MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Eugene Koh

3 New Airlines To Serve KLIA

ahahahaha........the KUL-CGK war

now, who would've thought that it would ever be debated....used to be KUL vs BKK/SIN.....what next? KUL vs Manila? blink.gif

The more the merrier. I just hope any new airlines coming to KUL will do so in daylight. We have dedicated people here ready to advertise the fact (that they are in KUL) for free.

MAHB gaining investor interest

By B.K. SIDHU in Copenhagen

Two years ago, not many analysts would want to take a second look at Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) as its passenger and financial numbers were just not convincing enough to justify a re-rating of the stock.

Things began to take a different turn a few weeks back. CitiGroup Smith Barney was among the first research houses to recommend the stock. Many analysts are now beginning to see the growth potential of MAHB, and they like the fact that the Finance Ministry (MoF)-led financial restructuring at MAHB is nearing completion.

“(This is) because we have shown (the marketplace) that MAHB has potential and we have grown in terms of passenger numbers and upgraded our services,'' managing director Datuk Seri Bashir Ahmad told StarBiz.

“We are continuously upgrading our ground service levels and all our processes. We have cut costs wherever we can (but not compromising on service quality). However, we also have to spend some money to upgrade certain facilities.

â€Changes are taking place. Our aim is to be a well-managed airport (operator) that looks after the interests of passengers and airlines that are our customers,'' he said, adding that an improvement in services and the sustainability of profits were critical.

He did not, however, give any hint of the full-year earnings outlook. MAHB's net profit reached RM90.4mil in the January to June period versus RM27.5mil in the same period last year.

“The last three months of the year are critical and we cannot predict the traffic numbers,'' he said. This is despite the fact that November and December are considered peak periods due to the school holidays.

The airport operator has embarked on several initiatives to ensure that MAHB is well managed. One was to change the way business was done at the airport, whereby the airport operator becomes proactive with service levels, upgrades its processes and revs up the non-aeronautical (commercial) revenues.

Bashir said that by 2008/09, the company expected equal contribution from its commercial and aeronautical divisions against 35:65 currently, given the initiatives taken to increase retail space.

Earlier, he told a press conference it was becoming harder to increase aeronautical revenue, thus the move to raise commercial revenue.

“It is not going to be easy as there are a lot of things to do but we have to enhance our competitiveness,'' he said, adding that plans were under way to increase retail space by 10%–15%.

The KL International Airport (KLIA) expects to handle 23 million passengers this year, up from 21.5 million in 2004. Today, 50 airlines fly into the KLIA, and by year-end, there would be 53.

Bashir said that up to August, “we touched a 12% increase in passenger traffic compared with the same period a year ago,’’ with growth coming from the Far East, including China, India and the Middle East.

He has forecast passenger traffic to grow 6%–7% over the next five years.

At the Routes 2005 forum being held here, several carriers indicated interest to fly to KLIA, including Shanghai Airlines, Finnair and Aer Lingus. Pakistan International Airlines is among several airlines looking to increase frequency.

“We would like to see a European carrier flying to KLIA. We would like British Airways (BA) to come back and another new carrier such as Air France or Alitalia to fly in, besides more charter planes,'' Bashir said.

On Monday, Bashir and his team met officials from BA to cajole them into flying to KLIA and the response has been encouraging.

The future of MAHB, however, also hinges on how fast its financial restructuring can be completed. The company owes the government RM846mil in compensation payments and others.

The restructuring is intended to resolve a lot of issues. When Bashir came onboard, he worked on that first as he felt that MAHB needed to resolve the issue to move forward.

A decision to add a second satellite building also hinges on the speed with which the restructuring is completed. Bashir expects the exercise to be completed at the end of the year, followed by a decision on the second satellite building.

The airport operator is also pushing ahead with plans to accommodate the A380 when the aircraft flies to KLIA in mid-2007 or earlier.

It expects to call a tender for an A380 facility by next month with completion by the end of 2006. That should see KLIA having five aerobridges to accommodate the A380s.

Bashir said the cost was estimated at RM110mil.

He said work on the dedicated RM108mil low-cost terminal was “progressing on schedule''. The facility, which would be able to handle 10 million passengers, is slated for completion in the first quarter of next year.

MAHB gaining investor interest

By B.K. SIDHU in Copenhagen

Two years ago, not many analysts would want to take a second look at Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) as its passenger and financial numbers were just not convincing enough to justify a re-rating of the stock.

