MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

Cheapest way from KUL to NZ (AKL/CHC)

I wonder what's the cheapest way to get from KUL to NZ (either AKL or CHC), say in August. Considering these 1-stop options:

1) KUL-SIN with AK, then get one of those cheap direct fares from SIN to NZ.

2) KUL-OOL wih AKX, then Jetstar/PacificBlue from OOL to NZ.

3) KUL-Aust with Jetstar, then Aust-NZ with Jetstar/PacificBlue.

4) ???

Thanks.

A case of you pay for what you get. So long as you don't get 763's V8-RBK or -RBL you should be fine, as these two a/c arent fitted with the newer interior product (PTV's, etc).

Remember, not to go through on other peoples opinions, what they hate, you may love and the inconsitencies found in airlines now-a-days this is extremely relevant!

AK to OOL, then JQ to CHC would be fairly cheap I would imagine.

Alternatively a cheaper alternative would be to swim...hehehe

Edited by Liam Gibb

A case of you pay for what you get. So long as you don't get 763's V8-RBK or -RBL you should be fine, as these two a/c arent fitted with the newer interior product (PTV's, etc).

AK to OOL, then JQ to CHC would be fairly cheap I would imagine.

Hehehe thanks ... bottom line, price. Don't care about amenities. Even long-haul, I just read or sleep or day-dream. Never bothered with anything else. Break in OOL would be nice too. Can drive up to the Sunshine Coast. :)

Naim, how about Thai Airways and Emirates? If you go TG, obviously BKK stop is a must. Going EK means SIN or BNE stops required?

At the moment, I have heard Royal Brunei is the cheapest, but having said that my friends have flown QF and SQ to AKL as well.

The advantage with SQ and EK is, you can fly into AKL and depart from CHC (or vice versa) as both carriers serves both destinations. With QF they cover WLG to BNE, SYD and MEL too.

I am leaving on 23 June 08 to Melbourne, hope to see you before I leave if you are definitely coming this way!

Alternatively a cheaper alternative would be to swim...hehehe

Hmm... sure it is a nice and relaxing swim across the shark infested Tasman Sea

Edited by S V Choong

Naim, how about Thai Airways and Emirates? If you go TG, obviously BKK stop is a must. Going EK means SIN or BNE stops required?

Thanks for tips, SV. Yes there's SQ with open-jaw, can arr AKL and dep CHC. At the moment the plan is still at the drawing board, but either in July or August. The idea is to land somewhere in NZ, drive around for a week or so, and leave. :D

Royal brunei or as my friend would say "Lauya brunei". 1295.00 BND in August. He wasn;t very impressed by them.

Yupp, to my knowledge many east malaysian are taking advantage of the cheap fares offered by RBA to Orient, Australia and London.

Naim,

Nothing wrong with the BI inflight-service; always had good flights with them in the past, however, heard they have hefty delays lately :(

Also, schedule is really lousy (see below):

- 26APR 123456. 1320 KUL 1545 BWN BI 874 319 JCY 0

27APR 25MAY 1....67 1320 KUL 1545 BWN BI 874 320 JCY 0

27APR 25MAY .2345.. 1320 KUL 1545 BWN BI 874 319 JCY 0

- 31MAY .2.4.6. 1200 BWN *0255 AKL BI 071 763 JCY 1

So, almost 24 hour layover at BWN (will BI pay for your HOTAC ?) and also arriving 3am wouldn't be my piece-of-cake personally :blink:

Taking D7 to OOL (or JQ to SYD) and then by DJ or JQ to NZ is a good choice since you can visit 2 countries in one go.

However bear in mind that you have to pay Australian International Departure Taxes twice, which cost a lot!

If you intend to visit NZ only, i guess BI is the cheapest ex-M'sia.

Sometimes they offer very special 'BlueSky' fares via their website.

~or~ If you go to their office (or travel agents), they sometimes have 'Buy Now, Pay Less' fares & GV2/GV4 fares.

Cheers! :drinks:

Edited by Andi C

Taking D7 to OOL (or JQ to SYD) and then by DJ or JQ to NZ is a good choice since you can visit 2 countries in one go.

However bear in mind that you have to pay Australian International Departure Taxes twice, which cost a lot!

Thanks, Andi, useful stuff re:BI. Good point about paying 2x Aussie departure taxes. No, Aust is not critical, can skip - lived there for 7+ yrs!

Royal brunei or as my friend would say "Lauya brunei". 1295.00 BND in August. He wasn;t very impressed by them.

haha, "lauya" brunei! That's a good one, makes me laugh!!!

