MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Alan B.

Which airline would you choose?

Which airline would you choose? Please read the post below first.  

76 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to make a domestic flight between Peninsular Malaysia and Sabah or Sarawak, which airline would be your first choice?

• Malaysia Airlines
    • AirAsia
  2. 2. If you have to take a flight from KUL to BKK, which of these airlines would you choose?

• Malaysia Airlines
    • AirAsia
    • Thai Airways
    • Lufthansa
    • Air India
  3. 3. Which airline would you choose if you had to make a domestic flight within Peninsular Malaysia?

• Malaysia Airlines
    • Airasia

The recent down grade of inflight meals and the increase in surcharge by MH has had very strong reaction. <_>

So this poll is to see how this issue has affected MH as your airline of choice. Remember the questions assumes that you are flying in economy. For domestic flights, I have not included Firefly and MASwings as they do not have as wide list of destinations as the two main carriers.

The KUL/BKK sector is chosen as it has a wide selection of airlines to choose from and is just a random regional sector. However the list of airline may not be the complete list of airlines operating the sector but it is a good sample.

As for myself, if I have to travel for work within Malaysia, I choose to fly Business Class on MH so I would vote for MH. If I am traveling on holiday, I look for the best deal from both AK and MH, and make my choice based on timing and not just price but from now on it's AK. With the mealbox fiasco i will not fly MH between the peninsular and Sabah/Sarawak if on holiday.

Join in and vote and also add you comments please. Have fun! :rolleyes:

1) domestic flight between P Malaysia and E Malaysia - Air Asia. This is due to the ability to purchase Xpress Boarding (much cheaper than the alternative on MH - a business class ticket), the ability to purchase adequate refreshments from a more varied menu (rather than being stuck with whatever's in the snack box), and the much nicer AK cabins (assuming A320).

2) KUL-BKK. Either TG or LH due to the *A membership and I'm personally biased towards aligned-carriers due to many varied benefits. I voted for TG but am also happy to go with LH. I get a choice between the 2 to accrue FF miles. My *G status benefits (lounge access, priority boarding etc) makes EY flying more comfortable. I'm inclined to go with TG for the better schedules, nicer food, and (assuming TG 772s) better EY cabins. Am willing to give up the paltry 25% SEN executive bonus I'd get on LH for all those. However LH sometimes has very good deals in business on that segment.

3) domestic flight within P Malaysia - see answer to 1)

Edited by Keith T

I still prefer MH

I'm actually a last minute planner, mostly bought my ticket last minutes. If i can make early planning, i would get the cheaper AK flight.

If international flight (within Asia or Europe) I also take MH because of I can get Exxonmobil corporate discount if I fly on Business class. I get full sponsored ticket if my dad book it for me.

Exxonmobil don't allowed any LCC if want to get full sponsored fare.

Azuddin

Edited by Azuddin

I've resolved to stop collectiong complete sets of Going Places magazine this year, some months ago. So there is no more compelling reason to fly MH every month. I may fly them once in a while within peninsular, but not as often as before.

AK has always been the airline of choice for flights between Peninsular and Sabah or Sarawak, as their fares are reasonable and sensible, unlike MH which charges way too much on fares, fees and surcharges. Also some MH flights require transit, therefore one would have to pay additional airport tax, which is unnecessary on AK which has flights to all popular sectors non-stop from KUL. Also AK has new planes with crystal clear windows, so my photographs will have greater clarity through the windows of AK's A320s than MH's all-scratched-up windows on B734s!

I like to try other carriers. Thus for flights to a foreign country within the region, I will opt for an airline of that country, provided the airline is reputable.

Anything intercontinental, of course Singapore Airlines. They have always beaten MH, and will continue to do so in the years to come.

Also some MH flights require transit, therefore one would have to pay additional airport tax...

Unless MH has departed from the industry standard, a transit (any stop of less than 24 hrs) does not attract airport taxes.

You'd however be liable for extra fuel surcharges when connecting to a different flight as these nonsense fines are charged per sector.

Edited by Keith T

I'm not clear about the breakdown of those silly surcharges and tax on MH, but I did a sample KBR-PEN booking, with the flight transiting at KUL. A normal one way non-stop flight (assuming there is) would have all-in extra charges of RM57 on top of fare, but this KBR-PEN via KUL is a whopping RM105. Probably just additional fuel surcharge and mysterious admin fee but no airport tax. The problem with MH online booking system is it lumps together all charges.

