MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
KK Lee

Food Price at KLIA

Understand restaurants at KUL are paying over 20% of menu price/gross sale for rental to MAB. Hence, food price at KUL is 20+% higher than down town KL :angry:

Landside amenities at KLIA are no better than a shopping mall e.g. 1 Utama, Midvalley, KLCC, etc, opex is covered by passenger tax and capex is funded by the gomen, can’t see why food price need to be higher except captive customer base. By charging captive customers extra is abusive of monopoly position :angry:

Understand restaurants at KUL are paying over 20% of menu price/gross sale for rental to MAB. Hence, food price at KUL is 20+% higher than down town KL :angry:

Landside amenities at KLIA are no better than a shopping mall e.g. 1 Utama, Midvalley, KLCC, etc, opex is covered by passenger tax and capex is funded by the gomen, can’t see why food price need to be higher except captive customer base. By charging captive customers extra is abusive of monopoly position :angry:

They probably need to recoup some of the cost from having to offer low landing fees.

The mentality is very simple. Simply greedy.

"The people using the airport can afford to fly, therefore they must be rich. As such we can charge them for maximum profit."

Once I had a nasi lemak and Milo at the airside. Nasi lemak is RM9 per plate, iced Milo was RM7 per glass. I used to think that while they are still expensive,the food is still "edible", but not the drinks. Maybe I can bring my own drinks such as mineral water from outside. Then they come up with the LAG (liquid, aerosol, gel) rules.....

Actually it's like they fly you to the middle of nowhere and rob you. :p

I think SYD airport is same as well, if not worse. Everything is so expensive... A$4 for baggage trolley at departure, A$7 for half an hour parking, even the train fare to SYD airport is expensive too (although it is part of the cityrail network). There was no passenger picking up zone until they have it recently, but is 15 min (IIRC) only and it is located at the car park not kerbside. Hence you need to take a ticket before entering the "pick up zone" and pay nothing if you exit within 15 min. Otherwise, you need to pay the normal parking rate for any excess time. But at the same time the aiport has also closed a U-turn at the domestic terminals vicinity. For those who comes to airport to pick up someone and has missed the 15 min free parking window period and do not wish to pay normal pakring rate ($14/hr), they can't just go round n round within the terminal as the U-turn has closed. It is truly a rip-off.

I am not sure about the food price there though.

Edited by Kee Hooi Yen

Most airports are the same.

In the UK the food at railway stations is also more expensive.

Actually it's like they fly you to the middle of nowhere and rob you. :p

Well food at Subang in the old days also cost an arm and a leg. Its the SOP at all airports.

I've been to SYD domestic terminal and they have a food court, where you can find Subway and other affordable food. In ADL, you can find Hungry Jack's (Burger King) and the prices are the same as the ones you can get in the city.

I've been to SYD domestic terminal and they have a food court, where you can find Subway and other affordable food. In ADL, you can find Hungry Jack's (Burger King) and the prices are the same as the ones you can get in the city.

Why go to Hungry Jacks when you can have Cocolat ? :)

It's the same price as the outlet on Rundle Street.

I think even Cibo Espresso at the airport has the same pricing as their other outlets.

Most airports are the same.

In the UK the food at railway stations is also more expensive.

Food price at SIN is down town price and local coffee can be bought for less than SGD 1 on airside.

Espresso at FCO cost only Euro 1 per cup.

Food and drink at Italian railway station cafe is at normal price.

Why Espresso and almost everything else at KUL need to cost so much more than Europe or downtown KL?

Food price at SIN is down town price and local coffee can be bought for less than SGD 1 on airside.

Espresso at FCO cost only Euro 1 per cup.

Food and drink at Italian railway station cafe is at normal price.

Why Espresso and almost everything else at KUL need to cost so much more than Europe or downtown KL?

might be its expensive for malaysian local people.but not for foreigner/tourist.especially those who come from europe,america,middle east whose their currency are much higher than our malaysian ringgit.not only airports, but other place which become a tourist attraction normally will charge food,drinks and services much expensive than what you can get in town.As an example, KL Tower, Bird Park,Aquaria. Spend your weekend time to visit those places, you wont shock so much with what happening in KLIA

might be its expensive for malaysian local people.but not for foreigner/tourist.especially those who come from europe,america,middle east whose their currency are much higher than our malaysian ringgit.not only airports, but other place which become a tourist attraction normally will charge food,drinks and services much expensive than what you can get in town.As an example, KL Tower, Bird Park,Aquaria. Spend your weekend time to visit those places, you wont shock so much with what happening in KLIA

KL Tower, Bird Park, etc have two tier ticket pricing, one for foreigners and one discounted for MY card holders.

Price at tourist destinations is high because vendors don’t expect repeat business from the same customers.

Unlike tourist destinations, airport is a public utility and most users are locals. If pricing is benchmarked with European, Japanese or Arabs than what is the attractiveness for them to visit our country? What about Malaysian earning local income? Further, how could one justify the price of a cup of espresso at KUL is almost double of FCO? Coffee bean cost is only a fraction (RM0.30 to RM0.40/cup) and labour is cheaper than Italy.

Edited by KK Lee

It is exactly this line of thinking of the administrators that makes me boil everytime I am forced to pay jacked up food prices in Malaysia. Local wagers simply don't earn euro, yen or dollar. It is RM. Period.

According to the ministers:

Our toll is very cheap. Compare that to Japan.

Our wages is very high. Compare to Bangladesh.

And of course, those using the airport can afford to travel by aeroplane, so they must be rich. Let them pay.... (especially when my relatives and friends are the ones getting the contracts and running the outlets. )

And of course, those using the airport can afford to travel by aeroplane, so they must be rich. Let them pay.... (especially when my relatives and friends are the ones getting the contracts and running the outlets. )

...but in reality:

Our toll is very expensive. Compared to Bangladesh.

Our wages are very low. Compared to Japan.

:p

Typical gomen mentality.

Sign in to follow this