Naim,

I agreed with Liam, you need to experience the airline yourself. I heard so many horrible stories about BI, but I flew with them twice in the past 12 months, and I haven't had any problem with them (touchwood!). If price is the main concern and you are flexible with the dates (BI only flies to Auckland three times a week), you should give them a go. Looking at the BI timetable, layover in BWN for KUL - AKL both ways isn't that bad. In fact it is only 40 minutes on the way back!! Oh, btw, if your transit time in BWN is more than 4 hours, you can either join a free city tour or get a complimentary meal at the airport.

If you are a bit more 'adventurous' you can even consider flying out from BKI. Their ex-BKI fare is unbelievably good value. At the moment KUL-AKL is priced at B$1,423 (RM3,300) all in, whereas BKI-AKL 14-day return is B$866 (RM2,000). That's a difference of RM1,100! :blink: This is more than enough to cover a cheap AK ticket on KUL-BKI and back plus a night stay in a 4* downtown hotel (I am assuming you are travelling in pairs). Get some nice seafood before heading south! ;)

There is a catch though. BI is a dry airline, so if you are expecting free booze, find another airline!

Can we expect another trippie on AK & BI from you, Dr. ? :pardon:

Off topic:

I am just wondering if there is any Malaysian/SE Asian internet based travel agency where you can just search your flight, find the cheapest option and then proceed with an online booking? Something like expedia.com

I've come across Asiatravelmart.com. Looks like they have some pretty good deals but the search engine is crap.

Edited by zaki

Doctor, one thing to bear in mind if you are driving in New Zealand.... the ferry across the Cook Strait that separates North and South Islands from Wellington to Picton does not come cheaply.

http://www.interislander.co.nz/

Bear in mind the New Zealand driving rule (especially the turning rules at intersection - left turning vehicles are obliged to give way to right turning vehicles).

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/overseasdrivers/driving-in-nz.html

Scenery on the interislander is stunning though. Wind was bloody strong too. :p Had a grand time standing on the viewing platform in winter. Wished the trip was slightly longer. :)

If you are a bit more 'adventurous' you can even consider flying out from BKI. Their ex-BKI fare is unbelievably good value. At the moment KUL-AKL is priced at B$1,423 (RM3,300) all in, whereas BKI-AKL 14-day return is B$866 (RM2,000). That's a difference of RM1,100! :blink: This is more than enough to cover a cheap AK ticket on KUL-BKI and back plus a night stay in a 4* downtown hotel (I am assuming you are travelling in pairs). Get some nice seafood before heading south! ;)

There is a catch though. BI is a dry airline, so if you are expecting free booze, find another airline!

Excellent pointers there, sir. Planning to go with ma'am, time no big issue as long as in Jul/Aug. And us being dry ourselves, a dry carrier is ideal. :D

Can we expect another trippie on AK & BI from you, Dr. ? :pardon:

Hehehe ... still on the drawing board lah. But believe it or not, we spent years in Aust in the 80s, but never made it across to NZ. Maybe this year we should do it.

Doctor, one thing to bear in mind if you are driving in New Zealand.... the ferry across the Cook Strait that separates North and South Islands from Wellington to Picton does not come cheaply.

http://www.interislander.co.nz/

Good point. Maybe pick a car at AKL, spend 4-5 days in Nth Island, then catch Pacific Blue AKL/CHC to explore Sth Island.

Bear in mind the New Zealand driving rule (especially the turning rules at intersection - left turning vehicles are obliged to give way to right turning vehicles).

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/overseasdrivers/driving-in-nz.html

Same mantra in Australia. Give way to the right! :)

Off topic:

I am just wondering if there is any Malaysian/SE Asian internet based travel agency where you can just search your flight, find the cheapest option and then proceed with an online booking? Something like expedia.com

I've come across Asiatravelmart.com. Looks like they have some pretty good deals but the search engine is crap.

I tried to collate such info once. See:

http://www.malaysianwings.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6935

I was curious how cheap connecting with LCC's could go.

And since you plan to go in August, some cheap fares out there. It looks interesting, if I had plenty of time, I'd think about doing them, stop for a day or 2 at the connecting places, perhaps take direct home? Anyways, ALL fares that I'm quoting are including taxes and surcharges.

Air Asia KUL-OOL 898.00 MYR

Jetstar OOL-CHC 613.390 MYR

Total 1511.39

take the QR train from Nerang Station, Gold Coast up to Brisbane Airport (it's a direct train, with luggage racks)

Virgin Blue BNE-AKL 704.584 MYR

Total 1602.584

Air Asia KUL-SIN 122.50 MYR (or cheaper, you could take a bus/KTM)

Tiger Air SIN-MEL 844.782 MYR

Virgin Blue MEL-AKL 1,029.11 MYR

Total 1996.39

Jetstar KUL-SYD $1,124.36

Virgin Blue SYD-BNE Pacific Blue BNE-AKL 881.638 MYR

Total 2005.998

As for RBA, they do offer cheap flights, but I'm wary of them. Connection timings are bad, I've spent 7 hours bored out of my mind at BWN airport and the connecting flight to Aus departed late because they were waiting for more connecting passengers from another flight, also my flight with them was red eye, same as yours as pieter has shown, arrival at 0255. But, they are cheap.

take the QR train from Nerang Station, Gold Coast up to Brisbane Airport (it's a direct train, with luggage racks)

Total 1602.584

Prepare to pay extra 40 AUD (RM120) for the connecting taxi to the station, as the station is not near the airport. Plus, add AUD 24.70 for the train tix (RM74).

