MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Y. J. Foo

Subang Skypark Development Including New RM 1.5 Billion KTM Rail Link

I remember the old copies of Malaysia Airlines's Going Places had the Subang Airport then later KLIA Terminal 1 renderings. Unfortunately, I lost my collection when I moved to KL. Will dig ebay for some copies.

Edited by JuliusWong

From todays NST:

MAG to fly narrowbody aircraft out of Subang Airport in June?

By BILQIS BAHARI - May 10, 2024 @ 9:51am

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia Aviation Group (MAG) will participate in Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah (SAAS) Airport's ambition to resume jet operations as early as June this year. 

However, MAG group managing director Datuk Captain Izham Ismail did not share which of the group's airline units – Malaysia Airlines Bhd or FlyFirefly Sdn Bhd – will operate narrowbody aircraft out of the airport. 

"MAG will participate (in the resumption of jet operations out of SAAS airport). We can't reveal at the moment whether it'll be Malaysia Airlines or Firefly but we'll participate from the airport," he told Business Times in an interview recently. 

He added that the destinations that either of the two airlines would fly to would be domestic destinations and Asean countries. 

Currently, only Firefly operates out of Subang Airport with its turboprop aircraft while Malaysia Airlines' home base is Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) Terminal 1. 

Izham said the current aircraft slots at Subang Airport are for ATRs while airlines that want to operate jets out of the 59-year-old airport would have to bid for new slots. 

He also said Firefly will continue operating its ATRs out of the airport until the completion of Subang Airport's phase one development which will see the cessation of turboprop operations. 

"Our current slots are only for ATR slots. We have to bid for the fresh slots (for jet operations). Once the bidding for the new slots open, MAG would have to bid for it," he said.

Izham added that SAAS airport operator Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) would allow MAG to convert its ATR slots to jets once phase one of the airport development is in place. 

On March 14, MAHB told Business Times that narrowbody aircraft operations will resume as early as June this year at Subang Airport as the airport is being expanded to handle more passengers and jet operations.

The resumption comes 26 years after all jet operations were moved to KLIA in 1998. 

MAHB senior general manager for strategy Megat Ardian Wira Mohd Aminuddin said the phase one development includes building up to five parking bays for narrowbody aircraft and six for ATRs. 

He said Subang Airport would be able to handle single-aisle aircraft types such as Boeing 737s, Airbus A320s and A321s once the phase one project, which started in December 2023, is completed.

Megat Ardian also said MAHB is working with the Civil Aviation Authority of Malaysia to offer airport slots to airlines that are interested in operating out of the Subang Airport. 

He said the current airlines, such as Firefly and Batik Air Malaysia Sdn Bhd, that are operating out of the SAAS airport could keep their existing airport slots and apply for new ones if they want to.

Believe the reason we see FY jet ops is in disarray is because of the reallignment involving SZB. Yields is a lot better than lackluster east Malaysia. 

But the question comes. Years later MH intends to come and FY has to give and transfer. Will FY be happy about it no one knows. Currently PEN operations is doing fairly okay but not great meanwhile BKI has been very poor with volume drive not being able to support 2 operators sustainably. 

5 minutes ago, jahur said:

Believe the reason we see FY jet ops is in disarray is because of the reallignment involving SZB. Yields is a lot better than lackluster east Malaysia. 

But the question comes. Years later MH intends to come and FY has to give and transfer. Will FY be happy about it no one knows. Currently PEN operations is doing fairly okay but not great meanwhile BKI has been very poor with volume drive not being able to support 2 operators sustainably. 

I was wondering that as well but it seems a little early to messing up the ops because they may move. 

If it's MH at SZB then I wonder how this will affect current schedules. 

They should just open their purse and spend some god damn money on leasing a few more B737-800NGs and start the SZB jet operation from ground up rather than messing with the current MH and FY operations at KUL and PEN respectively. This is not rocket science.

21 minutes ago, JuliusWong said:

They should just open their purse and spend some god damn money on leasing a few more B737-800NGs and start the SZB jet operation from ground up rather than messing with the current MH and FY operations at KUL and PEN respectively. This is not rocket science.

Leasing planes isn’t quite the same as walking into a used car dealership and driving off with a Myvi.

