MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

MAS To Announce Decision On Aircraft Purchase Plan Soon

March 26, 2008 22:08 PM

MAS To Announce Decision On Aircraft Purchase Plan Soon

KUALA LUMPUR, March 26 (Bernama) -- Malaysia Airlines Bhd has yet to make a decision on its aircraft purchase plan, which is likely to involve the purchase of up to 55 aircrafts.

But an announcement on the matter would be made soon, its executive director cum chief financial officer Tengku Datuk Azmil Zahruddin Raja Abdul Aziz told reporters on the sidelines of the Invest Malaysia 2008 annual conference here Wednesday.

Currently, the national carrier has a fleet of 111 airplanes in use.

The airline had announced plans to submit request for proposals (RFP) for up to 55 wide-body and 55 narrow-body aircraft to aircraft manufacturers last year.

Earlier, Azmil made a presentation on MAS to some 60 fund managers who attended the annual conference.

Azmil said a lot of the fund managers who attended the session, were concerned about how the airline was dealing with rising oil price.

He said explanations were given on the airline's hedging approach to fuel.

He also said the airline's cash position was at RM5.3 billion and that it was preparation towards meeting any economic downturn.

"We have a very good cash balance which allows us to take advantage of opportunities that may arise during a downturn," he added.

Azmil also said the airline was looking at formulating a dividend policy. It does not have a dividend policy at the moment.

"The dividend policy will be tied in to a balance sheet management policy."

MAS proposed a dividend payout of 2.5 sen per share recently. It would be its first dividend payout after its turnaround plan.

-- BERNAMA

http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news_lite.php?id=322889

Invest Malaysia is a huge show. They have to say something, even repeating the same mantra. :)

I am not sure when this will crystalize, but one thing is for sure, we mwingers are a real resilient bunch - withstanding spins after spins, tales after tales, donggeng after donggeng.... with much hope for light at the end of the tunnel.... if you fry leftover rice more than once, you get 'nasi basi'.

Hi y'all, newbie, this'll be my first post.

Concerning the 55 aircrafts, I really hope MAS gets a mixture of 747-8,787 and 747-8F(freighter). :yahoo: Too much problems with Airbus regarding A380. MAS should get compensation from Airbus and go for Boeing, this'll give Airbus a good lesson.In addition, I always believe that Airbus is associated mostly with low cost airlines while Boeing excellent branding should complement MAS as a 5 star airline.

And another reason why MAS should not go for A350, which I assume what MAS will get if Airbus prevails:

:rofl:

Let them take their time la people..they will announce sooner or later..its just the matter of when..

As a GLC, there are a lot of red tapes to be cleared. It's not as easy as Air Asia or Air Asia X. So the wait is going forever. That's why the word "soon" is used.

ditch a380.. go for 787s haha

anyway, i was at MAS complex A SZB yesterday and there were fire engines around the engineering complex, and i can smell smokes.. anyone know what happened?

Best and most realistic situation:

Replacing 11 747-400:

6 Airbus A380

10 Boeing 777-300ER

Replacing 19 A330-300/200 and 17 777-200ER:

35 Boeing 787-900

Replacing 37 737-400

55 Boeing 737-800

Bodes in well with all the rumors that have been flying around, no?

In addition, I always believe that Airbus is associated mostly with low cost airlines while Boeing excellent branding should complement MAS as a 5 star airline.

This has to be the most ridiculous statement I have read thus far. No offence... But reject an aircrfat type solely because a lot of LCC fly that type?? :blink:

If anything, that is a good thing since it means their aircraft save money.

But I think its mostly because Boeing don't have any good competition to the A330.

The 767 was supposed to be one, but I don't know what happened there..

MAS should get compensation from Airbus and go for Boeing, this'll give Airbus a good lesson.In addition, I always believe that Airbus is associated mostly with low cost airlines while Boeing excellent branding should complement MAS as a 5 star airline.And another reason why MAS should not go for A350, which I assume what MAS will get if Airbus prevails:
I'll have to give it to MH, their constant regurgitation of being 5 stars have really sunk in. They won't let you forget their beloved skytrax 5 star ranking, it seems like you won't let us forget it too. Anyways, with regards to your comment Kingfisher, another 5 star airline flies an all Airbus fleet, no Boeing Aircraft at all. Not to mention Airbus being flown and ordered by the other 5 star airlines SQ, QR, OZ, CX. So really, I don't think being a 5 star airline and flying Airbus aircraft are mutually exclusive events.
Best and most realistic situation:Replacing 11 747-400:6 Airbus A38010 Boeing 777-300ERReplacing 19 A330-300/200 and 17 777-200ER:35 Boeing 787-900Replacing 37 737-40055 Boeing 737-800Bodes in well with all the rumors that have been flying around, no?
Nice set up. 100 aircraft, so it would be down from their current 111-ish aircraft? I think an additional 10 787, would make your proposition pretty sweet, or if available as compensation for A380 delay, 10 A350's (considering AAX seems interested in them, would love the 787's more for greater diversity at KUL). Anyways, this begs another question, has MH ever indicated interest with the 787s?

I think yeah, they asked Airbus and Boeing to forward their proposals for the A350 and 787.

If Airbus are going to compensate for the A380 delay, I guess they would give serious discounts on the A350, thus eliminating chances of MH getting 787's.

In the other thread however, it says that Airbus will propose 50 A320's as compensation.

I don't think MH will take that though, considering Boeing had announced that they had already got an order from Malaysia for 737's at the Singapore Airshow.

Edited by jani

I really doubt it.

The MH crew already have the familiarization with the 737 family, so getting the A320 aircraft would then require a lot of additional cost such as training, maintenance etc.

But on the positive side, I guess better co-operation with Air Asia would be possible, since they already operate a huge fleet.

ho -hum.....yet another announcement. after what has happened the last few months...should they just not bother with their 'coming soon' statements? more crap from MAS.

apparently they are discussing with airbus re: narrow body fleet. that means 55 aircraft. what happened to the wide body fleet? is that going to take another year? the longer they delay....the later their slots will be.

looks like the rumours about leasing or buying AK's A320s might be true!

I really doubt it.

The MH crew already have the familiarization with the 737 family, so getting the A320 aircraft would then require a lot of additional cost such as training, maintenance etc.

But on the positive side, I guess better co-operation with Air Asia would be possible, since they already operate a huge fleet.

Hmm.. I was curious about the cost prospects for MH to train their pilots on the possible new fleet, but forgot about the maintenance part. If they do, will it take years for them to get able personnel to man those aircrafts? (Sorry.. not familiar with how long does one aircraft purchase takes, let alone 50+ orders..)

Hmm.. I was curious about the cost prospects for MH to train their pilots on the possible new fleet, but forgot about the maintenance part. If they do, will it take years for them to get able personnel to man those aircrafts? (Sorry.. not familiar with how long does one aircraft purchase takes, let alone 50+ orders..)

We in AXM also thought that the fleet replacement for the B733 was gonna be the NGs just like Ryanair which AirAsia is modelled after but were soon suprised by the CEOs decision to go for A320s.I think it all boils down to dollars and sense.Dont worry about training,it will be included in the deal (Tech crew as well as Maint crew).Besides MH uses A330,the A320 also uses the same systems,generally.

Sign in to follow this