Things began to take a different turn a few weeks back. CitiGroup Smith Barney was among the first research houses to recommend the stock. Many analysts are now beginning to see the growth potential of MAHB, and they like the fact that the Finance Ministry (MoF)-led financial restructuring at MAHB is nearing completion.

“(This is) because we have shown (the marketplace) that MAHB has potential and we have grown in terms of passenger numbers and upgraded our services,'' managing director Datuk Seri Bashir Ahmad told StarBiz.

“We are continuously upgrading our ground service levels and all our processes. We have cut costs wherever we can (but not compromising on service quality). However, we also have to spend some money to upgrade certain facilities.

”Changes are taking place. Our aim is to be a well-managed airport (operator) that looks after the interests of passengers and airlines that are our customers,'' he said, adding that an improvement in services and the sustainability of profits were critical.

He did not, however, give any hint of the full-year earnings outlook. MAHB's net profit reached RM90.4mil in the January to June period versus RM27.5mil in the same period last year.

“The last three months of the year are critical and we cannot predict the traffic numbers,'' he said. This is despite the fact that November and December are considered peak periods due to the school holidays.

The airport operator has embarked on several initiatives to ensure that MAHB is well managed. One was to change the way business was done at the airport, whereby the airport operator becomes proactive with service levels, upgrades its processes and revs up the non-aeronautical (commercial) revenues.

Bashir said that by 2008/09, the company expected equal contribution from its commercial and aeronautical divisions against 35:65 currently, given the initiatives taken to increase retail space.

Earlier, he told a press conference it was becoming harder to increase aeronautical revenue, thus the move to raise commercial revenue.

“It is not going to be easy as there are a lot of things to do but we have to enhance our competitiveness,'' he said, adding that plans were under way to increase retail space by 10%–15%.

The KL International Airport (KLIA) expects to handle 23 million passengers this year, up from 21.5 million in 2004. Today, 50 airlines fly into the KLIA, and by year-end, there would be 53.

Bashir said that up to August, “we touched a 12% increase in passenger traffic compared with the same period a year ago,’’ with growth coming from the Far East, including China, India and the Middle East.

He has forecast passenger traffic to grow 6%–7% over the next five years.

At the Routes 2005 forum being held here, several carriers indicated interest to fly to KLIA, including Shanghai Airlines, Finnair and Aer Lingus. Pakistan International Airlines is among several airlines looking to increase frequency.

“We would like to see a European carrier flying to KLIA. We would like British Airways (BA) to come back and another new carrier such as Air France or Alitalia to fly in, besides more charter planes,'' Bashir said.

On Monday, Bashir and his team met officials from BA to cajole them into flying to KLIA and the response has been encouraging.

The future of MAHB, however, also hinges on how fast its financial restructuring can be completed. The company owes the government RM846mil in compensation payments and others.

The restructuring is intended to resolve a lot of issues. When Bashir came onboard, he worked on that first as he felt that MAHB needed to resolve the issue to move forward.

A decision to add a second satellite building also hinges on the speed with which the restructuring is completed. Bashir expects the exercise to be completed at the end of the year, followed by a decision on the second satellite building.

The airport operator is also pushing ahead with plans to accommodate the A380 when the aircraft flies to KLIA in mid-2007 or earlier.

It expects to call a tender for an A380 facility by next month with completion by the end of 2006. That should see KLIA having five aerobridges to accommodate the A380s.

Bashir said the cost was estimated at RM110mil.

He said work on the dedicated RM108mil low-cost terminal was “progressing on schedule''. The facility, which would be able to handle 10 million passengers, is slated for completion in the first quarter of next year.

8638[/snapback]

I find it hard to believe that Aer Lingus is contemplating commencing operations to KUL. Currently it's mainly a regional carrier servicing most parts of Europe, and providing a link between Shannon and Dublin, and parts of the USA (especially Boston due to the high number of Irish Americans residing there). It's basically a low cost carrier, except for the long haul services. The only possibility I can think of is a DUB-KUL service via another major hub, most likely BKK over SIN to avoid direct competition with its oneworld partners. If bigger carriers from more established hubs like LH with FRA do not provide direct services to KUL I doubt a small carrier from a tiny hub like EI would. On the whole, EI is just a piece of junk whose main purpose is to feed pax into BA at Heathrow. Harsh but true. Rather sad when compared to what they were b4 they became an LCC (or shall I say - high cost, low service carrier).

