MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Kee Hooi Yen

Garuda Indonesia

I am thinking to do SYD-KUL return with Garuda Indonesia via CGK. However, Garuda's reputation is not as good as other Asean airlines in Australia (eg SIA, MAS or THAI). My mates here ask me to 'think twice'.

I have a few questions :

1) Is Garuda that 'bad' ? I heard the airlines has improved a lot and even it starts flying to Europe now (the ban from flying to Europe has been lifted)

2) I believe they have quite a young fleet, right ? How about A332 flying to SYD and B738 to KUL ?

3) How is the service onboard ?

4) There is a 9.5 hours layover on the return leg at CGK. Is it advisable to do a quick tour to downtown Jakarta (i heard traffic in Jakarta is pretty bad, anyway we are arriving on Sunday). We are travelling with 2 young kids (6 & 8 years old). Is there any 'must see' in Jakarta ? I actually only want to tour around the city and take a look of the 'real life' of Jakarta, not really fancy about the shopping malls. Is it advisable / safe to do so ? How is the taxi service there ?

Edited by Kee Hooi Yen

Kids are the boss - so if you have a long journey, you have to think of ways to keep them occupied. Probably best to take flight of shorter duration e.g. on MH or on SQ's whale jet.

Indeed speaking of kids, i am thinking to give them a short 'educational tour' while transitting in Jakarta ... where some 'scenes' are not common in here... :)

Garuda's recent history is amazing to say the least. The airline with "the reputation" has now been put to bed, and virtually a new airline reborn.

The A332's and 73H's have a great in flight product

Glad to hear the good sides about Garuda....

Taking the kids for a short 'educational tour' while transitting in Jakarta is just an 'excuse', the main one is the dad wants to try different experience with different airlines .... :rolleyes:

ooh.. with a 9hrs plus layover, you better find some activities for the kids and yourself. The airport is absolutely boring and small.

A quick tour around Jkt may be good, provided you know where to go etc. There's not much scenic places around, and traffic is bad, any time , any day, thanks to the 20 plus millions of inhabitants.

Perhaps a visit to the Indonesia Underwater world.

Btw, If you have a weak stomach, its best to stay away from hawkers' food or even restaurant ones. Stay with known brand of foods and water. Only drink bottled or can drinks. Not from stalls.

Edited by Cire

Image and reputation could not be turned overnight ........ the aeroplane might be new, the livery might be new, the service onboard could be better as well .... However, what about the operation itself? The safety culture, the standard of the tech crew, the DGCA audit etc ........ I bet they are still the same crew, the same DGCA and probably have the same mind set as before ......

I know this is very complicated and subjective and no way we as a consumer could determine all that. I for one would like to leave it as it is at least for the next 5 years in order to have further review with regards to safety and standard of any Indonesian carriers ....... but then, this is just me ...... :rolleyes:

:hi:

Why don't try JetStar... for months I've been waiting for cheap MEL - KUL flight since MH cost 455 AUD and AK cost 329 AUD. JetStar, thought stopover in SIN, cost me 284 AUD with luggage checked in, meal, entertainment...

Why don't try JetStar... for months I've been waiting for cheap MEL - KUL flight since MH cost 455 AUD and AK cost 329 AUD. JetStar, thought stopover in SIN, cost me 284 AUD with luggage checked in, meal, entertainment...

Hope to try something new and yet price is :good:

Kee, maybe SYD-CGK by Garuda and how about KLM for CGK-KUL? KLM normally offered quite cheap price and equipment B773 or B772 somemore.

Edited by Ikman Ikreza

Kee, maybe SYD-CGK by Garuda and how about KLM for CGK-KUL? KLM normally offered quite cheap price and equipment B773 or B772 somemore.

yeah, been thinking that option too but that's mean i can't check in thru to KUL from SYD

I was very impressed with Garuda's ground service. Had to purchase and later refund a ticket during the Merapi eruption - agent was pleasant, process and refund in cash was very easily performed. Wish another airline we all hope to perform better could have same the refund procedure...

Is it a must to stop at CGK? Why not choose a more direct route i.e. SIN - MEL.

Is it a must to stop at CGK? Why not choose a more direct route i.e. SIN - MEL.

