MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
S V Choong

MAS in-flight menu....

Not sure if you guys are encountering the same problem...

For the last two 772 long haul and short haul international flights from AKL-KUL and KUL-HKG, I have never had a single menu handed to me. For AKL-KUL we get two meals (one after take off and one before landing) and for KUL-HKG, we only get one meal. But in all occasion, the crew did not provide any menu at all. I remembered well that we used to get menus the whole time. I was wondering if they are in the print to provide new meal or whether MAS have completely phased out of them?

My girlfriend was also saying that she didn't get menu handed to her or to anyone in her flight when she flew from AKL-KUL and KUL-PVG about a week and half ago.

Any info would be appreciated!!

Edited by S V Choong

izzit true?

my uncle just handed me his KUL-AMS vv flight menu, business class

not sure they still have the menu in economy class though..

Yes fairul, I am afraid is true. The F/As were going around the cabin asking everyone "Chicken, Beef or me?" and then "Coffee, Tea or me?" biggrin.gif

Recently I asked 2 different stewardesses on 2 different flights upon hearing that MH is considering phasing out economy class menus. One said yes, that is true. No more Y class menus.

Another said MAS is in the process of refreshing its menu with the 'new service delivery' (part of the 'Experience Redefined' thing), so they shall have it again in the future.

Malaysia Airlines no longer offers in-flight menu for all international flights in its economy class including Korea and Japan sectors.

Effective early this month, there will be no GP (General Purpose) glass on economy class tray meal as per standard preset item. All cold drinks to be served with styrene cup or tumbler.

Economy class casserole dishes for all international flights will be replaced by aluminum foil.

Malaysia Airlines also no longer offers alcoholic beverages for GCC and Economy Class passengers on domestic flights from/to Peninsular Malaysia to/from Sabah and Sarawak.

Yeah saw that... I was given plastic dishes though and styrene cup for juices yesterday and the day before. Isn't this a step down from before? How is this a better experience defined? Meal portions in my opinion have become slightly smaller espcially the main dish. Fortunately we do get a mini cup of Kapiti icecream (NZ made) as dessert.

Gosh, that is an incredible length of cost-cutting measure MH is doing!! I must say that it is not much of a positive 'experience redefined' and a let down to the atmosphere of inflight dining. Do they have to cut down on things that have direct implications to paying passengers? These things are touch points with customers, and the fact that a plane ride is a service, I personally wish that some form of tangibles can be seen to make the journey more enjoyable and customers feel appreciated.

Anyway I was looking forward to better things on MAS when I noticed that the GP glass has been changed to a new design with a shape somewhat like Sime Darby's logo, instead of the old circular type. That was a flight on 4 October KUL-KCH. I guess it was a short-lived experience.

New Service Delivery (NSD) meant for New First Class and New Golden Club Class only, hence experience redefined. While Project Relish in-flight catering meant for all classes.

If you ask me, quality wise, yeah we're getting better.

For example, now we served Dilmah Ceylonese Tea in economy class instead of Lipton. While, ex BKI we served Sabah Tea. New menu/meal choices/desserts. Then, the new child meal box set, children give away and etc. For GCC pax, now we have Kosmo and Harian Metro on some selected routes. biggrin.gif

As for styrene cup over GP glass, I think it's a good step though. More portion more liquid biggrin.gif and weight reduction.

As for casserole dishes over foil, as stated in the circular.. all related to weight reduction and cost saving.

For pax, yes, plane ride is a serivce, but for cabin crew, plane ride is a safety of the pax,a/c and crew. tongue.gif

Edited by M N Fairizuan

woo, how do you get to know all theve Fairizuan, do you work for the catering company or something? and also sad to see the caserole dishes going, they are nice. Had anyone noticed improvements int heir Meals or whatsoever?

Anyone noticed that the inflight mag "Going Places" is no longer in glossy paper?

11171[/snapback]

Actually I like it better without the glossy cover! I have the OCT 2005 issue and it feels nice to touch smile.gif

Thanks for the insight on behind the scenes of in-flight catering Fairizuan. I remember some photos of LSG Skychefs' operations you posted at another forum and they were great!