So TOTAL = RM1797

I was curious how cheap connecting with LCC's could go.

And since you plan to go in August, some cheap fares out there. It looks interesting, if I had plenty of time, I'd think about doing them, stop for a day or 2 at the connecting places, perhaps take direct home? Anyways, ALL fares that I'm quoting are including taxes and surcharges.

Total 1511.39

Total 1602.584

Air Asia KUL-SIN 122.50 MYR (or cheaper, you could take a bus/KTM)

Tiger Air SIN-MEL 844.782 MYR

Virgin Blue MEL-AKL 1,029.11 MYR

Total 1996.39

Jetstar KUL-SYD $1,124.36

Virgin Blue SYD-BNE Pacific Blue BNE-AKL 881.638 MYR

Total 2005.998

As for RBA, they do offer cheap flights, but I'm wary of them. Connection timings are bad, I've spent 7 hours bored out of my mind at BWN airport and the connecting flight to Aus departed late because they were waiting for more connecting passengers from another flight, also my flight with them was red eye, same as yours as pieter has shown, arrival at 0255. But, they are cheap.

Another possibility is to fly from SYD to AKL with Aerolineas Argentinas. Their one-way fares are usually around the A$ 230 mark all inclusive.

At the moment KUL-AKL is priced at B$1,423 (RM3,300) all in, whereas BKI-AKL 14-day return is B$866 (RM2,000). That's a difference of RM1,100!

I just found out I can't do maths! :rofl:

Total 1511.39

Good price there, Mohd! KUL-OOL and back for RM898 all in is unbelievably cheap!!!

As for RBA... Connection timings are bad

Just an update - under BI enhanced summer schedule effective 01 June 2008, Auckland will receive a daily service (up from three times a week). Some flights are non-stop and they do not arrive/depart at wee hours :good:

Bandar Seri Begawan - Auckland

1,3,5,7 BI071 1115/0200+1 1 stop BNE

2,4,6 BI077 1930/0835+1 Nonstop

Auckland - Bandar Seri Begawan

1,2,4,6 BI078 0315/0930 Nonstop

3,5,7 BI072 0940/1720 1 stop BNE

A big improvement especially for connection to/from KUL. Can check connection from the BI website

Edited by H C Chai

Another possibility is to fly from SYD to AKL with Aerolineas Argentinas. Their one-way fares are usually around the A$ 230 mark all inclusive.

Aerolineas Argentina flies their A340-200 (ex-Philippine Airlines birds and leased to Cathay Pacifc for a while before sold off) between EZE - AKL - SYD.

LAN Chile also flies SYD-AKL vice versa for a cheap deal. I paid my last trip for NZD$115 incl. tax per way last November.

Edited by S V Choong

Oh... Emirates & Lan Chile also flies Trans Tasman (i.e. between Australia & New Zealand) :clapping:

LAN Chile also flies SYD-AKL vice versa for a cheap deal. I paid my last trip for NZD$115 incl. tax per way last November.

Beware of the Insomniacs' Express on the return... :pardon: Regardless of how cheap a fare is, it is not enough to get me up voluntarily at that hour.

I'm dreading an 0630 departure I'm forced to take this July. :(

I'd pay a little more for a full service carrier and a single ticket all the way. And there's more to flying full service airlines than onboard service.

Rather and more importantly, full service carriers tend to have better contingencies during irregular ops. You leave yourself unprotected from irregular ops or in the event of misconnects and it could turn out to be an extremely expensive venture by booking flights from different airlines on separate tickets. Or maybe find travel insurance that covers this...

By being able to book everything on one ticket with full service carriers, you'd have more chance of being rebooked, even on to other carriers in the event of irregular ops or misconnects. And no penalties.

QF once held a plane for 30 mins so that myself and some other pax on a late incoming could make our connection, SQ rebooked me on to next available flight with accomodation in SIN paid for when I missed my connection due to a later flight. Numerous, similar experiences with a whole range of airlines, especially in the US. Would've been costly paying for brand new tickets had I misconnected on LCCs, or even traveled on separate itineraries.

I'd look into the BI fares.

Edited by Keith T

Would agree with you Keith. Our AKL-SYD flight with LAN departed at 5:45am (daylight saving "ON" hours)... Virtually a sleepless night for us!!