MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Raj

Foreign Carriers and Malaysia

Its all about yields and ROI. If the demand is massive, SQ, EK, QR, CX and all the other big shots will be lining up in droves to launch non-stop services to BKI or KCH. There is no justified demand. Otherwise if AK or MH are not doing their part, OD would have jumped in. Look at HKT for instance, demand is good hence all the ME3 and north asian giants are having flights there. 

I think we should understand that this narrative about having our own airline operations as mean of 'easing burden' of the flying public, increase connectivity to the state, ..... etc, all those benevolent attributes - is not new, and for Sabah, there is a case history already 😉

Back in the 70's, when timber and oil money was flowing into the state's coffers, those were the promises and plans - a couple of 707's were roped in by Sabah Air. What eventually transpired was the 9M-TDM and 9M-TMS fiasco, which helped to drain the state's coffers quite a bit ☹️

But back then there wasn't social media where such things could have been publicly scrutinized, we only got to read about it when a newspaper publisher decided to go 'opposition' and ran a whole series of articles about the subject in the run up to state elections - which the incumbent gahmen lost 😏

2 hours ago, BC Tam said:

I think we should understand that this narrative about having our own airline operations as mean of 'easing burden' of the flying public, increase connectivity to the state, ..... etc, all those benevolent attributes - is not new, and for Sabah, there is a case history already 😉

Back in the 70's, when timber and oil money was flowing into the state's coffers, those were the promises and plans - a couple of 707's were roped in by Sabah Air. What eventually transpired was the 9M-TDM and 9M-TMS fiasco, which helped to drain the state's coffers quite a bit ☹️

But back then there wasn't social media where such things could have been publicly scrutinized, we only got to read about it when a newspaper publisher decided to go 'opposition' and ran a whole series of articles about the subject in the run up to state elections - which the incumbent gahmen lost 😏

More Korean, Japanese and PRC tourists could visit Sabah especially during the winter months. But exorbitant alcohol price made them less enjoyable. Hence, many choose Philippines instead.

1 hour ago, KK Lee said:

More Korean, Japanese and PRC tourists could visit Sabah especially during the winter months. But exorbitant alcohol price made them less enjoyable. Hence, many choose Philippines instead.

I highly doubt the price of alcohol is a strong determining factor for tourists. And there's always a local alternative - e.g. tuak and I don't believe they are subjected to the same taxes as say sake. 

Whilst looking for flights between KUL and PVG for my travels, it appears that MU will begin flying PVG-KUL sometime in September using A359.

MU247 PVG2000 - 0200+1KUL 359 D

MU248 KUL0300 - 0815PVG 359 D

This is in addition to FM's 2x daily PVG-KUL, one each on 789 and 737-900ER.

On 8/30/2023 at 6:18 PM, Craig said:

I highly doubt the price of alcohol is a strong determining factor for tourists. And there's always a local alternative - e.g. tuak and I don't believe they are subjected to the same taxes as say sake. 

Alcohol is a part of dinning and chill experience. Those enjoy drinking at poolside, beach, dinner, cocktail time, night club, etc would find exorbitant price unwelcome. For reason, few Russians visit this country.

Edited by KK Lee

10 hours ago, KK Lee said:

Alcohol is a part of dinning and chill experience. Those enjoy drinking at poolside, beach, dinner, cocktail time, night club, etc would find exorbitant price unwelcome...

(44) Scarlett有话说 — 在马来西亚的中国人给沙巴山打根州议员的一封旅游献议倡议!再谈东马山打根旅游! ELOPURA (美丽的小镇) - YouTube

Well, if ever you need evidence to substantiate ..... 😝
(skip to 26:00)
But seriously, I think this couple do have some pretty valid opinions and suggestions that hopefully can reach the tourism authorities 😄

3 hours ago, BC Tam said:

(44) Scarlett有话说 — 在马来西亚的中国人给沙巴山打根州议员的一封旅游献议倡议!再谈东马山打根旅游! ELOPURA (美丽的小镇) - YouTube

Well, if ever you need evidence to substantiate ..... 😝
(skip to 26:00)
But seriously, I think this couple do have some pretty valid opinions and suggestions that hopefully can reach the tourism authorities 😄

Most local politicians are for the tree and miss the forest.