Now Finnair to KUL, now that's something to look forward to! biggrin.gif I've only ever been on them between SIN and BKK, but they're not only an above average carrier (unlike EI) - they offer pretty cheap fares too (not to mention 100% mileage accrual on all fares!).

As for BA, it's quite bizarre but my contacts in the BA offices in the UK indicate that KUL is not even considered. This is despite the MH flights to London being very full, as I've read elsewhere on this forum.

Edited by Keith T

EI flying into KUL ? COuld be possible via a codeshare but starting services to KUL either with a stop in DXB or when they do get their B777, they may start services to SYD via KUL perhaps if it is possible.

BA, as always, will not start operations because they are retricted by OWorld partner, Qantas, who wants SIN as their base in SEAsia. Unless BA has KUL in mind as a onward flight from BKK or MAA ? But its very unlikely to happen after all the fuss. But who knows, a miracle might happen.

On FINNAIR, I think there is a high possibility now of a direct HEL-KUL-HEL flight especially after it was mooted by the Malaysian King's visit to Finland recently.

It could be a great competition for MH on the KUL-ARN-KUL route.

What amazes me also is that MAHB says it wants "a" European carrier to fly into KUL but hardly recognizes KL, LH and OS's presence here. It will be a big blow if these airlines decide to pull out of KUL.

tongue.gif

What amazes me also is that MAHB says it wants "a" European carrier to fly into KUL but hardly recognizes KL, LH and OS's presence here. It will be a big blow if these airlines decide to pull out of KUL.

8657[/snapback]

i dont think they meant it that way.......just the fact that KLIA has been welcoming a hodge-podge of Asian carriers lately, it would be nice to see more European carriers coming in besides the current three

as for EI, it would have to be a one stop service most probably in BKK.....none of their current aircrafts can be deployed on a DUB-KUL route non-stop AFAIK

and as for EY, great news! an M-11 is always welcome wink.gif

little do ppl know that a while ago (during the Wings alliance era), Alitalia had actually announced intentions to mount an MXP-KUL-SYD service utilising a 772, but alas it never materialised...think they should now reconsider.....was in Langkawi late last year, and it was infested with Italians.....no joke!

all in all.....a great effort from MAHB......think they got a smacking on their butts to get their acts together asap as KUL is no longer competing against just BKK and SIN regionally....but also against the up and coming CGK!

that is good news for KLIA... if indeed its true.

kul 1 cgk 0.

next is mnl....then sgn

hehehe

muhammad! Satu-Kosong!!! hehehehe

Edited by Jamie H

BA, as always, will not start operations because they are retricted by OWorld partner, Qantas, who wants SIN as their base in SEAsia. Unless BA has KUL in mind as a onward flight from BKK or MAA ? But its very unlikely to happen after all the fuss. But who knows, a miracle might happen.

8657[/snapback]

BA can make money if LHR-KUL-CGK

BA can make even more money if LHR-KUL-PER

VS can make money if LHR-KUL-MEL/PER

Don't forget that BA has divested its stake in Qantas, and the one world membership is more so for Qantas pax to gain access to a wider variety of European destinations. SIN may be a base, but I'm not sure if calling it a hub in this case makes much sense... It is only a hub for pax travelling between Australia and Europe and MAINLY for Qantas... BA's ops into Australia were cut by Qantas as at the time they were equity partners...

Let's make some sense of it now:

1. BA no longer holds a stake at Qantas

2. Qantas is often labelled a 'big-bully' in the world of aviation. Take for example the recent takeover of Valuair by Jetstar-Asia... Valuair as of Oct 9th will no longer fly SIN-PER-SIN... WHY?! They had good yields!!! Just a bit of reorganising and they could have thrived! PROTECTIONISM! Also Qantas refuses to let SQ use Sydney or Brisbane as a point to commence services to the USA, but QF aggresively challenges SQ on its most important european sectors such as Frankfurt and London. Qantas demanded BA stop servicing Perth so that they could take-over the services... at the time BA was restructuring its route network.. Perth was always full for BA! Why stop?!?

3. No connections by either airline into KUL from the hub at SIN

4. The only connection for BA is via HKG! what the?!

BA can start services to Malaysia anytime they like. The yield and loads are there! Exploit it! Provide competition for MAS.

To be frank, I couldn't care less if AO or QF don't wanna fly into Malaysia.. they've made it that clear, so be it. BA on the other hand is more important, and Malaysia should fight to have them return.