I am flying SYD-KUL return, and GA fare (with stopover at CGK) appears very competative and yet I have the chance to try new airline (i have not been flying with them). A quick tour around Jakarta on the return leg KUL-CGK-SYD also seems quite attractive to me. However, my concern is with the airline records.

But now from what i have gathered, the airline is ok (perhaps good) but the tour to downtown Jakarta (just for few hours) is not so recommendable (traffic, unrealiable transportation etc....). So in order to kill the 9.5 hours of layover at CGK, i am thinking to do CGK-DPS-SYD instead of CGK-SYD direct.

Another question, is there any airside hotel in CGK ? From the website, there is a transit hotel but not within airside, ie. we need to get visa on arrival before we could get out of the immigation check and check in the hotel for few hours.

Is there any transit lounge in CGK whereby we can pay and get in ?

I am thinking to do SYD-KUL return with Garuda Indonesia via CGK. However, Garuda's reputation is not as good as other Asean airlines in Australia (eg SIA, MAS or THAI). My mates here ask me to 'think twice'.

I have a few questions :

1) Is Garuda that 'bad' ? I heard the airlines has improved a lot and even it starts flying to Europe now (the ban from flying to Europe has been lifted)

2) I believe they have quite a young fleet, right ? How about A332 flying to SYD and B738 to KUL ?

3) How is the service onboard ?

4) There is a 9.5 hours layover on the return leg at CGK. Is it advisable to do a quick tour to downtown Jakarta (i heard traffic in Jakarta is pretty bad, anyway we are arriving on Sunday). We are travelling with 2 young kids (6 & 8 years old). Is there any 'must see' in Jakarta ? I actually only want to tour around the city and take a look of the 'real life' of Jakarta, not really fancy about the shopping malls. Is it advisable / safe to do so ? How is the taxi service there ?

I don't think you should worry on flying Garuda today, they are a very safe airline to fly.

I used to worry a little during the Garuda of "The Reputation" era, but today, I feel better flying on their few remaining 737 classics than on MH's classics to be honest.

I was even more shocked last week when I flew Citilink by Garuda, its low cost carrier, B737 classics, and I still find it just like flying MH's B737 classics - minus the frills.

So I think generally you should find it okay.

HOWEVER, Yes, I do have to agree that 9.5 hours layover is horrendous!

But as a residence here maybe I can give you some tips. It's good that you arrive on Sunday as traffic is slightly easier on the day.

Yes you can take the taxi here, no problem. As you go walk of the arrival hall, there are a few executive taxi counters but might be rather costly.

Don't worry, outside there are taxis lining up for customers, arranged according to the company names. Go for BLUEBIRD (light blue body), SILVER BIRD (black body mercedez), EXPRESS (white body), or TIARA EXPRESS (silver body alphard) only!

Tiara Express' Toyota Alphard is a nice one for family though, they even provide internet on-board, notebook and phone charger, GPS and card payment.

IGNORE those irritating plain-clothed touts offering you 'taxi', never say yes to any of those. Don't even bother :) The rule applies even to us locals :D

Jakarta itself it actually safe to visit. I've been guiding some of my foreigner friends coming over for a short walk around and they'd been happy.

My tips is, leave from the airport at around 2.30pm straight to Glodok in Kota (about 45 minutes), the old Chinatown area with 2 of the eldest Chinese temples, and little alleys selling nice, really good food!!

And then from there, you can start a 2 hour walking trail, to Kota Tua (Old City of Batavia), the Kali Besar Area, imagine its glorious past and the not-so-glorious present :). The timing should be just nice, around sunset.

Should finish the trail at about 5.30, by which time, you'll be at the Fatahillah Square with in front of the old City Hall.

Lots of children playing there, and they are renting out old style bicycles for a fun ride-on-your-own around the old city area, and it's safe because the old city area is car-free.

End the trip with dinner at the adjacent, famous Cafe Batavia. Favourite for European tourists here.

After dinner it should just be a good time to get back to the airport and reach the airport around 8.30, a nice 3 hours away before your GA712 at 2320.

