MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mushrif A

MH's 'Rimba' Regional Golden Lounges at MTB

This will probably be located in the Contact Pier of the MTB, up the esculators near the Aerotrain stop.

"MAS to have new KLIA regional lounge

By Alfean Hardy

Malaysia Airlines (MAS) is to have a new lounge for its first class and business class passengers for its 26 regional flights within a year's time, said its senior general manager customer services Mohd Nadziruddin Md Basri.

The new lounge is expected to augment MAS's current Golden Lounge, which exclusively caters to the national carrier’s domestic and international privileged travellers.

“At the moment, during the peak hours, especially our international flights in the morning and late at night, this lounge cannot accommodate the passenger (traffic),” said Mohd Nadziruddin.

“We are also taking the opportunity to re-divert the passengers to (this) regional lounge so that we have more space here,” he added. He declined to reveal the investment cost for the new lounge.

MAS Golden Lounge global manager Sabry Sharif said the new regional lounge would come in useful when Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) completed the proposed second satellite terminal.

“By 2008, when MAHB’s second satellite is completed and passenger numbers increase, the new lounge will help ease the congestion we have here (at the Golden Lounge) during the peak hours,” said Sabry.

He also said construction on the regional prototype lounge had already begun a few years ago but events following the 9-11 attacks and the resulting slump in airline travel forced MAS to put construction on hold.

Mohd Nadziruddin and Sabry were speaking to reporters at Kuala Lumpur International Airport in Sepang on June 29 following a contract signing ceremony with OSIM Malaysia Sdn Bhd.

The RM200,000 contract, which covers the next two years, sees the health products company providing five iSymphonic massage chairs, five iSqueeze massage units, support services, and a relaxation room for the Golden Lounge.

Mohd Nadziruddin said the new regional lounge would be used as a “prototype lounge” for MAS's 15 other domestic and international lounges.

The airline currently has lounges in Langkawi, Kuching, Kota Kinabalu, Senai, Penang, London, Frankfurt, Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney, Perth, and Los Angeles and is a third party user of other carriers’ lounges in more than 60 countries. "

got astro aaa there??? broadband how many? laptop/desktop?

i saw it on tv just now. the senior GM testing the massage seat. is it osim? or ogawa?

anyway good idea for the new lounge. but i thot the existing lounge at the satelite is very big enough.

got astro aaa there??? broadband how many? laptop/desktop?

i saw it on tv just now. the senior GM testing the massage seat. is it osim? or ogawa?

anyway good idea for the new lounge. but i thot the existing lounge at the satelite is very big enough.

504[/snapback]

I assume the massage seat is osim, given that the contract was with osim.

The satellite lounge is big but is crowded in the mornings, very busy and at times, difficult to find available seats. However, late afternoon, it can be quite deserted.

Forested delight at MAS lounge

The Star, Thursday April 24, 2008

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia Airlines (MAS) launched its new Regional Golden Lounge at the KL International Airport (KLIA) for regional-bound first and business class passengers. The lounge design is based on the Rimba concept with visions of lush foliage, pristine forested valleys and perfect serenity, creating a quiet heaven for customers, said Malaysia Airlines’ deputy chairman Datuk S. Sadasivan.

“The Regional lounge will be where you begin your journey with Malaysia Airlines, and I’m confident that the rest of the journey will be well taken care of by our cabin crew,” he said in encouraging Malaysian Airports Holdings Berhad (MAB) to have more outlets. He added that the RM4mil Regional Lounge had to match the standard of the award-winning KLIA.

The lounge is less than 10 minutes to the departure gates, accommodates 190 passengers and offers a wide range of services and facilities including spa service, reflexology, manicure and pedicure, children’s area, Muslim prayer room, Internet services, hot and cold food and full bar services.

It is open from 5am to 2am daily and Enrich Platinum and Gold Members have access to the lounge regardless of their class of travel. Enrich Silver members can gain access to the lounge when they opt for the Golden Lounge Privilege programme or redeem their Enrich Miles on per-entrance basis.

Award-winning Malaysia Airlines won its latest “Best Economy Class” award in 2006 with 32 domestic and 86 international destinations. KLIA now has three lounges – the Satellite Lounge, Domestic Lounge and the Regional Lounge. The MAS Golden Lounges are also available in Johor Baru, Kota Kinabalu, Kuching, Langkawi and Penang airports. Its International Airport lounges are in Brisbane, Frankfurt, London, Los Angeles, Melbourne, Perth, Singapore and Sydney.

Ok, now. Can anyone show us where is this new Regional Golden Lounge situated? I bet it is located in the Main Terminal Building. What's the definition for Regional? Which route? Can a First or Golden Club Class choose either to go to the Golden Lounge at the Satellite Terminal or this new Regional Lounge? Does this new Regional Lounge separate First and Golden Club Class area like the one in the Satellite Terminal?

Wow ! I'm impressed. The lounge has character and is unique in its own way, just like Virgin's lounge. Thanks for providing the link.