Oh those casserole dishes are so lovely. I collect some of the older ones with the old MAS logo. Found at a flea market in new, unused condition, complete with cardboard padding. Bought them all!

As I collect MAS things, I was thinking of getting a child's meal on a KUL- KCH / BKI flight, just so I can collect those colourful kiddies meal boxes. Apparently adults can't opt for child meal as told by MAS KL Sentral's ticketing office!

I notice that the new covers of Going Places magazine has a satin feel, but drops of water will ruin an otherwise pristine magazine.

If I can suggest to MAS, incorporate the economy class menu in digital form into the IFE so that passengers can expect what to eat in their flights. These days, even asking for packets of peanuts is a hush-hush affair, with the FAs quietly giving, hoping that other passengers won't see, and won't ask for themselves. But I liked the old one, in silver foil, better than the new ones in light brown packet.

Edited by Rozhan

The F/As were going around the cabin asking everyone "Chicken, Beef or me?"  and then "Coffee, Tea or me?" biggrin.gif

11153[/snapback]

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Malaysia Airlines also no longer offers alcoholic beverages for GCC and Economy Class passengers on domestic flights from/to Peninsular Malaysia to/from Sabah and Sarawak.

11153[/snapback]

For EY i can understand but for GCC too ? ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

How is this a better experience defined?

11153[/snapback]

I think it's should be worse ... sad.gif Doing this is just so 3-star. Anyway, i hope it's just temporiraly.

For example, now we served Dilmah Ceylonese Tea in economy class instead of Lipton. While, ex BKI we served Sabah Tea.

11153[/snapback]

What ? Sabah Tea ? Why would they choose Sabah Tea ? Why don't MH just use BOH Tea, BOH Tea is so much better, beside, BOH Tea is also cheaper than Lipton Tea. By the way, what is Dilmah Ceylonese Tea ? From Sri Lanka ?

Had anyone noticed improvements int heir Meals or whatsoever?

11153[/snapback]

Not yet ...

If I can suggest to MAS, incorporate the economy class menu in digital form into the IFE so that passengers can expect what to eat in their flights.

11153[/snapback]

Brilliant suggestion there, Rozhan. But nothing beat the old-style paper menu. The paper menu will give you the feeling like dining in a classy restaurant in the air tongue.gif

Many major carriers are in the cost-cutting process (SQ, CX, QF, JL, NH and many more) but we have yet to see them taking the paper menus away from EY passengers. BA is by far the only airline i know has stopped using the menu in EY and now MH ...

But I liked the old one, in silver foil, better than the new ones in light brown packet.

11153[/snapback]

There is another one in the green packet, packed in Japan. You can get it on ex-NRT flight. In front of the packet is written "otsumami".

I was so excited when MAS said they are going to 'upgrade' their meals and expected it to be something like those below :

Economy Meal 1

Economy Meal 2

Economy Meal 3

Economy Meal 4

Economy Meal 5

. BA is by far the only airline i know has stopped using the menu in EY and now MH ...

KL never issued menus in Y-class: only C-class passengers will receive a menu and wine-selection list mellow.gif

Your most welcome Rozhan. biggrin.gif

On most B734 flights, it is not that we do not want to offers or gives peanut to our economy class passengers. It is only because peanut is not a standard uplift for economy class on B734 flights. We usually place an order or request or commonly known as uplift among us cabin crew, at any of these four uplift stations in Malaysia, KUL, PEN, BKI and KCH.

For KUL, they (the catering) only uplift as per standard operating procedures, no peanuts for economy class. But most of the time economy class crew will “curi†(stole) some from GCC. Same thing goes to playing cards. For example, as per flight and standard operating procedures (B734), we only carried 4 cans of Pepsi (in EY), (all these for GCC) 20 packs of peanut, 10 packs of playing card, 20 pieces of postcard, 5 sets of writing pads and etc.