Finnair, yeah I can see that would be nice for spotters smile.gif is there much tourist traffic? or maybe Tourism Malaysia more actively promoting the nation in that country?

Aer Lingus? WHY NOT! Time the Irish had a carrier to be proud of. Lots of Malaysians studying in Ireland also, and the number of Irish in Australia that would use this service I'm sure is great. Irish can holiday in Malaysia also, they al like the sunny weather smile.gif

Edited by Sandeep G

agree with sandeep...EI, AY and BA are most welcome... loads of malaysians travel to DUB for their studies in ireland, and EI can capitalise on the Europe-Ozzie traffic via KUL.

OR they can codeshare with BA once they start flights to KUL (how about that?)

HEL-KUL has been mentioned many times....charter flights by AY to PEN have happened in the past....so why not KUL? Scandinavia-M'sia direct flights hardly reflect the total number of scandinavian arrivals here...

I remember the failed AZ service to SYD via KUL (never really happened so can we say 'failed'?). would be interesting to see if Bashir's words come to reality.

MS also was going to fly CAI-KUL-SYD after pulling out from SYD but they ended up with financial difficulties and therefore had to suspend low yielding routes (KUL is very frequently mentioned after that phrase, recently)

QF i agree can piss off. we don't want them here and we don't care.

Jamie.... lets make it a hattrick and kill off BKK and SIN at the same time!

MAHB, like the national football team lack the oohm...the need some more belacan...

Jamie.... lets make it a hattrick and kill off BKK and SIN at the same time!

8678[/snapback]

hehehe......in my opinion.......i think SIN is still catchable......but on the other hand, BKK is in a different league altogether........can u believe they were the 14th busiest airport in the world last year, and 3rd in Asia after Haneda and Narita.....amazing huh? my bro's best friend brought him to visit the Suvarnabhumi construction site whilst holidaying in Bangkok, and he told me "Put it this way.....it is GI-normous"

MAHB, like the national football team lack the oohm...the need some more belacan...

Just like the current English football team!!!

I still don't get why QF don't wanna fly to KUL. Is KUL THAT bad ? dry.gif I know they have traffic rights in 3 Malaysian airports namely KUL, BKI & KCH.

But whats stopping them then ?

I heard because QF doesn't want fly to fly to KUL dry.gif

they dont want to fly to KUL because the have made a huge investment in SIN to be their air hub.

imagine...SIN has SYD shuttle flights (7 x daily) by QF or something ridiculous like that in the 80s...i don't know what it is now.

they dont want to fly to KUL because the have made a huge investment in SIN to be their air hub.

imagine...SIN has SYD shuttle flights (7 x daily)  by QF or something ridiculous like that in the 80s...i don't know what it is now.

8808[/snapback]

It's a 2x daily SIN-SYD now.

QF32 from LHR which departs SIN at 0900

QF6 from FRA which departs SIN at 2000

Then there's a third flight QF10 which originates from LHR and goes via SIN and MEL.

All 3 flights are operated by 744s. Note though that QF6 is operated by a 2 class a/c with the ancient Dreamtime seats in J.

Hmm how on earth did they support 7xdaily SIN-SYD? Did most of these flights originate from Europe or something?

Edited by Keith T

Keith,

I come to more than 3 flights a day on saturdays wink.gif :

QF032 744

QF010 744

QF006 744

QF082 333

not counting the code-share BA015 ... tongue.gif

Keith,

I come to more than 3 flights a day on saturdays  wink.gif :

QF032 744

QF010 744

QF006 744

QF082 333

not counting the code-share BA015 ...  tongue.gif

8820[/snapback]

QF82 is a SIN-DRW-ADL flight. At present there are no 333s flying between SIN and SYD. I might be mistaken though, maybe the ADL-SYD segment is a tag-on like QF10. But both the QF website and expertflyer failed to reveal QF82 as a flight that terminates in SYD.

The codeshare on BA15 would be QF320. biggrin.gif

So in terms of direct SIN-SYD flights on QF metal it'd be 2x daily.

Edited by Keith T

QF82 is a SIN-DRW-ADL flight. At present there are no 333s flying between SIN and SYD. I might be mistaken though, maybe the ADL-SYD segment is a tag-on like QF10. But both the QF website and expertflyer failed to reveal QF82 as a flight that terminates in SYD.