A flight I wanted to take LBU-MYY-LMN on MASWings do have double airport tax as told by MAS callcentre, since it is considered a point-to-point service. MAS could only book me sector by sector and not LBU-LMN to bypass additional airport tax. Since it cost over RM550 return, I declined to take the flight and opt for ferry instead. FAX could have done the same sector for less than half of what MASWings is charging.

Given the limited selection, I still prefer MAS for all sectors if price is not a problem. As for KUL-BKK, I would prefer to choose MAS and Thai. I am not much of a fan of low cost carriers. I must admit that price could force me into taking AK although it is not to my liking.

I must make myself clear, although I've opted MH as my 'first choice' for flights between Peninsular Malaysia and East Malaysia, that is just 'first choice', and usually reality is cruel! And since the recent downgrad of MAS, the 'first choice' will deminish fast.

If MH sees this website, they may claim they still the 'first choice', but bare in mind that 'first choice' doesn't mean ultimate choice.

I must make myself clear, although I've opted MH as my 'first choice' for flights between Peninsular Malaysia and East Malaysia, that is just 'first choice', and usually reality is cruel! And since the recent downgrad of MAS, the 'first choice' will deminish fast.

If MH sees this website, they may claim they still the 'first choice', but bare in mind that 'first choice' doesn't mean ultimate choice.

So far the vote seem to show that AK is the first choice for domestic and on the random regional sector, they still come in second. While this is not a controlled or proper survey, if I was running MH I would be very worried. But they since MH is a GLC, they most likely don't give a damm as long as gaju masuk, dapat saham and dapat makan extra cukuplah!

i'd fly AK wherever i go. why? because i only pay 25% of the tix price. haha!

I'd fly MAS, because I need to pay only 10% of the ticket price for myself and my immediate family.

I'd fly MAS, because I need to pay only 10% of the ticket price for myself and my immediate family.

Since MH changed to ZED-fares for me (now paying for length of route i.s.o. percentage of fare-basis), it's cheaper for me to fly on AK (when booked a few months ahead of time), besides it's a booked seat as well and not a stand-by... ;)

1. Definately Malaysia Airlines. But might choose to fly with AK in the future as i see no more reason for me to fly MAS. I paid RM1000 (the full return Y fare) from BKI to KUL several times this year (last minute booking). But will not do so when they start serving the stupid snackbox on all KUL/BKI flights.

2. Definately Thai Airways. No doubt. Malaysia Airlines is a joke on this sector. No IFE, stupid snackbox, small plane (except the 3.15pm flight). MAS is serving the same snackbox as LH on this sector but LH charge only RM500+ while lowest return Y fare on MAS is RM800+ <_>

3. Most probably AK as i see no reason to fly with MH as there isn't huge difference on MH's 50 minutes flight and AK's.

Edited by Isaac

MH of course, I work with the government. So why worry? Free tickets, tonnes of enrich points. Got upgraded to GCC if I fly overseas.

Hmm....for the sake of leisure travel, better find the cheaper option! Either LCC or Full service, price still considered on the top of everything.

That's how MAS gets filled up with pax... The gov is fond of conducting seminars, workshops, courses, 'lawatan sambil belajar B.S.' etc etc., which sometimes is just an excuse to jalan-jalan.

For example, we have department officers in Terengganu sent for kursus in Hotel Perkasa overlooking Mount Kinabalu (was it really a trip for the kursus (course), or the course was a side activity?), KDRM officers in Kota Kinabalu flown to KL for a 1 day meeting, Khidmat Negara kids flown across the south china sea kununnya untuk perpaduan nasional.. On top of that, can also claim this and that 'expenses'.

When personal money is involved, naturally one would want to get the best value, hence Air Asia :)

would stick to mh for time being.. for domestic....reason being it uses air bridge that is convenient for families with seniors and toddlers....

international... well, not mh for sure... unless redeeming enrich or company appoint mh as carrier

Given the ageing fleet with the limited service available on MH, AK may be my preferred choice in the future. I havent tried AK yet ever since they started with the LCC concept.

I choose AK for domestic (between Peninsular M'sia to Borneo) since they started using the A320. So far haven't experience any long delays. And I prefer the option to purchase your meals when and if you want them. For domestic travel within Peninsular Malaysia, I usually just drive.

