MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

MAS To Announce Decision On Aircraft Purchase Plan Soon

I don't know if drop down LCD's constitute as Ptv's. Aren't ptv's supposed to mean "personal television", thus meaning in-seat systems. Drop down systems are offered with MH's A330 in Y, by your definition, that would be PTV.

Sorry my bad, wrong usage of a word/terminology. It should be the drop down LCDs as equipped by those LCCs, although PTVs like what DL is offering is most welcome.

I had the dubious privilege of experiencing those drop down LCD's minus headphones on CZ in Dec - next to useless and bordering on frustration - hey, when you're bored out of your mind, even the crummy adverts they were running seemed interesting ! :)

hope they will make the decision to order wide-body aircraft as soon as possible

i prefer 777-300 ER >

Yes indeed, the B77W is a good choice for MH with a combination of some B787, A350 and A380s besides the B738.

I hope with the options they can go for 737RS which is due to replace B737NG from 2014 onwards. Will be delighted if B787 is on the list too for wide body replacement.

Oh, so it's DL. What a surprise! That is a very nice interior.

A very nice interior indeed. Apparently all of their domestic aircraft will be equiped with PTV in all classes. Continental is doing the same too.

A350s will have more seating capacity than a B787 unless Boeing is willing to stretch the B787 and rolls out the B787-1000s. Thus, A350s is seen to be a direct competitor to the present B777s.

It is great that the B738 has the range to enable MH to serve international destinations that are too small for the A330. I hope that MH will have different cabin configuration and amenities for the B737-800 that they will use on these long thin routes to India, China and Australia. They should have entertainment systems and a better pitch than the aircrafts to be used on the domestic/ASEAN routes.

Some news,

MAS actually paid US$2.9b for the aircrafts, receiving a 30% discount and that they will likely lease some 737-800's in 2009 to help the airline grow their network whilst waiting for the delivery in 2010.

http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?f...mp;sec=business

Well done on the discount, eh?

A350s will have more seating capacity than a B787 unless Boeing is willing to stretch the B787 and rolls out the B787-1000s. Thus, A350s is seen to be a direct competitor to the present B777s.

I would still prefer a 777-300ER and 787-900 combo though :D

Maybe then can get more discount!

Besides, at the rate of all the current disasters involving the development of new planes, it will be really, really long until MAS can get the delivery of the A350's.

This is good news... I sure don't want thousands of narrow-body airbuses flocking KLIA and crowding Malaysian skies everyday... It's gonna be a sickening sight...

Edited by Teoh Z Yao

..... I sure don't want thousands of narrow-body airbuses flocking KLIA .....

Now that would be a sight to behold !! Imagine what a super hub KLIA would be then !

I agreed that the B738 should comes with IFE since such facilities will no longer be a luxuries....for air travel nowadays. They can turn it off for domestic and short Asean regional sector like what is currently on the MH A330s/B777s.

Malaysia Airlines Selects CFM56-7B-Powered Boeing 737

(2008-04-02)

By: SAFRAN Group

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - April 1, 2008

Malaysia Airlines has announced an order for up to 55 CFM56-7B-powered Boeing 737-800 aircraft to replace its current Boeing 737-400 fleet. Deliveries are scheduled to begin in 2010 and the engine order for the 35 firm aircraft is valued at $475 million at list price. CFM56-7B engines are a product of CFM International (CFM), a 50/50 joint company between Snecma (SAFRAN Group) and General Electric Company. CFM is the world's leading aircraft engine manufacturer, with more than 18,000 engines delivered to date.

"We selected the CFM56-7B-powered Boeing aircraft as our aim is to ensure that the aircraft for our core network will always be the latest in terms of technology " said Mr Idris Jala, Managing Director/ Chief Executive Officer of Malaysia Airlines. "We plan to use the new aircraft primarily within the ASEAN region, including domestic Malaysia operations as well as routes to the growing areas such as China and India."

"We very pleased and honored that Malaysia Airlines has chosen to make CFM such an integral part of its recovery plan," said Eric Bachelet, president and CEO of CFM International. "We believe that the technology benefits provided by the CFM56-7B will help with long-time customer achieve it long-term goals."

The CFM56-7B26/3 engines powering the new Malaysia Airlines fleet will be the advanced Tech Insertion configuration, which will provide the airline with lower maintenance costs, improved oxides of nitrogen (NOx) emissions, and better fuel burn. Tech Insertion includes improvements to the high-pressure compressor, the combustor, and the high- and low-pressure turbines.

The CFM56-7B is the exclusive powerplant for the Boeing Next-Generation 737 aircraft family. More than 5,500 CFM56-7B engines have been delivered to date, and the fleet is growing at a rate of about 35 engines per month.

Primary factors behind the engine's broad-based acceptance include this industry's best reliability, durability, low cost of ownership, and world-class customer and product support.

"We selected the CFM56-7B-powered Boeing aircraft as our aim is to ensure that the aircraft for our core network will always be the latest in terms of technology " said Mr Idris Jala, Managing Director/ Chief Executive Officer of Malaysia Airlines

Obviously the BAC sales people did a terrific job in shielding Datuk IJ from even the slightest hint of their ongoing 737 replacement programme(s) :D

Nah, not likely then of the Y-1 / 737RS projects being worked into the 20 options included in the package, by the looks of it

Negotiation on A333/772 replacement is progressing. Standby for news/rumours/announcement at LIMA 09 or/and Farnborough 2010 B)

:drinks:

Edited by KK Lee

Sign in to follow this