MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
H Azmal

AK Plane veered off runway

Flights affected after AirAsia plane mishap

KOTA BARU: Three flights were affected after an AirAsia plane veered off the runway at the Sultan Ismail Petra Airport here and was stranded.

The flight – AK6329 – was taking off for the KL International Airport (KLIA) at about 10.40pm yesterday when its front and right wheels strayed onto the grass.

There were 89 passengers on the plane but no casualties were reported.

Following the incident, two MAS flights were also affected.

MH1426, which was coming from KLIA and scheduled to land at 11.30pm, was diverted back to KLIA.

MH1427, scheduled to take off at 6.45am today for KLIA, has been cancelled.

The three flights involved a total of 227 passengers.

Malaysia Airports Bhd Kelantan manager Mohd Ariff Jaafar, who confirmed the incident, said fortunately nobody was injured.

“This is the first time such an incident has happened at the airport here since it opened in 2003,” he added.

Is that a B733??

Before certain quarters start jumping to conclusions, let me just say - wait for a report or at least some credible inside information as to why this may have occurred.

Thankfully, nobody was injured.

Is that a B733??

Before certain quarters start jumping to conclusions, let me just say - wait for a report or at least some credible inside information as to why this may have occurred.

Thankfully, nobody was injured.

Was taking off, strayed onto grass? Hmmm, during taxiing into takeoff position maybe :blink:

“This is the first time such an incident has happened at the airport here since it opened in 2003,” he added.

Now which Kota Bharu airport that I flew in/out prior to 2003?? :blink:

Now which Kota Bharu airport that I flew in/out prior to 2003?? :blink:

I think the new airport refers to the new terminal, Mr. Norman, which is just besides the old terminal.

I think they meant that as "opened in 2003"..

Plane usually ran into grass during landing, how could it happended during take off? I don't get it!

My,i hope that incident would not happen on my flight to SBW tommorow evening (AK5926)...Now i'm began to feel uneasy on AK...

Plane usually ran into grass during landing, how could it happended during take off? I don't get it!

Lari tak cukup tanah kot.. hee hee

(ran out of runway perhaps?)

Guest Fendy

i always do that in flight sim :yahoo:

I believe when the newspaper reported during takeoff, it was getting into position for take off and possibly during a turn, the wheels slipped off the runway due to wrong judgment and went on the grass. If it has taken off, then it would have either taken off or landed safely. Above a certain speed, they are not allowed to abort take off anymore and there is no way they would have veered off the runway. That would have already been a failed takeoff crash. :D

Ahhh... a little drama at my little hometown airport.

I can almost hear Uncle Tony muttered, "See, that's why I stopped service to Ipoh. And that Kota Bharu Airport will definitely never see my precious A320's on its tarmac.", "Unless they extend the runway."

But seriously, I will be on the 1030 MH1426 to KBR this Thursday. No more mishap at the airport okay. I'll be on a very tight schedule.

:rolleyes:

Edited by ewan shamsudin

Ahhh... a little drama at my little hometown airport.

I can almost hear Uncle Tony muttered, "See, that's why I stopped service to Ipoh. And that Kota Bharu Airport will definitely never see my precious A320's on its tarmac.", "Unless they extend the runway."

But seriously, I will be on the 1030 MH1426 to KBR this Thursday. No more mishap at the airport okay. I'll be on a very tight schedule.

:rolleyes:

Good choice ewan :good: choosing MH over AK due "a very tight schedule" reason. To prove my point, I remember that last time in BKI, on my way to Sandakan (by the way, did anyone here know that Sandakan airport is coded SDZ for FAX-originated flight while for AK-originated flight is SDK?). Easily confused one, I tell you. Add that to the time to depart which is close to one another. Then add that to a confused AK staff manning the counter when the AK flight is RETIMED while the FAX on time. You tell them at the counter "Sandakan" and they'll say RETIMED when it did not.