Edited by Isaac

Ok, now. Can anyone show us where is this new Regional Golden Lounge situated? I bet it is located in the Main Terminal Building. What's the definition for Regional? Which route? Can a First or Golden Club Class choose either to go to the Golden Lounge at the Satellite Terminal or this new Regional Lounge? Does this new Regional Lounge separate First and Golden Club Class area like the one in the Satellite Terminal?

Up the escalators to the left of the aerotrain stop at the MTB/ Contact Pier. The prayers rooms are below the escalators. MH really need to do something serious about the signage though.

I wonder how the physically challenged can avail themselves to the lounge?

This lounge is better than the biz side of the satellite lounge, but I still prefer the F side of the satellite lounge - very few pax, better F&B.

“The Regional lounge will be where you begin your journey with Malaysia Airlines, ....."

Still not dealing with the bigger scheme of things - the 'journey' should begin at the check-in counters, where I believe exists extensive scope for improvements. To be really sticky, the complete journey could perhaps start at point of reservation/booking of flights - how about getting the online booking system in proper working order ?

Very nice!

Is Dom Perignon a permanent feature? Or is it time for my alarm clock to ring soon? :pardon:

Might check it out in July if i swing by KUL - KUL-SIN on MH F is decent value for the porter service and now, a nice new lounge without having to walk over to Satellite. :)

Edited by Keith T

Up the escalators to the left of the aerotrain stop at the MTB/ Contact Pier. The prayers rooms are below the escalators. MH really need to do something serious about the signage though.

I wonder how the physically challenged can avail themselves to the lounge?

This lounge is better than the biz side of the satellite lounge, but I still prefer the F side of the satellite lounge - very few pax, better F&B.

It is in MTB. I think it is to catered the business people travelling to international destinations from MTB. Those people cant go to the domestic lounge and were too far to go to the golden lounge in sattelite terminal (have to take the train).

So according to wikipedia, the destinations would be : (can't test its accuracy as it is wikipedia after all)

Alor Star, Bandar Seri Begawan, Bangkok-Suvarnabhumi, Bintulu, Cebu, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City [MH 750 only], Jakarta, Johor Bahru, Kaohsiung [MH86 only], Kota Bharu, Kota Kinabalu, Kuantan, Kuala Terengganu, Kuching, Labuan, Langkawi, Manila [MH702 only], Medan, Miri, Penang, Phuket, Sandakan, Sibu, Singapore, Surabaya, Taipei-Taoyuan [MH68 only], Tawau, Tokyo-Narita [MH80 only], Yangon, Yogyakarta

That's quite a destination. But I believe its quite wasteful to have the third terminal, its not like the Golden Lounge in the satellite is too far, it is still accessible. They could simply use the RM4 million to upgrade their product offering. But instead they "menganaktirikan" the economy class passengers. :( Now the product offering between business class/first class vs economy class is like langit dan bumi (like heavens and earth). Sigh

Alor Star, Bandar Seri Begawan, Bangkok-Suvarnabhumi, Bintulu, Cebu, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City [MH 750 only], Jakarta, Johor Bahru, Kaohsiung [MH86 only], Kota Bharu, Kota Kinabalu, Kuantan, Kuala Terengganu, Kuching, Labuan, Langkawi, Manila [MH702 only], Medan, Miri, Penang, Phuket, Sandakan, Sibu, Singapore, Surabaya, Taipei-Taoyuan [MH68 only], Tawau, Tokyo-Narita [MH80 only], Yangon, Yogyakarta

I believe all these flights operate with B734, therefore having them to travel with train to satellite to enjoy the lounge is not so ideal.

Edited by Seth K

Might check it out in July if i swing by KUL - KUL-SIN on MH F is decent value for the porter service and now, a nice new lounge without having to walk over to Satellite. :)

F is no longer offered by MH or SQ on the SIN/KUL route. Just C, but u still get to use the new regional lounge at KUL if flying MH.

I believe all these flights operate with B734, therefore having them to travel with train to satellite to enjoy the lounge is not so ideal.

It's not so much aircraft-dependent or destination-centric, but where the departure gate is. And now that F is only offered on 744 services, even pax on 772 and 330 services can use the new lounge if the aircraft is parked at the MTB.

Edited by Mushrif A

F is no longer offered by MH or SQ on the SIN/KUL route. Just C, but u still get to use the new regional lounge at KUL if flying MH.

I'd thought only SQ is culling F, but I suppose it makes sense for MH to do the downgrade as well given the joint service. There goes the F porter service....

Edited by Keith T

Thank you Mushrif for the information. Now looks like the nearest and possibly the cheapest destination to fly MH on F is KUL-TPE.

Thank you Mushrif for the information. Now looks like the nearest and possibly the cheapest destination to fly MH on F is KUL-TPE.

