MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mushrif A

MH's 'Rimba' Regional Golden Lounges at MTB

Thanks Zaki. So You guys are responsible for the surge of my traffic in my blog. Hope you like the coverage on the opening ceremony.

:drinks:

As others have said, good job there, Eiling! Please do keep us updated and welcome to Mwings. I am quite a newbie too but I can assure you that there are so much you could learn here!

Welcome to MW, eiling. :)

Would you happen to know what champagne will be served in the new lounge? Will Dom Perignon be a regular feature? :p If yes I'm deffo swinging by KUL just to have a look at the new lounge!

TIA. :)

I only know that the DP served the other day was the beverage supplier's own collection at the lounge but if you really want to know, I'll call him up to check. I think first class do serve DP because the Chairman himself would request for it.

Have already been inducted as a fan of Fidani Chocolates since they started being available for sale via Temptations. Love them. Are they being sold overseas as well at the moment ?

Hey Sing Yew,

Thanks for supporting Fidani. It's not available overseas yet but it's in plan because I'll be exhibiting in the coming Tax Free Asia Pacific in Singapore next month where all the duty free goods supplier will congregate and meet up with the buyers and airport retailers.

Honestly, the Fidani available on board is RM2 cheaper than the shops. I'll be proposing some new items into the mag soon.

I only know that the DP served the other day was the beverage supplier's own collection at the lounge but if you really want to know, I'll call him up to check. I think first class do serve DP because the Chairman himself would request for it.

Would be great if you could do that, but don't bother if it's too much hassle. :)

FWIW SQ is only serving Charles Heidsieck Mis En Cave in F. :( Same champagne as the J side. A great champagne for J, but I do expect something nicer for F.

I think first class do serve DP because the Chairman himself would request for it.

:blink: :rolleyes: Interesting.

Welcome to MW Eiling!

Welcome to MW, eiling. :)

Would you happen to know what champagne will be served in the new lounge? Will Dom Perignon be a regular feature? :p If yes I'm deffo swinging by KUL just to have a look at the new lounge!

TIA. :)

DP will only be a permanent feature at the Platinum Lounge (MAS Golden Lounge in Satellite Building) for Platinum Enrich members. It is also served on board of MAS First Class only. Not even Business Class. However, depending "who" you are, you can put in a special request I think. Haha...

DP will only be a permanent feature at the Platinum Lounge (MAS Golden Lounge in Satellite Building) for Platinum Enrich members. It is also served on board of MAS First Class only. Not even Business Class. However, depending "who" you are, you can put in a special request I think. Haha...

Very nice - this puts them WAY ahead of the Silver Kris Lounge in SIN! :good:

Alas I don't even have basic membership of Enrich so I'd settle for Moet NV (or whatever's served to us plebs). :sorry:

Thanks, eiling, for supplying this info. :)

Edited by Keith T

:blink: :rolleyes: Interesting.

Effectively confirming all those "buffet table" talk of many many months ago, huh?

Actually the Mas Regional Lounge has been there for 6 years but there were no renovations and refurbishment done. Thus no passengers are actually aware of its existense. However, they decided to refurbish it about 1 or 2 years ago because they were blindly paying the rent without fully utilising it. Now they will be renovating the MAS lounge at Heathrow airport soon, using the same Interior designer based on the "oasis" concept.

When you fly on Business and First Class on MH, the check in counter attendant will usually let you know which lounge that you should be going to (domestic, satellite or regional). The Regional Lounge is aimed at passengers flying from the Main Terminal Building, thus mostly are regional flights which I think it's a pity because those who fly from satellite does not get to enjoy the new lounge that is equipped with good view, food, and facilities.

I think you meant that the "space" allocated for a lounge as opposed to there being a lounge hidden from view. And correction - I was aware of that space some years ago, when I researched where those escalators lead to. Note that there's another set of escalators at the other side. But, MH should do something about the signage - they are doing their very best to keep it hidden. In fact, the logo/ name of the lounge should be placed on the walls to the right of the escalator for all to see, as opposed to placing it behind the podium at the top, where one cannot really see it from one floor down. And that wooden stand at the foot of the escalator is so tacky. (But this is MH we're talking about.)

As for lounge access, there is no real rule, but more for convenience. I've used the satellite lounge when my gate is at the MTB (this is despite the check-in folk telling me where I "should" go), and vice-versa.

Effectively confirming all those "buffet table" talk of many many months ago, huh?

I think you meant that the "space" allocated for a lounge as opposed to there being a lounge hidden from view. And correction - I was aware of that space some years ago, when I researched where those escalators lead to. Note that there's another set of escalators at the other side. But, MH should do something about the signage - they are doing their very best to keep it hidden. In fact, the logo/ name of the lounge should be placed on the walls to the right of the escalator for all to see, as opposed to placing it behind the podium at the top, where one cannot really see it from one floor down. And that wooden stand at the foot of the escalator is so tacky. (But this is MH we're talking about.)

As for lounge access, there is no real rule, but more for convenience. I've used the satellite lounge when my gate is at the MTB (this is despite the check-in folk telling me where I "should" go), and vice-versa.

