MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
iwan

Future of the RMAF

the major issue is why RMAF and the navy and even military always procure hardware like aircrafts and submarines through a 3rd party agency??? Considerung that these specific needs military specs are supposedly secret why still go through a private middleman agency?? Doesnt this compromise on the military needs n specs? Is there something on the pricing and why does the govt allow these agencies to charge a huge commission for these purchases as its in the millions/billions? In other countries like our neighbouring s'pore - all their air force planes and helicopters are all done on a govt to military manufacturers' directly.

Logical? - Most Definately.

Practical? - Well, if you want to earn 'commissions' from multi-billion Ringgit deals, then direct dealing between MinDef and Suppliers becomes an issue with relation to ease of cyphoning off allocated funds. The third party agencies are a legitimate means of 'corruption' as large payouts and fund transfers into third party pockets can be described as 'commissions' to the third party - albeit grossly over-the-top quantities of money that in many other countries raise red-flags and pave the way towards having royal commissions of inquiry. Locally however, the benchmark is already set - so the Auditor Generals report every year won't raise the proverbial 'red-flag'.

Head of State/President/PM - Donation, fund raising.

Minister/Sec of any Potfolio - Gift

DG/Head of Dept - Token of Appreciation

Low level enforcement officer/police/custom etc - CORRUPTION/BRIBERY .......

Which category do you fall into and whether you will be prosecuted in the court of law, it depends on your status........ :fool:

:hi:

Hey, lets play a guessing game... Which fighter aircraft will Malaysia buy to replace the RMAF MiG29N...

(Boeing FA18E/F Super Hornet / Lockheed F16 / Lockheed F-35 Lightning / Eurofighter Typhoon / Dassault Rafale / SAAB JAS-39 Gripen NG / Mikoyan MiG-35 / Sukhoi Su-30 MKM / Sukhoi Su-35S)

To me, it will happen after the 13th General Election... and it will be decided by who wins the election and who becomes the Prime Minister and Defence Minister...

Scenario 1

BN win 13th GE and DS Najib retain PM

Selection criteria ... possibly commission :finger: (of which the French and the Russian have a history here in Malaysian defence purchase)

Possible winner : Dassault Rafale or additional Su-30MKM or combination of both Dassault Rafale and Su-30MKM

Scenario 2

BN win 13th GE but DS Muhyiddin as new PM

Selection criteria ... possibly 'Malay agenda' ... meaning anything but USA and Europe

Possible winner : Su-30MKM or Su-35S or MiG-35 or a combination of Su-30MKM/Su-35S and the MiG-35

Scenario 3

PR win 13th GE with DS Anwar as PM and PAS or Malay PKR as Defence Minister

Selection criteria ... cheapest bidder but no to USA

Possible winner : SAAB JAS-39 Gripen NG

Scenario 4

PR win 13th GE with DS Anwar as PM and DAP or Chinese/Indian PKR as Defence Minister

Selection Criteria ... combination of cheapest bidder and a few of the most advance aircraft

Possible winner : Combination of many SAAB JAS-39 Gripen NG and a few Eurofighter Typhoon or FA-18E/F or even possibly Lockheed F-35 Lightning

What is your prediction?

Edited by Fitri Shukri

This seems fun :D

Scenario 1

BN wins 13th GE and DS najib retain PM

Selection criteria ... As an ex-Defense Minister, decision left to RMAF generals.

Possible winner : SU-30MKM to reduce lifetime cost of current fleet and maximize fleet commonality

Scenario 2

PR win 13th GE with DS Anwar as PM and 2 Deputy PM's of Chinese/Indian descent.

Selection criteria ... Reconciliation to Singapore as agenda. Shared defense capability in view of rising global tensions (China vs Japan etc)

Possible winner : F-15 / F-16 SG. Israeli components swapped for "Buatan Malaysia" ... basically licensed stuff :p

Edited by Timothy

One thing I know - whatever the RMAF orders, I will never be able to understand its rationale. RMAF's procurement has never been logical and is at the whims of politicians. RMAF does not look like a professionally run air force because of that.