Russians are known to spend more on drinks than their room rate. During covid19 pandemic, many resorts in Maldives survived largely on Russian guests. Before the Ukraine war, there were thousands of Russian in Pattaya, Phuket and Bali at any one time.

Many locals crave roti canai and nasi lemak for breakfast. Similarly, many farang crave sausage and bacon for breakfast. A reason why few farang tourists return for subsequent visit or stay long here.

Edited by KK Lee

6 hours ago, KK Lee said:

Russians are known to spend more on drinks than their room rate. During covid19 pandemic, many resorts in Maldives survived largely on Russian guests. Before the Ukraine war, there were thousands of Russian in Pattaya, Phuket and Bali at any one time.

I can't be the only Malaysian who doesn't want any of our islands/beach cities turning into Pattaya, Phuket, Bali, Nha Trang or worse, Antalya. Restaurants are all in Russians and catered to them only with binge drinking / drunk behavior and brawls every night? No thank you. I honestly do not see the lure of Pattaya, Phuket, or Bali. Thailand and Indonesia are both very beautiful countries with lots to offer but I avoid Phuket and most parts of Bali south of Seminyak (and not to mention the taxi mafias in both places, especially the airport).

1 hour ago, Craig said:

I can't be the only Malaysian who doesn't want any of our islands/beach cities turning into Pattaya, Phuket, Bali, Nha Trang or worse, Antalya. Restaurants are all in Russians and catered to them only with binge drinking / drunk behavior and brawls every night? No thank you. I honestly do not see the lure of Pattaya, Phuket, or Bali. Thailand and Indonesia are both very beautiful countries with lots to offer but I avoid Phuket and most parts of Bali south of Seminyak (and not to mention the taxi mafias in both places, especially the airport).

+1 for me but still it should not be something to be thrown out completely. The issue msia does not engage in a wider area of tourism draw it is still stuck within "mass tourism" and "family oriented" which is not enough to keep the local job market afloat bundled with very with weak marketing budget and product placement. A small funding catered to eco tourism has started but facilities have not been build and with Malaysian culture we'll build something fancy expensive and then it would not be maintained nor replaced.

Another issue i am seeing not sure why but it seems even locals are not keen on Sabah Sarawak increasing its manufacturing capabilities citing risk building these stuff out will irk the tourist away due environmental drawbacks. In the case of Sabah the current electricity supply is also not enough for local consumption but locals heavily hated the idea of building dams or coal power plant asking for very expensive wind turbines and solar at an entirely unsuitable terrain topography design and being completely oblivious that your local youths are leaving to find jobs elsewhere plus complaining about the constant power outtage knowing the state grid power supply is insufficient.

Edited by jahur

2 hours ago, Craig said:

These loudy places are confined to tourist strip, where few locals go and has little impact on local lifestyle.

Everyone's alcohol tolerance level is different. How much Russians or anyone drink shouldn't be our concern provided they don't break the laws. When 'holier than thou' mentality set tourism policy, it is a no wonder why Malaysia attract fewer tourists than neighbouring countries.

Couponed taxi at KLIA, PEN, etc is regulated mafia.

1 hour ago, jahur said:

+1 for me but still it should not be something to be thrown out completely. The issue msia does not engage in a wider area of tourism draw it is still stuck within "mass tourism" and "family oriented" which is not enough to keep the local job market afloat bundled with very with weak marketing budget and product placement. A small funding catered to eco tourism has started but facilities have not been build and with Malaysian culture we'll build something fancy expensive and then it would not be maintained nor replaced.

Another issue i am seeing not sure why but it seems even locals are not keen on Sabah Sarawak increasing its manufacturing capabilities citing risk building these stuff out will irk the tourist away due environmental drawbacks. In the case of Sabah the current electricity supply is also not enough for local consumption but locals heavily hated the idea of building dams or coal power plant asking for very expensive wind turbines and solar at an entirely unsuitable terrain topography design and being completely oblivious that your local youths are leaving to find jobs elsewhere plus complaining about the constant power outtage knowing the state grid power supply is insufficient.