I stand to be corrected but I will defend to the death your right to say it. Since you're so clear of the whole event, can I say that you're working for them? You have been hiding your profile but then again you have the right to do so. Thanks for the info. I'll do my own research later when I am free.

I stand to be corrected but I will defend to the death your right to say it. Since you're so clear of the whole event, can I say that you're working for them? You have been hiding your profile but then again you have the right to do so. Thanks for the info. I'll do my own research later when I am free.

No, I'm not working for MAB or MAS...I'm just an ardent observer. If you know the folks running the place, can you tell to improve the signage? At the moment, they are doing their very best to hide the new lounge. (or is it MAB at fault here? Takes too long to execute a request from MAS?).

I think MAS still has that "wow" factor wrt its lounges. SQ's new lounge at T3 in SIN, was just "pedestrian". One expects a bit more from SQ, especially with its flagship lounge.

SQ's new lounge at T3 in SIN, was just "pedestrian". One expects a bit more from SQ, especially with its flagship lounge.

Not to mention the removal of Dom Perignon - now F and J sides have the SAME champagne.

The DP was the only thing worth spending time in the SKL F for, and I could overlook the subpar facilities for that.

However best Flounge in the world I have ever experienced is still LH's FRA First Class Terminal, followed by QF's new SYD and MEL Flounges.

Not to mention the removal of Dom Perignon - now F and J sides have the SAME champagne.

The DP was the only thing worth spending time in the SKL F for, and I could overlook the subpar facilities for that.

However best Flounge in the world I have ever experienced is still LH's FRA First Class Terminal, followed by QF's new SYD and MEL Flounges.

Wow you really love DP don't you. So have you ever finish the whole bottle by yourselves? The only champagne that I have tasted so far has been only DP so I don't really know how to appreciate good champagne.

Wow you really love DP don't you. So have you ever finish the whole bottle by yourselves? The only champagne that I have tasted so far has been only DP so I don't really know how to appreciate good champagne.

I've finished quite a few bottles of champagne whilst flying. :p If you've read my TRs you'd realise that I have a preference for champagnes and wines over other booze. Last time flying QF business SIN-LHR, my friend and I managed to drink the upper deck dry of champagne (Charles Heidsieck Mis En Cave 2003). The very good-humoured QF crew member was egging us on and even went downstairs to fetch more bottles of the CH. :p

DP is one of the many great champagnes of the world, but my absolute faves are Belle Epoque (Perrier Jouet), Winston Churchill (Pol Roger) and anything from the house of Charles Heidsieck. And though it's not a label that many consider to be amongst the top ends, I love Charles Heidsieck Blanc des Millenaires which QF sometimes serves in F (amongst Krug, DP and Piper Heidsieck Rare).

I do have to admit DP gets sickly sweet after a while, but hey I won't turn it down if offered. :p

For a good value, 'everyday' champagne - go check out Charles Heidsieck MEC, Pol Roger NV or Billecart-Salmon NV. :good:

Edited by Keith T

I've finished quite a few bottles of champagne whilst flying. :p If you've read my TRs you'd realise that I have a preference for champagnes and wines over other booze. Last time flying QF business SIN-LHR, my friend and I managed to drink the upper deck dry of champagne (Charles Heidsieck Mis En Cave 2003). The very good-humoured QF crew member was egging us on and even went downstairs to fetch more bottles of the CH. :p

DP is one of the many great champagnes of the world, but my absolute faves are Belle Epoque (Perrier Jouet), Winston Churchill (Pol Roger) and anything from the house of Charles Heidsieck. And though it's not a label that many consider to be amongst the top ends, I love Charles Heidsieck Blanc des Millenaires which QF sometimes serves in F (amongst Krug, DP and Piper Heidsieck Rare).

I do have to admit DP gets sickly sweet after a while, but hey I won't turn it down if offered. :p

For a good value, 'everyday' champagne - go check out Charles Heidsieck MEC, Pol Roger NV or Billecart-Salmon NV. :good:

Hey Keith, Thanks for your enlightenment on champagne. I checked it out and i do like the Perrier Jouet flowery bottles! Not sure bout the taste but am liking the bottle already. i do have to say that the labels don't look as impressive as DP's label. I like the simplicity of it. Hope I'll get a chance to try those bottles you mentioned.

Hey Keith, Thanks for your enlightenment on champagne. I checked it out and i do like the Perrier Jouet flowery bottles! Not sure bout the taste but am liking the bottle already. i do have to say that the labels don't look as impressive as DP's label. I like the simplicity of it. Hope I'll get a chance to try those bottles you mentioned.

Oh yes another reason I like Belle Epoque - the V nice bottle. :p

Agreed that DP bottle is cool, nicer than Krug even though Krug is the better beverage IMO.

Edited by Keith T

Wow, very nice photography by phaleesy. And even nicer to read those comments from SQ's fans.

As Mushrif pointed out, the location of the Regional Lounge is slightly hidden and there is inadeaquate signage to direct passengers to this lounge.

I was travelling through the MTB to CGK on 5 May recently and managed to trace the Lounge. After passing the aircraft models display, with your head facing the aerotrain station, turn left and you will see the signage.