MH utilize 744 for HKG during peak season like last December till February. Might as well catch that one :drinks:

I'd thought only SQ is culling F, but I suppose it makes sense for MH to do the downgrade as well given the joint service. There goes the F porter service....

Oh dear - the best VS milleage run is finished sob sob sob

Edited by Robert

Good news!

A quick google search led me to this blog.

http://eiling.blogspot.com/

There are 2 entries, one for the lounge and the other for the launching ceremony. Nice pics too!

Thanks Zaki. So You guys are responsible for the surge of my traffic in my blog. Hope you like the coverage on the opening ceremony.

Actually the Mas Regional Lounge has been there for 6 years but there were no renovations and refurbishment done. Thus no passengers are actually aware of its existense. However, they decided to refurbish it about 1 or 2 years ago because they were blindly paying the rent without fully utilising it. Now they will be renovating the MAS lounge at Heathrow airport soon, using the same Interior designer based on the "oasis" concept.

When you fly on Business and First Class on MH, the check in counter attendant will usually let you know which lounge that you should be going to (domestic, satellite or regional). The Regional Lounge is aimed at passengers flying from the Main Terminal Building, thus mostly are regional flights which I think it's a pity because those who fly from satellite does not get to enjoy the new lounge that is equipped with good view, food, and facilities.

Hi Eiling,

Welcome to MalaysianWings.com!

Thanks for your superb coverage on the Regional Lounge. Very interesting for you to say that the lounge has been there for some time, as i've never recalled seeing it before!

The decor is quite nice, particularly the glass raised flooring with river stones :) very soothing! and the view is undoubtedly the best in KUL!

Thanks Zaki. So You guys are responsible for the surge of my traffic in my blog. Hope you like the coverage on the opening ceremony.

Actually the Mas Regional Lounge has been there for 6 years but there were no renovations and refurbishment done. Thus no passengers are actually aware of its existense. However, they decided to refurbish it about 1 or 2 years ago because they were blindly paying the rent without fully utilising it. Now they will be renovating the MAS lounge at Heathrow airport soon, using the same Interior designer based on the "oasis" concept.

When you fly on Business and First Class on MH, the check in counter attendant will usually let you know which lounge that you should be going to (domestic, satellite or regional). The Regional Lounge is aimed at passengers flying from the Main Terminal Building, thus mostly are regional flights which I think it's a pity because those who fly from satellite does not get to enjoy the new lounge that is equipped with good view, food, and facilities.

Hi eiling, I've enjoyed reading your entries on the new regional lounge! :good: Thank you for sharing us the inside view. Some non-frequent fliers like me will really appreciate the photos of the lounge. I like the 'oasis' concept. By the way, is KLIA the only Regional Golden Lounge which has been fully renovated and refurbished?

I even went and search for Fidani's chocolates, and I must say.. yumm... :D

That is quite a news to me. No wonder... keep bleeding, keep keep bleeding... money! May I know who is the interior designer? Local or foreign firm?

Edit: By the way, welcome to MalaysianWings eiling. Very impressive first reply/post too.

Edited by Mohd Azizul Ramli

That is quite a news to me. No wonder... keep bleeding, keep keep bleeding... money! May I know who is the interior designer? Local or foreign firm?

Edit: By the way, welcome to MalaysianWings eiling. Very impressive first reply/post too.

Hey, thanks. I'm still a newbie in this because I don't know much about aviation and its operations however I am dealing with the duty free businesses in the airports.

The interior designer is RYO http://www.ryo.com.my. They will also be the designers for the Heathrow Airport. They're a local firm. Impressive.

Hey Irni,

Thanks for your compliments. You will soon find Fidani Chocolates in the First Class Lounge and hopefully in stages the Business Class Lounge will carry them too. We are also on board the MAS Temptations In Flight shopping catalogue. Look out for it!

I think the Regional Lounge is the first to be renovated at this moment and they will soon be looking into the refurbishment of other lounges.

Hi Eiling,

Welcome to MalaysianWings.com!

Thanks for your superb coverage on the Regional Lounge. Very interesting for you to say that the lounge has been there for some time, as i've never recalled seeing it before!

The decor is quite nice, particularly the glass raised flooring with river stones :) very soothing! and the view is undoubtedly the best in KUL!

Hey Sandeep,

Thanks. The floor is nice but I always see people tripped over the raised flooring. Nice but have to be careful!

Hey Irni,

Thanks for your compliments. You will soon find Fidani Chocolates in the First Class Lounge and hopefully in stages the Business Class Lounge will carry them too. We are also on board the MAS Temptations In Flight shopping catalogue. Look out for it!

Have already been inducted as a fan of Fidani Chocolates since they started being available for sale via Temptations. Love them. Are they being sold overseas as well at the moment ?

Welcome to MW, eiling. :)

Would you happen to know what champagne will be served in the new lounge? Will Dom Perignon be a regular feature? :p If yes I'm deffo swinging by KUL just to have a look at the new lounge!

TIA. :)

Edited by Keith T