This seems fun :D

Scenario 1

BN wins 13th GE and DS najib retain PM

Selection criteria ... As an ex-Defense Minister, decision left to RMAF generals.

Possible winner : SU-30MKM to reduce lifetime cost of current fleet and maximize fleet commonality

Scenario 2

PR win 13th GE with DS Anwar as PM and 2 Deputy PM's of Chinese/Indian descent.

Selection criteria ... Reconciliation to Singapore as agenda. Shared defense capability in view of rising global tensions (China vs Japan etc)

Possible winner : F-15 / F-16 SG. Israeli components swapped for "Buatan Malaysia" ... basically licensed stuff :p

I like Scenario 2..."Buatan Malaysia" hahaha

ha ha it seems like whichever manufacturer offers the most commissions; and hence we see nowadays the RMAF have different types of aircrafts from Western to Russian and to Europeans - all this mix is not good as it keeps on changing after elections and no clear future planning. Worst all these different aircraft types and different manufacturers have made training and maintenance a big headache and hence we can see the RMAF operationally readiness is way below other air forces standards.

Our exotic weaponry may be a motivation factor to be attacked?

wow...F-35 Lightning in the mix?

Better verify it's not the BAe's Lightning or even worse Lockheed's P-38 model

You know lah, details can always be lost in transit ...... :p

Our exotic weaponry may be a motivation factor to be attacked?

I think I read somewhere once someone proferring the feeble excuse that our nation's "exotic" (I prefer the term varied) weaponary is necessary so we are not overly reliant on any one supplying nation (or alliance) for support

Which translates to a need for our military hardware to be at least twice the 'normal' size to provide the nominal 'normal' degree of defence/attack, on assumption there are only two opposing global alliances. When alliances are muddled and corrupted ....... what a heavenly God sent bonus for arms dealers :p

When we have limited defence capability, it is always good to play nice with our more powerful neighbors. Not that we are worried about being attacked by them, but to take advantage of their arsenals as our first line of defense. Close collaborations and strategic army plans will ensure Malaysia being included in our neighbors' defense shields.

Obviously this will not be a simple thing to do as it would involve divulging quite a lot of national defense mechanism and plans to our neighbors.

Anyway, if we can afford it, it would be best to do beef our defense alone.

Sometimes, its best that some secrets remained unknown.

National defence mechanism should remain secret. There should be no question about that. You don't want others to know the specifications of your weapon, how many torpedo, missiles you have, the capability of maintenance team, etc and etc.

On the other hand, it makes corruption harder to prove. But I think parliament is told of the cost for the purchase.

when you give your purchases and specs to a 3rd party to buy for you like what the RMAF and even RMN does - then really there's no secrets leaft as its throiugh civillian 3rd party agencies and what these agencies made as their commissions is really unknown to Parliament - as no private companies tell you openly their mark-up and others.

It is not easy to keep our military assets secret when just about everything is bought from foreign countries.... Not that we make anything ourselves.

Would have thought people involved in the purchase would be bound by secrecy. The seller, the middleman and the buyer.

Not going to happen.. RMAF has tested Apache years back (before the Longbow i believe) and it did not met our operational demand.. Or maybe it is just to expensive..

Not going to happen.. RMAF has tested Apache years back (before the Longbow i believe) and it did not met rm our operational demand.. Or maybe it is just not too expensive..

Edited by KK Lee

I don't remember that v have attack choppers.

Yes indeed, but the Army had expressed their needs for Attack Helicopter and from what I heard the Eurocopter Tiger is the most realistic candidate.. Please correct me if I'm wrong and thanks KK Lee for the correction :D

I think I read somewhere once someone proferring the feeble excuse that our nation's "exotic" (I prefer the term varied) weaponary is necessary so we are not overly reliant on any one supplying nation (or alliance) for support

I think this came out after US impose arms embargo to Indonesia during Suharto's presidency..........