MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

Cheapest way from KUL to NZ (AKL/CHC)

Thanks for tip, SV, but since we are now doing Queenstown - Milford Sound by coach, we have to give this a miss. Maybe will try the Waitomo worms instead. As spectacular as the Kuala Selangor fireflies?

Haven't seen the Kuala Selangor fireflies before. Unable to do a comparison. However, Waitomo Caves are much better I heard. There are two caves there... Waitomo and Ruakuri

http://www.waitomo.com/waitomo-glowworm-caves.aspx

Try not to stay at the Waitomo Caves hotel.... rumoured to be haunted, it was even on TV once

http://www.waitomocaveshotel.co.nz/

Haven't seen the Kuala Selangor fireflies before. Unable to do a comparison. However, Waitomo Caves are much better I heard. There are two caves there... Waitomo and Ruakuri

http://www.waitomo.com/waitomo-glowworm-caves.aspx

Try not to stay at the Waitomo Caves hotel.... rumoured to be haunted, it was even on TV once

http://www.waitomocaveshotel.co.nz/

Hehehe ... thanks for ghostly tip, but we are set on spending the night in Taupo. :D

Now that you are going to Taupo as well, try and visit Huka Falls which is some 2km away from Taupo. You will see the stunning crystal clear water probably not seen anywhere else in the world. :)

http://www.hukafalls.com/

Sounds great, will go! Thanks.

Dr. remember a while ago you told me that the Australian uses the same Right hand turn rule as NZ? Been driving around Melbourne but seems like things must have change as traffic turning left DO NOT need to give way to traffic turning right as shown in my illustration earlier.

Currently driving in Melbourne with my NZ number plate on my car which is considered as interstate vehicle. Will need to change to VIC plates in due course.

Edited by S V Choong

Dr. remember a while ago you told me that the Australian uses the same Right hand turn rule as NZ? Been driving around Melbourne but seems like things must have change as traffic turning left DO NOT need to give way to traffic turning right as shown in my illustration earlier.

Currently driving in Melbourne with my NZ number plate on my car which is considered as interstate vehicle. Will need to change to VIC plates in due course.

Oh really? Anyway, I think the NZ ppl are taking this 'give way to the right' thingy to the extreme.

Better change the plate asap, mate. Or the locals may default you as a 'dole bludger'. :)

Haha will do..... when I get my pay cheque :) Need to get compliance first and then AUD$530 for a year's rego.....!

Thing I am worried about is that driving with NZ plate, I am not cover under the personal injury insurance which Australian registered cars are covered with. Could be quite stressful at times and has more things to look out for. "Hook turn" and the trams.... :)

Where did you complete your PhD, Dr?

Where did you complete your PhD, Dr?

Adelaide, applied mathematics, 1985, when I was a bright-eyed 25-yr-old kid. Now I'm jaded and just wanna bum around. I wish I could become a dole bludger. :sorry:

Adelaide, applied mathematics, 1985, when I was a bright-eyed 25-yr-old kid. Now I'm jaded and just wanna bum around. I wish I could become a dole bludger. :sorry:

Not that it is a bad thing to bum around when you have achieved enough :) Comes down to self satisfaction I guess.

When I am at that level, I hope I will be able to return to the university sometime to do a PhD in architecture / urban design someday...

Did you by any chance skipped the Master programme and worked directly towards a PhD instead?

Edited by S V Choong

Not that it is a bad thing to bum around when you have achieved enough :) Comes down to self satisfaction I guess.

When I am at that level, I hope I will be able to return to the university sometime to do a PhD in architecture / urban design someday...

Did you by any chance skipped the Master programme and worked directly towards a PhD instead?

Sure did, got 'promoted' to PhD candidature after good progress in masters research. Those were the rebellious heydays. Anyway, as you grow older your 'life mission' changes. I've solved countless terrestrial problems during my younger days (and prolly caused a lot more, hahaha), but at this age, I'm only after one thing: the meaning of life. Hence the journeys which took me to hajj, the Hindu Sangam in Allahabad, the Shinto shrines, Angkor, and countless mosques, temples and wats and chandis, the volcano climb, the coming NZ drive-around, etc, etc. :D

I have a Dutch friend, a retired nuclear physicist and he's virtually living in Malaysia bird-watching and waterfall-hunting. Another friend, a retired nuclear engineer, is now scouring the jungles looking for rare plants! I also do both bird-watching and jungle-watching, on a casual basis, unlike these blokes. I wonder how you'll turn up, Mr Choong. :)

Hehehe ... thanks for ghostly tip, but we are set on spending the night in Taupo. :D

There are numerous "fish burger" stalls (similar to the RAMLY burger stalls we get here in KL) littered around the settlements adjacent to the lake, and they are a Must-Try Dr. Huge, cheap, finger lickin good!

