MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Greg Wood

Malaysia A/L B738s to Perth in 2009 ????

MH need not look far or to future to gauge pax preference on wide body or narrow body by looking at yield on KUL/BKK, KUL/SIN, KUL/MNL and compare with TG and SQ.

Understand most regular J pax (except GLC) choose to travel TG or SQ on these sectors.

:drinks:

But based from what i heard is there is 50% chances for MAS 737-800s getting IFE now because SIA's A330 is pulling MH costemers for its features .If MAS wants back their pax MAS has to do somethin inovative and soon.I also heard that Brand new From Airbus, A330-300's are coming to replace the current 330's end of this year.According to them Golden Club Class will have the 777 n 747 bizz seats and in Economy class will have ptv or presonal IFE .The orders has not been made public because MAS wants it to make a surprise to the costemers which allways had looked down on MAS for some time.I m not sure of this information but its been runing around .So could any 1 please clear the doubt if it is true ?But i am not sure of the A330-200s caus according the them also the lease contract is going to finish or somethin.The leased 737-800 is for 5 or 6 years .

Regards,

Haansel

Edited by haansel

..... and compare with TG and SQ.

Judging by how things have developed over last 2-3 years, that does not seem to be MH's priority now nor future direction

Trying to cope with AK is nearer the target I fear ;)

..... I also heard that Brand new From Airbus, A330-300's are coming to replace the current 330's end of this year.According to them Golden Club Class will have the 777 n 747 bizz seats and in Economy class will have ptv or presonal IFE .The orders has not been made public because MAS wants it to make a surprise to the costemers which allways looked down on MAS for some time

It would be a marvelous surprise indeed :)

Not sure if the airline industry works that way though, would be an innovative approach par excellence if so

No, don't think customers actually "look down" on MAS as such :)

But based from what i heard is there is 50% chances for MAS 737-800s getting IFE now because SIA's A330 is pulling MH costemers for its features .If MAS wants back their pax MAS has to do somethin inovative and soon.I also heard that Brand new From Airbus, A330-300's are coming to replace the current 330's end of this year.According to them Golden Club Class will have the 777 n 747 bizz seats and in Economy class will have ptv or presonal IFE .The orders has not been made public because MAS wants it to make a surprise to the costemers which allways had looked down on MAS for some time.I m not sure of this information but its been runing around .So could any 1 please clear the doubt if it is true ?But i am not sure of the A330-200s caus according the them also the lease contract is going to finish or somethin.The leased 737-800 is for 5 or 6 years .

Regards,

Haansel

As a regular MH full paying business passenger; It better be true! .... indeed amongst my business circle; the number of businessmen leaving MH for another carrier ( for Business and Leisure) is increasing... and I'm one of them that seriously thinking of doing the same. To All MH Management reading this..... better take action!

MAS is replacing their fleet of old A330 with new birds? That's gonna make alot of people happy. If it's true.

Haven't heard of that, but if it is true I'll be amongst the happiest people here (together with Khaled and Ian Lim)

Regards,

Haansel

I really doubt that will ever materialise in the manner that you potrayed it. Remember that MH is a public listed company and getting a new A330 is not like buying a new set of stationery for Idris Jala.

Given the poor operating climate for airlines globally, with some of MH fleet being parked, this story is possible but not probable. Also, what will happen to the current A330? Just trash them? PMB will get poor values for them and any marginal improvement in operating efficiency in getting new versions of the 330 will be outweighed by the heavy cost of acquisition.

The previous version of this "urban legend" is that the old GCC seats of the 772 & 744 were to be refurbished and used on the A333. Of course, that did not materialise.

If MH management cannot even sort out the J seats in the leased 738, do you think they will now be spent thrift to get new A330s with a fancy cabin?

MH need not look far or to future to gauge pax preference on wide body or narrow body by looking at yield on KUL/BKK, KUL/SIN, KUL/MNL and compare with TG and SQ.

Understand most regular J pax (except GLC) choose to travel TG or SQ on these sectors.

I religiously avoid MH whenever I can, given the poor product.

But based from what i heard is there is 50% chances for MAS 737-800s getting IFE now because SIA's A330 is pulling MH costemers for its features .

