MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
MOHD RAMZAN FADZIL

Now Lat's characters fly AirAsia

LOW-COST carrier AirAsia Bhd (5099) will retail merchandise bearing the artwork of popular local cartoonist Datuk Mohd Nor Khalid, or commonly known as Lat, starting next month.

AirAsia will produce a limited edition line of Lat merchandise such as t-shirts, caps, and disposal cameras, said Lat.

He was speaking to reporters after the AirAsia-Lat Livery plane launch in Sepang yesterday. This marks the second AirAsia plane to carry Lat's drawings on its body.

The first time both parties collaborated was five years ago, when one of AirAsia's Boeing 737 was painted with Lat's cartoons.

"When we go to foreign countries, we see that the cartoon characters there are representative of those countries and tell the identity of the people. It is the best medium to communicate," said Lat.

Likewise, it is important for local art and music to be shared abroad, and AirAsia is pivotal in facilitating this.

"I'm glad that these characters can go abroad and people can see the product of a different land," Lat said during his speech.

He added that he wanted the characters and storyboard to reflect the culture and the way of life of Asean people as what AirAsia has grown to become.

AirAsia group chief executive officer Datuk Seri Tony Fernandes said Lat's artwork on its aircraft has helped it realise AirAsia's dream of becoming a true Asean airline. "With the aircraft flying all over Asean, we believe that his creativity will inspire other young artists to greater height."

The plane will be utilised on its Southeast Asian routes as well as China and India.

"Next, we would like to work with him on our aircraft safety cards. Maybe the Kampung Boy learning to use a life jacket," he added.

Fernandes said AirAsia would also like to showcase Lat's drawings on its A330 fleet.

Also present at the launch ceremony was rocker-activist Sir Bob Geldof, who praised AirAsia's efforts in promoting air travel by keeping air fares low.

Got a great travel photo? Can it win this photo contest?

Meanwhile, Fernandes said AirAsia has no plans to re-impose a fuel surcharge despite the rising oil prices.

0000506221.JPG

Having Lat's cartoons on the plane is always nice. :clapping: But it looks unfinished.... and dated... Why only bottom half? And the cheatline....

If ever anyone come out with 1:400 replicas of this and the previous 733 version, they will sell tons and tons - in any scale in fact, if I may add

Hopefully this bird has better luck than its predecessor when landing at BKI (yeah, choi-choi-choi !) :D

Hopefully this bird has better luck than its predecessor when landing at BKI (yeah, choi-choi-choi !) :D

Hehehe ... here I am with the old bird way back Aug '06, in Siem Reap, before the said 'landing'. :D

SiemReap20Angkor2009-08-20062012-10.jpg

That red cheatline and engines - one could perhaps be excused for guessing the bird is a hand me down from one of Dato TF's ex-boss ? :p

Seems to me that the LAT characters are for the eyes of the passengers. But an aircraft should look good both on the ground and in the air. The albino look is not that attractive when the aircraft is airborne.

Yes I agree with Sri Ramani statement there...the cartoon too small compare to previous fleet...

But thanks,,at least,, to DTF and AK management team to make an effort to bring back the Lat livery to AK fleet...

The only impress me so much with AK fleets is their variety of livery...

Guys,,wish aircraft model manufacture will made this in model form soon,,cross finger for that..hehe..start saving from now

That red cheatline and engines - one could perhaps be excused for guessing the bird is a hand me down from one of Dato TF's ex-boss ? :p

1412541.jpg

now i see it..

however, my first impression of AFJ was...

1473300.jpg

:rofl: :rofl:

Lat's livery on fleet..

9M-AFJ_MW.jpg

If you are using someone elses photograph , please put his name below the photo and perhaps ASK him first before using it and deleting the EXIF info

1473300.jpg

:rofl: :rofl:

JANET airlines (for transporting Groom Lake 'Area 51' employees back and forth from Las Vegas to the facility)...

Edited by Alif A. F.

If you are using someone elses photograph , please put his name below the photo and perhaps ASK him first before using it and deleting the EXIF info

Ok noted, sorry about this matter. This picture also grab from this Malaysianwings forum. Credit to Hoe Jyh owner of this photo. So picture deleted already. Sorry and thanks again.

Edited by Ikman Ikreza