Eco tourists tend to be liberal minded and sympathy to LBGTQ. Sabah and Sarawak may have many offer to eco tourism but strict law against LBGTQ deter them from visiting. As for "family oriented" tourists; middle east tourists visit has dropped substantially even before pandemic.

Sabah is actually geographically idea for some renewable energy generation, which couldn't undertake by Sabah state government alone. Unless Sabah government is opened to federal government or agency involvement, these renewable energy potential will remain untapped.

4 hours ago, Craig said:

I can't be the only Malaysian who doesn't want any of our islands/beach cities turning into Pattaya, Phuket, Bali, Nha Trang or worse, Antalya. Restaurants are all in Russians and catered to them only with binge drinking / drunk behavior and brawls every night? No thank you.

Guess you haven't seen how much PRC could drink and spend on drinks over dinner. Their favourite baijiu is hard to find and very expensive here. For reasons, why few PRC T20 returns here for holiday.

3 hours ago, jahur said:

+1 for me but still it should not be something to be thrown out completely. The issue msia does not engage in a wider area of tourism draw it is still stuck within "mass tourism" and "family oriented" which is not enough to keep the local job market afloat bundled with very with weak marketing budget and product placement. 

Another issue i am seeing not sure why but it seems even locals are not keen on Sabah Sarawak increasing its manufacturing capabilities citing risk building these stuff out will irk the tourist away due environmental drawbacks. 

Malaysia doesn't know how to market themselves well. All these banning doesn't help either - Malaysia's government cancel culture is as bad as West's woke cancel culture, except that we are in the opposite spectrum. MPs on both side of the aisles aren't helping when both keep bashing concerts/alcohol when the other is in government and both are pandering to the conservatives even though the current government won on a progressive ticket (and they can keep dreaming of flipping northern/east coast states  - it will never happen within the next few years). 

Tourists getting irked by manufacturing are the least of their worries when all tourists see on their way say from Sandakan to Kinabatangan are oil palm plantations and you get a tiny strip of primary rainforest (and only on one side of the river nonetheless) at Sukau/Bilit area.

2 hours ago, KK Lee said:

These loudy places are confined to tourist strip, where few locals go and has little impact on local lifestyle.

Everyone's alcohol tolerance level is different. How much Russians or anyone drink shouldn't be our concern provided they don't break the laws. When 'holier than thou' mentality set tourism policy, it is a no wonder why Malaysia attract fewer tourists than neighbouring countries.

Couponed taxi at KLIA, PEN, etc is regulated mafia.

Eco tourists tend to be liberal minded and sympathy to LBGTQ. Sabah and Sarawak may have many offer to eco tourism but strict law against LBGTQ deter them from visiting. As for "family oriented" tourists; middle east tourists visit has dropped substantially even before pandemic.

Whether it's confined to tourist strip or not, I sincerely hope a small part of Malaysia does not turn into Nha Trang or Pattaya. It is really gross there. The only reason they are in Bali, Phuket, Nha Trang, Antalya etc. and get stupid drunk is because it's relatively cheap place to spend winter. Money goes slightly further there than Malaysia but do we really want to compete with them to get those tourists? Malaysia has way higher standard and cost of living - obviously we wouldn't attract those tourists. Bali is also in the process of reducing those tourists because they do not want tourists to do stupid things and disrespect local customs.

Grab/Maxim/Air Asia Ride is still available at KUL, PEN etc. at a very reasonable rate, no? There is a choice at KUL/PEN but there is no choice in DPS or HKT. It's even worse in HKT where local (non-airport) Grab are all flat rate.

Let's not even talk about LGBTQ - belly dancing is apparently too haram in KL last week. If only there was a time where social media users kept their opinions to themselves and not complain or get offended about everything and get their 15 seconds of fame through a social media post.

1 hour ago, KK Lee said:

Guess you haven't seen how much PRC could drink and spend on drinks over dinner. Their favourite baijiu is hard to find and very expensive here. For reasons, why few PRC T20 returns here for holiday.

I don't know of any friends that choose a destination based on price of alcohol - of course that's my experience. I am not saying price of alcohol here is cheap either - just saying that I am not sure how many people actually chooses a destination (unless you want yo spend significant of time drinking) based on price of alcohol. Food and hotel here is much cheaper than say Bali - so it all evens out somehow.

