MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
kandiah k

MH's Most Profitable Route(s)

Dear Forum Members,

I was browsing through another aviation forum and there were discussions on the most profitable route for certain airlines such as BA, LH and QF.

Lets start a new discussion thread on MH's most profitable route(s).

Which city do you all think is MAS' most profitable route ?

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Edited by kandiah k

Maybe KUL - AKL (Auckland)...???

the flight always seems to be full...

no doubt Amsterdam as well, as C-class usual full (good yield); moreover Y-class also 90-100% loads ohmy.gif

It's not easy to tell which route is the most profitable. Sure LHR are always quite full, but the fare quoted by MAS for LHR are often cheaper than AMS/CDG/FCO/ZRH/ARN/VIE because they have the extra capacity for this route, plus the competition they face from EK/SQ/CX on the Kangaroo Route. So the profit for LHR sector per economy class seat should be less than other European gateways. In terms of total profit, LHR could be the winner because of volume (18x weekly) and relatively high % of business travelers.

Let's see an example for flights between Cairns, Australia and Japan (except for Narita) which are now served by Australian Airlines after being handed over the routes from Qantas. Qantas, with its 3-class configuration, could not fill the front end of the aircraft adequately to make good money on this route because this is largely a leisure-based sector, flown by price-concious travelers. For this reason, flights between Cairns and Osaka/Nagoya/Fukuoka/Sapporo are all operated by economy class-only Australian Airlines. Just because a plane is often full in Y doesn't always mean that it's making good money.

One may quote that MAS flights to so-and-so destination are often full (in Y), but that's not enough to determine profitability. We need to take into account how well the premium classes are doing, and the fare MAS charge - the less competition on the route, the higher MAS can afford to charge their passengers. Economy cabin does not need to be *that* full if an airline can fill the premium classes adequately.

Edited by Keno Omar

Economy cabin does not need to be *that* full if an airline can fill the premium classes adequately.

8071[/snapback]

That's exactly what I meant with the AMS flight (MH017):

Last week's load in C-class (48seats):

35, 19, 45, 48, 48, 44, 31 !!!

True...EY doest determine everything..but MH's KUL-LHR is one of the routes with the highest amount of front end pax..every flights GCCL is quite full..and the FC has got a relatively high load...so obviously..they are making big bucks from KUL-LHR..as in revenue...but then..u have to consider..charges..landing fees....crew accomodation..allowances....meal uplifting..handling charges..and the big amoung for royalties...when u have a joint service flight..now..i think..other routes include..INDIA...AUSTRALIAN..and some other european routes like Vienna...and AMS...well..VIE and AMS has got an almost full GCCL and EY cabin all the time..so..when they use 777 to VIE...having EY and GCCL filled up..thts a great thing....but u know..we are never gonna be in a position to judge all this....coz..theres a lot of things we dont know bout..like royalties..and all sorts of fees being paid..like do u know...MAS has to pay AI royalties for every pax tht purchases a ticket INDIA-KUL-LAX......thts what i mean..if they dont do so...theres no way a 747 is gonna be allowed to land in MAA..or for MAS to have a daily service to BOM.......lots of factors involved.....

yes sanjay, india-kul-lax is also very profitable. lots of IT nerds back and forth from bangalore and silicon valley. and MH gives the best connection and short waiting period between flights.

Woi! I'm an IT nerd oso laaa dry.gif sad.gif dry.gif

But your statement is very true! However, is MH the "CHEAPEST" alternative for these NRI's?

Besides LHR, AMS, SYD, MEL and perhaps PER, I would think:-

CAN(A330 & B744)

PVG (2 x B772)

MAA (B744 & A330)

SIN (A330 & B734)

CGK (A330)

CMB (A330)

What do you guys think ? Someone once said BKI as well, but many a times, my friends who flew the KUL-BKI-KUL said the flight was always fully booked but the pax that actually board the plane are a handful.

Azahan, on the INDIA-MALAYSIA-USA route, do they really have the least waiting time at KLIA compared to SIN or BKK ? Aren't the flights to LAX at noon everyday or about 1500hours ? Flights from India mainly arrive at around 5-8am. Almost half a day right ?

tongue.gif

Edited by kandiah k

..... What do you guys think ? Someone once said BKI as well, but many a times, my friends who flew the KUL-BKI-KUL said the flight was always fully booked but the pax that actually board the plane are a handful.

8123[/snapback]

Quite understandable - I had a BKI-KUL-BKI reservation done by office in KL, later called up MH phone centre to change KUL-BKI sector. Lo and behold, when I received the ticket, no change made. Went to MH office for endorsement of ticket and found out they made a new reservation for me instead of ammending original booking (booking reference was furnished) !! Basically, meant that I was booked twice on same flight BKI-KUL, then KUL-BKI on consecutive days !

Shouldn't there be some system where you can avoid this wasteful booh-booh ? Imagine the same scenario over peak periods (school holidays, festivals) when it's ever so difficult to get a booking. And yes, I've been on 'fully booked' flights with plenty of empty seats as well, not only domestic but international too.

Bing,

It could have been avoided when you told him/her your PNR-adress (Passenger's Name Record), IF you would have known that !

That there are still empty seats, even if they say "full flight" could be caused by noshow passengers, misconnections or weather related issues. I think, it's hardly caused by "double" bookings; it's good for stand-by passengers, though biggrin.gif

How about the least profitable route? Maybe KUL-JHB-CPT or Buenos Aires. HEHE.

8180[/snapback]

Or how about KUL-IPH-KUL?

Or how about KUL-IPH-KUL?

8195[/snapback]

Along with it being one of the most least profitable routes...im sure it's also one of the most boring routes...

Takeoff...sampai cruise (maybe not)... then Desend..... rolleyes.gif

How about the least profitable route? Maybe KUL-JHB-CPT or Buenos Aires. HEHE.

8180[/snapback]

KUL-JNB has a lot of business traffic and seats are often filled to the full so I'd be surprised if it's not making good money. The likes of TG and QR are also opening up new routes to JNB because the market to/from South Africa is certainly there.

The extention to EZE is another matter altogether. Being the only airline from Asia to fly there gives us some clue that is a very thin route or else other airline would be queueing to fly there (EK is the exception, they'd probably fly to Alor Setar if given a chance tongue.gif). The only other Asian airline to fly to South America is JAL, but then again, it's justifiably so considering Sao Paulo has the largest concentration of Japanese outside Japan, plus they have rights to carry passenger between JFK & GRU. Whatever demand there is between Argentina and South Africa can be filled by Varig & South African.

Can anyone give a good reason why MAS is still flying to EZE? I sure hope I'm missing something here.

Bing,

It could have been avoided when you told him/her your PNR-adress (Passenger's Name Record), IF you would have known that !

8179[/snapback]

Pieter,

Do you mean the six digit booking reference ? That was the second thing I offered to the lady at the other end of the phone line, after my name first that is ! And I did make it clear it was an ammendment, never did I say a fresh booking.

The mystery lingers I fear ! rolleyes.gif

Edited by Bing Chu

Sign in to follow this