MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Teh

RM1.5m paintings hot topic

i just couldnt believe that the chairman office had gone for the proposterous amount just for renovation. renovation is fine with me but not with that amount. we could buy a freakin bungalow with that! i just couldnt believe it!!!!!!!! mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif i wouldnt know where to put my face if i were him.

i pity pak lah! i really pity him. he would not like it at all!

and where is the Chief Financial Officer? he is considered the best man to advise what to spend and what not to.

and where is the Chief Financial Officer? he is considered the best man to advise what to spend and what not to.

21262[/snapback]

I'm sure he's behind all this too ..

Nothing like a 1.5Million Ringgit office to usher in the new year...what a damn leech... mad.gif mad.gif

That's the problem with society today...there is a lack of just, honest leaders... I sincerely hope Mr. Idris Jala puts an end to all this nonsense...

Hope so, i dont want to see Malaysia Airlines perish........................

Even AirAsia is doing so well with the SO CALLED EXCUSES! by MH

Excuse: High oil prices..

Edited by Walter Sim

if MH really perish (which i dont think it will), we cant blame anyone but the corruptors.. (webmaster can delete this if the word 'corruptor' is too harsh)..

really couldnt deny that the fact behind all this millions billions of lost can be traced but who dare to do it? and who can stand up in the front line to protect our national pride of Malaysia Airlines System.. i hope someone will do.. and Mr. Idris Jala pls pls.. never listen to the bunch of execs anymore.. seek public voices and if he can.. really can.. report any findings to the Badan Pencegah Rasuah.. before the 'snakes' run away..

i WAS so proud to tell my fellow classmates about how prestigious MH is.. but after all this reports.. paintings.. flying buffet.. argh... never ask me to talk about MH anymore.. i am ashame.. everytime i bypass MH office in earls court.. i feel so proud.. now when i bypass it.. i ask myself when will MH regain its pride again.. i really do hope everything will come to an end soon..

probably SQ is laughing their pants off right now.

They are really screwed up big time. With all the press reports and stuff. Mr Idris Jala, Save MH please!!

probably SQ is laughing their pants off right now.

They are really screwed up big time. With all the press reports and stuff. Mr Idris Jala, Save MH please!!

21315[/snapback]

You can laugh louder when you see MM's profile on MAS website:

Dr Munir presently also occasionally lectures for the Toronto Centre for Leadership in Financial Market Regulation where he sits on the Advisory Board for Securities Market Regulation...

In today's papers, a senator has asked for MM's resignation... but will he do it?

The painting issue is just one of the issues that is hanging over MAS. I wonder why other issues have not been raised by the politicians, such as exorbitant catering cost?? smile.gif smile.gif

honestly for me...the paint look suck!..

I heard that Munir Majid goes to London every week too...what the hell he doing there every week ?

Edited by Saiful Bahari

honestly for me...the paint look suck!..

I heard that Munir Majid goes to London every week too...what the hell he doing there every week ?

21395[/snapback]

Read on a certain blog he has an English wife there...

Read on a certain blog he has an English wife there...

21405[/snapback]

I don't want to throw more fuel to the rumour but this has stirred up somethin from the past - Some 10 years ago, when I was a student in London, my friends sister visited and she was working for the securitirs commission. Then we bumped into my friend's neighbours and she looked a bit surprised and said hello to the guy. Then she told us that it was her big boss, MM. A few days later, she found out more from chatting with the neighbours and told us that apparently that was his "family".

Ok, a couple of years after that, back in KL, I was chatting with this guy who claimed that he knows MM. So I mentioned the family to him and he was quite surprised and said that no, that can't be right, because he has a wife and young child (children?) in KL... I must be mistaken. Well, I assumed then that I was mistaken and forgot all about it until i read this buffet story. Hmmm.. maybe I wasn't mistaken!

Does someone know his age? I need to do some calculation...

saw on newspaper (china press) today, Gov own 80% of MAS instead of 72% as Sandeep mentioned.

MAS giving excuse again saying that, they previously sponsored the artist at his Malaysia Exhibition, and itz normal to buy his painting since they sponsored him

btw, the painting su*ks

itz normal to buy his painting since they sponsored him

21472[/snapback]

ITS NORMAL!?!?!?!?

ITS Normal to buy a s*cks paiting? worth?

maybe mh should pay all MWs crew as well as we r promiting MH to the world.. tongue.gif

there is no problem of buying an artwork. overtime, it normally appreciates in value if it is a good artwork painted by famous artist.

but is it ethically or morally right to by an artwork when times are bad? it is an easy answer right biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif .

mas core business is running an airline services. it is ok if it spends money to earn money on its core activities. i have no problem if it announces the billions of purchase of new aircraft to replace its old seven threes. it is part of core business activities. but to spend money away from core business is not ok especially as mentioned above when times are bad.

of course, the culprit will give all sorts of reasons to defend the action.........it is an investment laaa, artwork appreciate in value laaaa bla bla bla.........

the act of being defensive shows that the culprit is feeling guilty. hahahahaha

From The Star Malaysia today...

MAS promised not to sell headquarters

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia Airlines (MAS) made a promise to the Government that it would not sell its headquarters building at Jalan Sultan Ismail here, said its former managing director Tan Sri Abdul Aziz Abdul Rahman. 

The promise was made verbally by a former MAS chairman, the late Raja Tun Mohar Raja Badiozaman to the late prime minister Tun Abdul Razak Hussein.