When you're so tired already, a cosy Starbucks with large view to tarmac and nice jazzy music could be good enough even in a boring airport :)

Good luck for your trip :)

Hope my tips help!

I am flying SYD-KUL return, and GA fare (with stopover at CGK) appears very competative and yet I have the chance to try new airline (i have not been flying with them). A quick tour around Jakarta on the return leg KUL-CGK-SYD also seems quite attractive to me. However, my concern is with the airline records.

But now from what i have gathered, the airline is ok (perhaps good) but the tour to downtown Jakarta (just for few hours) is not so recommendable (traffic, unrealiable transportation etc....). So in order to kill the 9.5 hours of layover at CGK, i am thinking to do CGK-DPS-SYD instead of CGK-SYD direct.

Another question, is there any airside hotel in CGK ? From the website, there is a transit hotel but not within airside, ie. we need to get visa on arrival before we could get out of the immigation check and check in the hotel for few hours.

Is there any transit lounge in CGK whereby we can pay and get in ?

Whew... If you do like airport-hopping, it should be fun, but with family, I don't think it's advisable.

With the lousy airport tax-system here, you'll then have to pay the airport tax twice, in CGK and in DPS, before you get to SYD.

:bad: Do remember that, in Indonesia, no airport taxes are included in the total airfare.

So that could be a consideration before you decide on airport hopping :)

UNLESS, you pick an immediate connection to DPS, have a sunset chill-out at Ku De Ta or for family, at La Lucciola or Potatohead Beach Club at Seminyak, get back to the airport and off to SYD on the retrofitted A333 which never feels like getting old!

Unfortunately, there is no airside hotel at CGK.

The new Garuda Indonesia Lounge at Terminal 2E is nice, you can pay and get in.

My friend missed her flight on Sunday 6th March, travelling from downtown Shangri-La hotel to CGK in the late afternoon, for a night flight. Her trip started 3h 45m before flight time yet she missed the flight due to the notorious macet (traffic jam).

If you have Malaysian issued Citibank platinum card, you can get lounge access into Pura Indah lounge for 60 000rb (roughly Rm 20). Food is not great but adequate enough to fill in hunger pangs, you can shower and freshen up. What was more important, I bumped into George Benson there on his departure from Java Jazz on the 7th March, after watching him live in action the day before!But too chicken to ask for a photo or autograph...

Edited by V Wong

Thanks guys for your info.

Finally i've booked SYD-CGK-KUL return. Next is to plan the 9.5 hours layover in Jakarta on the return leg.

GA offers attractive fares to MEL/SYD ex KUL. Internet fares around RM2,400 to RM2,700.00 return. :good: But be very careful as some of the flights being offered would be via DPS. CGK is ok and just hire a taxi to take you and your family around.

Better still, you may hire a private driver to bring you around JKT. It will be around Rp550.000,00 for a full day charter.

So, how much did you pay ex SYD? And when are you flying? And looking forward your pictorial report.

GA offers attractive fares to MEL/SYD ex KUL. Internet fares around RM2,400 to RM2,700.00 return. :good: But be very careful as some of the flights being offered would be via DPS. CGK is ok and just hire a taxi to take you and your family around.

Better still, you may hire a private driver to bring you around JKT. It will be around Rp550.000,00 for a full day charter.

So, how much did you pay ex SYD? And when are you flying? And looking forward your pictorial report.

Indeed it is for Jan 2012 ! I have started looking around the fares offered by MH/SQ/QF/BA/TG. Due to the peak season (CNY period), the fares are around or more than AUD5k for 4 of us (2A + 2C). With GA, i am paying approx. AUD3200 and yet i have the chance to try with a new airline.

Yes, i am thinking to hire a private driver. Just hope the traffic in Jakarta won't give us a trouble....

Just hope the traffic in Jakarta won't give us a trouble....

It will. I was told by a local Jakartan that the total population (including surrounding suburbs) is 14m. If you go with this mind set, then the traffic is bearable.

If one feels KL jam is bad, then he'll have to experience Jakarta jam. Had to ditch cabbie a couple of times last year and walk the final 1km to JiEXPO during last year's Java Jazz, following the example of many others who were caught in a stagnant jam...

Edited by V Wong

Sign in to follow this