The codeshare on BA15 would be QF320. biggrin.gif

So in terms of direct SIN-SYD flights on QF metal it'd be 2x daily.

8841[/snapback]

Pieter I eat my words. QF82 does go on to SYD indeed; I performed an ADL-SYD search on expertflyer. I wonder who'd sit through SIN-DRW-ADL-SYD though? It'd be like doing an EK DXB-SIN-MEL-AKL, except that SIN and MEL are better places to spend transit time in. Well ok marginally better in MEL's case...tongue.gif

Edited by Keith T

Sandeep,

You got all the points there which I am sure BA is aware off!!!

But whats stopping them then ?

tongue.gif

8707[/snapback]

Hey Kandiah,

Probably politics and aircraft availability... smile.gif

Who knows, the amount of bureaucratic red-tape is unbelievable... surely cargo-wise there must be some fabulous traffic between London and KL right?? Perhaps what is stopping them is their one-world partner Qantas... As they do not fly into Perth or Brisbane anymore, BA codeshares with QF on come of its services into these places... Maybe they don't have rights at these airports??!? But I'm sure that's not possible.. will try a search for that info.. but if that is so, then maybe mounting a LHR-KUL-OZ run is a problem for them smile.gif

Finnish mission hopes to beef up trade with Malaysia

By AGATHA MATAYUN

IN a bid to revitalise trade activities between Finland and Malaysia, the Finnish Minister for Foreign Trade and Development, Mari Kiviniemi, will be in Kuala Lumpur from tomorrow until Oct 5 to discuss prospects of enhancing commercial and economic cooperation with her Malaysian counterpart and other government officials.

She is accompanied by a delegation of 16 businessmen representing prominent Finnish industries such as export financing, information and communications technology, and equipment and machinery manufacturing.

During a meeting with officials from the Finnish Ministry for Foreign Affairs (MFA) in Helsinki recently, Matti Pullinen, the MFA's deputy director-general for the Americas and Asia, described the visit as part of the revival in economic relations between Malaysia and Finland.

“We have had active trade relations with Malaysia, especially after the visit of our former president, Martti Ahtisaari, there in 1995,” he said. 

However, he said, there were less activities by the late 1990s mainly because of the Asian economic crisis, which had all kinds of consequences. 

“But in the last couple of years, we are again seeing better trade figures,” Pullinen said.

“Overall, activities are picking up again, and the visit of our Minister is part of that revival.”

In January 2005, according to statistics compiled by the Finnish Embassy in Kuala Lumpur, Finland’s trade with Malaysia amounted to 7.5mil euros in exports and 23.2mil euros in imports. 

“It's going to be an interesting visit, looking at the companies that will be participating,” commented Jukka Ropponen, CEO of e-learning services and solutions provider Tieturi Vision Oy, who heads the business delegation.

Among the companies taking part in the delegation are Ahlstrom Corporation (non-woven and speciality papers), HSH Nordbank AG and Nordea Bank Finland Plc (banking services), Sanako Corporation (language teaching solutions), Konecranes Pte Ltd (engineering group specialising in lifting solutions and maintenance services), Bang & Bonsomer Oy (distributor of industrial chemical specialties, plastics, and basic chemicals), Vaisala Oy (telecommunications and electronics – meteorological measurement systems), Tieturi Vision (e-learning solutions), Silo Oy (environment products), Patria Vehicles Oy (aerospace and defence industry), and Metso Corporation (process industry machinery and systems).

“We have a wide variety of companies coming, which actually shows we are very interested in doing business with Malaysian companies,” said Ropponen who has come to Malaysia several times, including last year when he visited the Education Ministry here.

“We hope to make some high level introductions, move to something concrete, where things are already happening,” said Rapponen. 

“After all, there are already a number of Finnish companies operating in Malaysia.” 

(Over 40 Finnish companies are currently operating in Malaysia and more than 100 Finnish companies are doing business with Malaysian enterprises.)

Kiviniemi is scheduled to hold talks with International Trade and Industry Minister Datuk Seri Rafidah Aziz and other government officials.

On Oct 5 there will be a Finnish-Malaysian business seminar and networking luncheon where businessmen from both countries can meet. 

“If the Malaysian business community is interested in meeting with the business delegation or knowing about Finnish companies, they can get in touch with our embassy in Kuala Lumpur,” Pullinen said.

A prelude to a resumption of air-services perhaps? we wait and see smile.gif

Sign in to follow this