I've never flown to BKK, only took train and bus to BKK during my student days. But I still prefer AK for the saving in costs.

Even without Express Boarding, I usually still able to get window seat of my choice (usually at the back of the aircraft).

I've never been spoiled by the comfort and luxury of Business Class or First Class to the point that I don't know what I'm missing. So LCC is okay for me. I might change my mind in the future though.

That's how MAS gets filled up with pax... The gov is fond of conducting seminars, workshops, courses, 'lawatan sambil belajar B.S.' etc etc., which sometimes is just an excuse to jalan-jalan.

For example, we have department officers in Terengganu sent for kursus in Hotel Perkasa overlooking Mount Kinabalu (was it really a trip for the kursus (course), or the course was a side activity?), KDRM officers in Kota Kinabalu flown to KL for a 1 day meeting, Khidmat Negara kids flown across the south china sea kununnya untuk perpaduan nasional.. On top of that, can also claim this and that 'expenses'.

When personal money is involved, naturally one would want to get the best value, hence Air Asia :)

I am one of the trainer/facilitator/speaker/manager for quite a number of Malaysian government department or GLC. But I work for a small private company. The government pay my company to do training for them but they make their own travelling, lodging and meal arrangements.

You know, the government, they are always willing to pay premium for lodging, food and travel but only a small percent of their 'peruntukan kursus' goes to the consultants. Yes, this is the mindset of many government servants. And they always insists on us consultant to give each participants free t-shirts/bags rather than high quality books (mostly written by Western authors which we read and consult with). And I can confirm with Rozhan, many of these 'kursus' actually excuse for 'jalan-jalan'. I find the private sector are more serious in learning and training. However, the newer and younger generation of government servants are more open and curious to learn compared to the seniors.

So, the funny thing is, me and staff would usually fly AK to these 'kursus', and we would stay at cheaper hotels/rooms so that the saving in cost, we can make up for our company and personal income while our clients, which sometimes are just clerks, office boys or personal assistance would fly MH in economy and stay at 5-star hotels. If their boss travel, i.e. Ketua Jabatan/Ketua Pengarah, well, they often fly Business Class in MH.

Edited by Fitri Shukri

So, the funny thing is, me and staff would usually fly AK to these 'kursus', and we would stay at cheaper hotels/rooms so that the saving in cost, we can make up for our company and personal income while our clients, which sometimes are just clerks, office boys or personal assistance would fly MH in economy and stay at 5-star hotels. If their boss travel, i.e. Ketua Jabatan/Ketua Pengarah, well, they often fly Business Class in MH.

Something to correct here....

As for the government servants, not all are entitled to fly and stay at so called 5 star hotels. For those under grade 1-26, they are not entitled to fly except to Sabah and Sarawak. Rate for hotels is depending on which grade are you in. The higher you go, the more allocation you will get. However, since the hotel rate has increased, it's hard to get a comfortable place to stay with the current entitlement.

Let me give you guys an example (it is in Malay tho....sori aaaaa):

a. Kadar tuntutan sewa hotel Gred 41/44 ketika menjalankan tugas rasmi:

1. Semenanjung (RM160 semalam) 2. Sabah dan Sarawak (RM170 semalam);

dan elaun makan: 1. Semenanjung (RM45) 2. Sabah dan Sarawak (RM65).

b. Kadar kelayakan pakej kursus Gred 41/44: RM130 (hotel) + RM45 (makan) untuk setiap hari.

c. Kelayakan penerbangan dalam negeri : Gred 1 ke 52 (Kelas ekonomi - Gred 1 - 26 hanya boleh menggunakan waran perjalanan udara untuk penerbangan antara Semenanjung ke Sabah dan Sarawak dan sebaliknya); gred 54 dan ke atas (Kelas perniagaan)

source: Perintah Am Bab B (ELAUN ELAUN DALAM PERKHIDMATAN 1974; additional on PEKELILING PERBENDAHARAAN BIL. 3 TAHUN 2003)

Anyway, from my point of view, we the young officers normally don't mind about place to stay. As long as it has a bed and enough food to eat. Since we are dealing with the JUSA level (read : Jawatan Utama Sektor Awam) and fussy @ 'kekwat' senior officials (mind my words), we try to look for the most comfortable place we can get. Not 'bodek'ing, but more to 'menjaga periuk nasi sendiri'.