Abdul Aziz, who had served the longest as MAS managing director from 1981 to 1992, said Raja Tun Mohar had also promised to return the land and building to the Government if MAS failed to manage it properly.

“If Tun Mohar and Tun Razak were still alive, I feel they would not agree to the proposal to sell the MAS headquarters building,” he said at a press conference organised by Prowaris at Wisma Le Proton here.

Abdul Aziz, who is now a lawyer and businessman, is advisor to Prowaris, a bumiputra non-governmental organisation.

The current MAS management has proposed that the 36-storey building, which was built at a cost of RM88mil and is now reported to be worth between RM300mil and RM350mil, be sold off as one way of overcoming its financial problem.

Abdul Aziz, who started his service in MAS in 1971, said that before the MAS headquarters building was built, the MAS management had rented space at the UMBC headquarters building here.

“At that time, we felt we needed our own building to reflect the strong image of Malaysia Airlines and that the site must also be a prestigious one,” he said.

Abdul Aziz said that it was also a coincidence that there was a vacant piece of land, then belonging to the Government at Jalan Sultan Ismail which was also being sought after by several government agencies.

“Raja Tun Mohar, who was the economic advisor to the Government then, had promised that MAS would utilise its own funds and if the land could not be developed, it would be returned (to the government),” he said. 

Abdul Aziz urged the MAS management to find other ways to look for funds instead of selling its headquarters building.

Asked why he had chosen to talk to the media instead of telling the Government directly, Abdul Aziz said that he wanted his views to be heard by the general public.

“I suppose I can do both. But this thing had been in the media for several weeks. I believe that the best approach is to have the same media which had been writing about others’ opinions to write about my opinion as well.” 

Abdul Aziz felt that among the factors contributing to the MAS problems today was the stiff competition from a low-cost carrier (LCC) and the lack of support from the Government to the extent that MAS could not afford to compete with the LCC.

“We must understand that Malaysia is a small market, so we can’t have two types of services, that is the LCC and the full service airline such as MAS.

“If the Government opts for the LCC, then MAS can also change and operate like the other LCCs. Are we prepared to do this?” he said. – Bernama 

Edited by H Azmal

It's time for ACA to get in action ......

As i said a few months ago, MAS is losing money because the management sucks and also CORRUPTION inside the company.

Best way to save MAS ? Privatise it ...... tongue.gif

i bet this guy abdul aziz doesnt know very well about the airline industry.. i would say most of MH's sales do come from tourists from abroad.. such as the australian travelling to europe or vice versa..

MH has been losing money on domestic routes all its yers.. i mean overall.. and this routes has been subsidised by the government as well.. not enough support from the government?

and personally i think AK is not a threat to MH's profitability.. but a tough competitor that motivates MH to compete even harder on domestic routes and regional routes as well..

what is the problem? corruption lor.. i think issac is quite rite.. privatise it and everything will be sorted out.. only then the upper management know how important is the entire airline worth for them which is worth as much to us, the members of malaysianwing n of course.. the country as well..

i bet this guy abdul aziz doesnt know very well about the airline industry.. i would say most of MH's sales do come from tourists from abroad.. such as the australian travelling to europe or vice versa..

Err...he was the MAS chairman from 1981 to 1992...and had been with MAS since 1971 - he was the strongman in the early days of MAS - persuading the majority of Malaysians in the old MSA to return and work for MAS.

I think one of the ways to get MAS out of the red would be as per Tan Sri Abdul Aziz's indirect suggestion - relinquish this 'national airline' thing and stop serving local routes - leave that to the LCC in question. Question is, as he stated, is the government ready to let MAS do this? I think not.

Edited by H Azmal

Question is, as he stated, is the government ready to let MAS do this? I think not.

21690[/snapback]

What we have here, another corruption in airline industry dry.gif Hmm...........too much corruption in Tajuddin era, of course, with the painting all that kind of stuff, someone got to stand up and clean all this mess! laugh.gif

Well, my first post here, kinda awesome, looking forward for my interest here in malaysian aviation forum, thank you........

Abdul Aziz felt that among the factors contributing to the MAS problems today was the stiff competition from a low-cost carrier (LCC) and the lack of support from the Government to the extent that MAS could not afford to compete with the LCC.

21620[/snapback]

This is such a typical melayu mentality, everything must be spoonfed by the government. MAS has been pampered by the government long enough, it's time to stop being a crybaby and start fighting with the big boys of industry players. Kalau macam ni sampai bila pun bangsa takkan maju la... mad.gif

MAS has been getting 'support' from the gov in the sense that official trips by gov officials are to be by MH wherever possible. But since MAS is overwhelmingly owned by the gov for a while now, it should have a representative from the gov in the board of directors. Apparently there is none, as made light in the recent controversy.

The Dep. Minister was reported to have apologized to his peers the following day over a statement on the 'painting as to maintain the status of the company' and 'RM 7525 daily as normal pay for someone in that position in the airline'. He clarified that those were statements given by MAS and not a statement from the ministry.

I'm not sure how much support MAS needs as many Malaysians are already supporting MAS by flying with them. But a recent news report suggesting that MAS intends to raise fares come 1st January 'to reflect its 5-star status' is something hard to swallow. Customers vote for MAS at Airlinequality.com (Skytrax) and now MAS is rewarding them voters by a fare increase. Thank you very much!

Sign in to follow this