't know how ill prepared we are in handling emergencies until one actually happens.

I hope KLIA can seriously buck up and MAS, please change those old planes and do compensate passengers for the inconvenience and extra taxi charges incurred

Source

Thank you very much Delwin for digging for the source. Pretty much answers my query! The airspace above KUL was just so chaotic yesterday night and it kept so many aircrafts delayed.

@Gavin, yes it was from flightradar. :drinks:

Yesterday around 11.30PM or so Runway 32L/14R was closed up till about 3-4AM. Many aircrafts were delayed and were asked to hold at many different areas. Landing was on 14L and takeoff was from 32R A9 due to work still in progress at A10 & A11. Hon Kit alerted me when 14 was in use and watching the radar was simply mind boggling, 14L landing, 32R take off!

I heard it was a MH aircraft that skidded which resulted in a tyre burst? Anyone with any genuine info?

Here's a picture showing AK722 holding while waiting for 9M-MPP to take off via 32R.

hold.jpg

No wonder,I also wondering why the KLIA suddenly changing the runway to 14L, but in the same time the 32R was using for take off. Usually they very seldom to use 14 except of wind directions change or something happening with the runway. Yes, yesterday the KUL airspace was terrible confusion all the arrival aircraft are keep holding 360 in the low altitude, pity with these AK flights

9M-MPP is 744.

MPP wasn't involved in the incident. Something wasn't right and at the time of posting this thread, I knew nothing. I just wrote whatever I recalled from the night before. High chances that the bird involved is a 737. :drinks:

The possibility that the airplane involved was a rather well-used B737-400 isn't a problem.

Bursting a tyre or more isn't a problem - this happens in many circumstances, even with rather new airplanes.

What is troubling is the author's observation that there were no fire engines or other emergency vehicles in attendance.

What is impossible to imagine is the fact that passengers remain in the aircraft for two hours as no buses were available.

And what is equally laughable is that after all this time sitting in the plane, they still had to wait for their baggage. But then again, the probably did not have the equipment or manpower to send to the aircraft on the runway to offload the bags. Or perhaps they could not find the passenger steps for this flight.

I remember sometime in the past when I landed in Subang Airport on a Malaysia Airlines B744 flight from London (codeshared with Virgin Atlantic). We taxied to one gate and then stopped short of turning into that gate. After about 20 minutes, the captain announced that there has been a last-minute change of gate. We then taxied to another gate ... and waited for about 10-15 mins only to be told that the staff have gone to the wrong gate, along with all the supporting ground services vehicles and equipment. And we finally taxied to a remote stand where there were some freighter aircraft (include JAL's B747F with the registration on the tail). And I happened to sit near a group of Brits who were complaining loudly in exasperation ... noticed them because at the gate in London, they were shocked to discover that they were flying with Malaysia Airlines and not Virgin Atlantic. A staff explained that this was a codeshared flight operated by MH to which one lady shouted: I expected to fly with Virgin Atlantic. If I had wanted to fly with Malaysia Airlines, I would have booked on Malaysia Airlines. But bet you, they did not complain about the rather delicious and hearty dinner served (at that time, the food served was more delicious and certainly more generous in portion size - compared to my experiene late-2010 on the KUL-LHR sector).

The latest incident is certainly one for MH and KLIA to ponder over and perhaps improve.

KC Sim

Aircraft flying around the time of landing (10.45pm) suggests it was either 9M-MQF or 9M-MMU (neither of which are transmitting their callsign).

Another web-site for tracking is Atlas - Flight Global - better tracks but data delayed by 5 minutes.

BSRep30thMar.jpg

Wasn't there a somewhat similar incident in 1981 involving an MH F27 at SZB?

You can type this title in youtube to see the video

(MAS plane - Bangkok to KLIA Tyre Burst during departure and landing)

Edited by Nizam

This is really bad service on the part of MAHB. If the plane burst its tyre on departure from BKK, the pilot would have been able to notify the KUL authorities. While the flight is en route, preparations could have been made for its arrival. It would appear that KLIA was not at all prepared for this emergency.

This is really bad service on the part of MAHB. If the plane burst its tyre on departure from BKK, the pilot would have been able to notify the KUL authorities. While the flight is en route, preparations could have been made for its arrival. It would appear that KLIA was not at all prepared for this emergency.

I agree with your opinion, I also got no idea how the KLIA can entitled as World best airport of the year on past 2 years.

Wasn't there a somewhat similar incident in 1981 involving an MH F27 at SZB?

The F27 mishap was when one of the Main Landing Gear on the aircraft failed to lock down. The pilot did a perfect landing and held the aircraft with the 2 remaining landing gears as long as he could. When he finally let the unlocked MLG touch the deck, the landing gear collapsed and the aircraft gently veered onto the grass. All passengers wre unhurt and the damage to the aircraft was minimal.

I think the cause of the accident is there a sharp thing on the runway.Maybe.

MAS Pilots are very well trained, mind you events like this cant be duplicated in the simulator, it takes great skill to safety land the plane with inflated tires on one side of the landing gear. Well done to the MH crew.

A comment from Youtube

Plenty of keyboard professors these days :)

Great job from the guys in the front !

These things happen , and it could have been much worse , than just two blown tires !

But what interests me is , how did they know they had blown two tyres , or blown any tires for that matter !

Hit something on the take off roll probably ? Reminds me of the Concorde incident

And I must say , it is extremely disappointing that they had to sit in the aircraft for so long before they were allowed to disembark , this is considering that they already knew that this aircraft had a problem just after take off.

I noticed the person who posted the video saying that it was hot in the aircraft because there was no a/c , I think for the most part , it was not the A/C , but things were just so ' tense ' in there , because from the outside you can hear the APU is running

The F27 mishap was when one of the Main Landing Gear on the aircraft failed to lock down. The pilot did a perfect landing and held the aircraft with the 2 remaining landing gears as long as he could. When he finally let the unlocked MLG touch the deck, the landing gear collapsed and the aircraft gently veered onto the grass. All passengers wre unhurt and the damage to the aircraft was minimal.

Thanks for that/ :)

Edited by H Azmal

Plenty of keyboard professors these days :)

Great job from the guys in the front !

These things happen , and it could have been much worse , than just two blown tires !

But what interests me is , how did they know they had blown two tyres , or blown any tires for that matter !

Hit something on the take off roll probably ? Reminds me of the Concorde incident

And I must say , it is extremely disappointing that they had to sit in the aircraft for so long before they were allowed to disembark , this is considering that they already knew that this aircraft had a problem just after take off.

I noticed the person who posted the video saying that it was hot in the aircraft because there was no a/c , I think for the most part , it was not the A/C , but things were just so ' tense ' in there , because from the outside you can hear the APU is running

there are few primary and secondary damages to the aircraft. it's not just burst wheels.