However, it is your inner side, honesty and integrity that will determine whether you're 'menghabiskan duit kerajaan' or not. So far, here in my workplace, we tend to implement the 'dasar berjimat cermat'. So, all seminars, workshop, meetings are done in-house or the farthest we can go is Melaka (south bound); Ipoh (north bound); and Kuantan (east bound). Why? Because reachable by road. Again, it depends on the management. If the management likes to 'jalan-jalan'....it will be the other way round.

Thanks...just my 'sekupang' (ten cents)

Something to correct here....

As for the government servants, not all are entitled to fly and stay at so called 5 star hotels. For those under grade 1-26, they are not entitled to fly except to Sabah and Sarawak. Rate for hotels is depending on which grade are you in. The higher you go, the more allocation you will get. However, since the hotel rate has increased, it's hard to get a comfortable place to stay with the current entitlement.

Let me give you guys an example (it is in Malay tho....sori aaaaa):

a. Kadar tuntutan sewa hotel Gred 41/44 ketika menjalankan tugas rasmi:

1. Semenanjung (RM160 semalam) 2. Sabah dan Sarawak (RM170 semalam);

dan elaun makan: 1. Semenanjung (RM45) 2. Sabah dan Sarawak (RM65).

b. Kadar kelayakan pakej kursus Gred 41/44: RM130 (hotel) + RM45 (makan) untuk setiap hari.

c. Kelayakan penerbangan dalam negeri : Gred 1 ke 52 (Kelas ekonomi - Gred 1 - 26 hanya boleh menggunakan waran perjalanan udara untuk penerbangan antara Semenanjung ke Sabah dan Sarawak dan sebaliknya); gred 54 dan ke atas (Kelas perniagaan)

source: Perintah Am Bab B (ELAUN ELAUN DALAM PERKHIDMATAN 1974; additional on PEKELILING PERBENDAHARAAN BIL. 3 TAHUN 2003)

Anyway, from my point of view, we the young officers normally don't mind about place to stay. As long as it has a bed and enough food to eat. Since we are dealing with the JUSA level (read : Jawatan Utama Sektor Awam) and fussy @ 'kekwat' senior officials (mind my words), we try to look for the most comfortable place we can get. Not 'bodek'ing, but more to 'menjaga periuk nasi sendiri'.

However, it is your inner side, honesty and integrity that will determine whether you're 'menghabiskan duit kerajaan' or not. So far, here in my workplace, we tend to implement the 'dasar berjimat cermat'. So, all seminars, workshop, meetings are done in-house or the farthest we can go is Melaka (south bound); Ipoh (north bound); and Kuantan (east bound). Why? Because reachable by road. Again, it depends on the management. If the management likes to 'jalan-jalan'....it will be the other way round.

Thanks...just my 'sekupang' (ten cents)

Affendi,

Hope all government servant are like you. Then Malaysia will have a much better and efficient public service.

But what is written in the 'Perintah Am' doesn't always translate to real action.

I have many friends working in goverment (age between 28 to 30 yrs old), mostly based in Putrajaya. They're an honest lot and very hardworking and I hope they will reshape the public service in the future.

The first question I think would depending where you want to go. For example, if I want to go from KUL-TWU, obviously AK is a bit better because it is cheaper and a 3 hours direct flight. Most people would opt for that. I don't mind to go with MH which means doing KUL-BKI-TWU, stopping at BKI is a must, although they used to fly direct as well for a little while. Going via BKI means you can hop on to the A330 or B772, especially the KUL-BKI-NRT flight which Isaac likes very much :p

It is only good for leisure traveller and not in a rush to get to point B.

Edited by S V Choong

MH is going down hill at an alarming rate. just had a look at wikipedia and the destinations MH serves - they only serve 58 international destinations now from KUL. therefore KUL has lost 36 destinations served by MH, and a further 12 by other airlines:

Prague

Bratislava

Sofia

Moscow

Bishkek

Almaty

Belgrade

Mahe

Amman

Detroit (sort of)

Christchurch

Warsaw

KUL will be the LCC hub of ASEAN - flying to ASEAN destinations! Wow....we should be so proud of MAHB and MH's efforts. MH will become like garuda and PAL with mostly regional flights while SQ and TG are expanding.

They still serve many destinations with less than adequate frequency and capacity. I'm sure more routes will get chopped off soon.

well done MH anyways - we have managed to get the RAS service! TF has conned everyone and is now counting his cash!