First they’d have to find a 738 with same or compatible flight deck configurations. Even converting from imperial to metric is a very expensive and complex move. Securing financing is a tad more complicated than opening your purse. Then there’s the tiny issue of regulatory approvals which make going to JPJ seem like a walk in the park. If they’re going to repaint it, that’s another set of hoops to jump through to secure a slot. Depending on its maintenance history there may also be a great deal of that to do before it can enter service. 

Even with everything expedited it’ll take several months at the very least. But hey, I don’t have some of the expertise or wisdom that some folks around here have, so maybe it is as simple as throwing money at a problem :)  

40 minutes ago, Chris Tan said:

Leasing planes isn’t quite the same as walking into a used car dealership and driving off with a Myvi.

First they’d have to find a 738 with same or compatible flight deck configurations. Even converting from imperial to metric is a very expensive and complex move. Securing financing is a tad more complicated than opening your purse. Then there’s the tiny issue of regulatory approvals which make going to JPJ seem like a walk in the park. If they’re going to repaint it, that’s another set of hoops to jump through to secure a slot. Depending on its maintenance history there may also be a great deal of that to do before it can enter service. 

Even with everything expedited it’ll take several months at the very least. But hey, I don’t have some of the expertise or wisdom that some folks around here have, so maybe it is as simple as throwing money at a problem :)  

EIS procedures that I am familiar with, but without them having the guts to open up their wallet to finance, all these talks are useless. Things can be done swiftly and effectively if one choose to do so, but the lackadaisical working attitude of many Malaysians is a bane. They can explore wet leasing too, if they are in such hurry to start the operation but problem is they don't even know what they are doing. If they are not in a hurry to start, just wait till all equipment and personnel are ready before launching the service. The road to and from Subang are horrendous and no improvement seems to be happening. Good luck if a heavy vehicle broke down or the road is flooded.... 

1 hour ago, JuliusWong said:

EIS procedures that I am familiar with, but without them having the guts to open up their wallet to finance, all these talks are useless. Things can be done swiftly and effectively if one choose to do so, but the lackadaisical working attitude of many Malaysians is a bane. They can explore wet leasing too, if they are in such hurry to start the operation but problem is they don't even know what they are doing. If they are not in a hurry to start, just wait till all equipment and personnel are ready before launching the service. The road to and from Subang are horrendous and no improvement seems to be happening. Good luck if a heavy vehicle broke down or the road is flooded.... 

The road is supposed to be upgraded before the final upgrade phase in 2030. I agree that it's not great but then again so much development was allowed and this caused it. 

Upgrading the existing 70pax per aircraft into potentially 240pax per aircraft(worse case scenario) worse 5 of them based on interim plan without amending the access road plus terminal(apart with some flow reallignment) the airport experience is just get worse maybe akin of old dreadful bus stand LCCT plus this is expected to persist up to 2027(est that new terminal actually comes up).

19 minutes ago, Robert said:

The road is supposed to be upgraded before the final upgrade phase in 2030. I agree that it's not great but then again so much development was allowed and this caused it. 

Yes, there have been so many condominiums popping up all over Ara Damansara and PJU areas over the past 26 years. Not being sadistic, but having high rise over an airport with fully packed B737 ain't the best idea. The current road barely can support the current traffic, I shudder to think about 3 million pax they are targeting by June 2024 and the 8 million pax that will eventually pass through the airport by 2030. https://themalaysianreserve.com/2024/03/27/the-subang-airport-regeneration-plan-transforming-sultan-abdul-aziz-shah-airport/

The whole execution part is just bad.

9 hours ago, jahur said:

MAG said they will do domestic and ASEAN flights from SZB. Is it better for FY to do domestic (it being a price sensitive market) and MH do the ASEAN flights? I bet you SZB-SIN will do roaring trade! Scoot are rubbing their hands with glee cos they have the right equipment!

On 5/10/2024 at 8:16 PM, flee said:

MAG said they will do domestic and ASEAN flights from SZB. Is it better for FY to do domestic (it being a price sensitive market) and MH do the ASEAN flights? I bet you SZB-SIN will do roaring trade! Scoot are rubbing their hands with glee cos they have the right equipment!

That's why the gomen has been limiting SZB since KUL in operation.