DSC05258.jpg

Take the elevator and the Lounge is up there.

DSC05259-1.jpg

I was travelling through the MTB to CGK on 5 May recently and managed to trace the Lounge. After passing the aircraft models display, with your head facing the aerotrain station, turn left and you will see the signage.

DSC05258.jpg

Take the elevator and the Lounge is up there.

DSC05259-1.jpg

I take it you were travelling in Y then? Anway, MH should put up an arch-like sign before the escalators, to let people know where the lounge is. Just like the signs before the escalators in the public area in the MTB. Right now, the signage is far too conservative.

I wondered how the physically-challenged or parents with baby push-chairs get access to the lounge?

Although I cannot understand the investment for this new place given that it is not in harmony with "leisure-focused, business interested" gameplan, nevertheless it is a nice lounge, tastefully done. I think on this one, MH trumps SQ - the new SQ lounge at its T3 is soooo mundane, quite pedestrian...the new MH lounge is like a nice home-cooked rendang, painstakingly done by a mom with the best & fresh ingredients....the new SQ lounge is like mass-produced McRendang - efficient, functional, does the job but does not leave a good lasting impression.

Edited by Mushrif A

I take you were travelling in Y then?

Yes, I was travelling in EYCL. No snackbox to CGK, I was surprise. Remember, there was a question whether CGK is a snackbox route or not being asked by Jani I think, apparently it is not. After 8 consecutive EYCL flights with MH (from 22 december 2007) and being served with the snackboxes (with 8 different snackboxes' content all together), I finally managed to get a hotmeal! What a feeling hahaha...

Tried the MH Regional Business Class Lounge lat Thursday.

Very nice indeed. Ample seats, cozy environment, classy furniture, good view of the satellite terminal, lots of food and drinks to choose from (not bad quality), massage centre, luxurious washrooms.

Really enjoyed my 1 hour plus there... :)

BTw, does anyone know the status of the MH lounge at BKI, since this was located at the far end of the old terminal that has since lost its aerobridges? Is the lounge still open, or have they moved to the new wing?

I just picked this up from business traveller.

If its a duplicate thread please close this

Published: 04/06/2008

Business Traveller caught a glimpse of what premium customers can expect at Malaysia Airlines’ forthcoming T4 lounge next year.

The carrier is due to move to Heathrow’s T4 in mid 2009, and will offer business and first class passengers facilities based on the recently-opened regional lounge at Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA).

The new space at KLIA has been created with buzz words “natural” and “effortless” in mind, and features a light decor with materials such as sandstone, marble and driftwood. A new addition is the dedicated Noodle Bar, which will serve a variety of fresh noodle dishes throughout the day.

Wifi internet access, a business centre, showers and a nursery will all make an appearance in the new-style lounges, but the T4 area will not get spa facilities due to the difficulty in obtaining planning permission.

Heathrow will be the first to see the new lounge concept outside of Malaysia, with the facilities at Perth and Hong Kong airports also due for a revamp.

Meanwhile MAS has announced profits of RM 120 million (£19 million) for the first quarter of 2008. The results are the continuing fruits of the airline’s Business Transformation Plan, which has seen the carrier recover from record losses of RM 620 million (£98 million) in 2006, to post seven consecutive quarters of profit.

The turnaround has been achieved in part by the culling of its unprofitable routes, including Manchester – Kuala Lumpur which the carrier pointed out would have needed to operate at 140 per cent capacity just to break even. The airline's proposed new Gatwick-KL route (see online news January 9) will also not now go ahead.

MAS admitted that it faced a tough challenge this year with fuel costs continuing to soar, but pointed out that it has hedged 43 per cent of its fuel for 2008 at US$89, well below the current US$126 price.

Regarding the possibility of MAS joining one of the main airline alliances, the carrier said its preference has been to pursue code-sharing partnerships with individual airlines such as China Southern Airlines and the recently signed “memorandum of understanding” with Etihad.

MAS also announced the purchase of 55 Boeing 737-800s earlier this year, and will begin receiving the first of six A380 superjumbos in 2011.

For more information visit malaysiaairlines.com.

Report by Mark Caswell

I think for MH to adopt the 'Rimbun' concept of KUL's Regional Golden Lounge to all other Golden Lounges throughout the world is a great idea because that lounge so far has left nothing but amazement to even the most sceptic of MH's critic. The new lounge at LHR T4 should give VS' Clubhouse and BA's Lounge a very serious threat.

However, having a great lounge is only part of the game. MH need to have a great first and business class products onboard to match it. Comparing what MH have now with that of SQ's, I think we are so lacking behind in hardware, innovation, catering, in fact on almost all aspects.

Edit: I don't know that MH has a Golden Lounge in HKG or was it a typo? Great if MH want to operate one in HKG. 3 daily flights (2 ex KUL, 1 ex BKI) are sufficient to justify a lounge in that mega airport, I suppose. Whatever it is, I hope this move is derived from pure business driven profit oriented decision.

Edited by Mohd Azizul Ramli

Any news/hope that the redeveloped BKI will feature the new lounge concept ?

Not that it matters a jot to cheapo flyers like yours truly here :)