Unlike KUL, BKI is a different story. Any extra uplift we request, we always get it (most of the time). Hence when a passenger asks for a Pepsi, we can afford to give a whole can of Pepsi to them since we have extra at the back. (non s.o.p)

And it also depends on the cabin crew in charge. Good In-Flight Supervisor or Leading Steward/Stewardess will normally ask for extra items from catering, normally mineral (pepsi/7 up/ginger ale/soda club etc). For example, one whole carton of Pepsi and etc. (non s.o.p)

Plus, a good and dedicative crew will reserved some peanuts, candies and cookies for hand-made children give away (depending on the number of children) onboard B734 as MH do not carried any children giveaways onboard its narrow body flights/short wide body flights. (non s.o.p)

We have limited items onboard, hence cabin crew discretion are advices biggrin.gif

Anyway for long wide-body flights, they have plenty of peanuts and should go with one round of juice, beer and peanut before meal service as per s.o.p. Even for BKK/CGK airbus flights, they have plenty of peanuts. But then, it is a "rushing" sector biggrin.gif

Rozhan, since you are a collector. We have newly designed pen made by Staedler. Nice and modern looking pen if you ask me. Now available on most flights ex-KUL.

Digital IFE menu, wow, cool idea. cool.gif

Dilmah Tea, World's most expansive/exclusive tea from Sri Lanka laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Originally catered for GCC now available in all classes. Plus, Rooibos tea from South Africa for first class pax. But for Teh Tarik, we still prefers our very own Lipton Yellow Label. biggrin.gif

I think Dilmah offers an attractive deal for MH. Just like Pepsi, when they "buy" MAS cola deal from Coca Cola few years ago.

Yes, even in GCC (all domestic flights) no more alcoholic beverages. ohmy.gif

Edited by M N Fairizuan

By the way Fairizuan, does MAS still serve "Shandy" in EY ? It's a very popular drink for Chinese during Chinese New Year.

Edited by Isaac

No more Shandy/Sandy. As for beer (from local uplift stations), we only have Tiger and Carlsberg for all flights. Anchor, no more also.

But depends on the route and uplift station too. OZ route sometimes Foster, Taiwan route sometimes Taiwan Beer and etc.

Edited by M N Fairizuan

woah, good insight there on the catering business of hte airline. Yeah, do they still stock those plastic kits they give away last time? I have a 747 few years back before they changed them into Triple 7's. And also, being a children once myself i remember that i got a jigsaw puzzle for domestic very far far back during the days at Subang, but now they're not giving out anymore. What the kids get now is if you're lucky sweeets. Perhaps cost cutting?

Obviously this is a cost-cutting move. 3 weeks ago I took AC's domestic: in the Y class wine = 1CAD and soon 2CAD for pillow & blanket; last year, on AirTransat, headsets cost 2CAD/each, water = free, drinks 1CAD, wine 5CAD.

There are 3 types of children giveaway on long wide body flights ex-kul:-

1 - "Butterfly Soft Doll" (something like beanies beans) for infant.

2 - "Blue Bag" = colouring book, box of pencil color, jigsaws, calculator, organizer, paper clip for 2 y/o - 7/8 y/o.

3 - "Green Bag" = cd folder, organizer, calculator, jigsaws, pen, paper clip, handphone/key lanyard for 8 y/o - 12 y/o.

Nicely designed and very good quality. biggrin.gif

As for the sweets/candies on domestic/short flights, yea there are no children giveaway. But as an initiative, cabin crew will always (or sometimes) offer sweets/candies and amenities bag especially to mothers with children/infant. (non s.o.p) biggrin.gif

And during meal service, we always serve mothers with children/infant first (non-s.o.p). By procedures, only CHML (children) and DBML (diabetic) pax serve first. biggrin.gif

also i would like to ask, how many children gift packs do they stock lets say on an international flight. Do they stock it like on how many children or do they stock more, because im quite a collector of children stuff. I have those organisers, with me currently. How lenient are they of them giving this to an adult, not to say adult but to a 17 year old which is not a children.

perhaps a pic?

Guest Fendy
Actually I like it better without the glossy cover!  I have the OCT 2005 issue and it feels nice to touch smile.gif

11178[/snapback]

agreed to that!

To be completely honest...although the giveaways are high in quality and are somewhat "limited edition"...i would trade all of those away for the MAS peanuts!

THEY ARE LITERALLY TO DIE FOR! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Sign in to follow this