MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
alberttky

Chaos at KLIA2 as pilots down with flu

PETALING JAYA: Hundreds of passengers were left stranded at KL International Airport 2 in Sepang after AirAsia pilots reported sick on Tuesday.

Some flights were cancelled, others delayed forcing the passengers to spend the night at the airport.

While most affected flights were local, an international flight reported to have been cancelled was to Bangkok's Don Meuang Airport.

AirAsia CEO Tan Sri Tony Fernandes said at least 12 pilots came down with flu.

The flights schedule became chaotic after flights were re-timed. Some passengers were told that their flights were moved to other flights but were later cancelled.

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2015/12/02/air-asia-flights-chaos/

Are the pilots really down with flu? Or it's a convenient excuse?

Is it flu season now? Or is it "flu"?

Chances are that there is more behind the story.

Here is an interesting "inside" story... Sorry, just can find it in Malay language

http://www.siakapkeli.my/2015/12/sumber-dedah-13-pilot-airasia-selsema.html

Highlights:

"Ramai yang bosan kerja di sini. Jadi banyak ambil cuti sakit untuk membuktikan sesuatu. 13 juruterbang jatuh sakit dan syarikat bakal rebah," kata sumber itu.

Ramai juruterbang tidak berpuas hati dengan persekitaran kerja dalam AirAsia dan cara mereka melayan juruterbang dan anak kapal( bekerja terlalu keras) dan ada fleksibiliti.

"Mereka terlalu letih tetapi terpaksa bekerja lebih masa atau gaji terpaksa menerima gaji yang sedikit, pihak pengurusan sebelum ini ada menaikkan sedikit gaji tetapi amsih jauh dengan gaji yang ditawarkan berbanding dengan syarikat penerbangan lain," kata sumber kepada Malaysiakinidan KiniBiz."

Edited by J. Suri

Apparently some of the pilots are overworked and AK has cut down a lot of allowance n benefits. They also fly more often than our 738 pilots(who are also on the knife's edge by MAB cost cutting scheme) in the region but hours, sector and basic pay combined is still among the lowest. Some are called during off duty in the mid night on the last minute. There's definitely some contempt with the management However i'm not sure is this related to the 13 pilots reported sick news.

I think AirAsia's explosive growth rate over the past few years has hit its plateau. The Group is showing classic traits of how some big companies imploded when staff are being stretched too thin with too much workload.

Hope TF and his leadership team can get on the ground and hear the growling sentiment 9if any).

Edited by JuliusWong

I think AirAsia's explosive growth rate over the past few years has hit its plateau. The Group is showing classic traits of how some big companies imploded when staff are being stretched too thin with too much workload.

Hope TF and his leadership team can get on the ground and hear the growling sentiment 9if any).

I tend to agree with you - they have expanded far and wide but their HR resources and management talent needs to buck up and catch up. Airasia Group's service quality is not consistent throughout. There are some places where it is good and in others, it is horrible. They need more consistency in their performance.

Sign in to follow this