Regards,

Haansel

I dont think this is accurate. The A330s, 4 of them, have only been flying to KUL and CGK from SIN. SIA has been pulling away MH customers. period. Not necessarily because of its A330s as these are very very recent additions to its fleet.

And given the confined leg room space on the SQ A330, I personally would prefer MH J on the 772 given the acres of space there. But the overall product. (ground, air, FFP, PTV etc) makes SQ's product offering far superior.

Edited by Mushrif A

Well "new" A330's could very well be a possibility... They could merely be leased from Airbus in a similar fashion to that of the SIA A330's.. I don't see why this could not be a possibility - and a ploy by airbus to attract MAS to commit to ordering A350's ahead of 787's in the future.

And now, especially with the number of airlines deferring aircraft orders and putting production schedules at Airbus and Boeing into "chaos", then I think birds rolling off the factory floor with nowhere to go, may find a home with such lease schemes!!

Well "new" A330's could very well be a possibility... They could merely be leased from Airbus in a similar fashion to that of the SIA A330's.. I don't see why this could not be a possibility - and a ploy by airbus to attract MAS to commit to ordering A350's ahead of 787's in the future.

And now, especially with the number of airlines deferring aircraft orders and putting production schedules at Airbus and Boeing into "chaos", then I think birds rolling off the factory floor with nowhere to go, may find a home with such lease schemes!!

Especially now that Airbus is having problem with the A380 delivery schedule, again.

This story about MH getting new leased A330s later this year, when it is already having surplus widebodies & accountants running the show (& it shows!, positively or negatively), should have been publicised on Wednesday next wk.

This story about MH getting new leased A330s later this year, when it is already having surplus widebodies & accountants running the show (& it shows!, positively or negatively), should have been publicised on Wednesday next wk.

And I have credible information that MH will (or already have) put 3 B744 and 1 A330 on long term storage due to the economic situation. This was verified by Capt Nik H. as well, check one of threads here. So MH leasing new A330 is quite unlikely.

The Lease of new A330's (if it occurs) could be to replace EXISTING A330 aircraft - which may be put into storage or perhaps even sold. They may also be returned to their lessors!

The Lease of new A330's (if it occurs) could be to replace EXISTING A330 aircraft - which may be put into storage or perhaps even sold. They may also be returned to their lessors!

Very unlikely. Not during current economic situation especially. I'll believe it when i see it.

Makes no sense - this is a premature April-1 story.

Come on Sandeep, do the math.

- Why would MH, given that it is driven by accountants, pay new money to replace an existing aircraft of very similar type, so that the existing aircraft can be put into storage? There is a cost of carrying existing aircraft on the books, and leasing new similar aircraft just for the sake of it is just someone's wet dreams.

- Sell existing aircraft? When airlines globally are down, with aircraft put into storage or new deliveries deferred, who would pay serious money for MH existing aircraft so that new aircraft can come in?

- Return to Lessors? Any A333 or 332 due to be returned to lessors are very much more likely to be replaced by 738s, given the load factor and yields prevailing these days, with economic recovery only expected post 2010.

Settle down Mushrif, i'm just making assumptions of scenarios based on what Haansel has said.. I'malso just trying to make sense of what he said regarding these A330's.. As you obviusly know, MAS does not own it's A330 fleet - they are owned by PMB. The lease-contracts for all we know may be coming to an end, and decisions may have been made by the accountants that new aircraft on lease terms with Airbus may deliver a cost benefit - perhaps the result of negotiations on compensation for the Airbus delays.

There could be a number of measures being announced by MAS on April 1 - we only speculate and attempt to use our intellect as to what they may announce.

BTW, using newer A330 aircraft would be of benefit to the airline in operational costs - the accountants know this - a brand new toy costs less to operate than one that's 15 years old. We don't need maths to prove that to anyone, do we?

As long as I get to play with LCD cockpit, I'm more than happy. :)

Sick of the usual dials and gauges, I see... :D

Is there an announcement on the 1st of April by MAS?Is it about the fleet or something els?

Announcement on 1st of April..... I will be very careful. :yahoo: