MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Kwek

Spotting trip to Senai

A friend called me....."Hey, you wanna hop on a Cessna 150 for a short hop across to Senai Airport? I will be there for some flight practice. You interested?"

My reply: "Eh, safe or not? Let me think about it."

Friend: "OK, but let you know that the L1011 there is being strip for spares, you better be quick if you want to take a look before they tear her apart."

Me: "Oh, in that case on lah....how about this weekend?"

Friend: :blink:

So after a short spotting session at Changi Coast Road, I made my way to the rustic Seletar Airport.

A quick CIQ and we were on our way.

Props clear! A turn of the key and a twist of a button, the Cessna 150 came alive. We taxiied for a Runway 21 and was given ATC departure to Senai via Point X-ray and east of JB town at 1500 ft.

You are cleared for take-off... Rolling down the runway...

IMG_6187_c10_c6.jpg

Downwind view of Seletar, which has not change much since the RAF days. This little airfiled has a rich heritage. She was the first civilian airport on Singapore island.

IMG_6196_c10_c6.jpg

Soon we left urbanized Singapore, tracking over the waters to Sembawang harbour and east of JB town for the open wide spaces of Johor. Over the 127.7mhz and then to Johor Approach on 124.7 mhz. Besides taking in the sights (and photos), I had to do all the RTF.

IMG_6203_c10_c6.jpg

I also had a go at the controls for a while. I'm no pilot but the plane seems easy to handle. Just like flight sim...

IMG_6207_c10_c6.jpg

Young and old - nice ground features

IMG_6209_c10_c6.jpg

Soon we found ourselves on downwind looking out for an AirAsia B737 departure on Runway 34. Once she's departed, we were cleared to join base for Runway 16.

IMG_6210_c10_c6.jpg

The runway seems so wide for a light aircraft. A gentle thud and we are on Johor soil. Welcome to Malaysia!

IMG_6214_c10_c6.jpg

After clearing CIQ, I found myself looking down at the Apron from the terminal building........

IMG_6360_c10_c6.jpg

She zipped along rather quickily.....maybe a bit late?

IMG_6362_c10_c6.jpg

Dropped by the Tower to pay navigation charges, and to say hello.

IMG_6369_c10_c6.jpg

With their permission, I took a couple of shots - a different perspective.

I was surprised that the Air Asia B737 parked diagonally across the bay and did not use the aerobridge.

Cost savings I suppose but to me the facility is already there? I wonder how much to pay to use the aerobridge?

IMG_6367_c10_c6.jpg

We had to trek back on foot to the cargo apron.....nice view

IMG_6395_c10_c6.jpg

Nice Fokker 50 for Pieter!

IMG_6407_c10_c6.jpg

The real objective was really the L1011.....without further delay presenting EX-088

IMG_6512_c10_c6.jpg

Close-up of the tail section

IMG_6514_c10_c6.jpg

She was smiling at me!

IMG_6427_c10_c6.jpg

Look at that!

IMG_6425_c10_c6.jpg

After I took this shot, I realise how fortunate I was that the hydraulic liquid did not drop into my eyes.....

IMG_6283_c10_c6.jpg

The guys working on her were very friendly. I asked to get into the aircraft for a walkaround and they duly obliged and arranged for a cherry picker to hoist me up via the rear door.

Inside looking to the front...

IMG_6291_c10_c6.jpg

This is what remained of the cockpit

IMG_6294_c10_c6.jpg

Looking to the rear

IMG_6325_c10_c6.jpg

The toilet doors in retro colours

IMG_6326_c10_c6.jpg

I stayed in the L1011 for quite a while....

Checking out the nooks and corners....there was a trap door that leads to the ground but I did not want to mess up my shirt.

IMG_6314_c10_c6.jpg

Requesting window seat sir!

IMG_6332_c10_c6.jpg

Spotted the tailplanes on the ground

IMG_6327_c10_c6.jpg

Wing view...note the Jumbo at the right. I quickly reposition to another window......

IMG_6316_c10_c6.jpg

3-in-one shot. A light - Cessna 150, a medium - the B727 and a heavy - MAS Jumbo on take-off roll!

IMG_6317b_c10_c6.jpg

The two B727s there XU-RKJ and ZS-TRA attracted some attention as well....

IMG_6304_c10_c6.jpg

IMG_6432_c10_c6.jpg

IMG_6506_c10_c6.jpg

So did the resident An-12

IMG_6435_c10_c6.jpg

IMG_6439_c10_c6.jpg

IMG_6438_c10_c6.jpg

According to the salvage crew, the L1011 will be turned into a restaurant somewhere in Johor.

So there's a silver lining....

Stunning shots, Kwek :clapping:

The L1011 looks so sad (eventho's she smiled..)... :sorry:

Thanks for sharing...

After lunch, I was offered a joyride by some new friends in a Cherokee.

IMG_6493_c10_c6.jpg

IMG_6481_c10_c6.jpg

View slightly differnt - low wing.

IMG_6483_c10_c6.jpg

On finals to land.

IMG_6486_c10_c6.jpg

Re-positioning for the night. Thanks guys!

IMG_6490_c10_c6.jpg

Johor is home to quite a few flying clubs / school.

Here's a selection of photos of the training aircraft based in Senai.

9M-JFA

IMG_6463_c10_c6.jpg

9M-JFC

IMG_6465_c10_c6.jpg

9M-ANA

IMG_6455_c10_c6.jpg

9M-BDL

IMG_6498_c10_c6.jpg

9M-WCF

IMG_6447_c10_c6.jpg

9M-ADA

IMG_6443_c10_c6.jpg

Soon to be 9M-BIG (ex 9V-BIG - the "V" is already removed)

IMG_6444_c10_c6.jpg

amazing quality pictures and stroies of the pictures. I'm really enjoyed while reading. Thank you very much sharing :)

how much did you pay for charges and fees for this flight?

So after a short spotting session at Changi Coast Road, I made my way to the rustic Seletar Airport.

A quick CIQ and we were on our way.

Props clear! A turn of the key and a twist of a button, the Cessna 150 came alive. We taxiied for a Runway 21 and was given ATC departure to Senai via Point X-ray and east of JB town at 1500 ft.

You are cleared for take-off... Rolling down the runway...

IMG_6187_c10_c6.jpg

Enjoyed the pics and story, Kwek :good:. Btw, those AK planes at Seletar. Maintenance?

Btw, I had ridden the L1011 twice - CX for KUL-HKG and SV for JED-MED. Pleasant memories.

Excellent quality pictures, Kwek, and no doubt A.net will be happy to see those 727's and 1011 pictures :good:

(Did you send them in already ? :mellow: )

Yeah, the 150 is a nice little trainer, huh...or do you prefer the Cherokee :huh:

Thanks for sharing: as if I was flying along - really a great trip-report :drinks:

that Mas B744 doing touch and go at JHB? nice trip report.... and nice experience there! Let's go down south to the L1011 restaurant next time for Mwings gathering :p

Kwek,

Very Interesting Shots from Johor.

Nice to see the L1011 and the B727's..

Btw will the 727's be scrapped as well?

that Mas B744 doing touch and go at JHB? nice trip report.... and nice experience there! Let's go down south to the L1011 restaurant next time for Mwings gathering :p

The 744 are probably hajj flights to Saudi (Jeddah or Medinah).

The AK 737s are still being maintained at Seletar. AK even proposed at one time, having pax flights from KUL to Seletar iso Changi.

AK has a maintenance deal with Singapore Technologies Aerospace.

Enjoyed the pics and story, Kwek :good:. Btw, those AK planes at Seletar. Maintenance?

Btw, I had ridden the L1011 twice - CX for KUL-HKG and SV for JED-MED. Pleasant memories.

Edited by Kwek

Yes, she's a haj flight. She's rotated very very late. It was a pity I did not have the right lens on my camera at that moment.

The 744 are probably hajj flights to Saudi (Jeddah or Medinah).

The AK 737s are still being maintained at Seletar. AK even proposed at one time, having pax flights from KUL to Seletar iso Changi.

Hi Pieter,

I'll send them later to A.net....- afterall it takes a long time to vet as well. :-)

As for the preference, I like the Cherokee more as it is more spacious. But for aerial photography may the Cessna's are better as she has a high wing as compared to the Cherokee.

Excellent quality pictures, Kwek, and no doubt A.net will be happy to see those 727's and 1011 pictures :good:

(Did you send them in already ? :mellow: )

Yeah, the 150 is a nice little trainer, huh...or do you prefer the Cherokee :huh:

Thanks for sharing: as if I was flying along - really a great trip-report :drinks:

Sign in to follow this