Edited by Craig

3 hours ago, KK Lee said:

Sabah is actually geographically idea for some renewable energy generation, which couldn't undertake by Sabah state government alone. Unless Sabah government is opened to federal government or agency involvement, these renewable energy potential will remain untapped.

The notion that Eco tourism tends to be leaning towards the left ideals is not exactly true either. Most of the market eco tourism is after the nature outback tours. My former training place and its competitor back then occasionally had Russian heli charter flying in all the way to danum valley. There's also many sub category like cultural tourism, special interest tourism, Dark tourism(visiting haunted places supposedly). 

Renewable energy sounds good but like EV the process of setting such is still not environmentally friendly nor a stable platform much like most of the Go Green/ESG Gimmick i've been seeing circulating in the aviation industry. Recall somewhere up north of Europe chopping of millions of trees to build up wind turbine farms when external research shows loosing those trees is already more carbon damaging than using up some coal. Solar on the other hand does not provide adequate power cannot be used as a 1 to 1 replacement and can only be used a mild additional surplus/offset in power to lower coal/nuclear consumption.

Note Sabah is only generating approx 1200MW(short of 1300MW to include manufacturing industry). The state needs 2800MW. Meanwhile Sarawak after the construction of the dam along with other power plants has a supply of nearly 6000MW and Semenanjung itself has a stable 25000MW output. Sarawak with 6000MW is already loaning some of the excess power to Kalimantan and Brunei as state income. Sabah originally had a dam project that was heavily protested in 2013 around Papar. Fast forward to today it was relocated to Tenom and again heavily protested. 

8 hours ago, Craig said:

Malaysia doesn't know how to market themselves well. All these banning doesn't help either - Malaysia's government cancel culture is as bad as West's woke cancel culture, except that we are in the opposite spectrum. MPs on both side of the aisles aren't helping when both keep bashing concerts/alcohol when the other is in government and both are pandering to the conservatives even though the current government won on a progressive ticket (and they can keep dreaming of flipping northern/east coast states  - it will never happen within the next few years). 

Tourists getting irked by manufacturing are the least of their worries when all tourists see on their way say from Sandakan to Kinabatangan are oil palm plantations and you get a tiny strip of primary rainforest (and only on one side of the river nonetheless) at Sukau/Bilit area.

Whether it's confined to tourist strip or not, I sincerely hope a small part of Malaysia does not turn into Nha Trang or Pattaya. It is really gross there. The only reason they are in Bali, Phuket, Nha Trang, Antalya etc. and get stupid drunk is because it's relatively cheap place to spend winter. Money goes slightly further there than Malaysia but do we really want to compete with them to get those tourists? Malaysia has way higher standard and cost of living - obviously we wouldn't attract those tourists. Bali is also in the process of reducing those tourists because they do not want tourists to do stupid things and disrespect local customs.

Grab/Maxim/Air Asia Ride is still available at KUL, PEN etc. at a very reasonable rate, no? There is a choice at KUL/PEN but there is no choice in DPS or HKT. It's even worse in HKT where local (non-airport) Grab are all flat rate.

Let's not even talk about LGBTQ - belly dancing is apparently too haram in KL last week. If only there was a time where social media users kept their opinions to themselves and not complain or get offended about everything and get their 15 seconds of fame through a social media post.

I don't know of any friends that choose a destination based on price of alcohol - of course that's my experience. I am not saying price of alcohol here is cheap either - just saying that I am not sure how many people actually chooses a destination (unless you want yo spend significant of time drinking) based on price of alcohol. Food and hotel here is much cheaper than say Bali - so it all evens out somehow.

Except hotel room rate, almost every things here is more expensive than Thailand and Indonesia, not value for money to visit. 

Grab and Gojek is available in Indonesia and Thailand. Klook airport transfer is also an option.

On first visit, price of alcohol is not in consideration. However, whether to return for subsequent visit; dining experience and enjoyment played a role. For reasons, why few tourists return to this country. 

7 hours ago, jahur said:

The notion that Eco tourism tends to be leaning towards the left ideals is not exactly true either. Most of the market eco tourism is after the nature outback tours. My former training place and its competitor back then occasionally had Russian heli charter flying in all the way to danum valley. There's also many sub category like cultural tourism, special interest tourism, Dark tourism(visiting haunted places supposedly). 

Renewable energy sounds good but like EV the process of setting such is still not environmentally friendly nor a stable platform much like most of the Go Green/ESG Gimmick i've been seeing circulating in the aviation industry. Recall somewhere up north of Europe chopping of millions of trees to build up wind turbine farms when external research shows loosing those trees is already more carbon damaging than using up some coal. Solar on the other hand does not provide adequate power cannot be used as a 1 to 1 replacement and can only be used a mild additional surplus/offset in power to lower coal/nuclear consumption.

Note Sabah is only generating approx 1200MW(short of 1300MW to include manufacturing industry). The state needs 2800MW. Meanwhile Sarawak after the construction of the dam along with other power plants has a supply of nearly 6000MW and Semenanjung itself has a stable 25000MW output. Sarawak with 6000MW is already loaning some of the excess power to Kalimantan and Brunei as state income. Sabah originally had a dam project that was heavily protested in 2013 around Papar. Fast forward to today it was relocated to Tenom and again heavily protested. 

Wind turbine doesn't need much footprint and is rare for European to clear forest for wind turbine.

6 hours ago, Alif A. F. said:

I remember an Aussie said to me, she doesn't like Bali. It was all booze...🤭

From the number of Aussie visited Bali, many more enjoy drinking.

8 hours ago, KK Lee said:

Except hotel room rate, almost every things here is more expensive than Thailand and Indonesia, not value for money to visit. 

Grab and Gojek is available in Indonesia and Thailand. Klook airport transfer is also an option[...]

From the number of Aussie visited Bali, many more enjoy drinking.

Malaysia is going to cost more than Indonesia and Thailand because our standard of living / wages are higher than Thailand/Indonesia. We aren't competing on the lowest cost base for travelers. But 3-4€ ($4-5USD) for a meal is reasonable for most travelers - we cannot compete with 1-2€ a meal here. Our transport (except for Grab during KL peak hours) is very reasonable compared to the rest of Southeast Asia. Public transportation is still one of the cheapest in the region, if not the world (comparing apples to apples - can't compare say buses to trains).

I take it you haven't been to DPS in the past few years? DPS is geofenced. You can't get a normal Grab price there. IIRC, my grab price was 220,000 IDR (~RM65) from DPS to Sanur/Seminyak for a short 6-7km on the road. I haven't been to HKT in a while because I had bad experience with price gouging there but I recall that Grab was really expensive from HKT as well and to get anywhere in the island are all fixed rates. Even a short 10 minute Grab ride costs 300THB - this may have changed, I don't know, but my impression was that it was all a scam and I don't plan on returning.

I think drunk bogans drinking away their Centrelink funds is exactly what Bali wants to get rid of. Most of my Aussie friends refused to visit Bali because it's filled with bogans and they don't want to be associated with them. Just like how some Malaysians avoid a place full of rempits (and don't want to be associated with them).

9 hours ago, KK Lee said:

Wind turbine doesn't need much footprint and is rare for European to clear forest for wind turbine.

SNP admits to felling 16 million trees to develop wind farms

Clearing up 16mil native trees and planting more than 16mil low value trees with poor carbon absorb type is not exactly a proper way of replacing 1 to 1 same with us replacing them with palm tree.

9 hours ago, Craig said:

Malaysia is going to cost more than Indonesia and Thailand because our standard of living / wages are higher than Thailand/Indonesia. We aren't competing on the lowest cost base for travelers. But 3-4€ ($4-5USD) for a meal is reasonable for most travelers - we cannot compete with 1-2€ a meal here. Our transport (except for Grab during KL peak hours) is very reasonable compared to the rest of Southeast Asia. Public transportation is still one of the cheapest in the region, if not the world (comparing apples to apples - can't compare say buses to trains).

I take it you haven't been to DPS in the past few years? DPS is geofenced. You can't get a normal Grab price there. IIRC, my grab price was 220,000 IDR (~RM65) from DPS to Sanur/Seminyak for a short 6-7km on the road. I haven't been to HKT in a while because I had bad experience with price gouging there but I recall that Grab was really expensive from HKT as well and to get anywhere in the island are all fixed rates. Even a short 10 minute Grab ride costs 300THB - this may have changed, I don't know, but my impression was that it was all a scam and I don't plan on returning.

I think drunk bogans drinking away their Centrelink funds is exactly what Bali wants to get rid of. Most of my Aussie friends refused to visit Bali because it's filled with bogans and they don't want to be associated with them. Just like how some Malaysians avoid a place full of rempits (and don't want to be associated with them).

Like durian, we may claim is the best but the world largest market, PRC import less than 10% of durian from Malaysia. We could be as selective, premium or moral high ground as we want; how many foreign buyers/tourists buy in is a different matter. Tourists arrival and money spent speak for itself.

Edited by KK Lee

3 hours ago, KK Lee said:

Like durian, we may claim is the best but the world largest market, PRC import less than 10% of durian from Malaysia. We could be as selective, premium or moral high ground as we want; how many foreign buyers/tourists buy in is a different matter. Tourists arrival and money spent speak for itself.

I am not sure what durians has to do with tourism. I never claimed Malaysia is the best country to visit, but if we didn't attract hicks, bogans etc. to visit Malaysia and I don't know -  drink all day, pet a tiger, or ride an elephant previously, I don't think we should begin now. Most of our neighbors are trying to attract premium travelers instead of these backpackers and retirement fund day drinkers.

9 hours ago, Craig said:

I am not sure what durians has to do with tourism. I never claimed Malaysia is the best country to visit, but if we didn't attract hicks, bogans etc. to visit Malaysia and I don't know -  drink all day, pet a tiger, or ride an elephant previously, I don't think we should begin now. Most of our neighbors are trying to attract premium travelers instead of these backpackers and retirement fund day drinkers.

Out of 100 drinkers, about 2 could be loudy or misbehave, and we don't know who these 2 are. As the host, should we unwelcome the rest 98 drinkers (for the tree and miss the forest)?

Number of premium tourist is less than budget conscious tourists, expectations of premium tourist is higher and premium tourist has wider choices. Given the quality of service, foods offering, shopping variety, etc in existence, not many choose to holiday here; e.g T20 and M40 from Shanghai and Beijing for quick getaway, would visit Thailand, Seoul and Japan rather than here, and is reflected in flight arrival and statistics.

Edited by KK Lee

10 hours ago, KK Lee said:

Out of 100 drinkers, about 2 could be loudy or misbehave, and we don't know who these 2 are. As the host, should we unwelcome the rest 98 drinkers (for the tree and miss the forest)?

Number of premium tourist is less than budget conscious tourists, expectations of premium tourist is higher and premium tourist has wider choices. Given the quality of service, foods offering, shopping variety, etc in existence, not many choose to holiday here; e.g T20 and M40 from Shanghai and Beijing for quick getaway, would visit Thailand, Seoul and Japan rather than here, and is reflected in flight arrival and statistics.

Did I miss the memo that Malaysia is banning alcohol or are we talking about banning alcohol? Those 100 drinkers in your example are all still welcomed in Malaysia (and also duty free islands of Langkawi, Tioman, and Labuan where alcohol is cheap).

Funny you mention Chinese tourists visiting Japan. Guess all is forgiven with Fukushima now.

15 hours ago, Adam Lawrence said:

Batik Air Malaysia posted on their FB page that they will begin flying to Karachi from Oct 31, 2023

Oh dear, not a country that airlines are very keen fly into. Security, safety and host of other issues. If one thinks PRC pax is hard to deal with, wait till you deal with Pakistani. There used to be many Asian-based airlines flying into Pakistan. CX used to fly there, it was a great relief for my friends (who are flying as cabin crew with CX) when the management announced they were cancelling the destination.

I think most airlines in Asia had dropped Pakistan post 9/11 and pre-covid era. Only TG now has active service into Lahore, Karachi and Islamabad. The others being China Southern Airlines (via CAN) and Air China (via PKX)