There are numerous "fish burger" stalls (similar to the RAMLY burger stalls we get here in KL) littered around the settlements adjacent to the lake, and they are a Must-Try Dr. Huge, cheap, finger lickin good!

Hoohoo! Indigenous fish from local lake/pond/river/beach is always a must-try for me, the stranger the better. One memorable dinner - an odd catfish only found in Lake Constance, southern Germany. Thanks! :D

Somewhat fattening and unhealthy though :bad:

I have a Dutch friend, a retired nuclear physicist and he's virtually living in Malaysia bird-watching and waterfall-hunting. Another friend, a retired nuclear engineer, is now scouring the jungles looking for rare plants! I also do both bird-watching and jungle-watching, on a casual basis, unlike these blokes. I wonder how you'll turn up, Mr Choong.

Planned to become an escapist :) or secluded from the mundane world. Until then I am still a prisoner for the bucks and my profession. :sorry:

Edited by S V Choong

Planned to become an escapist :) or secluded from the mundane world. Until then I am still a prisoner for the bucks and my profession. :sorry:

Don't worry. One fine day you'll grow out of it. :D

Several days ago an Air NZ computer glitch sent email to me saying my CHC-WLG filight on 11/08 had been changed, and instructed me to confirm new schedule online. I did, but got an error message. Called their contact centre, and was told the email was erroneous!

Don't worry. One fine day you'll grow out of it. :D

Several days ago an Air NZ computer glitch sent email to me saying my CHC-WLG filight on 11/08 had been changed, and instructed me to confirm new schedule online. I did, but got an error message. Called their contact centre, and was told the email was erroneous!

Well at least you will still be enjoying the experience of arriving into WLG. If you are landing from the South (Cook Strait side), it will most likely to be windy and roller coaster like :). Anyways you will be better off to book some window seats on the right hand side to view the city if the flight is going to land from the North.

Some zoom ups of Wellington from Google Earth :)

Wellington_01.jpg

Wellington_02.jpg

Wellington_03.jpg

Wellington_04.jpg

I was told from friends and relatives back in that NZ had experience some really horrible weather lately. Hope you are prepared for that. :blink:

'Horrible' weather not finished yet

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/10/story...jectid=10523698

Storm disrupts travellers, Metservice warns of next one

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/10/story...jectid=10523150

Edited by S V Choong

Wow, awesome GE pics of WLG! Thanks for weather tips too.

Been monitoring the Te Anau - Milford Sound road here:

http://www.transit.govt.nz/projects/milfor...d/RoadStatus.do

Seemed to be iced everyday. I hate snow-ice-driving, luckily we have decided to take a coach there ex-Queenstown. Now my worry is crossing Arthur's Pass in the rental, when returning to CHC. Hope the weather would let up.

Wow, awesome GE pics of WLG! Thanks for weather tips too.

Been monitoring the Te Anau - Milford Sound road here:

http://www.transit.govt.nz/projects/milfor...d/RoadStatus.do

Seemed to be iced everyday. I hate snow-ice-driving, luckily we have decided to take a coach there ex-Queenstown. Now my worry is crossing Arthur's Pass in the rental, when returning to CHC. Hope the weather would let up.

Dr. seems like are you heading to the west coast of South Island as well (Arthur's Pass)? Are you going to see Fox Glacier or Franz Joseph Glacier? It is definitely worth it! As for Arthur's Pass, I think the main worry is the one lane bridges.

There is a section of the State Highway 1 in North Island called "Desert Road" are subject to closure during heavy snow. You should probably monitor the weather of this road as well :) You are likely to use this road when you drive from Wellington to Taupo. Are you heading up to the ski fields in Mt Ruapehu?