MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Azri M.

If you were running a LCC, what would you do to improve the flying experience?

I used to fly with Southwest airlines in the US, which Airasia is 'copying' its business model. Southwest doesn't have allocated seat but they board the pax on 'first come, first board basis'.

First 20 pax that check-in will be given a specific color card (say red), then the next 20 pax another color card (say blue). When its time to board, only those pax with red color card can board, follow by other color card.

This is a very fair system & avoid everyone rushing to board the plane like 'kids'.

same technique adopted by JQ. ;)

same technique adopted by JQ. ;)

And Easyjet....on the other hand, BMIbaby, which I flew just recently, had seats allocated when checking-in at AMS and even on-line check-in (via PC) for a few UK airports, like BHX (so, I checked in for BHX-AMS earlier than AMS-BHX :lol: ); also, they participate in BD's FFP, so you can earn Star Alliance mileage on WW (don't know what the mileage was, though)...

Other than that, the offered catering was extremely expensive, pitch was lousy and on-time performance was poor: in other words - never again WW !!!

I dont know whether this is in much practice anymore in Thai AirAsia.

Azri

Just took the MFM-KUL flight on last month, colour code bording not in practice.

Good news for those who want to have a breeze at good seats.

AirAsia introduces 'Xpress Boarding'

May 14, 2007

SEPANG – AirAsia, the leading and largest low cost carrier in Asia, will soon introduce a new service; ‘Xpress Boarding’ beginning 15 May 2007. ‘Xpress Boarding’ will offer guests greatest choice over their seating arrangements onboard the aircraft. This new service provides guests the opportunity to be amongst the first to board and have the greatest choice of seats, ahead of the general boarding group at an introductory fee of RM20 one way. By paying a little more, guests may select their choice of seating, from front row seats, to aisle and window seats for their own expediency and convenience.

AirAsia, who practices a free-seating policy will extend the Xpress Boarding service to all airports within its network including those serviced by its sister companies, Thai AirAsia and Indonesia AirAsia. This service allows those who are prepared to pay a little extra to enjoy a head start to select the seat of their choice on a first come first served basis.

The airline’s free-seating policy encourages guests to be punctual at the boarding gate which is a crucial element for the airline’s 25-minute turnaround. A quick turnaround translates to cost savings, enhance operation efficiency which will in return be passed on to the guests, enabling the airline to offer consistent low fares.

Kathleen Tan, Executive Vice President, Commercial of AirAsia, said “We are constantly on our toes in innovating our product and services and with our extensive route network with the Airbus A320, AirAsia is attracting a more diverse group of travelers with special requests who are prepared to pay a little more for the enhanced service. We believe at the initial stage, most of our guests that are likely to take up this boarding service will consist of business, corporate and middle income travelers who are keen to get off the aircraft ahead of the rest upon landing. We believe this service will also prove enormously attractive for families who want to be able to sit together without the fuss of rushing to reserve seats and avoid the frustrating long queues upon boarding.”

“Today’s announcement is one of our steps to offer innovative products that meet the demand of the ever changing schedule of diverse target segment profiles; adapting to new consumer needs. This service has proven to be very popular amongst the other low cost carriers such as Europe’s leading and largest low fare airlines like EasyJet and Wizz Air. Xpress Boarding is nice to have; but it is not a must have” added Kathleen.

Xpress Boarding is sold online on a first come first served basis as part of the normal flight booking process at www.airasia.com or at any of the airline’s Sales Offices, Airport Sales Counters or Call Centre. Guests with Xpress Boarding may proceed directly to the boarding gate and be amongst the first to board and should be at the boarding gate no later than 30 minutes before the flight is scheduled to depart.

Fees:

Currency Xpress Boarding Fee

Malaysian Ringgit (MYR) 20.00

Thai Baht (BHT) 215.00

Indonesian Rupiah (IDR) 55,000.00

US Dollar (USD) 6.50

Macau Patacas (MOP) 50.00

Singapore Dollar (SGD) 9.50

Brunei Dollar (BND) 9.50

Chinese Yuan (CNY) 50.00

Philippine Peso(PHP) 300.00

Ooh - Xpress boarding sounds neat. Will check it out when I log in tomorrow.

Finally what the lady at the counter said about RM20 for priority boarding has been confirmed with this press release. But I think RM20 is a bit high, maybe RM10 would be nice. But then an A320 is pretty long and there are plenty of opportunities for window seats without Xpress Boarding.

I notice that queue jumpers who try to sneak in among pax with children and the elderly are politely but firmly told by the gate personnel to queue at the normal row with the crowd. I like that.

Walter, the chicken rendang is still there with the nasi lemak.

Edited by Rozhan

RM20 for Express boarding. Is there a limit on the number of Xpress Boarding ticket sold?

Imagine 160 pax for an A320. All paid RM20 extra for Xpress Boarding. AK make RM3200 extra. Pax still have to rush for seat. :pardon:

May 14, 2007

I have no problem with free seating. Anyway, in Tawau I once saw a bloke who 'borrowed' somebody's baby so that could get priority boarding. He also potong queue when checking in. There's one born every second. 46.gif

+++

Imagine 160 pax for an A320. All paid RM20 extra for Xpress Boarding. AK make RM3200 extra. Pax still have to rush for seat. :pardon:

Hahaha ... say no more! Maybe pay extra to reserve your nasi lemak too?