On "a very tight schedule myself as well", MH is choosen to fly SDK there-and-then, and hurriedly to catch a connecting FAX flight to TWU later that day :blink: I have provided 5 hours of gap time yet I still subjected to this inconvenience. For a lesson learnt, on a tight schedule, always rely on MH. :good:

Talking about 'veering off' the runway; look at this:

Jakarta - Last tuesday, a plane of the Indonesian airline Mandala veered off the runway at the airport of Malang after landing, causing the undercarriage to rip-off the airplane, according to the Indonesian news-agency Antara. On board the plane, a Boeing 737-200, were 77 passengers. Nobody was hurt in the mishap.

The incident at Malang (East Java) was probably caused by heavy rains in combination with the short runway. The longest runway at the Abdul Rahman Saleh airport is only 1800 meters long.

Previously, in 2006, another Mandala Boeing 737-200 veered off the runway in Kalimantan, due to bad visibility caused by the forrest-fires. In September 2005, 146 passengers died after a crash of another Boeing 737 of Mandala at Medan/Sumatra.

:o

did anyone here know that Sandakan airport is coded SDZ for FAX-originated flight while for AK-originated flight is SDK?

How could that be? Is Sandakan not IATA airport? or FAX not IATA airlines? I thought every airport has its on designated code and must be followed by all airlines...

I haven't heard anything about this yet, so I can't say much.

First, remember that our reporters are not aviation-savvy. Maybe they don't know the difference between the airport, terminal or runway.The airport has been used during the Japanese invasion in WW2. The new terminal was open in 2003. Big difference.

A few possibilities. Could be aircraft went off the paved surface during turn at the end of runway, like MH A330 in KCH last year. That will most likely be pilot misjudgement during turn, plus non-availability of parallel taxiway. Could also be during taxi. Or takeoff roll at low speed, which could be due to sudden wind gust or mechanical error. A high speed incident will cause more damage.

Beter wait for the final report, or further news. Any AK insider here?

There were 89 passengers on the plane but no casualties were reported.

Following the incident, two MAS flights were also affected.

MH1426, which was coming from KLIA and scheduled to land at 11.30pm, was diverted back to KLIA.

MH1427, scheduled to take off at 6.45am today for KLIA, has been cancelled.

The three flights involved a total of 227 passengers.

Here is the real bad news. 227 - 89 = 140. Once again, other airlines are more affected. :angry:

Edited by Radzi

I haven't heard anything about this yet, so I can't say much.

First, remember that our reporters are not aviation-savvy. Maybe they don't know the difference between the airport, terminal or runway.The airport has been used during the Japanese invasion in WW2. The new terminal was open in 2003. Big difference.

A few possibilities. Could be aircraft went off the paved surface during turn at the end of runway, like MH A330 in KCH last year. That will most likely be pilot misjudgement during turn, plus non-availability of parallel taxiway. Could also be during taxi. Or takeoff roll at low speed, which could be due to sudden wind gust or mechanical error. A high speed incident will cause more damage.

Beter wait for the final report, or further news. Any AK insider here?

Here is the real bad news. 227 - 89 = 140. Once again, other airlines are more affected. :angry:

Exactly what i thought when i saw the news.

Load seem to be preety bad haha, can squeeze into one flight d.

Exactly what i thought when i saw the news.

Load seem to be preety bad haha, can squeeze into one flight d.

No...they can't squeeze into 1 flt,

'cos, out of the 140, some KBR-bound and the rest KUL-bound... :pardon:

But what Radzi meant was, other airlines are worst affected by this 'mistake', 140 against 89

(am I right, capt?)

Was taking off, strayed onto grass? Hmmm, during taxiing into takeoff position maybe :blink:

Like what had happened MH A330 before? :mellow:

Yeah,thankfully no injuries ..

Poor MH... When such incident happens, other people are more affected.

Plane veered off runway during takeoff? I always have that. Sometimes when I don't pay attention on the takeoff roll, I can't remain on the centerline and I keep on swaying left and right, and when you don't pay attention you tend to make huge inputs in corrections. When you finally roll very fast a huge input would probably send your a/c veering too much... So just roll onto the grass and rotate, and count on luck you won't meet the ditch by the runway... Hehe... Don't do this in real-life ok... Only simulators! :p

reporter mangkuk hayun. baik tak payah report.

translation "reporter lacks general knowledge. might as well don't report"

Sign in to follow this