+++

And on the other extreme.....

You paid RM20 for Xpress boarding. You find out later there is only 30 pax for the flight..... How many nasi lemak you could've bought with that?

And on the other extreme.....

You paid RM20 for Xpress boarding. You find out later there is only 30 pax for the flight..... How many nasi lemak you could've bought with that?

this is a good one...

I'd rather take the gamble. And being able to get an aisle seat on the bulkhead would be nice. :) Assuming the extreme scenario of all 200 pax having paid for xpress boarding doesn't happen. :p

BTW it's 15th May and no sign of a link to book 'Xpress Boarding' on airasia.com? :huh:

Maybe it's only possible for new itineraries.

Might give them a call later.

edited to add: confirmed with call center. Was on hold for pretty long though. Praise be to skype.

Edited by Keith T

Well,well....what an topic :lol:

Here's my answer to that question:

-Minimizing the flight delay

-Improve the on-time departure & arrivals,

-Improve the inflight services (prices for F&B served on board,and also other products,if available such as souvenirs),

-create a special Flyer Frequent Program (FFP) for LCC,

-assigned seatings (to avoid hassles during boarding)

I want PTV especially the AVOD one. Please make this come true, particularly for AirAsia Long Haul :clapping:

Edited by Azri M.

I'd rather take the gamble. And being able to get an aisle seat on the bulkhead would be nice. :) Assuming the extreme scenario of all 200 pax having paid for xpress boarding doesn't happen. :p

BTW it's 15th May and no sign of a link to book 'Xpress Boarding' on airasia.com? :huh:

Maybe it's only possible for new itineraries.

Might give them a call later.

edited to add: confirmed with call center. Was on hold for pretty long though. Praise be to skype.

AK had sent out the emails for all it's member on today on their Xpress Boarding service. Here's some of the important notes in their flyer:

1. Say 'YES' to Xpress Boarding when you purchase your flights online at www.airasia.com; all AirAsia sales offices, call centres

and airport sales counters.

2. Pay a special introductory fee. (refer to RM20 for Malaysian)

3. Be at the boarding gate at least 30 minutes before

4. If you take up Xpress Boarding, you will not be able to use the Web Check-in service

Doesn't like the idea where you can only choose either Xpress Boarding or Web check-in, not both.

Ahh cheers for that.

Doesn't like the idea where you can only choose either Xpress Boarding or Web check-in, not both.

I only ever used OLCI to secure my favourite seat. Given that there is no seat pre-allocation with AK, the inability to use OLCI doesn't matter for me.

Edited by Keith T

May 14, 2007

SEPANG – AirAsia, the leading and largest low cost carrier in Asia, will soon introduce a new service; ‘Xpress Boarding’ beginning 15 May 2007. ‘Xpress Boarding’ will offer guests greatest choice over their seating arrangements onboard the aircraft. This new service provides guests the opportunity to be amongst the first to board and have the greatest choice of seats, ahead of the general boarding group at an introductory fee of RM20 one way. By paying a little more, guests may select their choice of seating, from front row seats, to aisle and window seats for their own expediency and convenience.

The airline’s free-seating policy encourages guests to be punctual at the boarding gate which is a crucial element for the airline’s 25-minute turnaround. A quick turnaround translates to cost savings, enhance operation efficiency which will in return be passed on to the guests, enabling the airline to offer consistent low fares.

Translation; AK pax don’t understand rules, better to treat like cattle. :angry: <_ src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_sorry.gif" alt=":sorry:">

Xpress boarding is a quick way for AK to make extra bucks. Actually, it doesn’t cost much for AK to implement seat assignment.

:drinks:

AK had sent out the emails for all it's member on today on their Xpress Boarding service. Here's some of the important notes in their flyer:

1. Say 'YES' to Xpress Boarding when you purchase your flights online at www.airasia.com; all AirAsia sales offices, call centres

and airport sales counters.

2. Pay a special introductory fee. (refer to RM20 for Malaysian)

3. Be at the boarding gate at least 30 minutes before

4. If you take up Xpress Boarding, you will not be able to use the Web Check-in service

I really don't get it. I thought having both Xpress Boarding would complemet the Web Check in. I mean, now passengers can get to the plane even quicker and less hassle. If someone decide to use both facilities, one can just do the web check-in, arrive 30 min bfore, boarding, and then get to the flight straight away without waiting.

But according to the rule, it cant be done? WHHHYYY???? I dont see why it cannot be done and whats the rationale behind it . :blink: :help:

Geeezzz... didn't know this xpress lane scenario is already being discussed here. I have started a new thread here.

I'll be more thorough next time.

Sorry. Hahahah...

Edited by ewan shamsudin

No Ewan, this thread here is discussing on AK's "Xpress Boarding" system, the pros and cons etc etc.

The thread you started is about one of those all too common nowadays 'get rich quick' scheme - yes, you can do it online too if you wish. Everytime you click on the appropriate spot, a certain Datuk gets richer :)

This appeared in our local paper here few days ago :

xpressboardinglg7.jpg

It is a sad day when the needs of the elderly, pregnant and those with children rank second to profit generation for AK's shareholders

xpresspic2xk9.gif

Edited by BC Tam